Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carl_shuptrine

Using a black stainless range hood with stainless steel appliances

Carl Shuptrine
3 years ago

I am in the midst of a kitchen remodel. We will have grey stained base cabinets with white painted wall cabinets and a white quartz countertop. We are purchasing mostly GE Profile stainless steel appliances. However, I am drawn to the look of the GE Profile black stainless range hood vs the regular ss range hood. Is this going to look off if it is the only black stainless feature in the kitchen? I am hoping that because the rest of the appliances have black glass features(cooktop, control panel, etc.) that this will look ok. We will likely have black matte cabinet hardware and a black (matte or black stainless) faucet for the kitchen sink. Am I doing too much? Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments (13)

• flopsycat1
    3 years ago

I don’t know if this is what you are considering, but I think it looks great. Don’t think it would look “off” with stainless appliances.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO it looks like you couldn’t find a stainless one that black has no connection tot he rest of the space so maybe if there were black hardware it might work. BTW if you were my client I would strongly suggest you do not get all appliances from one maker there is no one maker that makes all good. Take some time and really check out how each appliances works for how you cook.I aslo think colored stainless is just weird and will go by the wayside just like every other colored appliance , just plain old stainless is still IMO the best choice always.

• K R
    3 years ago

I would stick with stainless. It will stick out IMO.

• lmp1959
    3 years ago

I agree with @flopsycat1 - with your other black accent I think the black hood makes a statement that I like!

• flopsycat1
    3 years ago

Adding to my comment above, I don’t know anything about the durability of black stainless finishes. Aesthetically, however, I think the range hood would look great, especially with the black faucet and cabinet hardware that you mentioned. It adds a little interest, and diverges from the requisite stainless vent hood.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think it depends on your other materials choices. It could work if there are black accents elsewhere, i.e. matte black faucets, matte black cabinet hardware, black iron light fixtures, etc.

• Carl Shuptrine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all your opinions. @Patricia. As it turns out, we are doing a Bosch dishwasher and a samsung microwave, but the refrigerator, range and hood are GE Profile. After much scouring of the internet I actually found the exact application I was looking to do with the GE range I'm looking at with a hood from a different brand. What do those of you with the trained design eye think?

• Missi (4b IA)
    3 years ago

I think those last two pictures look nice. If the lack has something to relate too, why not?

• Design Girl
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

IMO, the kitchen posted above is a hot mess. The subway tile and patterned tile have a very different feeling and read very busy. The floor is totally off. The granite is old school. I think the hood looks cheap.

• Carl Shuptrine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Girl Do you think the hood looks cheap because of the color or the style or both?

• Patrick K.
    2 years ago

Black accessories look great. I myself have a black hood and sink in my kitchen. It all depends on your taste!

• Paula M Zachery
    10 days ago

I think Design girl is very rude. You could have stated your comments in a kinder way. I would never hire someone like you that doesn't know how to treat others kindly.