Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Help tricking out a cheese board with additional dishes and a cover

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

The son of my Dad's godson got married early this spring, and due to the pandemic and a lot of family issues (plus their buying a house and now expecting a baby) the reception and gift giving portion has been prolonged! We already gave them a monetary gift, but I want to gift them a cheese board from my late mother, who was close to the family. They eat a lot of wine and cheese type of foods at many family get together.

So I'm trying to trick it out to make it more functional. One thing was to get a cover for the center which I guess is for some type of block of cheese or dish. I got a clear acrylic one, 8 inches, but it extends a little far so when covered, the rest of the space on the board is much less. It goes well with another small cheese board for which we did not have a cover. I also found this plastic ice cream dish that we never use which goes OK with the set. I looked for a smaller cover, and found a 7 inch one but only glass. A six or seven inch one would work. I'd like clear acrylic because glass ones can break, and with a five year old and a baby on the way, ideally less breakable things. Not saying they won't ever use porcelain or stonewear, but I know less breakable stuff will get more use.

I've also been looking for something melamine that goes with the board, or plastic, for relishes. I'm giving them a set of three home made relishes to go along with the board--apple pie jam, fennel relish and a tomato bruschetta.

Edited to add that I don't want more wood. I know they make some nice pear and apple shaped wood bowls. I just find them fussy to use, have to be washed and dried right away. With both parents working and kids and family etc. I just don't think they will get used that much. That's how it went with Mom's wood salad bowls and that's how it goes with mine. I just don't find myself wanting to use them that often.

Here's a photo of the board and the design in the center. I have a cheese knife set already picked out. Just working on the cover and the dishes for the relishes to accompany the set.

Link to one possibility from Amazon. I like the dishes but they are ceramic. Not terribly expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NWH6P2J/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3CS01EHHY8Z1S&psc=1

Comments (8)

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Try a search for melamine ramekins or custard cups. I just looked and found several after sifting through a few results that also included some glass and ceramic ones. The filters dont always work as well as I would like.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    2 years ago

RAMEKIN, of course! I didn't think of that. I was searching for "small bowl."

My "go to" restaurant supply store has 1K different kinds. I think that includes all the color combinations though, not the styles, but there are still beaucoup.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/elite-global-solutions-d3c-tuscany-2-oz-design-melamine-ramekin-case/330D3CD.html

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    2 years ago

These are nice too, remind me of my late mother. She had a thing for fruit and vegetable shaped dishes . . . I gave a lot of them to the groom's mother, she has them on display in her kitchen. But again, ceramic . . .

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fig+leaf+shaped+bowl&prds=epd:4918628922853512432,eto:4918628922853512432_0,pid:4918628922853512432,prmr:1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB4sq48InzAhVXZ80KHed8DD0Q9pwGCAw

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Oh good, I’m so glad you got on the right track to finding something you like! I’m sorry i didn't have time earlier to get more specific, but hoped it would lead you to find something that met your needs.

• Springroz
    2 years ago

I have seen this 3 times and thought, ”I cannot have a CHESS board….I have cats!”

• lindac92
    2 years ago

Please.....no plastic! The world is full of people who raised 2 or more kids without resorting to melamine and acrylic. This is a gift make it lovely.....and I really doubt that at family wine and cheese functions the kids will be too active at the snacks table.

The board with the fruit ceramic piece in the center is for a small wheel of cheese...think a Brie or camembert, possibly a little goat cheese and the edge is for crackers. Not sure why you think it needs a cover? Given that my husband was in the cheese business we always did and I still do, serve cheese on a board for a bite with cocktails or wine. Unless you are outside during fly season, the cover is a pain. Even then it's a pain!

Wood needs to be wiped immediately....or left for the next day, but not put into the dishwasher. When I had family around I served salad every evening in a wooden bowl with individual wooden bowls for individual servings. Somehow it seems that the individual salad bowls have gone out of style, so now I toss my salad in a wooden bowl ( rubbed with a garlic clove) ands erve it onto plates

I suggest you rethink the ceramic and glass. People with children don't resort to using all melmac and plastic. They may have a set of dishes in a special cartoon theme for a child and the baby gets a sippy cup, but by the time they are 5 they are eating from real plates and using real glasses. Go with the cute ceramic.

• User
    2 years ago

I would not get a cover for the serving piece pictured. They aren’t necessary, for one thing, and for another the bottom rim of the cover will get messy and have to have a place to sit when someone takes the cover off. The cover will also slide around on the ceramic surface as there is no groove for it to fit into. The board as pictured, with a nice set of knives / spreaders and perhaps a gift certificate to a specialty cheese shop would make a nice gift. Chances are that unrelated dishes of a completely different style won’t be used, IMO.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Neither Mom nor I ever used this cheese board. One reason might be, both Mom and I tend to want to set cheese out to come to room temperature and also leave it out for nibbling over an extended period of time, both while entertaining and for family. I have a covered cheese board and so did Mom, now I have both plus an engraved charcuterie board I got as a wedding gift, that's what gets used. I don't necessarily always break glass stuff, but what can I say, I am clumsy.

Broken glass, ceramics and porcelain also end up in a landfill and don't break down. That's why they can study ancient civilizations, by the broken pottery left in their junk piles. I have a lovely teak salad serving bowl and set of matching salad bowls I inherited from my mother. I hardly ever use it. If I have a choice between the salad bowls that have to be immediately washed and dried or else the vinegar and water will degrade them, and the ones that can sit a while as I enjoy my guests, I gravitate towards the later. Also I most often entertain buffet style and stuff gets put out before and left out a bit after eating as I have to pick between engaging my guests and clean up. I tend to lean on the keep it simple end of entertaining as do most modern hosts. Not saying I never use the other stuff, just much less frequently. I love formal entertaining but so few millennials do it.