Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigkittytalks

Remnants and small quantities for garage conversion

bigkittytalks
3 years ago

I'm converting a 600sf garage and am wondering if anyone can recommend places to find discounted small quantities of materials like flooring, tile, even cabinetry? Returns, remnants, even second-hand... Thanks.

Comments (4)

• c t
    3 years ago

You can try Craig's List, ReStore (Habitat for Humanity's retail operation), or a surplus and salvage store.

People can calculate, and add in for breakage pretty well. If I order tile flooring for my kitchen, and order 15% extra for defects, breakage, mistakes, there's not going to be enough left over to do a whole room, even a small one. My late husband was a pack rat who'd take *anything* if the price is right. I'm still budgeting to pay a transfer station to take the junk he collected. Example: the ceramic tiles he bought that fill two five gallon buckets but won't cover the floor of a small bathroom. Not that anyone would *want* a pink and gray bathroom floor.

I wouldn't consider 600 square feet small. It's larger than many NYC apartments.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

And just to make things REALLY interesting, garages are not up to 'code' as a living space. Please ensure you have pulled the right permits (all of them) and hire the right people to do the conversion. Garage conversions can be one of the most expensive 'renovations' we have. The heating, the plumbing, the venting, the electrical, the insulation, the concrete/foundation all have to be updated and conform to 'code' for indoor living conditions. Code includes fire ratings, electrical outlet distancing, the works.

And remember: garage concrete slabs are NOT poured the same way a house foundation is. They RARELY have moisture barriers underneath them. That means anything you use over top of them MUST BE protected from moisture mitigation. A garage slab is considered 'soaking wet' (by concrete standards) until it is tested and proven it is not. To get it to test 'dry' you have about $7/sf worth of moisture mitigation efforts ahead of you.

The 'finishing' touches can be found once the structure has been brought up to code. Your location will dictate where you can find recycled housing bits. Large centres have companies that remove and resell housing 'innards'. Small towns are going to be limited to what you find in the local paper (if you still have a local paper), on the Co-Op board or by word of mouth.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

Greetings c t,

How about a major Yard/Garage sale?

Or using kijiji, Craig's List or such, I don't know whether Next Door might be relevant, to make some money on the residue, rather than paying some agency to haul it away ... or maybe enough to cover the cost of hauling the leftovers?

ole joyful

• jbmacc
    7 months ago

Old thread, but in case it’s helpful we got a beautiful stone slab remnant to use in a bathroom remodel at a very reasonable price from local stone fabricator

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals