"Thinking of You" Gift for Mom-to-be that I don't know well

Suzieque

The son of a family member (on my husband's side) and his wife are expecting their first child. I'm very fond of the family but have only met the mom-to-be once. I'm thrilled and have spoken to them on the phone a couple of times. As she's relatively new to the family, I'd like to send her a little something while she's pregnant.

I have already sent a baby gift ... early, yes, but I wanted to. I don't know this young woman well enough to send very personal things (like pre-natal massage certificate, body lotions, etc.), and maybe there's really nothing.

But - have any of you received anything from someone you've only met a couple of times, that meant something nice to you? Or given someone something in that type of circumstance?

They live in another state, btw, if that matters.

SaveComment28Like3
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucillle

I think a nice department store or Amazon gift card would be welcome by anyone, that way they can pick out something they can use. They will appreciate that you are thinking of them and feel welcomed to the family.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Suzieque
Fun2BHere

Letters to My Baby I always thought this gift was sweet and something a pregnant mother might enjoy doing.

Save    
blfenton

Perhaps some nice unscented hand and foot lotion combination. I only suggested unscented because you never know what irritates a pregnant woman! But I do like peppermint foot lotion.

Adella Bedella

How about a large tumbler for water or beverage of her choice? It could be feminine, have her name or mom or whatever on it. I'm suggesting this because one piece of advice given to me for when I had my babies was to have a large glass of water next to me when I nursed. She may not be doing that, but a nice large tumbler is nice anyway. Tervis has some really nice ones. Hydroflask is another brand that keeps drinks insulated really well, but maybe isn't as pretty.

Suzieque

Great ideas. Thank you.

Save    
Sammy

A soft, super-fluffy robe and slippers. The brand I’m thinking of, if I recall correctly, is Barefoot Dreams...I think.

Save     Thanked by Suzieque
maddielee

Truthfully? I’d feel a little strange to receive a gift (2 gifts) from someone I met once. I know you are wanting to be nice but maybe wait and take the mother to be a little something the next time you will be spending time with her.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
amylou321

No ideas on gifts but I think its a very nice thought. So often all the attention and gifts just go to the baby,with mom just seen as an incubator.

maifleur03

I am sort of with maddielee since it sounds like the soon to become mother is a member of the extended family and not a member of the immediate family. While on the face of it sending something for the mother is nice having her scrambling to remember just who you are is not something she probably needs or wants to handle at this stage. if anything send a gift card with a notation that you would like her to spend it on herself. Include your name and address on the card along with your relationship.

nickel_kg

Flowers? A small box of nice chocolates? Fruit basket?

OutsidePlaying

How much do you want to spend? Garnet Hill has some beautiful (and versatile) cashmere wraps and they are having a 20% off sale now I think. I have known people who have used wraps to construct a baby born wrap for a baby, and of course it can always be rolled up and carried in case needed for warmth in a restaurant or out on a walk. Or just cuddle up at home with it. So soft.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
maire_cate

Outside - we must be related! I was also going to suggest the Garnet Hill wrap. I gave my DDIL one a few years ago before she was pregnant. She's pregnant again with her second baby and she mentioned recently that there were 2 things that I had given her that she found very useful both during and after her pregnancy.

One was the wrap and the other was the Eddie Bauer sleep sweater. I pulled up the thread to link it and noticed that you liked them too.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5531756/important-announcement-re-eddie-bauer-sleep-sweater

Suzie you may not want to buy the sweater since it can be difficult to determine the size. I gave my DDIL a large one so that it would be roomy enough to wrap around her belly. She said that she also used both items while breastfeeding.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I’d go with flowers or a pot of growing bulbs. There’s no way of knowing her taste in clothes or household items and gifts the recipient doesn’t like are just embarrassing for both parties. And some of the suggestions would be quite expensive which adds to the embarrassment and sense of obligation of the giftee. In fact, I might just send a card or letter. You’ll have years to get to know her and choose suitable gifts. Starting big just ups the ante.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
Suzieque

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I was intentionally a bit vague in my description of the relationship - I know, I know, silly but I do think about online anonymity; I apologize if that threw people off. Maddielee and Maifleur, your points are well taken given the info I provided.

In fact, we have a very small family and both the husband and wife are from divorced parents with only much younger step-siblings. One other relative and I have been the closest to the husband as he grew up, so we are particularly thrilled and wanting to continue to support the young couple.

Yes, I don't want to over-do it; you're very right. I don't want to be that crazy, overbearing, overindulging person. Well, I kinda do (haha), but no.

I love the thoughts you've given and the time you've taken to respond. Thank you, all.

2 Likes Save    
Judy Good

I loved to give a nursing gown and robe. Of course you would have to know if they are breast feeding. I also love the pedicure idea. You know when you are big as a house, you cannot reach your feet.

chisue

I'd keep it *small*, not to feel intrusive. I like the flowering plant or bulb idea, something not necessarily related to Baby, but that both parents-to-be could enjoy.

What's the due date? I'm uncomfortable with getting too far ahead...presuming too much.

Suzieque

Due date is April. All seems fine. A baby girl. Although I like the thought of the plant, I wonder if she'll think it's just one more thing to have to take care of. Hmmmm. Will ponder! Thanks again.

1 Like Save    
chisue

I was thinking of an amaryllis or paper whites. They come planted. She could keep it or dump it once it's finished blooming. I don't think these have strong scent.

maifleur03

Paper whites have a very strong scent although one of the local garden clubs this year mentioned that they had two kinds this year. One with the traditional scent the other lighter scented. How strong???? Well I took a couple of cut ones to work and I told my fellow employees that if the scent bothered anyone I would remove them. When I came back from lunch people on the other side of the building had called security because of the smell.

bragu_DSM 5

a plethora of diapers

sushipup1

Please don't give a plant unless you know for sure that she likes plants. Give me a plant, and I'll regift it to a neighbor before your car is out of sight.

graywings123

I agree. Nothing that requires even an iota of work.

floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I deliberately said a pot of growing bulbs, not a plant. Potted bulbs grow, flower for a couple of weeks and then get thrown out, unless you are a gardener and want to keep them. They don’t need any care other than an occasional drop of water. An amaryllis or bowl of daffs is no more difficult to look after than a bunch of cut flowers. And they’ll be long gone by the time she’s looking after a baby.

sushipup1

I'd still toss them. I don't like plants. And I'm not the only one.

chisue

OK, I'll withdraw my flowering bulb idea. I didn't remember that they 'smell'. What else would work as a small token of 'thinking of you' that isn't overboard or All About Baby? Many of the more personal ideas, like pedicure coupons, may be difficult during Covid.

I'm crazy about my 3 pair of wool ankle socks ($20) bought from YUN on Amazon.

sushipup1

I'd pursue the "welcome to the family" angle. Is there something that is family history or lore or favorites that might be good direction? Cookbook of the regional ethnic foods of the family, be it Texas BBQ or German cookery. I am superstitious enough to play down gifts for the baby until the baby is here and healthy. (Comes after my closest cousin's first baby was stillborn almost 50 years ago. She refused any baby gifts/showers for her two subsequent pregnancies, both healthy.)

Save    
Rusty

Personally, I think any kind of gift could easily be over-kill, seeing as how you don't know her, or her, you, all that well. And you've already sent a baby gift. But a pretty 'thinking of you' greeting card would let her know you care without overstepping. And it would be something she could put in the baby book, or a scrapbook, as a remembrance of a special time in her life.

Rusty

Save    
sprtphntc7a

ask the family member^^ to get some ideas of what she enjoys!

i love body butter lotion with a light, fresh smell! but its not for everyone.

i would get something specifically for her to enjoy or make her life easier in some way. agree with others about the flower idea. i love flowers/succulents - my sister, wants NOTHING to do with any of it.

amazon card

visa card

if she is a tea or coffee drinker: go that route.

cast iron tea pot, if she is a tea drinker

a set of all occasion cards, so she doesn't have to go to store

IOU from you to take care of baby so she go get a hair cut etc...

IOU from you to just fold laundry or so she can get a shower in peace - of course if your relationship warrants these^^

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Decorating Guides 15 Well-Designed Father's Day Gifts
Snag a Few Gift Ideas for Dad from Some of Our Favorite Designers
Full Story
Gardening Guides A Mom, a Garden and a Gift for the Neighbors
Gardening can be therapeutic in unexpected ways. See how one gardener found peace and purpose in a patch of Florida soil
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
As a full-service, family-owned remodeling company in New Albany, OH, we strive to bring our clients incredible... Read More