Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txrn3

Taj Mahal Quartzite questions!

Brooke Russell
3 years ago

Taj Mahal Quartzite was installed in my kitchen and bathroom last night.

• Does TM quartzite need to be sealed? The installer said no, but I’ve read mixed reviews.

• What is the best product to clean Quartzite with? I’ve read threads of just soap and water but I feel I need some type of disinfectant since it is a countertop.

• Any ideas for the kitchen backsplash would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments (23)

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Nice! I'm no help but giving you a bump

• tozmo1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Maybe repost with just the backsplash question. It always puzzles me why some posts get lots of comments and others don't. Your kitchen is very pretty. Is it just the photo angle or is that a very slim arched door? Interesting.

• Brooke Russell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! And yes, it’s a very slim arched door. It’s the pantry door.

• rdy2retire
    3 years ago

I have Taj Mahal Quartzite (honed) in my kitchen. I was left with a stone cleaner that I use on occasion but I just usually use soap and water. I have wiped the counters down with clorox bleach wipes a few times after bringing groceries in with no issue.

• roarah
    3 years ago

Your stone is yummy and your home is warm and beautiful congrats.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Can you wait to choose back splash until after appliances and lighting are installed? Depending on lumens for light fixtures and under cabinet lights, it will affect the look of the back splash. You have a great start to a beautiful kitchen.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

For the backslash at my Dad's house, we used Crossville Ashbury Fleece Crackle which came in lots of shapes and sizes, but we chose a simple 3 x 6 subway. It's been 2 years, so I don't know if this particular tile and color is still on the market. It was the perfect choice bc it did not compete with the beautiful Taj. Even if this particular tile is not available anymore, look for something that fades away and does not compete, bc Taj is so beautiful, you don't want to take away from it.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

Gcubed comment is a wise one.

It's best to get your all your materials and lighting in there first. Then you can test your sample backsplash tiles. We completed the entire, whole house remodel in October 2018, but the kitchen basksplash wasn't installed til Feb 2019. Meanwhile lots of people enjoyed the house. It's not a big deal to wait on the backspalsh. Just have your contractor paint the wall so it's protected from water, warn you family to be a little more careful about water, and you will give yourself time to pick the perfect backsplash.

• Brooke Russell
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words and helpful suggestions!!

It took me a long time to pick everything out (overwhelming) and so happy to see it’s finally coming together.

The appliances are now installed. Wish I had the under cabinet lighting. That’s a good idea about doing it before the backsplash.

• L Carlson
    3 years ago

I have Taj Mahal and I spray isopropyl alcohol 70% daily to clean/sanitize. I wipe it with a microfiber after a few minutes. My stone is polished stone and the installer sealed it. I haven’t really babied the countertops but they still look as they did on Day 1.

• L Carlson
    3 years ago

I used MSI Highland Park - Portico Pearl.

• telesaps
    3 years ago

I use Granite Gold and a microfiber towel on my Taj Mahal. Mine were sealed at my request, although the fabricator said they don't usually seal Taj Mahal.

• telesaps
    3 years ago

I actually have a bottle of Weiman's countertop cleaner that I got at TJ Maxx and like that more than the Granite Gold.

• Renee James
    3 years ago

Method granite and stone cleaner is the best of all brands I've tried. it is a great product, cleans exceptionally and never any streaks

• Mrs Pete
    3 years ago

No help, but another "love it" for this stone.

• Sam Mercado Jr.
    last year

Whats the name of your cabinet color? beautiful combination! im installing TM and love how it looks with darker cabinates. TIA!

• annap_95267969
    3 months ago

Is Taj Mahal quartzite more porous than granite? How much more?

Realistically, how much more often would I have to seal (polished) Taj Majal quartzite than (polished Snowfall) granite? The fabricator tells us both need to be sealed every six months but most granite owners I know tell me they go much longer than that in between sealing (if they seal at all). I want to know what kind of maintenance I’m actually getting into with each.

• telesaps
    3 months ago

I have had Taj Mahal in my kitchen for 4.5 years and haven't resealed it yet. I will have someone come in a polish and seal in a few months, but honestly, it still looks very good. When it was installed, the installer told me he usually doesn't even seal quartzite.

• baleria
    last month

@telesaps is your countertop polished or leather?

• telesaps
    last month

Mine is polished. I haven't had it resealed and it looks great.

• mark1993
    last month

We have polished Taj counters. They have never been sealed. We do not baby the counters, and I only use soap and water to clean. No issues whatsoever.

• chispa
    last month

I had/have Taj Mahal in two kitchens and also have it outside as my outdoor kitchen counter and backsplash behind the grill. None of it sealed. The backsplash behind the grill gets grease and soot on it and I just clean it with Lysol kitchen cleaner that is good at removing grease.

The only issue with the Taj Mahal piece behind the grill, which was a remnant, is that it has a fair amount of filler, which might not be as durable long term with the exposure to high heat from the grill.