Special gift for niece/nephew wedding - any ideas?

tackykat

Hi all,

There are such creative people on this forum - I thought I'd ask for some ideas.

I have a niece and a nephew who are each getting married in the next 12-24 months. These will be the first weddings of this generation (I have 5 total nieces and nephews and DH has 4), so i'd like to start a new tradition and give them a very special gift (we will also give them money).

I was hoping to give them something personalized that they would use in their home and use forever. Both my niece and my nephew have been living with their fiance/ee for several years, so have set up a household somewhat, though I know they both have limited space.

Both couples enjoy cooking and are pretty traditional (they would/do put up a Christmas tree). So it could be personalized Christmas stockings, etc. I really want to give them something they will love because they and their soon-to-be spouses are all great people.

Any ideas you have would be so appreciated!

SaveComment63Like
Comments (63)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Somehow Christmas stockings, even personalized, handmade ones, do not seem very special for a wedding gift.......just my opinion :-)

My go-to gift for this sort of situation are sterling silver (or sliver plated) picture frames, suitable for displaying that very special, bride and groom wedding photo!! The silver frames are classic regardless of home decorating style and can be engraved to be even more personalized. You can find them at Pottery Barn, Macy's , Tiffany's, etc. And they can be added to over the years for other special occasions - birth of first child, special anniversary, family portraits. I especially like when they are of the mix and match persuasion - I am not overly fond of matchy-matchy stuff.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by tackykat
Compumom

That link is an unclaimed domain. I like the idea of a picture frame, however some of my forever gifts are a beautiful or interesting glass or crystal vase or bowl that I have saved for 43 years of marriage. I still recall who gave it to me. Silver--other than candlesticks aren't my thing. Apparently many millennials don't care for them either. A local animal charity runs an annual short term bargain shop filled with donations. Sorry to report that there were scads of silver plated items that we and the next generation just don't want. According to one of the organizers, it's that way each year. My family gave and left us many silver items and frankly, if it wasn't for the sentimental value, I'd sell or donate most of them too. They almost never get used.

1 Like Save     Thanked by tackykat
DawnInCal

I think what you give them kind of depends on what kind of people they are. Formal, casual, sentimental, practical and so on would all have a bearing on what they would like.

We are casual, practical, minimalists at our house and while we would have appreciated the thought behind an engraved frame, something we would have loved and treasured for years would have been something like a handmade quilt or a couple of throws to use while watching tv or reading and it actually is just that.

You're going to receive some great suggestions from the folks here (you already have). Maybe you could take all of those ideas, think about what type of people the young couples are and let that help guide you in making your decision.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by tackykat
Lars

You could make quilts for them - that was what my nephew most appreciated as a wedding gift, but he received it from our cousin, although she had me pick out which quilt that she had made to give them.

2 Likes Save    
Fun2BHere

All my millennial aged friends are into entertaining at home, so a nice monogrammed tray or stemless wine glasses would be welcomed by them. I'll add some pictures from Mark & Graham as examples, but caution you that I haven't found their products to be of particularly nice quality.

eld6161

Tastes vary. I would look into a way to preserve their wedding invitation. Could be rustic, traditional, bohemian etc.

Maybe it can become part of a useful item.

tackykat

Thank you for all of the ideas!

Dawn, you are right. It has to "feel" right in terms of what they would like, and I understand you all can't know what their tastes are!

I meant to say in my initial post that I am have done some needlework (cross stitch, etc) but am not handy enough to make something such as a quilt.

The "kids" in question tend toward casual, so Fun2B's suggestions are more in line with what they might like.

Save    
Lindsey_CA

In 2017 there was a similar thread about gifts, and Chi posted a link to a company that makes personalized photos/posters of the sky/stars as they were/will be on a specific date/time/place. She said that she and her husband had received one as a wedding gift and they really like it. I bookmarked the link, but I've lost it. So, this site does something similar, but it's not the site as I remember seeing it from Chi's link. Hopefully, she will pop in with the correct info.

diane_nj 6b/7a

I have given friends hand-turned wooden salad bowls or glass bowls with serving implements. I have also given a framed wedding invitation, which included a photo of the couple.

John Liu

I have been known to give really nice knives, plus sharpening tool. You have to include a coin with each knife, there is some superstition that I have forgotten.

Adella Bedella

Are they the type who would like a specialty handcrafted item like a wooden or hand thrown and glazed pottery bowl or platter?

CA Kate z9

I was also going to suggest even a small set of really good knives. Also, a Le Creuset Dutch Oven lasts for many years and many are frequently treasured.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by tackykat
roxanna7

Over the years, wedding gifts from me have always been some sort of nice clock, usually a wall clock but could be a mantel clock. It's the sort of thing most young people don't think they "need" and don't ask for. It is practical, can last forever and is not run-of-the-mill. (Unlike getting four fondue pots as I did 50 years ago, lol.)

You DO need to have an idea of the couple's style!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I was also told that giving knives is bad. I looked it up, here is what I found. I don’t know if I would do this. Even though I am
not very superstitious myself.

PRO
Anglophilia

Both my DD and I received a few presents that the givers had clearly wanted to make very special and "forever"; in all cases, their gifts missed the mark by miles.

My first husband's grandmother had a traditional wedding gift for all her grandchildren; a pair of sterling 3-branch candelabra - we were to choose the style/pattern at the lovely store where most bought wedding gifts. After my divorce, I kept them and used them, telling my ex-husband that they would go to DS someday. They did. He got divorced but he got the candelabra and uses them.

My father's brothers and sisters told me that they wanted to give me a silver tea set if I'd like one (I did!), but for me to choose the style/pattern. I did and 52 years later, I see this tea service daily and still enjoy it so much. But for many, this would be a useless gift. If GW is any example, few people even have a sideboard in their DR anymore as they just have table space between the kitchen and the LR.

One really must know the bride and groom very well.

chloebud

I agree with CA Kate's suggestion of Le Creuset, especially if they enjoy cooking. I have collected it over the years, but I still adore the first pieces we ever got. A family member gave us an entire set as a wedding gift in 1977. It consisted of Dutch ovens, saucepans and frying pans...really nice. Even one piece as a gift would be lovely.

Just thinking about your mention of something personalized. Our niece got married last year, and we gave them a large, personalized cutting board from Wms. Sonoma. It wasn't my idea since it on their registry. However, it really was nice, and they keep it displayed in the kitchen.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"A family member gave us an entire set as a wedding gift in 1977."

An entire set?? Boy, that was a very generous family member!! Realizing there are probably some significant price differences between 1977 and now, that's still an expensive proposition.....the 14 piece 'ultimate' set of Le Creuset ironware pushes $2.5K in today's world. I also received a couple of pieces of Le Creuset for my wedding in 1980 but the only one I still have is the 5.5 qt Dutch oven. It is very well used (to put it politely) - the lid handle is broken and the enamelling is coming off on the base so I would love to replace it. But at $300 plus for just that piece, I choose not be so extravagant in my old age :-) It still works well, even if looking a bit rough.

That would also have been a tough gift to wrap - this stuff weighs a ton!!

Compumom

Le Creuset has stores at many of the factory outlets. Register with them and they have sales frequently. If you aren't too picky about the color, many pieces can be had in the beautiful, but sadly color of last season at a very reasonable price. TJ Maxx or Homegoods often has a piece or two on the shelf. Keep your eyes open!

katlan

Are any of them religious at all? Into ancestry? Maybe a cross/crucifix. Something made in Ireland or Germany or Italy etc. Waterford crystal bowl or vase or a tartan plaid throw. We received a beautiful handmade wooden medicine cabinet with mirror and towel bar. Still have it. Also, an antique brass, wall mounted coat rack with horse head ends. Still have it.

Maybe a specialty wine bottle stopper from somewhere. Maybe a lazer cut metal plaque with a beautiful scene of some kind not just their initial, doesn't have to be big. Oh this could be fun!

chloebud

gardengal, it was a generous family member, for sure. The color choices for LC back then were much more limited. The set we got was kind of a pumpkin orange color. We received various other pieces (same color) from other people, such as lasagna and gratin pans.

Speaking of weighing a ton, I actually ended up giving the lasagna pan away. It was really heavy when empty, so it got crazy heavy when filled with lasagna. I still have...and love...that gratin pan. I pretty much use the pumpkin orange pieces in the Fall. My other pieces are blue or white. Yes...big LC fan here, especially of their oval Dutch ovens.

Compumom's right. You can find some great deals at places like HomeGoods. I once came across two white LC Dutch ovens (4 1/2 qts) at TJ Maxx for $20 each. Not likely to happen again at that price. Just recently I picked up one of their wide, shallow "Signature" series Dutch ovens (6.75 qts.) at HomeGoods for $120.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

One of our loveliest gifts was very personal. Some good friends took our wedding invitation to a close friend of theirs, an artist. He did a wonderful pen and ink and watercolor wash of shrimp boats in the harbor on the invitation and presented it in a handmade driftwood frame. (We were all in the Lowcountry; I was leaving and they knew I'd mourn.)

It sits on a table in our bedroom and I love it every day....and I'm not the sentimental type.

tackykat

Thank you for all of these great ideas. I know the couples well and know their respective styles; I was just remarking that I understood it could be hard for you all to make suggestions since you don't know them.

I have seen the personalized cutting boards and that is a thought I had. Both couples are very into cooking. Le Creuset or something similar is also a good idea.

Thank you again for all of your time and input.

1 Like Save    
User

How about giving them one of those gift of the month packages. They will think about you and enjoy your gift for a year;) We used to give the Harry and David fruit of the month as a gift to my in-laws at Christmas. I think there are several out there.

katlan

I just remembered what my sister did for a bridal shower one time. You could do a take on it. She had a big plastic storage container with a lid. Inside she had I think 7 different bags. Each bag was for a holiday. In each bag was a candle, a tea towel and dish cloth, etc. A bag for Christmas, Thanksgiving, St. Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, 4th of July.

If they are into decorating like that it could be one single item for each holiday.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Golly, I guess I have a very different take on what a suitable, personalized wedding present for family members would be. I would never consider a holiday decoration, tea towels or a gift of the month club membership appropriate for a wedding gift for anyone, let alone a niece and nephew!

I do think the clock is a great idea - I received one for my wedding eons ago and still have it. Also the Le Creuset or similar or set of quality knives. Or a piece of silver - picture frame, cocktail shaker, serving tray, ice bucket. I know lots of millennials that appreciate and value silver.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Are they registered yet? You might get some ideas of what they most desire from that...

tackykat

Carolb, no, they are not registered yet... wedding dates are not even set. I am just thinking ahead.

ETA: re GardenGals' comment just above, since I started this thread, I will comment (I was debating letting it slide.).

Gardengal, thank you for your "different take." However, what you deem "appropriate" for a wedding gift does not make anyone else's choices any less valid for the couple they were celebrating.

I truly appreciate everyone's suggestions.

2 Likes Save    
Suzieque

I, too, think that silver is not appreciated like it used to be. And picture frames? I think that giving those as gifts is overdone; everyone has their own taste. I wouldn't want anyone to pick out a frame for my wedding picture (or any other picture). Some of those glass, elaborate frames are, in my opinion, gaudy and I'd not want to use it. I think that Rhizo's sounds lovely, though.

I've given personalized cutting boards - nice ones, with their name(s) engraved. I think they've been appreciated and they're something usable. I know I'd like to have one. But again, everyone is different.

User

LOL gardengal, but believe me I would much rather have a fruit of the month than a clock.... just sayin..we are all different, lol

Save     Thanked by tackykat
User

The kids today would probably love a gift card from Airbnb or Uber.

User

Mine is probably one of the most inexpensive ones but one of the Reed and Barton silver bells (or a sterling one) that is a Christmas ornament with their wedding date engraved on it. Then every Christmas when they decorate their tree, it's a memory PLUS when they have children, another bell with the child's name and birthdate on it can be given as well -- I think the bells are around $20?

Islay Corbel

I don't agree that Le Creuset is a good idea.....not everyone wants cooking pots weighing a ton lol

If you're going to give them money, they can buy the pots and pans they want.

My in laws gave us a beautiful soup ladle that they bought in America, Virginia, I think. It was engraved with our names and wedding date. I used it for many years and now my daughter has it. It is a very treasured item, given and received with love. It doesn't need a cupboard of its own to store, and I could have used it or not without wasting an expensive item.

I always think there's a danger if inflicting things on people. If they express a desire for something then fine. If not, let them choose.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by tackykat
tackykat

Islay, I agree with the "inflicting things" part. there are some things we received for our wedding (that were not on our registry) that have never been used. But we have other gifts received that to this day make me recall the givers fondly any time I see/use them. Thanks for all the food for thought.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

No, definitely not "inflicting." I would never give a gift like Le Creuset if I wasn't sure if the recipient(s) wanted it. There are gifts that "fit" some people well and others not so much. I think something like the silver bells Martha mentioned would be nice for just about anyone.

Suzieque

Again, various tastes. I, personally, wouldn't love the silver bells. I'd appreciate the gesture and the giver, but not so much the gift. And I'd certainly not want another one for every child. Perhaps that's not how they decorate their tree.

But tackykat, you know them and are close to them - - - so you will be a great judge of what they'd like.

User

I got a some kind of a Le Crueset pot with cover, (like a small version of a Dutch oven) for a wedding gift. I had no idea what to do with it, lol. Knowing they were expensive and it was a gift, I toted it around with me from home to home. Finally the last move I made I put it out at my garage sale. I had 50 cents marked on it. I had more fun watching the person who discovered this great buy than I had from all the years owning it;)

Funny, also received a Waterford liquor decanter. UGH! I kept that for a few years and then one day I walked into Nordstroms without a receipt and told them I received this as a wedding gift and could I return it. They took it, lol, and gave me $400. It was a good day!

chloebud

"I had more fun watching the person who discovered this great buy than I had from all the years owning it."

Margie, I can imagine at that price! And I thought the $20 I mentioned for my LC finds at TJ Maxx was good. And what a happy day for you at Nordstrom! My experience has been they are indeed extremely good with almost any return items.

User

Suzieque - the neat thing about the silver bells is that you don't HAVE to put them on a tree if that is not to your taste. They can reside on a bookshelf or in a cabinet or on a tabletop.

wanda_va

I would definitely vote for a quilt. If you don't sew, you can have one made, and have their names and date embroidered. That is something that will outlast most other gifts, and yet is practical. Check out this site--their patterns are beautiful: http://morelcabincreations.weebly.com/romance-collection.html

Suzieque

Thanks, Martha. By no means was I disrespecting your gift - I'm sure they're lovely and can be used in a variety of ways as you mentioned. They're just not my taste. (Just as the items I mentioned wouldn't be everyone's taste). But I sure would appreciate you, as the giver, and your thoughtfulness.

Islay Corbel

Many quilts end up in the dog bed. Sigh. Just ask them what they would like.

localeater

My Dh and I have moved many times, each move includes an iteration of the question, “keep or donate.” Gifts that have made the cut are frequently smaller. A wooden letter opener, beautiful salad servers, olive wood salad bowls, unique serving tray, Simon Pearce platter, shot glass with family clan detail.

tackykat

thanks again for all the input. LOL, I think a quilt may not be the best because as Islay mentioned... and both couples already have a dog. They are all enthusiastic cooks so I think a kitchen item will be the trick.

2 Likes Save    
chloebud

Sounds like a good plan to me, tackykat.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I've replaced all my LC with Staub the past few years. 2-3 pieces a year. LC goes to the beach house.

Always a great piece on sale around the holidays and random times on Zwilling.

Just checked, like this...4qrt , 8 color choices, free shipping...until tomorrow

Zwilling link, HERE

chloebud

That's a good deal, sleevendog. Staub is nice, too. The only piece I have is this pumpkin pot...3.5 qts. Just wish it was a little larger.

Compumom

Chloe, I agree. Someone once gave me a tomato pot from Le Creuset and I exchanged it for a 4 qt dutch oven. My other favorite piece of LC is my covered brasier pot. It's a gem!

chloebud

Compumom, I also have one of their brasiers. Mine is blue and identical to this one. They are gems! I also love their oval Dutch ovens. Their wide, shallow 'Signature' series pots I mentioned in an earlier post are pretty darn nice, too.

josephene_gw

Crossstitch their last name and frame it.

fire extinguisher

sprtphntc7a

personalization mall they have anything you can think of!!

how about a cutting board with their State on it - here

so many choices and ideas!!!

bleusblue2

I once gave, as a wedding gift, a cake server -- you know it looks like a spatula, could be used to serve pies, cakes -- pizza? But this was a special one I bought in a handmade shop, made by an artist with a beautiful handle. The handle has two abstract figures intertwined. I see that they use it often, even at home because it never wears out. Now, take into account that they had everything by the time they were married. This server doesn't take up any space but has become sentimental and useful. Do you know any places that sell very fine crafts? You might find something on Etsy too!

Gloria Dix

My favorite wedding gift is a My Sky Moment. It shows the exact placement of the stars on the night of a special event (First Night as Husband and Wife, The Beginning of Your Journey, etc.) They can be personalized with a picture of the couple. They are gifts that the couple can cherish for a lifetime. They can be framed by the company and delivered directly, which also makes them convenient. I have also done them for first night in new home, birth of a baby and even a memorial for my ex husband's girlfriend when he passed away. You can purchase them from https://myskymoment.com. Happy shopping!

Save    

First post, suspect=spam?

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

probably

how about a sous vide immersion heater?

Save    
colleenoz

I used to give a picnic basket all fitted out and filled with goodies the happy couple could consume on their honeymoon if they didn’t want to go out :-)

morz8 - Washington Coast

Colleen, I rec'd that and still have the handled picnic basket with its leather closure. I haven't used it in a while but certainly could, it's still beautiful.

Gloria Dix

I am not spam sleevendog, just new to HOUZZ.

Save    
Suzieque

Gloria, I see that your post was removed and I'm sorry that I missed it. Everyone has to have a first post; I don't know why yours was assumed to be Spam. Welcome to THS/HOUZZ.

If you have a recommendation for a gift I'd like to see it. Would you please repost?

Save    
Gloria Dix

Hmm. I am not sure how any of this works...I can still see my post, but you can't?

This was the one I had made for my ex husband's girlfriend when he passed away in April. She loved it so much.

Save    

For the record I did not 'flag' it. Why I asked first. I just don't click on advertising links from a first time poster on an old thread....though wedding gift ideas are never old and always needed...

Save    
Suzieque

That's beautiful, Gloria. I love it.

Sleevendog, I wasn't intending to call you out. I don't click on advertising links, either. I don't see one in Gloria's recent post, but I don't see the original post, either.

1 Like Save    
KatieC

I know someone who makes beautiful one-of-a kind maple table art ;-)

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Wedding Gifts They’ll Cherish
By Gloria
Let someone else buy the blender. These are wedding gifts the happy couple will really love to have and to hold
Full Story
Holidays Gift Ideas for the Clutter-Averse
If your presents are experiences or edibles, they won’t wind up collecting dust around the house
Full Story
Decorating Guides Sail Through Special Occasions With a Ready, Gracious Home
Smile serenely in the face of impromptu parties, unexpected guests and last-minute gift giving with these ideas for preparing now
Full Story
We are a family owned business with four generations of experience in whole house remodeling. For over 25 years,... Read More