Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_schopfer

Side by side induction ranges

Missy S
3 years ago

We are building a new house and cannot find a 60 inch range with induction burners. Do you think side by side Wolf 30” ranges would look alright? It doesn’t have a silver border around the cook top.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO no residence needs a 60” range they are not even used in commercial kitchens so unless you cook for 20 3x a day there is no reason for all that range . I have no idea what your kitchen looks like but IMO wolf has always been over rated and overpriced for their gas and IMO induction ranges should be made by companies that specialize in induction ranges not as after thought of gas.

• Missy S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The plan calls for a 60” range because of the double ovens, and they don’t have wall ovens. Is there a brand of induction you like better? The builder had planned on Wolf but we likely have options. Also I love to bake and cook.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So IMO wall ovens are much nicer to use and wall ovens do not need to be from the same maker as the cooktop and if you have space for a 60” range you have space for full sized wall ovens which IMO are just a nicer choice for function. I like gas for cooking and I have an all gas 6 burner range and double electric wall ovens all are convection but I do like to bake some things in a gas oven like pizza and bread for sure. I run a catering biz from my home and have never needed more oven space or range space . I often do catering for 100 .I do have a portable induction burnr I use for delicate sauces and melting chocolate . I have had 3 clients now go back to gas from induction that they insisted on . I think really analyze how you cook to choose any appliance and I never get all applinace from one maker becuase there is no one maker that makes everything well. If you reallly want to go crazy check out the 60” cooktop choices from Gagganeau that is the route I would take if this was the size I wanted .BTW your builder or architect should not be designing your kitchen get an independant kitchen designer to do this right.

• Missy S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They have an in house designer and we are buying a spec home but have the ability to pic selections. I included pics of the current plan for the house. I don’t know where wall ovens could go- I would definitely prefer a cook top with wall ovens. The issue we have with gas is the indoor air quality - my husband has a rare lung condition so we are really trying to do everything we can.

• Missy S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the kitchen plan

• course411
    3 years ago

You have miles of wall space and counter space. Plenty of ways to get cooktop and wall ovens in.

• Missy S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Where would you put the wall ovens

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

How about two LG Studio LSIS3018SS induction ranges? It has a more modern appearance than LG's other induction ranges.

• crcollins1_gw
    3 years ago

What is the closet space to the right of the stove? I would consider stealing the end of it and put the ovens there.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

42" Induction cooktop pair it with double wall ovens.

• rmsaustin
    3 years ago

If you went with a 36" induction cooktop, you could easily fit 30" wall oven/s to the right of the cooktop. You could do double ovens, or do a regular oven with a speed oven or steam oven. You would lose the drawers to the right of where the range is now, but would gain 2-3 drawers (depending on required clearances for the cooktop) underneath the cooktop.

Unlike Patricia's clients, I had a gas cooktop (actually a combo - 4 gas and 2 induction from Bertazzoni) and changed to all induction (after realizing I almost never used the gas hobs over the induction) and would never go back. I have the Wolf 36" induction cooktop and have been extremely happy with it. If you decide to go the induction cooktop/wall oven route - I would recommend checking out the Wolf and the Miele; others on this site have also liked the Bosch.

Whatever you decide, your kitchen (based on the model photo) will be gorgeous!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That kitchen is designed more for looks than for function, IMO. You have plenty of space, as has been pointed out, but that includes a fridge which is miles away from the range, and on the other side of a barrier island. Venting would be much easier on an exterior wall, but I'm assuming the windows can't be changed and/or you want to preserve the symmetry? I'd agree that wall oven(s) will be more convenient, especially if you plan to age in place in this home.

NKBA guidelines (good kitchen planning info)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

The layout looks fine to me. It allows other people in the home to use the fridge without getting in the cooks way

• Missy S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you guys so much - I think we will see about doing a smaller cooktop and hopefully be able to make wall ovens work.

• kaseki
    3 years ago

@User: Here is a short electrical story [pun intended]. Not more than a decade ago, when I was constructing my kitchen reno, I went to get my electrical permit and mentioned that I intended to have the service upgraded to 400A from 200A, mostly for lower impedance. Our town's chief electrical inspector, who moonlighted as an instructor for wannabe electrical inspectors, tried to bet me that I couldn't pull more than 90A. As it happens, with the usual electric kitchen, a dryer, a sauna heater, pool and pond pumps, large air compressor, 6-head split cycle air conditioning, lights everywhere, etc., after some analysis I was pretty sure I could have eked out 120A with some improbable combinations, but I declined to bet. I think that unless one also has electric house heat, electric driveway heating, electric pool heat (not heat pump), and a few other large loads, getting past 200A is going to be difficult. No one is going to be pulling 80A from a pair of induction cooktops with all hobs on full power. As it happens, I haven't ever seriously loaded my 20 kW generator in the few times it has had to run for an extended period, although in practice my dryer use was kept out of phase with cooking.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

This might cover all the bases and desires you have.

Induction Mixes with Gas Cooktop · More Info

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Side by side 30" Wolf gas + induction.

2019 Fair Oaks Contemporary · More Info

• chispa
    3 years ago

How about doing a 36" Wolf Induction range and then a separate Miele CSO (convection steam oven) XXL. You could put the Miele CSO all the way at the end of the cabinet run to the left of the sink.

If you don't know what a Miele CSO is, just search on this site and you will find lots of old threads. Most of us who have a Miele CSO have found that that is the oven we use all the time. Mine is a plumbed model, so it is connected to water and drain.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@MelissaSchopfer - OP states she can't use gas because of health issues. I think the 2 Wolf's side by side could work, but it wouldn't be my first choice. If a 36 inch induction cook top will be enough for you then I'd do that with wall ovens. Miele makes a 42 inch induction cooktop, but it still only has 5 burners, so not much different than the 36 inch models. I'm doing a 36 inch Blue Star induction cooktop with Wolf double ovens. I wanted knob controls on my cooktop, not digital - there aren't many knob based induction cooktops available. I think the Blue Star blends nicely with the Wolf. Your kitchen seems large enough to have wall ovens if you tweak your design.

• strickon
    3 years ago

I have seen side by side wolf induction and it looks great.

Check out the first house in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b8xuMS1tc4&t=69s

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Video was interesting - imo, that first house was one of the most cold and uninviting places I've seen recently.

• acdclosgatos
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

MIssy S. Curious about what you chose to do.

I placed two 30" Samsung dual fuel slide-in ranges side by side in my kitchen.

Here is a video from another couple: https://www.chrislovesjulia.com/how-our-frigidaire-professional-appliances-transformed-our-kitchen-and-how-we-use-it-a-video/

Blog: https://thelesliestyle.com/two-30-lg-gas-ranges-side-by-side-in-the-new-lake-house-kitchen/

http://www.stevensearsbuildingco.com/storage/app/media/KitchenToDining_After1.jpg

https://www.reviewjournal.com/homes/real-estate-millions/check-out-the-view-from-luxury-community-anthem-photos/

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2288344/side-by-side-ranges-bad-idea

If anyone is considering TWO ranges here is why I did it:

I'm more comfortable bending down to use my oven than having wall ovens. Stacked wall ovens are NOT comfortable height for my 5' 2" frame. Also average height of American women is 5' 4".

I like pulling things out of the oven and putting the dishes on the range top vs having trivets on the countertops & our installer told use Quartz can get a thermal shock and crack.

Having two wall ovens side by side and then having drawers under them was not appealing to me and I would have to have trivets on the countertops when using them.

I originally looked at 48" & 60" wide ranges BUT between the price and features I get more with two 30" ranges.

1. COST/MORE FOR LESS- 48" ranges cost over $9500 & 60" ranges cost over $13.500.

Getting two 36" cooktops with at least 6 burners each and two 30" wall ovens with all the features of the slide-in ranges actually is more money. In my case I would of spent about $1,000 per wall cabinet to have the wall ovens at a comfortable height. Wall oven Base Cabinets are $400 each w/o cabinet installation costs.

I got 2 Samsung Dual Fuel ranges for less than two cooktops and two wall ovens plus the required cabinets to house those appliances which require cabinet AND appliance installation. Our ranges had the gas line install done when the plumber was doing faucet install. We were able to plug-in the ranges and then slide them in ourselves.

2. OVEN & COOKTOP SIZE- Wall ovens max out at 5.1 cu ft. while freestanding GE Cafe and the Samsung Flex Duo ranges' ovens are larger. We use both Samsung range tops & ovens for holidays, dinner parties, and company parties.

I have 4 burners plus an oval griddle burner on each of my Samsung Ranges & my friend has 6 burners on her GE Cafe Range. Our ranges are 29.8-30" wide so we have more cooking power & versatility on our 30" range tops than what a 30" cooktop offers.

3. FEATURES- Ranges have more features than wall ovens

a. Self Cleaning

b. Proofing

c. Air-Frying cooking option

d. Probe temperature cooking for meats.

e. Warming Drawer or Storage drawer

f. Sabbath Mode (for re-sale value which ties in w/ rest of kitchen)

g. Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth remote control of oven

4. RELIABILITY/ REPAIR COSTS- Ranges are considered more reliable than cooktops and I paid for two extended warranties vs four extended warranties.

We live in the mountains so it actually takes longer to get service repair. We also have rolling blackouts so we chose gas/ propane. We also found repair costs are higher for the 48" & 60" ranges and separate cooktops plus wall ovens. The repair companies charge per appliance serviced.

Keeping up with the Jones for resale purposes we found majority of houses in our area have 2 kitchen sinks, 2 dishwashers , double ovens, and an oversized individual freezer and refrigerator. We saw many kitchen islands have the 2nd sink & 2nd dishwasher. We opted for 2 bottom freezer refrigerators with the doors facing each other which is similar to higher end brands & if one unit breaks down we have back up.

Our friend/ broker says we have a kosher kitchen, entertainer's kitchen, chef's kitchen, and multi-cook kitchen.

You can get a high end look w/o the costly Viking or Wolf appliances, which have reliability issues.

I recommend picking and choosing the best appliances in the same color DON'T choose everything from the same brand.

Do your research and speak with appliance repair people. We found out LG refrigerator compressors blow out quickly and have a lawsuit regarding cooling issues/ compressors. Many Samsung refrigerators are recalled and have a pending lawsuit- https://kdvr.com/news/problem-solvers/thousands-of-consumers-complain-about-defective-samsung-refrigerators/

Various GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, & Bosch dishwashers are recalled b/c of fire hazard. Some LG, GE, Viking gas ranges have recall due to fire hazard.

Check what you purchase especially if it's a used appliance.

• acdclosgatos
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

UPDATE: Many still deciding on two 30" ranges vs one 60" range & looking at this post.

We actually exchanged our Samsung ranges for TWO GE Cafe ranges- one 30" range is ALL gas including the oven which is great for broiling veggies, meats, finish off poultry skin to crisp after cooking in paper/ wrapped AND one 30" range is dual-fuel so I have oven for baking. I wish I had an oval burner for the griddle for more even heat when I use my griddle pan. I saw that numerous HGTV designers were using GE Cafe appliances in their designs for higher end homes like Windy City rehab and Rock The Block houses selling for over $1.7million. The GE Cafe 30" ranges also have warming drawers which I like.

I got an Imperial vent hood on sale and a makeup air system.

New building codes require what is called “make-up air” to be installed when a kitchen ventilation hood exceeds 400 CFM (cubic feet of air per minute).

After 3 months, I had issues with one Samsung range's oven, display, and lights not working. The tech had asked about usage. I was using one range a bit more for Easter, July 4th, a company outdoor summer party, & many outdoor dinners with friends. The tech told me to look into returning them given there was a delay getting parts and said I could get better ranges for a little more money. The tech asked if I had considered other brands beside Samsung & LG. I was able to return because of 90ish day return policy at Costco.

I don't know what ranges I would buy now. GE reliability & quality are both very mixed now since Chinese company Haier bought the GE appliance division.

GET AN AMEX for all appliances if you are not purchasing at Costco. Amex not only extends the warranty at least 1 year but AMEX does support consumers way more than Visa does if you do get a bad or lemon appliance.