Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhododendron1

Selling vintage silverware?

Rho Dodendron
3 years ago

Grandma's traditional silverplate --service for 12 to be specific. It has been laying around unused in brothers home for years. Today I was asked if I wanted it or where to go to sell it. Besides replacements.com where does one go to in the U.S. to sell this set. It must be 80-100 years old with no sentimental value to anyone.

Comments (27)

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ebay.

Rho Dodendron thanked Mrs. S
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

That is a tough sell. Sterling does not fetch much these days.

Rho Dodendron thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

You could donate the service to a thrift shop which raises funds for a charity.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Do you have Nextdoor? Yeah, silverplate not in much demand. My sister has our mother's set.

Rho Dodendron thanked gsciencechick
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

Does your church have a kitchen and need extra flatware?

Rho Dodendron thanked bbstx
  • deeinohio
    3 years ago

Yes. Sterling is a hard sell. Silver plate is a near impossible sell. Maybe just use it?

Rho Dodendron thanked deeinohio
  • olychick
    3 years ago

Donate to a charity thrift shop. Someone who wants it will buy it.

Rho Dodendron thanked olychick
  • Lars
    3 years ago

I think sterling silverware has value that is not much more than the value of the metal, but this can be considerable. Silver plate next to worthless unless the pattern is so unique that it is worth replating.

I have two sets of sterling silverware, and we do not use them - mainly because we do not like the pattern, but that might change.

Rho Dodendron thanked Lars
  • unwantedadvice
    3 years ago

I had 2 old silver plate sets of my grandmother’s and I kept one setting each for display and the rest I donated to a high school art teacher who specialized in metal arts. She was most appreciative. Unless your brother insists on selling it, you’re better off donating.

Rho Dodendron thanked unwantedadvice
  • Allison0704
    3 years ago

eBay or local trading pages, FB Marketplace are good places to start, but you won't get much. I just donated a large set of vintage 1950s Sasaki Wheat glasses (mostly barware) that DD2 couldn't even sell in three MCM FB groups.

For sterling, a coin shop will purchase. I just sold a set for 90% of scrap. He will try to sell for a year or so, then scrap if not sold. (Note: it was not vintage/old, unwanted by family members and not needed. When moving/downsizing, you make decisions.)

Rho Dodendron thanked Allison0704
  • unwantedadvice
    3 years ago

@Allison0704, interesting abt a coin shop buying sterling for scrap. I’ve got my mother’s 3-piece sterling tea set and was hoping to sell but the handle is broken so maybe the coin shop would be the place to look. Thanks for the info.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

^^^A good jeweler may be able to repair that handle. @unwantedadvice

• unwantedadvice
    3 years ago

You know I’ve thought of that and even have a person’s business card for repairing silver but I’m not sure I even want to keep it. It just sits in a display cabinet and there’s no family history, parents bought it at an auction house decades ago. Problem is that no one in my family wants it, just like all my wedding china! It’s a common theme nowadays. But thanks for your input. 😀

• jill302
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Do you all wonder if any of these things will be come desirable again or just think the time has passed entirely? I have this worry in the back of my mind that my children or future grandchildren may decide they want thus down the line. That said it is a long shot I know.

I recently inherited 2 sets of sterling and 2 sets of silver plate. Two additional sets of China as well. I am probably going to sell one of the sterling sets and sell/donate the silver plate. The set of sterling I am keeping was my great grandmother’s and I really like it. The second set was my mom’s her second husband bought the set for her, the pattern is still very popular and as far as silver goes and it appears that I can sell if for a about 1/2 the current sale price. That will work for me.

• unwantedadvice
    3 years ago

I’m not sure there’s much value regarding this stuff anymore tbh. Silver has to be cleaned regularly, older china sets need to be hand washed, the list goes on. Most families now don’t want or need to be bogged down with such a responsibility so I think it’d just languish much like mine is doing. Mine, a Noritake set, and my grandmother’s old Syracuse china sits in those fabric zippered cases here and there at my house. One set each is out for display along with sugar/creamer. I like that but not sure what my adult kids would want to do with them. I’d like to dispose of them myself and not leave it up to them. I think unless you’ve got some sought after pieces of sterling or quite expensive china still in demand for some reason, you’re better off ditching them some way. Even old furniture pieces, even some that are antique in age, are sold for a song.

3 years ago

Sterling silver goes into the dishwasher. Only time you need to polish is when it comes into contact with egg yolk or such- mostly egg yolk at my house.

3 years ago

Jill, I don't think we'll ever see middle class people stretch to afford such things again. They are no longer positive status markers.

• Joaniepoanie
    3 years ago

If no one wants this stuff, why does Replacements charge so much? They want $35 for one dinner plate of my Noritake 1981 wedding china and $50 for one teaspoon of my everyday Oneida stainless bought in the 90’s. Same with eBay. Shouldn’t prices be low if it’s not in demand or rare?

Rho Dodendron thanked Joaniepoanie
  • maddielee
    3 years ago

@Joaniepoanie are they selling for those prices? Always check ‘completed auctions’ on EBay to see what things actually sell for.

• unwantedadvice
    3 years ago

I sold stuff to Replacements ages ago. Not really worth it IMO since at the time you had to pay for shipping yourself and double box it. Btw, Poshmark sells home stuff now so I may sell some items on my DD’s account. Smaller stuff since there’s a weight limit.

• unwantedadvice
    3 years ago

And does anyone know if older china has lead in it?? I’ve always wondered about my grandmother’s as well as my own from the early 70s.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

I hadn't thought about lead with fine china -- knew it was an issue with pottery. I just called Lenox to ask them about my mother's pattern as well as some antique pieces I bought to mix in with it. Anything pre-2000 with colors in the design could, I am told. If the color is only on the rim, there is little risk. My mother's gold border pattern is little risk, but anything with floral designs in the center should be used with caution (no heat or acidic foods) or not used for dining -- and definitely not for children.

• unwantedadvice
    3 years ago

Oh wow, thanks for that info! Very interesting. My grandmother’s Syracuse china has a gold border as well as an inner one and same with my set except in silver. And of course children ate off of it as it always came out on holidays. Good grief!

• lindac92
    2 years ago

If you are so concerned about lead in china, make sure you don't put your hands in garden soil.
    Sterling silver flatware is selling...SELLING on ebay for well more than the scrap price. And a set of silver plated flatware for 12, in good condition that has been polished and never dipped in tarnex or that thing with the foil and baking soda will sell for about $100....less if you have to add shipping.
    The only dishes I know that are of concern for lead, outside of Mexican tourist stuff, are Poppy Train and an early version of Fiesta ware red.

• deegw
    2 years ago

I suspect some of the more formal things that we valued are on their way to become more desirable but I think it will be a while. Currently, "granny chic" decor is popular on Instagram, it's only a matter of time before the mass marketers jump in. Mom jeans came back - anything can happen!

2 years ago

^^^^^^Hooray!!

Sponsored
More Discussions