Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxnonamexx

Porch speakers?

xxnonamexx
last year

I have an enclosed screened in porch. I have portable bluetooth speakers but I hate when they kick off etc. I use a UE Boom with aux port connected to an old ipod. I have heard polk audio sound well but I need amp or speakers with aux port that I can hook up the ipod to. Any ideas thanks

Comments (10)

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year
    last modified: last year

Is there a 110v power socket there? If so, most powered speakers (those with a built-in amplifier, Polk makes them as do others) should work. Some amplified speakers have analog L/R RCA socket inputs, those will work with a simple, inexpensive and easily found Y cord that has an Aux 3.5mm plug at the long end and two RCA plugs on each of the two Y ends.

Edit to add:

So as to not omit the obvious, speakers made to be used for desktop PCs will work too. They have have a 3.5mm Aux type plug. Better sounding ones need a 110v power supply.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    last year

Yes I have an outdoor outlet in my screened in porch. What polk speakers do you recommend? So I would just need to pet the soakers and plug the aux to ipod and that's it?. I wonder how long the cord is to plug in to outlet.

I'd like to put them in each side in the porch and behind the chair is the outlet. Unless you think better outside of porch?

• Kate
    last year

That Marshall Bluetooth speaker sounds really good.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    last year

Yes but for outside they are very pricy the Polk appear affordable.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    last year

Are these what you were soaking about they can do both? Pyle Pair of Wall Mount Waterproof & Bluetooth 6.5'' Indoor/Outdoor Speaker System, with Loud Volume and Bass. (Pair, Black. PDWR62BTBK) https://a.co/d/hXgj55n

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I didn't realize how "outside" this was. I'm going to back up and suggest two different approaches:

1) Outdoor active (meaning, with an onboard amp) bluetooth speakers that plug into power. Get a Pyle (or other brand) class d amplifier that broadcasts bluetooth.. Keep it indoors nearby or outdoors, plug in the ipod or other sound source.

2) Get passive (ie normal, unpowered) outdoor speakers. Run the speaker wires to a central point, drill a small hole through the wall (watch out not to hit anything in the middle) and wire it to a class d amplifier you keep on the inside. Fill the hole in the wall to be air and water tight.

Pyle (and other brand) Class D amps are less than $75 and sound fine. Such amps will have either an Aux input socket or RCA analog ones that you can connect your sound source to using a Y type cord I described above.

Hardwired speakers will sound better than Bluetooth wireless ones.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    last year

I agree hardwired sounds better. It appears the one from Amazone gives either or. DO you have any specific links based upon your recommendations? Thanks

• Elmer J Fudd
    last year

I'm not sure what you mean by either or. To be honest with you, I don't know if the Bluetooth capability is for input or output. If I had this task to do, I'd keep it vanilla - I'd hardwire speakers, poke them through the wall to connect to the amp. I'd connect the sound source to the amp by wire, either with an Aux 3.5 cord (if the amp has such a socket) or with the RCA route and a Y cord.

As for model or brand, I don't have a specific reference. I've a Pyle class-d amp I set up at a second home with bookshelf-size passive speakers to serve as the indoor "stereo" system. The sound source comes over wifi, it's a Sonos-like system that's no longer made but works the same way.

Speaking of Sonos, that's another alternative. You could get a Sonos speaker or speakers. It makes a relatively inexpensive battery powered model. The signal would be wireless to it, either over Wifi using a PC (controllable by a smartphone app) as the sound source (as for streaming websites) or doing the same with a bluetooth connection from a phone or tablet. Or use one of their tabletop powered models and don't leave it outside. Sonos also makes outdoor speakers too but they're pricey.

• mtvhike
    last year

Check out an internet seller called Parts Express, they have many products at all price ranges to answer this problem.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor