Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedrxrep

HELP!! Mystery stains on new marble pool deck

reedrxrep
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are building a new home in Florida and we just got our Marble pool deck installed. It looked beautiful for about two weeks and then this started happening. Can anyone tell us what this is?? We have a solid concrete poured pool deck and the marble pavers were laid over the concrete. We wanted the pavers to lay on concrete instead of dirt. We thought it might be the rebar that is under the concrete, but we have a good friend who owns his own concrete company and he is telling us there is no way it's from the rebar. We noticed the stains a couple days after a good rain. We know it's not from a well either as we have no irrigation installed yet. I should also mention that it starts to fade and almost disappear and then it comes back again. Asking for help from the experts. Thank you!

Comments (319)

• sherrycurrie
    9 months ago

Thank you!!!

• wayne wilson
    9 months ago

Here is a Discount code for anyone looking for a true stone sealer. Feel free to message me with any questions

https://www.catalinachemical.com/

"RIVERSIDE" gets $10 off orders over $200 and free shipping.

• sherrycurrie
    9 months ago

Thank you!!!

• HU-896094055
    9 months ago

Hi, i have been researching options to cover my existing chatahouchie pool deck from the 1970’s and finally decided on a white marble paver. the pool company recomends impregnating the stone as opposed to sealing the top. i have a few concerns that I'm wondering if you could comment on. i dont think the company is going to use a white sabd, is that necessary and something that i should ask for? also i have a large poinsienna tree that drops orange flowers all over the deck. i am thinking that i should remove that tree before the marble is installed to avoid staining. last last, i too am concerned that i will end up with this strange discolorations and we all know how expensive marble pavers are. am i asking for trouble and should change the material? thank you

• HU-896094055
    9 months ago

sabd is a typo. i meant to type sand. should i be using white sand and white mortar for coping? also some of the patio is covered and i have been told that under the patio should be mortared and not sand set. will i be okay with sand set? i live in boca raton florida. thank you!

• wayne wilson
    9 months ago

Your pool company is giving a good recommendation on using an impregnating sealer. Film forming sealers exterior can be problematic and costly to remove. As far as sand, they should be using the cleanest sand available in the area. If mortaring down is an option for the design of your pool, you will need to discuss it with them. It will be more costly in labor and unable to replace pieces easily, but more beneficial for the stone.

• HU-896094055
    9 months ago

Thsnk you Wayne. I appreciate the response. Any thoughts on the tree and flowering if that will be problmatic and dtain the marble?

• wayne wilson
    9 months ago

The tree droppings will leave stains whether it's sealed or not. The Tannen stain typically go away on their own in the su and when it dries. I would suggest to trim the tree back some. It's your call to remove it or not.

• HU-896094055
    9 months ago

Thankyou

• Christian Rodriguez
    8 months ago

Hi Wayne,

I've been following the posts since I had white marble pavers installed around my pool area. They are from the turkish origin and sandblasted. The pavers are beautiful except that they require a lot of maintenance and are delicate. Everything and anything seem to stain them even if they have been sealed. I recently left a shed door open which had some rust on it and after it had rained I noticed that the floor had a rust stain. What would you recommend to either remove or lessen the staining?

• wayne wilson
    8 months ago

Sealing will not stop the rust from metal since it's heavy particles that weigh into the stone. Iron Out Powder works well, prewet the stain, place some of the powder over it and gently wet it to a paste. Let it foam and let it sit about 15 minutes, if not removed do it again. Flush area with water when complete. Reseal the area, hopefully a film forming sealer wasn't used. I recommend this impregnating sealer

https://www.catalinachemical.co/product/PLUS-Oil-and-Water-Repellent/6?category_id=2&cp=true&q=false&sa=false&sbp=false

• shoppergirl1234
    8 months ago

Hi all

ive tried all the suggestions on the horrible orange moisture stains on my pavers. nothing is working. Does anyone know of a good restoration company in NJ? The stone company (Marmiro) claims to do it, but 1. will cost me at least $5000 2. i have not seen anything advertised with pavers that look as bad as mine. looks mostly like powerwashing dirty spots

thanks in advance

• Cody Steen
    8 months ago

I have 12x24 grey marbel drive way pavers recently installed. the installer poured concrete and used grey mortar with white thinset to set the pavers. Then they grouted everything. Now the grey pavers are turning brown. People tell

me its the iron in the paver, but acid wont even remove it. Improper installation process??

• Kristi Johnson
    8 months ago

Lots of comments above if you scroll up you’ll probably get your answer

• Sabrina Mock
    8 months ago

Hi so im jumping in here to ask. we have marble pavers now too just installed and we have what looks like staining only in shaded areas that dont get any sun. any way to mitigate this? sure we can clean it and maintain but i believe its due to no sunlight that it happens, so are we stuck with this area just looking like 💩 any one find a solution?

• ebert6
    7 months ago

reedrxrep

Question: We are about to install akoya leathered marble for our pool decking. Has the staining subsided or do you constanty have to powerwash it? Did you ever seal your deck? Now I am questioning my choice! HELP!!

• Marie Mathieson
    6 months ago

Having the same issue with marble white pavers. Was advised to replace “stained” tiles and then add sealers

• sherrycurrie
    5 months ago

Hi Wayne Wilson
    I’m ready to install my Shellstone pavers and want to use the Catalina product. How do I know how much to order?

• wayne wilson
    5 months ago

Porosity of the stone will dictate what it takes. When using plus mist the stone enough to wet it. Then let it sit 5-10 minutes and wipe off any excess. Work small areas so you don't get in trouble. When ordering, go with these guidelines. Concrete 150-300ft per gallon, Limestone 150-300 ft per Gallon, Travertine 300-600ft per Gallon, Marble 600-800ft per Gallon. Order your sealer based on the lowest yield. So 1000ft marble would be 2 gallons, compared to travertine 1000ft would need 4 gallons. Keep in mind these are just guidelines, and your stone may take more or less. I personally just assign a 5 gallon pail for or every 1000ft to every job to ensure it has enough

• sherrycurrie
    5 months ago

Thank you!
    We purchased the Shellstone. It’s beautiful. I am so worried about the installation.
    Our courtyard is Georgia red clay.
    I understand we need a base, I think you said crusher run. Then the white sand. We didn’t plan on using any type of grouting (or whatever it’s called) but our installer is wanting to use it.
    I’ll purchase the sealer per our square footage. And give him the instructions. 5 gallon per 1000 feet.
    Thoughts?

• elihotch
    3 months ago

Wayne, or anyone with an informed opinion,

You have so much good advice about marble! We are trying to choose our marble pavers right now and we are deciding between aurora white or Lucida. They are both sandblasted and we plan to have them impregnated after. Would you let me know if you have any recommendations on which one would be a smarter choice long term? I would really appreciate your feedback!Thanks!

• wayne wilson
    3 months ago

The colors are similar, so it would be your choice since they are essentially the same stone. If you are looking for a higher quality marble, I would highly suggest the Paramount Stoneworks Italian Marble vs. the USA Marble Turkish materials. The Italian material is more resistant to issues as it is a much higher quality of stone. Feel free to give me a call or text me with questions 813-406-0399

• elihotch
    3 months ago

Wow, thank you for your quick response. The pool builders we are using supply the stone and it is all figured into the cost, so I think it is all from Turkey. How would you recommend we treat and maintain it when we pick either one to keep it in the best shape?

• wayne wilson
    3 months ago

I'm sure your pool companies credit card would work for any material you request. The Italian marble is far superior and should be welcomed as an option in their Showroom. In any case, the turkish white marbles will require frequent maintenance and proper sealing from the beginning. Acid washing is not recommended, and only people experienced in stone should handle it. The average paver sealer/power washing company that talks about coatings or grip additives should not seal it. Impregnating Stone Sealers like Catalina Plus should be used.

• wayne wilson
    3 months ago

As far as turkish marble selections, I see fewer issues with the Royal Beige/Diana royal and Ocean Blue/Ice/Tahoe. I'm not saying they don't have issues. I've seen less. It all starts with installation, and drainage is important along with proper base.

• wayne wilson
    3 months ago

Setting material should be mixed with White Portland Cement at a rate of one 50lb bag to a wheelbarrow of base material. Crushed Concrete base should not be used.

• wayne wilson
    3 months ago

I just posted this yesterday on a Pre-inspection of a marble job yesterday. This builder has had no issues this past year since going to Paramount Stoneworks and using the white Portland Cement Method.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02ffbN1QwWgpdJTZ3By5A45kPCrtUS9kMP81x1jPJ2duWo1mHFcHcyi6UkwbM4XVHKl&id=100063500831453&mibextid=2JQ9oc

• wayne wilson
    3 months ago

And, of course, having it properly sealed by me

• elihotch
    3 months ago

Thank you much! Do you live in the South Florida Area to be able to seal it?

• elihotch
    3 months ago

And does sealing it bring more of the color through or make them darker? I feel like the samples we are looking at are so white until you get them wet to see what they really look like.

• wayne wilson
    3 months ago

I'm in Tampa and primarily work the southwest side of the state. I will travel to the east coast as needed. I also know others in the state who can provide the same services. Their is an Enhancing Sealer for the marble to bring the colors out also.

• elihotch
    3 months ago

Awesome, thanks so much! We anticipate that our pool will be finished in the next couple of months, so if you will be down here soon or if you could refer me to someone would be great!

So, would the marbles I showed in the pictures look that white when they are sealed or are they just that super white because they were just cut?

• ycosme46
    2 months ago

Thank you so much for posting these photos. I am at wits end trying to understand why this is happening to the travertine pavers that I had installed a few months ago. The rust stains show up on the pavers under the overhang (shaded area) but it is not happening to the pavers in the sun. It looks exactly like the photos you posted. The installer and the company that sold me the pavers say they never heard of this. A Google search reveals nothing so I thought it was only my courtyard that had the problem. I had a company scheduled to come out to dig up the ground thinking there is a busted pipe under the ground. Fortunately I came across this discussion in Houzz and now realize there is no busted pipe. Now I am under the impression that moisture is getting into the stone and creating rust.

• angela martin
    2 months ago

I believe thos article will help you understand what may be going on with your rust colored stains.

https://www.stoneworld.co.uk/faqs/whats-the-correct-way-to-remove-cement-stains-from-natural-stone/

• Cameron Dobbs
    2 months ago

Hi! got some fertilizer stains on leathered marble deck. stone mart recommended a $60 chemical but wondering if there is something cheaper. I am also located in St Pete and was wondering if someone has a rec for a company that could come clean pool deck annually thanks!

• wayne wilson
    2 months ago

Hello Cameron, the fertilizer spots clean up easily with Powdered rust out which can be bought iat Home Depot. For your care and maintainance give me a call 813-406-0399. Natural Stone care is my Specialty

• elihotch
    2 months ago

Hi Wayne, is there anyone you can recommend to seal marble deck pavers in south florida?

• wayne wilson
    2 months ago

what area?

• Kari Ross
    last month

Wayne, we are finalizing our selections and we were between Akoya leathered marble or Glacier White from Paramount. It sounds like from your experience Paramount is the way to go between the two? It’s not cheap so hoping no yellowing issues! Thanks

• wayne wilson
    last month

Paramount Glacier White Hands down, I've been on more Akoya issues than I can keep track of. Also the Paramount material is a much higher quality marble. A good alternative to Akoya is Pasha White from Tile and paver source if you want something more budget friendly.

• Kari Ross
    last month

Thanks a million Wayne, truly appreciate it!!

• shoppergirl1234
    last month

Can anyone recommend a company in NJ that has the same expertise as wayne? at a loss here of what to do with my stone pavers. even the stone company basically said they may not be able to help bc it was likely installed improperly. cant call my contracter bc he was a scam artist who disappeared :( already tried peroxide and other things and nothing is helping even a little bit

• wayne wilson
    last month

What's going on? Send me pictures. 813-406-0399

• shoppergirl1234
    last month

Thanks!! i texted you

• Kiki
    last month

Hey Wayne, our pool company is removing old aggregate decking and then putting marble pavers (QDI marine fantasy) over sand. I asked about sealing and they said they don’t do that because it tends to trap in moisture and make the stones look hazy. But I’m already noticing some staining the coping I can’t get out. Would you recommend sealing marble (sandblasted) pavers over sand? Also, should I seal the coping and the split face? Both are Snow White marble by keystone.

• wayne wilson
    last month

The pool company would be correct if a film forming sealer is used. Most sealer companies treat marble as a brick paver causing more issues. Impregnating sealers are the only way for to go for an exterior stone if sealing is desired. That being said a sealer is not a total prevention, installation should also include white Portland Cement into the sand mix to assist as a moisture barrier. A proper Stone sealer like Catalina Chemical Plus should be applied as a type of cheap insurance. The sealer will help prevent Salt Erosion, mold, mildew, algae, moisture stains, oil absorption, etc. I would seal it as soon as you can, give catalina a call if you wish to do it yourself for the supplies needed as it's not complicated. You will need Plus, Flat mop, and possibly peroxide if you wish but not needed unless you have deep set stains. A simple mop of Dawn and warm water is enough to clean prior to sealing, the neutral cleaner from Catalina will give a better clean if it's needs it. Discount code and free shipping is "Riverside"

• Zoran Kaluderovic
    last month
    last modified: last month

We installed pool and deck two years ago (https://www.royalhardscapesusa.com/en-US/marble-paver-diana-royal) . Now some of the pavers are moving and some gaps are more visible than before. What will be recommended glue to fix pavers and fill the gaps?

• dolphin0810
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

I am thankful to come upon this site since our pool installer made us feel like this is something they never see and do not want to take any accountability. They told us we need to hire a power washing company. We live in SW Florida and recently had a pool installed and chose Silver Travertine for our decking. We do know travertine is high maintenance but was never warned about the staining that would occur immediately after install. It looks awful and the fact that this was a huge upgrade in our pool build we are regretting going with it. After just a few weeks after install on our covered lanai all of the rust stains and white powder started appearing. Also all of the silver travertine around the pool area in the sun always feels like it has a chalky powder residue on top of it and never feels clean. We paid extra to have cement poured first under the pavers. On top of the cement they put a sand base down before laying the travertine. They claim that this is the proper install. Here are photos of the stone under the covered lanai vs. in the sun around the pool.

• wayne wilson
    22 days ago

Call me 813-406-0399, I'd like to take a look.