Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
Elyse_gc

Bosch appliance reviews

Élyse GC
3 years ago

Hello to all,

We sold all our appliances with our past house and are shopping for new ones.

We are looking at a 36" counter depth fridge, a 30" induction range and a dishwasher with custom panel.

For kitchen appliances, so far, we are tempted to go with all Bosch for the overall quality, not opened to go anymore expensive than this.

Fridge: https://www.bosch-home.ca/en/productlist/refrigerators/fridge-freezers/freestanding-fridge-freezers-with-freezer-at-bottom/B36CT80SNS

Range: https://www.bosch-home.ca/en/productlist/cooking-baking/slide-in-ranges/induction-slide-in-ranges/HII8056C 

Dishwasher: https://www.bosch-home.ca/en/productlist/dishwashers/top-controls/SHVM63W53N 

Any reviews or advice one these choices would be appreciated!

Furthermore, I am looking for a top load washer (and whichever matching dryer...) that is good for large, heavy loads and will last me as long as possible! I have no patience for small loads :) Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Élyse

Comments (59)

• armjim
    3 years ago

Not related at all to Bosch, but what caught my eye was your French door refrig. I just came back from the grocery store and fought with and cussed at ours yet again. We have a very nice KA but oh how I wish we would have bought a side by side. Just wanted to throw that in.

• aamassther
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’ve had an induction range for almost 10 years that has no knobs. I’ve never said “I miss just turning a knob”. Or more precisely, I miss pushing a knob in to engage it to turn to an arbitrary spot on a dial that I have to rely on my muscle memory learning to find it again when I need it in that spot the next time.

Yes, I was being snarky on purpose, to say that we as consumers have our preferences to what works for us as individuals. Personally, I much prefer the the precision that electronic controls offer. I’m in the process of upgrading my range as well. I would like a slide in with a bridge element and true convention. The Bosch Benchmark range is on my shortlist, for the exact reason the above post calls a negative. I also really like that clean up is that much easier without the knobs to worry about, just a quick wipe with a microfibre and the control panel is clean.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

The GE range doesn't have knobs. The Bosch Benchmark is nearly identical to the 800 with the same inefficient cooktop control design but a slightly different slider at a higher price, of course.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    3 years ago

I love our Bosch dishwasher (we had one in our old house as well) and I love my French door refrigerator (though it's a Frigidaire and not Bosch).

Having gone through the appliance hunt several years ago for our new house, I think "long lasting" appliances are now an outdated concept, sadly. Most seem to have fairly short lives, and it's a complicated dance to find the best quality appliance for the least outrageous amount of money given the relatively short lifespan.

• nhb22
    3 years ago

My daughter purchased new Samsung W/D's about 4 months ago and loves them! Large top loading doors and the units hold a lot of laundry.

We are getting the Bosch Crystal Dry dishwasher for our new home. Have heard great things about it. A cousin has had them in her last 3 homes.

• Rachel
    3 years ago

Crystal Dry dishwasher really does dry the plastics better than my previous Bosch DW, but I've noticed you can't use it on the Econo Cycle, so it takes 2 hr 55 minutes.

• A Seybo
    3 years ago

My Bosch dishwasher is 17 years old. Love it. Scrubs every dish -zero prewashing. Never had a problem ordering parts for it.

• jennsbabysky
    3 years ago

How soon do you need the appliances? And if soon, are these in stock where you live?

We're in the process of buying a dishwasher because the cost to repair ours is more than the dishwasher is worth and it is unknown how soon the parts will arrive (all 3 have been on order for a month with no ETA yet). We decided to purchase a new dishwasher and I wanted Bosch because I loved the Bosch in our last home. ETA is estimated at 8 weeks+ where I live. Best Buy had a decent KitchenAid model in stock and I purchased that, but they only had a handful of stainless steel dishwashers in stock (about 20 across all brands), but that likely is regional.

• Brandie May
    3 years ago

We just purchased a Bosch appliance suite, really hoping we love them. As far as a washer and drier, look at Speed Queen, their top loads will actually fill with water and wash a load quickly, also dries in less than 30 minutes.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I bought a Bosch dishwasher back in the early summer, and I've been more than pleased with it so far -- does a great job washing and rinsing and is very quiet.

• Kellie Mensink
    3 years ago

we have had a Bosch dishwasher for over 10 years with no issues. I know you said you were getting a top loader but we have had our Bosch washer and dryer for almost 15 yrs with absolutely no issues.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

@ armjim - I've not had a French door refrigerator, but I've had side by side and bottom freezer and I'll take bottom freezer every time. I used to struggle with the side by side. I love the large refrigerator section and the bottom freezer with slide out baskets has worked out well for us. No refrigerator freezer is large enough for us, so we have a separate stand alone freezer in the basement.

• Élyse GC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

jennsbabysky Luckily, we are moving into our new house in the spring only, so plenty of time to get the appliances! We are located in Quebec, Canada, so far the supply does not seem to be an issue for the range and for the dishwasher, however the frigde is back order....

Also for comments about french doors, I know its not always ideal, but we really want a 36" wide fridge, since we are going for counter depth!

• kirbybunny7
    3 years ago

We've had our Bosch counter depth fridge since June and we love it. Beautiful on the inside (some of the competition had a lot of plastic inside).

https://www.abt.com/product/136227/Bosch-800-Series-36-Stainless-Steel-Counter-Depth-Refrigerator-B36CT80SNS.html

Also have a Bosch Benchmark dishwasher which also gets 2 thumbs up but I think that particular model has been discontinued.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Now that's a nice looking fridge and appears to have a bottom freezer as well. That was one of the issues I had with a side by side, is that the freezer side was too narrow and didn't allow for wider items to be stored. Having a full width bottom freezer would take care of that complaint for me. The other complaint with a side by side was less visibility when it's deeper than wider.

• jennsbabysky
    3 years ago

Glad that you have enough lead time! Well we love our Bosch Refrigerator and I miss our old Bosch DW. I can't speak to the other appliances. Good luck!

• Rachel
    3 years ago

I just bought the same Bosch fridge. it is good looking

• Kathie
    3 years ago

Bosch dishwashers are great! Have been impressed for years, purchased entire suite of appliances a few months ago. Double oven has been great as well. Not as impressed with stovetop and completely disappointed with refrigerator.

Bosch French Door Refrigerator Warning - Poor design and defies logic when the majority of consumers are right-handed and have had side-by-sides in the past. The mullion on the Bosch french door is attached to the right door. Because I am right-handed I open with the right door but the mullion gets in the way. If I open the left door first it works, but I don’t want to have to use both hands or open both doors if it is not necessary. I also have had a side-b-side so my natural instinct is to want to open just the right hand door to grab a drink -- without having to touch the left door or open both. I cannot do that because of the mullion on the right side. If the mullion was on the left side -- like other French refrigerators I discovered -- it would eliminate the whole problem and work perfectly.

This is not only affecting me but my entire family because it also causes problems when shutting the door with the alert going off because the door failed to shut properly. We shouldn’t have to retrain ourselves how to open a refrigerator door or even think about it before we open it.

• lizzierobin
    3 years ago

I just purchased the same fridge. Both appliances stores I went to said they were really well made. Also, Bosch dishwasher. Current one is 18 years old, we are buying new. It is so quiet, you’ll forget you’ve turned it on. I will never go with a different brand.

I can’t help with the range.

• Jen L
    3 years ago

Hi Katie,
    I think Bosch must have redesigned the French door refrigerators. We purchased one in May and you can open just the right or just the left side. There is no need to open both sides or just the left with our model.

Glad they changed it. I’m right handed and almost always open the right side. That design would have driven me crazy!

• lizzierobin
    3 years ago

Also, we did a speed queen top loader washing machine. These are a little pricey, but built to last.

• doreycrouse
    3 years ago

I thought I have posted here, but I was wrong. We have a Bosch dishwasher that is nearly 3 years old. It has never given us an issue. If anything comes out of the machine not 100% clean, it is because it was not loaded correctly or an inappropriate cycle was selected. Our machine does not have Crystal Dry so I can not attest to that. However, I normally just run the Auto cycle without options, and when the cycle is done I crack the machine open for about an hour and only plastics have water in rims and deep areas where the water does not drain. Everything else flash dries. The only thing that I recommend if you are looking at a Bosch is that you at least clean the filter once a week. I spray it off in the sink for 2 seconds and plug it back in.

• User
    2 years ago

Been 6 months since I ordered my BOSCH and still backordered.

• Greg Smith
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My Bosch dishwasher and range are 13 years old and going strong. This is my third Bosch dishwasher (having moved houses several times) and I would never buy another brand. As mentioned, cleaning the filter is key but it's very quick and easy to do. The Bosch range is just okay, in my opinion. The electric smoothtop works fine but the oven takes *forever* to preheat... like at least 20-30 minutes just to get to 425 degrees. It has always been like that since it was new. Given this, my next range will not be a Bosch.

I also have a Bosch washer (my second one) that is around 7 years old with zero issues. My previous Bosch washer lasted 15+ years and survived three house moves. I still have the original Bosch electric dryer and it's still going strong at 20 years old without needing any repairs, ever.

• lizzierobin
    2 years ago

@User I ordered my Bosch appliances beginning of November, and they arrived and were installed in June. Should be soon for you, I hope.

Also, I have the redesigned frenchdoors, on the fridg, which either door can be opened. I didn't realize Bosch redesigned it. We love it!

• User
    2 years ago

@lizzierobin I appreciate you telling me. I ordered mine in Dec. so they should be here soon. I did get the dishwasher and fridge earlier it seems that way about my fridge too. I am waiting for the range and convection/micro/hood. I used to have an Advantium and decided that the feature I used most was the convection cycle rather than the speed cooker, so I hope I am happy. I almost got the Advantium that toasts, that would have been a good feature for me as I have a very tiny kitchen but am in-love with Bosch's black stainless and wanted everything to match.

• pink22552
    2 years ago

We have had our Bosch products for 5 years - in that time we have had to replace the latch on handle on the microwave and digital display doesn’t read properly, replaced the heating element in our oven and replaced the heat pump in our dishwasher (we do not have a bosch fridge) ….. we will never use Bosch products sgain.

• Jeff Smith
    last year
    last modified: last year

Will never buy Bosch again, bought $2600 fridge, icemaker had low output -after three years stopped working . $300 later still waiting for part since March ’22, latest update iis now 11/7/22. That is the fourth update. Contacted Bosch several times got form emails blaming supply chain.

UPDATE Bosch has already contacted me since the BBB complaint, they sound willing to help. . Hope it works out.

• Trapped
    last year

My Bosch Nexxt washer lasted 15 years.

I have a 15+ year old Bosch DW that is going strong. I think every line will have some lemons.

• likestonehomes
    last year

@Jeff Smith I am contemplating purchasing bosch 36” fd fridge. Do you mind shari g what is your model.

• lizzierobin
    last year

My bosch dishwaher was still running strong at 18 years. I replaced with new Bosch fridge and dishwasher. I hope they last as long.

• Jeff Smith
    last year

Sure. It is a model B21CL81SNS/04 FD9808 001940. I just filed a BBB complaint with Bosch yesterday. Not wanting to sound like a hater. I love their product's design and look. 2nd only to a SubZero we had. But the service has been horrible.

• likestonehomes
    last year

@Jeff Smith Thank you. This was the model we are looking at. 5600 cdn + tax.

• Jen L
    last year

Unfortunately, every appliance manufacturer is having major supply chain issues. Parts for repairing our one year old Whirlpool dishwasher were in short supply so we had to replace it (as the repair time was indefinite due to replacement part availability).

Are there any appliance manufacturers who are consistently able to supply parts for all repairs? I’m not aware of any standouts (for either doing this really well or especially poorly). I think every industry is sharing this struggle.

On a side note, our Bosch fridge purchased in Sept 2020 is working well right now. Although I think I’d have a very different feeling if any of our appliances needed repair now. It just seems to be a miserable experience if the particular repair part has subpar availability.

Good luck with the fridge repair!

• SEA SEA
    last year

A lot of us have had reliability issues with appliances in the last decade or so. I say it often...what used to be considered durable goods have become more or less disposable. I mentioned upthread we got a Bosch Ascenta dishwasher. The entry level model. It's been two years now, and knock wood, it's still working well. Jen L makes good points to keep in mind during these pandamic times. Parts are in short supply. The wait time on parts is long as is the wait time on many new appliances.

I saw this meme today. I thought it funny as we have been appliance buyers during the last 3 decades--missing the 1980s cut off for durability. The number of appliances we have had to replace is astonishing.

• HU-104711496
    4 months ago

Do not buy Bosch appliances. Expensive, unreliable and poor customer service experience. You would think at this price point it would be high quality but expect to be disappointed.

• HU-744103247
    28 days ago

Our Bosch dishwasher was purchased 10-years ago and, with one minor warranty service call to replace the little door thar closes over the pod, it's been teriffic!

• HU-104711496
    28 days ago

Do not buy Bosch appliances! The quality is abysmal and the customer service is attrocious. I’ve got nothing but a runaround from them and would never buy them again.

• HU-744103247
    28 days ago

That's not been our experience.

• HU-744103247
    28 days ago

We actually have one that looks very much like the one pictured. We purchased it in the early 80's from Montgomery Wards. It's in our garage, still running, still cooling and freezing like it was brand new. Zero service calls.

• Kathie
    28 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

BOSCH REFRIGERATOR REGRETS & DISASTER: Bought entire Bosch package in 2020 and regret it. Was so impressed with dishwasher that we decided to go all in on counter depth french fridge, stove top and double oven. Have not been pleased or impressed with any of the new appliances and the fridge has been a disaster. Right now it stands like the statue of liberty in my kitchen with the coating and finish wearing off -- a permanently smudged appearance. The mullion is on the right hand side and constantly gets in way preventing door from shutting and setting off the alarm. You must open left side first then right, thus using 2 hands. My instinct is to open with right but the mullion gets in the way. If the mullion was on left side - like other brands - it would eliminate problem. Now 2 years later, had to pay to have he mullion replaced after breaking it. Worst yet, finish or coating appears to be wearing off. Bosch informed me I was NOT supposed to use stainless steel cleaner on the fridge. Supposedly it was in the manual. Now I have a permanently smudged kindergarten look. I am miserable every time I enter or entertain in my kitchen and cannot afford to replace the refridgerator. Bosch tried to get me to pay for new panels but that was the cost of a new refrigerator. When I went back to my appliance dealer they too were not aware that you were not supposed to use stainless cleaner on the fridge and were unwilling to do anything either. Please Bosch help me. Kathie Keech in Tampa

• jennsbabysky
    28 days ago

Our fridge experience has been similar Kathie. We're pretty gentle with the surfaces of our appliances and I've never had trouble before and have had various stainless steel appliances for 20 years with no finish problems. We bought a Bosch fridge in 2020 and sometime last year the finish started failing.

We really liked our Bosch dishwasher and would likely buy that again. Especially since the finish is less noticeable due to the lower location. But I'd never buy the fridge again. Too bad as we really like the functionality of the fridge to date.

Our dishwasher died in late 2020 (new home, so we had to give up our previous Bosch dishwasher). The backorder was so long at that time that most vendors weren't accepting new orders. We ended up finding one Miele in stock locally and purchased that. I actually like it more than our previous Bosch, so I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Overall, I don't think I would try to purchase from a single manufacturer in the future. It seems like many appliance manufacturers make a great fridge or stove or dishwasher, but they may not have the best in class of all three. I'm absolutely a function over form person, so I'd probably rank each appliance individually.

• HU-104711496
    28 days ago

Bosch does not stand behind its appliances. They are shoddily engineered, built and the customer service is terrible. Stay away from Bosch.

• Toni Hamlett
    27 days ago

I have Bosch since2017 - microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator and gas stove. Love the dishwasher and would buy again. The refrigerator surprised me at how well it keeps food. I would recommend it. Microwave/confection oven is like my second oven but only for reheating items or side dishes. Takes a white to get to temperature. Love gas stove but due to height. Of grates boiling water can take a while. All appliances going strong.

• SEA SEA
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Glad to hear your positive experience Toni Hamlett. I know I'll have to buy new fridge and stove again, probably sooner than later, so your report is helpful. My Bosch Ascenta dishwasher, knocking wood, is still doing well. I think this summer it will be four years...quite the feat these days. It's been my favorite appliance to date, and I've bought so many over the years due to premature demise.

I wish the posters above who have had negative experiences had better luck with their Bosch appliances. I've been there, with other major brands of appliances. So much so, I think a 4 year run of good luck is something cheer about.

For those reading. my Bosch dishwasher is black, so I don't have the stainless finish complaints. So far, the black finish has held up well, and I do clean that thing within an inch of its life.

• Toni Hamlett
    27 days ago

I noticed some are having issue with Stainless steel finish. When I purchased my appliances back in. 2017 I received a coupon when I registered my products and purchased this SS conditioner from them. It is the only thing I’ve used on my appliances outside of dawn dish soap and a microfiber cloth. The conditioner is great on the stove as things don’t stick making clean up easy on the SS stove top. Key is to spray on the cloth and then wipe in direction of grain

• lizzierobin
    24 days ago

I’ve had my Bosch refrigerator, dishwasher and stacked ovens for three years, without the issues mentioned by other people. I purchased mine through a small applicance shop versus big box. I don’t know if that makes any difference, but it is surprising and disappointing to read about the issues people are experiencing.

• Ulo Palm
    9 days ago

A

Avoid Bosch as a brand. They have an inferior quality and a very poor customer service.

Three years ago, we invested in a high-end Bosch microwave, expecting reliability and top-notch service. Unfortunately, our experience has been anything but satisfactory. About six weeks ago, the microwave began to short circuit, consistently tripping the circuit breaker. We promptly contacted Bosch customer service, which sent a technician after a ten-day wait. The technician arrived, but his diagnosis was baffling—he reported no power, ignoring the fact that the microwave was the reason the breaker tripped. Despite our electrician confirming a fault in the microwave just the day before, the technician dismissed this, did not resolve the issue, and left us with a $272 bill.

Later that same day, our electrician verified that the technician had failed to reset the breaker after disconnecting the appliance. He also confirmed the short was internal to the microwave, not an issue with our home's electrical system. We then sought help from a local appliance repair company. Their skilled technicians quickly identified the short and found three defective components in the microwave—surprising for an appliance only three years old.

After explaining this ordeal to Bosch customer service and seeking reimbursement for the mishandled service and malfunctioning appliance, I was told my case would be forwarded to management. Despite multiple follow-ups, Bosch ultimately decided against reimbursing any costs, including the ineffective service call. Their lack of concern for our customer experience and refusal to acknowledge their faults was incredibly frustrating.

In stark contrast, our experiences with Miele have been exemplary. Known for their superior quality, Miele also backs their products with exceptional customer service. They have consistently shown genuine care and respect for their customers, starkly different from what we've experienced with Bosch.

• HU-104711496
    9 days ago

Bosch provides attricious customer service. Being told your issue is being forwarded to management is the kiss of death. I will never buy another Bosch appliance!