Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnock

Subzero Icemaker Reliability/Issues

David Nakamura
3 years ago

We are building a home and have the option to do a Subzero 42" french doors with internal water dispenser and icemaker. It is very expensive and I was hoping to get some feedback from current owners if they have had any reliability issues, specifically regarding water/ice maker. I've been reading reviews on some sites and there is a lot of grumbling about EXTERNAL ice dispensers with Subzero, but I haven't seen much about the internal options. One review did mention that the defrost was aggressive enough that the ice would eventually "clump" up.

Comments (7)

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I had a 48” sz for 15 years..sold the house. The icemaker and the frig performed flawlessly. One minor service call in all those years on the frig which was handled well. Service is everything.

David Nakamura thanked ILoveRed
  • chispa
    3 years ago

We have a 36" all fridge and 24" all Freezer with internal ice-maker. The kitchen has been finished for about 20 months and we've had no problems with the ice-maker. My only complaint on our model is that the ice container/drawer has a slight cut out in the back and when the container is full you get some stray ice cubes that fall through into the drawers below. Doesn't affect anything, just a bit annoying to hunt down some stray ice cubes once in a while. Even with that small design glitch, I would buy these units again.

• Sammy
    3 years ago

I’ve had my 48” SZ for 20 years (!!) now and not a single problem with the ice maker.

• sornbarry
    3 years ago

I also have a Subzero with internal ice maker. No issues for the past couple of years with the ice maker. Use it several times a day, so probably not enough time for it to clump. Because the ice is constantly being made, the cubes on the bottom will freeze together, or stick to the tray as you are always scooping freshly made cubes. So now I just turn it off, go through the pile of ice and turn it back on when I need a new batch.

Also, I recommend the OXO 10.5 oz good grips scoop for your ice. Its durable, easy to wash and is not cold to touch when scooping your ice.

• eam44
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I bought a SZ 36” fridge over freezer with an internal ice maker. I’ve had it for seven years. It’s perfect.

• HU-868426095
    13 days ago

We have the 42SID/S and have constant problems with the ice maker. Due to the poor design the bucket pushes the arm up into the locked position when being put back in and it is not possible to see whether the arm is up or down. The instructions say, make sure the arm is down, but how can you tell? The solid white bucket blocks visibility to the arm. I would not recommend. We also had an issue with our Wolf speed oven/microwave during installation (bad circuit card that took 4 months to replace). The Sub Zero Wolf products look good and for the most part deliver, but hate to say that I would try a different brand in the future. We purchased during the home remodeling boom post Covid so there were likely a lot of quality control issues/supply chain challenges that may have been improved since then.