Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bubblyjock

Miele washers: are they really worth the extra $$$?

bubblyjock
4 years ago

Doing my due diligence before purchasing a new washer and dryer. Only got space for the smaller ones, that fit beneath a kitchen counter, and the dryer has to exhaust indoors

Previously had (still have) Samsung ones - the washer (this one: https://www.samsung.com/ca/washing-machines/washer-ww22k6800aw/WW22K6800AXA2/) is frustratingly useless as it simply doesn't wash or rinse thoroughly, so I'm having to process every wash twice, which is a waste of time, money, energy, water, etc. Dryer is ok, I guess, for drying small stuff - anything else gets itself in a crumpled knot. Yes, I do add tumble dryer balls, but they don't help much.

So I went to look at the creme de la creme, from Miele.

The Miele washer has its own soap/dispenser, all sorts of clever washes, but the draw, for us, is the free 10 year warranty and the stellar reputation. The kicker is the price tag, around $7k delivered and installed for washer and dryer, here in Canada.

https://www.miele.ca/en/c/washing-machines-1561.htm

The Miele dryer has the equivalent of a heat pump, so exhausts back into itself and re-uses its heat, with a little pipe that drains into the washer drain, if that makes sense.

https://www.miele.ca/en/c/tumble-dryers-1570.htm

The Bosch equivalent is less than half that, and I get a rebate from Energy-Star which is quite substantial, plus a 4-year warranty means it's still less than half the Miele. But I'm sick of second-rate washers, as even the cheap ones are a lot of money!

What's the latest on Miele - are they still fantastic washers that are worth the extra $$$, or should we save our money, run the annoying Samsungs into the ground, and replace with maybe Bosch?

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• Cavimum
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The only way I would buy another Miele FL washer is if it came with a 10-year warranty. Not sure I would want to have to fiddle with work-arounds on that TwinDos business, though. Our detergent dosing is very small.

I've spent a small fortune on repairs to our W4842 since it went out of its 3-year warranty. The next expensive repair that comes down the pike will likely have me buying something else. We don't have great Miele support here, either, and waiting on "hold" for almost an hour when you call Miele is a real pain. Even my repair guy had that happen.... at our house.... wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes. The dealer from which we bought this set has since dropped the brand. They usually drop a brand that has any sort of issue, even if only getting parts.

But I like my Miele electric dryer. :-)

bubblyjock thanked Cavimum
  • bubblyjock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! We're somewhat "remote," too, according to central urban Miele dealers (ie, I lay my head down to sleep all of 40 minutes from where Justin Trudeau lays his pretty head), and so the better dealer did contact Miele about this, and they confirmed they do now cover our area. Before now I've always ignored them when picking out new appliances simply because of the awful service/support options.

But you had to wait an HOUR??? They don't have an online option yet? That boggles my mind, and is pretty off-putting. I did try calling yesterday (a Sunday) to clarify something, as their website claims they're open for business even on Sunday, but the voice message said they weren't. Another black mark.

Ugh, I hate this appliance shopping business. It's such a waste of time, for crappy products that don't come cheap, even the cheap ones. And the dealers, don't get me started. Don't know their product lines, don't tell the truth, or blatantly lie. We have ONE good dealer in Ottawa, Canada's capital city, Universal Appliances.

And then there's the reviews, quite obviously bought and paid for by the manufacturers, across the board. I mean, who goes online to sing the praises of their washer because it LOOKS NICE. Groan.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

Miele washers and dryers did well in Consumer Reports tests CR estimated that the performance didn't vary among various tested models. One can pick up the least-expensive pair -- not tested -- for about US$2400. You have to be careful in selecting among various Miele models as prices can skyrocket.

CR also liked the Samsung WW22K6800AX (CA$1045) Front Load Compact Washer and Home Depot owners seem to like the Samsung DV22N6800HW Electric Heat Pump Dryer 4.0 cu.ft.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

"It is ironic that CR "liked the Samsung WW22K6800AX" because that is the very washer that bubblyjock is looking to replace."

Good point. The performance problem could be due to use of poor-quality detergent, overloading, etc. that wouldn't be solved with a different machine.

• jwvideo
    4 years ago

Or, conversely, might be solved with a different compact washer. What constitutes "over-loading" for one brand's models may be perfectly fine in another brand. The thing is that capacity is usually discussed here in terms of cubic feet but cubic foot ratings for for washer drums do not necessarily tell you what you might want to know about actual capacity. Some wahsers can be loaded to fill the drum, some cannot.

CR's testing uses the AHAM standardized 8 pound wash load protocols. I don't think that AHAM has a standardized protocol here for testing actual abilities with capacities or loads above that.

Last spring, when I was researching compact washers, and checked on load capacities, I found indications that the Samsung, GE and LG compact models that are sold in North America are all rated as 5 kg capacity models elsewhere. Bosch, Miele and Electrolux compacts, on the other hand, are rated for 7 and 8 kg. (15 to 17 pound) loads.

Here's an example of how this can play out in practice. I found reports and Q&A responses for both Samsung and LG compact washers saying that they could not handle queen size down comforters. OTOH, I found numbers of user reports and videos showing even king size down comforters being washed successfully in Miele, Bosch and Electrolux compacts, all with drums with similar cubic footage to the others. That's why I say that an overload for one brand may be within capacity for another brand's similarly sized machines.

So, bubblyjock, I'm guessing you live too far from one of the Miele Experience Centers to run some washing in a machine in one of them but does anybody in Ottawa have a Miele washer hooked up for demo? Be nice to know how well it handles your regular washloads before you buy.

bubblyjock thanked jwvideo
  • bubblyjock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wdccruise

""It is ironic that CR "liked the Samsung WW22K6800AX" because that is the very washer that bubblyjock is looking to replace."

Good point. The performance problem could be due to use of poor-quality detergent, overloading, etc. that wouldn't be solved with a different machine."

You don't think I read the instructions carefully, tried every wash option with and without, more or less, a variety of detergents and different amounts of clothes of varying degrees of dirtiness?? Ugh.

• bubblyjock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

jwvideo - thanks for taking the time to post such thoughtful responses and ideas, I really appreciate it.

Ottawa does have a Miele Experience Centre but I'd never bothered going because apparently they don't do sales, but I like your suggestion and I'll go talk to them this week, thanks. 10-year warranty promotion ends tomorrow, of course, so I guess that'll be tomorrow!

• bubblyjock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

By the way, wdccruise - because I'm now looking to replace my horrid little Samsung washer and dryer, I went and posted disgruntled reviews on Samsung's and Costco's websites (I bought the set from Costco). Worded similarly, and I see Costco has posted my less-than-enthusiastic review, but Samsung has not, even though my review generated an email from them confirming they'd posted it! So I'm guessing Samsung are filtering reviews, and actually have a bunch of dweebs shilling for them and writing those ridiculously lengthy sunny reviews. Such cavalier behaviour, alone, is enough to make me loathe Samsung and their underhand policies, and I will not be buying Samsung again. Life's too short to put up with the slime.

• Cavimum
    4 years ago

bubblyjock - FWIW Vermont Country Store filters the product reviews posted to their site. I learned that after posting a negative review on their wood laundry drying racks. They contacted me and offered an exchange, so I know they got it, but it never appeared on their website, so it's just not appliance companies that do this.

• bubblyjock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cavimum - that stinks! At least you now know, I guess. The concept of weeding out negative reviews is downright sneaky. At least Ikea and Costco share them, and Ikea will respond with a contact number and offer to make it right, most of the time. Which is one of the reasons I'll keep shopping at Ikea.

I'd be interested in taking this battle further, though; just no idea how. It's the sort of story that an investigative reports tv show would probably cover. If I have the energy after my first coffee, that is ;)

• minimalist183
    4 years ago

I think you should contact the Miele Experience Center near you and advise them you are considering a Miele washer / dryer laundry system and would like to bring in a few items to see how well the washer and dryer perform (before you buy). I believe they will be glad accommodate you.

Years ago the manager of the Miele center in Kenilworth Illinois asked me to bring in a few dress shirts to wash. The moment I arrived they put my shirts in the washer and began to give me a tour and presentation of their laundry. I ended up purchasing the Miele w1918 washer and T1515 vented dryer from one of their dealers. What other manufacturer would do that ??

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

"So I'm guessing Samsung are filtering reviews, and actually have a bunch of dweebs shilling for them and writing those ridiculously lengthy sunny reviews.

"The concept of weeding out negative reviews is downright sneaky.

"I'd be interested in taking this battle further, though; just no idea how."

bubblyjock: You are making statements without evidence and appear to be obsessed with this. If you look at the reviews of other Samsung products on the Samsung website you will see that there are plenty of negative reviews. Perhaps your review wasn't posted. Perhaps there is a review process before posting. Perhaps what you wrote violates Samsung's policy and was discarded. You don't know. And no, I am not shilling for Samsung but something is amiss if you are trying to "battle" Samsung over something so trivial. It's not as if there aren't other review sites available to potential purchasers.

• bubblyjock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, nope. Thanks for making so many uninformed assumptions about me, wdccruise. You do you, and I'll move on.

• Ork Un
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Well, I bought a new one for $2700 in December 2022. I have 3 technician visits since then and this week it leaked not I have to wait for 4th technician visit until he gets the necessary part 1 month from now.

So you all tell me, Does it worth $2700?

Nope, Never again.

• akrogirl32
    9 months ago

Our Miele Little Giants have performed perfectly for maybe twelve years now. If we need to replace them at some point, it will be with another Little Giant set.

• aamassther
    9 months ago

It’s worth every penny too! I’ve a Little Giant for more than 6 years now, I would buy again in a heartbeat too. Especially now that the dryer is heat pump instead of condenser.

Just because you’re cheap and happy with mediocre, wdcruise, doesn’t mean all of us need to be.

• wdccruise
    9 months ago

Eleven thousand dollars for a washer and dryer!

• dan1888
    9 months ago

One million dollars for a wood frame house!

• Private .Private
    14 days ago

We purchased a machine which Miele advertises as lasting 20 years. After less than 10 years it stopped draining and we spent $350 for a tech to come out. That process took several calls alone as Miele doesn't seem to know who it contracts with for service. Tech stated no spare parts available anymore. After multiple calls to Miele we have NO RESPONSE to our complaint and no functioning washer.

We will not purchase another Miele - save the money and buy a competitor for a fraction of the price. Why pay more if they do not last what Miele advertises?

• wdccruise
    14 days ago

Private .Private: "We purchased a machine which Miele...After less than 10 years it stopped draining...Tech stated no spare parts available anymore."

What was the model and part number? It soften takes some sleuthing to find a needed part.