Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How to alter this blouse to eliminate the "cold shoulder"?

I fell in love with the fabric on this clearance blouse, and bought it, even though it has an open shoulder, which is a style I don't care for.
I've been thinking how to alter it to eliminate that part. It has long sleeves, slightly belled. .
I'm thinking of cutting off the sleeves entirely, then recutting the top of the sleeve to fit conventionally. It would become a 3/4 length sleeve, but that's ok.
How would I draft the sleeve cap to fit the armhole? Armhole is 23" in circumference.
Thanks.

Comments (9)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Lars
    3 years ago

I would remove the sleeves altogether at the seams and then remove the side seam on the sleeves to open up the fabric. You should then have enough fabric to make new sleeves by putting the bell ends at the shoulder, but you will have to draft a pattern for where the sleeve meets the shoulder. You can use part of the sleeve as a pattern and then add the curved shoulder portion to that. Try pinning or basting it in place first to get the right fit.

I've always hated the cold shoulder look and could not understand why it got revived in the 21st Century. I don't remember when I first saw it (70s or 80s), but I didn't like it then, and I hated it when it became revived, as if it were something new. I always thought it looked tacky and contrived, especially when it was done with no other reason than to follow a trend. I also hated the "Flash Dance" off-the-shoulder look, but not as much as I hated the cold shoulder look.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked Lars
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks to you both.

Lars, reversing the sleeve was my first idea: but I don't know how to judge if there is enough fabric to fit it into the armhole.

Circumference of the bell end is ". I know that the shoulder end of a sleeve is shaped in a specific way: and I can draft that using the removed sleeve, but don't know if I'll come up short.

If I could calculate that before cutting I'd be happier.

Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Dallasannie, I'm afraid the result would look like a patch, and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

• c t
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The cut of the sleeve that is there looks as if it would lay almost at a right angle to the body of the shirt (like in a casual top, or a man's shirt sleeve. That would indicate a very shallow sleeve cap.

You could measure the belled part. If it measured 23 inches, (or close to it) I'd do this:

Remove the sleeve. flip it around and lay it under the flattened, smoothed-out bodice. Place to top fold of the sleeve against the outer point of the shoulder, and use chalk to mark an armhole on the sleeve, using the armscye opening as a guide. Because it's not going *straight* across, but at an angle, it may not have to be 23 inches in diameter.

Clear as mud?

This isn't a very fitted garment. I wouldn't worry a lot about trying to simulate a fitted, set-in sleeve. With something like this, I'd be happy to approximate a kimono sleeve.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked c t
  • User
    3 years ago

Sure that you have tried pinning that gap closed. If the sleeve still falls nicely, that might be the best solution.

That gap might only be a slit that is bound on both sides much the same as a cuffed sleeve has. It might not actually be a bite out of the sleeve cap. But it probably is a chunk cut away.

It is busy print and small alterations might not be as noticable.

The most simple and least amount of disturbance might be the best.

Other than that, Lars probably has the best suggestion. Just judging by the photo, you would be lucky if there was enough fabric in the other end of the sleeve to fit the armscye. It might.

It is a pretty print.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked User
  • ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

Another thought: I would make a pattern piece using scrap fabric in the opening before I cut the sleeve apart. I think the busy-ness of the print will hide the patch job. Without seeing the entire blouse on you, consider stealing fabric from the length (if it’s generous) or the width the create the patch.

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago) thanked ratherbesewing
  • Cynthia Metz
    last year

Maybe add a piece of lace where the shoulder is open.

Sponsored