budget food is bad?

stoveguyy

why are store brand soda crackers so bad? they are semi-stale and dont even look good. our local hy-vee has a store brand and they have a budget brand, called " thats good" or something like that? the premium crackers are $3.99? the hyvee are 299 and the crap ones are 199? why is it so hard to make a blinking soda cracker that is crisp? or not look like it is WW2 ration leftovers?

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Are those the only stores you can shop at?

Save    
stoveguyy

are you saying try the cheap crackers at another store chain? i have. over the years. its just such a common thing. mpls is new to the hy-vee chain and they have 3 stores in the area and they are very nice. nabisco crackers are good. did not try the hyvee crackers as they are only $1 cheaper. not enough to tempt me. the 3rd brand, the just right ones were $2 less so i said ugh, why not. now i see why not

hmm, cheap bread sucks. lets mix flour and water and bake it. huh, good crackers and bad crackers. who knew. its like good bottled water and bad bottled water. how hard is it?

Save    
sushipup1

What about stores like Aldi or Trader Joe's?

Save    
KATHY

I will try store brands to see about saving a dollar or two but if it is not up to my standards I don’t mind purchasing the name brand and you are right how hard is it to make it taste good. Almost stale tells me they sit on shelf too long because everyone else knows they aren’t good.

Save    
stoveguyy

hy-vee is a mid-line poser. cub foods has 50% of mpls market and hyvee figures the hicks in mpls will suck it up with a little marketing. the hyvee branded stuff is actually equal too and sometimes more expensive than the name brand stuff. i might try their crackers for a test. the store is 4 miles to the east of me and they are planning on building a store about 1 mile to the west but are really dragging their feet

Save    
sushipup1

I mention TJ's and Aldo because all they carry are their own labeled foods, and both stores take pride in the quality that they sell. Unlike your typical chain store offering a less-than-good generic alongside a brand name.

1 Like Save    
stoveguyy

Ha, there is a store 4 miles east of me and a 2nd that is 4 mile sw. they cancelled the 1 that would have been 1 mile away.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping 9 Kitchen Organizing Tips to Help You Waste Less Food
Follow these simple steps to maximize your budget and turn your good intentions into good habits
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 7 Bad Things Your Home May Be Hiding
What you don't know about your home could cost you during a remodel. Here's what to plan for
Full Story
Bella Casa, llc is a full service interior design firm that has been specializing in high end residential & light... Read More
Dream Baths is a complete design-build-remodel firm located in the Historical German Village area of downtown... Read More