Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisntine

Motorized window shades -- what happens when they break?

chrisntine
3 years ago

We're considering Bali motorized cellular shades (with battery power source) and wondering if it's worth paying so much extra for motorized shades? I've seen varying reviews on how well they work and am concerned the otherwise lifetime warranty is only 5 years for the motor parts.

For those of you who've had motorized shades (any brand) -- if the motor breaks or battery dies, can you still easily lift/lower the shades manually? Or do you end up fighting the non-working motor trying to raise and lower them?

Our windows aren't high, but one is above a bed and the other is for my young daughter, so we'd prefer motorized controls. But if the motor eventually dies, we don't mind adjusting them manually -- we just don't know if it will be harder then or if we're better off just getting regular shades.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (12)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

I would pose this question to the manufacturer. Have you looked at reviews online on Google and Yelp?

chrisntine thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • chrisntine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I've combed online reviews and messaged Bali but not sure I'll get a reply before the online sales end in a couple days. Appreciate your help. :)

• maggieq
    3 years ago

We purchased a home with existing motorized (battery) shades. Replaced batteries as needed. Several had strings break and we found a shade repair shop to fix them. Not able to move manually.

chrisntine thanked maggieq
  • highdesertowl
    3 years ago

We also purchased a home with existing motorized shades. The shade could never be raised or lowered manually, only with the remote, or button on the shade header. Also, our shades ran on 8 AA batteries that needed constant (every few months) replacement. Finally, on the Southern side of the home, that received the most sunlight, the sun hitting the shade header seemed to corrode the batteries. Whenever we replaced batteries on that side (which was often) the batteries were covered in residue of some kind. Personally, after that experience I will never do motorized shades unless in a situation where a completely out of reach shade needs to be raised/lowered daily.

chrisntine thanked highdesertowl
  • chrisntine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you maggieq and chocolatesnap! Your info is so helpful, really appreciate it!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

EVERYTHING BREAKS. Eventually : )

Battery packs are the least desirable. In a kids room? Plantation shutter is perfect, needs no other treatment. Same with over a bed. A finished look, and done. smooth faux wood is great.

With all else, the pieces and parts come from China, price is not a guarantee, and the only way I would do motorized is a hard wire.

Plenty of shades can be had cordless, but even those can fail. Best are Hunter Douglas from a reliable dealer, there is vast selection, including shutters. They will last YEARS

SHADES?? ONE year warranties. One year is all you get from anywhere , and anyone. You can fix.......and pay to do it. : )

chrisntine thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I have installed solar shades motorized on very large tall windows but i see really no point in regular sized windows where it is easy to do manually . I get mine from Steves blinds and other than changing batteries have had no big issues. I hate plantation shutters so those would be my last choice for heat and UV control.

chrisntine thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • chrisntine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

JAN MOYER I love those shutters thanks for the pics! I'm also not a fan of cellular shades aesthetically but they do seem to help with insulation and price makes my husband happy. :). Someday I'll get my dream shutters in the family room. :)

Patricia Colwell Consulting thanks so much for the feedback and Steve's blinds tip. Yes, the windows aren't high, but daughter and I are very short! :0

FYI anyone following this thread -- I heard today from Springs Window Fashions which manufactures Bali blinds and they confirmed if the motor fails, the blinds cannot be moved up/down manually.

Thanks again everyone!

• recordaras
    3 years ago

We have quite a few different window treatments, and cord loop Balis in our bedroom and cordless in the bathroom. To be honest they are on the chopping block to be replaced eventually. The cord pull doesn’t move very smoothly and the cordless is very sticky. I am very much not impressed with the brand and wouldn’t invest in their motorized solution based on this. We also have Norman, Vista and Comfortex and I would pick one of those over Bali if you are looking for something less expensive than Hunter Douglas.

• HU-875274039
    2 years ago

You are wise to ask this question. We installed motorized shades in our passive solar home 8 years ago. They worked really well for about a year, then started having problems with programming, hours of headache, jury-rigging, shipping costs, reinstalling. Like you said, the motor system is convenient when it works. When it doesn't, if there isn't a manual option, the shades are useless. We are ready to replace the system. I am looking for motorized shades with a manual option, and if they don't exist, we're going manual this time.

• Strong Eagle
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I'm late to this party... found this thread in a search for Bali motorized cellular shade parts. Here's my $0.02.

I've had Bali motorized shades for 6 1/2 years now. I have three separate shades on single headrail. They've mostly worked flawlessly during that time. But, about a year ago, two of them started squeaking, and as of this writing, one quit working altogether.

The issue is not the Somfy motors that power them (Somfy is used in many blind brands) but rather the raising and lowering mechanism itself... a small threaded piece, critical to operation has broken (see the photos).

Bali customer support has not been very useful. They are very slow to respond and misunderstood my requests in two emails. I am hoping that the third time is a charm and that they can help me source the parts; I've had no luck so far.

To answer your specific question: No, you cannot operate the blinds manually in case of failure; the motor is geared to the raise/lower rollers and they cannot be moved without removing or operating the motor.