Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_73591374

GE Cafe Handles on non-Cafe appliances?

HU-73591374
5 years ago

We’re getting a GE Cafe Range. However, we have no need for Cafe priced fridge or dishwasher. Does anyone know if the Cafe handles (which I can purchase separately) will fit on GE Profile or even basic GE appliances (or even any other brands, but I doubt it) to get me a cohesive look on budget?

Comments (85)

• Tammy Metzger
    2 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing. I ordered the GE stainless steel refrigerator with stainless steel handles and want to try to match the Zline SS range with the champagne bronze hardware and the GE Cafe SS dishwasher with the brushed bronze handle. I wonder if I can paint the stainless steel refrigerator handles to match. Has anyone tried this? They have quite a selection of metalic spray paints that might work.

• Yvonne jamnik
    2 years ago

I have all the matching handles and knobs for sale. I changed out to copper. Never used, perfect condition. Yjamnik@yahoo.com

• HU-759513800
    2 years ago

@Yvonne jamnik would you sell me just the dishwasher handle?

• ggeb
    last year

Can you take the little copper piece off of the stainless steel handles?

• Sandra
    last year

No. Is not moveable.

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    last year

I have GE Cafe copper handles for 4dr fridge, induction double oven range, dishwasher. I got copper to replace bronze but after cabinets and pulls went in I prefer the bronze and only used copper stove dials. Anyone interested in buying? Spent $1300, asking $960.

• Jen H
    last year

Sandra, can you share a photo? i purchased a ge monogram stove and a kitchen aid refrigerator. interested in exploring if i can get ge handles to match the monogram and replace on the kitchen aid. i'm not even sure this is an option, just starting some research on it and stumbled upon this thread.

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    last year

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    last year

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    last year

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    last year

• Jen H
    last year

thanks for sharing. these will not work for me. appreciate the response though!

• PRO
    Mason
    last year

@Sandra Bogaczyk if you take off the dishwasher handle, how far apart are the holes center to center? Meaning the distance from the left hole to center of the right? thanks!

• PRO
    Jpm Construction Contracting Inc
    last year

I was able to use the matching range handles for my panel ready refrigerator.

• Sandra
    last year

18 3/4

• icrs
    last year

But... if you have a trusty GE Profile fridge that you like (with the water station in the door),would you be able to replace the entire door with a panel ready Cafe one? I thought I would buy the Slate Profile, but ended up with an open kitchen and a Cafe range. I'd love to use a panel ready door with white glass and handles matching the range. Seems like the hinges are the same, and Cafe makes a fridge with the same water configuration (2 types of ice, water, light and temp / ice controls). Has anyone tried it?

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    last year

I have the 4 door copper handles the dishwasher handle and double oven handles all the original boxes unused one not even open. All copper let me know if you want for half the retail price as they would not restock opened boxes. I prefer the copper handles but the brush bronze that came with appliances goes seamlessly with my other hardware so I am keeping the original bronze and selling the brand new copper that has never been used. Gorgeous. Stunning. t me know

• Hilary Zucker
    last year

Sandra which brand and color of hardware did you go with that matches the bronze.

looks beautiful

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    last year

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    last year

Dish 18 3/4

• Gin Ram
    last year

Has anyone changed the handle on the Monogram Adventium microwave to the Cafe handle? Thank you

• telkelly
    last year

Does anyone know what setscrew goes with attaching a GE Cafe appliance handle to a non-GE panel ready appliance?

• telkelly
    last year

John Murphy?

• PRO
    Jpm Construction Contracting Inc
    last year

Hi. If I remember I had to basically mcgyver a metal post and screw onto the wood panel to allow me to attach the hardware using the supplied set screw that came with the handle.

• okcorrell
    last year

I recently replaced a Cafe dishwasher with a Profile one and the the handle spacing is different (Profile is a couple inches wider). The handle swap CAN be done by getting the same diameter brushed stainless pipe a little longer and dropping it into the Cafe mounts. The mounting plates on the inside of the dishwasher door are the same, just different hardware/mounting methods. the Cafe uses studs (male) mounted from the inner door and there are allen screws that mount the Cafe handles (female) to the studs that protrude on the out door/face of the dishwasher. The Profile handle (male) has studs that pass through the outer door that are bolted down on the inside of the door (passthrough). My Cafe dishwasher was over $1300 and only lasted 3 years. Out of principal (perhaps spite), I am not spending that amount again for matching handles when I can hack it.

• telkelly
    last year

Thanks to you both! This is incredibly helpful.

The issue I have is that I have a Thermador paneled refrigerator but want to place the Cafe handle on it to match the other Cafe appliances in my kitchen. The panel is a 3/4" veneer and so I believe I will need to do something similar by attaching a metal post into the panel.

And duly noted about the Cafe dishwasher.

Many thanks again.

• okcorrell
    last year

The key to completing your project/retrofit/upgrade is if you can remove the outer door panel to access the inside of it. The Cafe uses a square plate ~3x5" essentially as a big backing washer for the studs that are bolted on from the inside as backing (Part 716: https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/ModelSectionParts/CDT875P2N0S1/3/0/0/0/ESCUTCHEON_&_DOOR_ASSEMBLY). The Cafe handles then uses grub/set screws to lock onto the studs that protrude through the outer door. Depending on what your factory Thermador hole spacing (width or height) is, you may need to cut down the Cafe bar or even order a new, longer one.

For my dishwasher project, I needed to replace the bar with one that is wider as the hole spacing on the GE Profile is wider (for no good reason besides not making them interchangeable). I used a soldering iron to loosen up the red loctite they used on the mounting screws of the stock Cafe bar. I ordered a new, longer stainless bar off of ebay and cut it down to size so the mounts fit the GE profile spacing.

I am pretty motivated out of spite to inform/educate everyone that I can. It seems like GE purposely made these parts incompatible across their own lines and their customer service reps have commented on several online spaces that it is not safe to use on other applicances. This is complete BS. The Cafe is lipstick on teh Prodile line from what I can see. Think of Lexus vs Toyota or Acura vs Honda. Happy modding!

• Federo
    11 months ago

@okcorell thanks for the info. i too am getting a blk slate ge profile range and dishwasher, and a white ge cafe fridge. i want to get the cafe handles and put them on the range and dishwasher. you mentioned ”The handle swap CAN be done by getting the same diameter brushed stainless pipe a little longer and dropping it into the Cafe mounts.” where did u get this pipe? any other insights you could provide regarding my potential project?

• Federo
    11 months ago

@okcorrell any pictures btw?

• okcorrell
    11 months ago

• okcorrell
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

The project turned out to be a bit more work than I originally anticpated, but I love the results. The OEM Cafe bar has a 1 1/8" outer diameter. I purchased this item https://www.ebay.com/itm/254939399676 off eBay and cut it down to size as the Profile's handle hole spacing/width is wider, but uses the same backing plates on the inner door. Since the Cafe has a flat face and the Profile has a slight curve to it, I had to shave down the inner sides of the Cafe mounts with a metal grinder to accomodate the curved face of the Profile.

Please note that I took off the handle and mounting studs from my old Cafe that died in less than 3 years!

• TheTbiso
    10 months ago

I have a problem. We purchased the Cafe two over range, dishwasher, microwave and counter deep refrigerator. Problem - the dishwasher and the range are so close the doors don't open! Now I'd like to know if anyone has taken off the handles and made them shorter. Or if someone thinks it can be done. Any ideas would be appreciated. I think we need to shorten them by 3".

• okcorrell
    10 months ago

After modifying my own Cafe handles to go on a Profile dishwasher, I would say that you can not shorten how far the handles protrude out from the face/front of the appliance. You can only de/increase the width of the handle.

• Debbie Klausing
    10 months ago

Sounds like some of you prefer Profile? I deciding which 33” counter depth fridge to get. I don’t have room for any other size. Also need an electric 30” range, dishwasher and maybe countertop microwave. I was considering Cafe but sounds like they’re just gussied up Profile? Profile was my choice until I saw the Cafe range.
    I really dislike that black side they put on fridges.
    I’ve researched until I’m confusing myself.😂

• okcorrell
    10 months ago

I like the rest of the Cafe appliances we have, but the dishwasher died after 3 years and that is unacceptable on it's own. Not to mention me dumping more money into getting the same Cafe model.

• Kayne Thrift
    10 months ago

I used the Cafe bronze/copper handles on my panel refrigerator, freezer, dishwasher and beverage center. As most know from this thread GE does not sanction using the Cafe handles on panels and a couple of people have done some extensive jerry-rigging to get these handles to work on a panel. I went a different route and had the appliance bolts custom made to accommodate the handles, utilizing the existing set screw, with a length sufficient for a 3/4" panel. I think this solution is as close to a "normal factory install" as you can get. They are being installed as I'm writing this, but if anyone wants a similar solution I can put you in touch with the guy who manufactured the bolts for me. I

I don't know what the cost in materials and labor the other solutions run, such as the epoxy solution, but for 12 bolts (I got 4 spares) it cost me $230. The labor to install was part of my cabinet install, so no extra cost.

• bry911
    10 months ago

If the above screw (pictured below) is what you had made, stop the install now. It isn't going to work and you should seriously question the bona fides of any cabinet installers who would install that.

I really don't mean to upset you but this is really the jerry-rigged solution. I know that you were attempting to get something that matched the factory, but that isn't the best solution. There is a reason that I didn't recommend using appliance posts on a wooden appliance panel. If you wanted as close to factory as possible you can buy a universal appliance post (which fits Cafe) for $15.99 on Amazon.

The problem being wood and metal are different, you don't screw appliance handles into wood, they need to be bolted through the wood. Screws (#10) that fully penetrate 3/4" wood have a pull out rating of about 108 lbs. before seasonal humidity cycles. Once there are a few humidity cycles that is going to be cut in half. I ran that screw through the calculator and I am coming back with between 25 - 47 lbs... I would be surprised if that thing will open the empty door ten times and it certainly isn't going to stand the test of time.

----

Epoxy is what we use when we need to strengthen the bolt holding capacity of wood. It is a lifetime solution that simply eliminates the problems with bolt holding capacity of hygroscopic materials.

Again, if you really need to have the stud, get a $15 appliance stud from Amazon and then either find a female receiver or do an epoxy pour and tap it. I would personally opt for a set screw on the handle as it is still stronger, but if you really want the post then go for it.

Good luck

BTW... My solution was a few bucks plus the handles. In the interest of full disclosure, the Total Boat and West Systems I typically recommend will cost $65 to $95 but you get a quart and you only need a cup. You can get a small container of two part liquid epoxy for $12 to $15 dollars.

• Kayne Thrift
    10 months ago

Thanks so much for your insight. As you can see the handles are installed now, so I am hoping for the best.  I spoke with 4 different handymen about doing your solution and none of them wanted to do it.  Unfortunately, as a 72 year old woman, who has zero experience with tools, I'd never attempt to do your solution myself.  I can only hope that when you are proven correct I can find someone who can use your solution to fix it.  By the way, I could not find a "universal" appliance post when I was searching for a solution which is ultimately why I had the screws custom made.  Clearly, you are an engineer as well as a craftsman so you know of what you speak.  Here's hoping my solution defies the odds.  I'll let you know how things progress.

• bry911
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

For future reference. The part number is WR01X11007.

https://www.reliableparts.com/gen-wr01x11007.html

-—

I still prefer using epoxy, but this will work if you can find a female receiver (sex bolt) with the proper threads.

• bry911
    10 months ago

@Kanye - I know you have spent a lot of money on this but don't let that sunk cost rule the decision. Those look like fairly aggressive threads and this could damage the entire panel when they pull out and mean spending a lot more money.

Here is my recommendation. Order the above part or find a generic version of it online and order that. When it comes in go to a hardware store and figure out the thread pitch or threads per inch, which is just a fancy way of saying screw on nuts until you find one that fits perfectly and write down that information. It will probably be metric so likely M6x1 or M8x1.25 but it could be SAE, probably 1/4-20 or 12-24.

Once you have that information, there are two options that your handy man shouldn't have a problem with.

1.) *Better - Order a female receiver for a sex bolt (a.k.a. binder bolt, connector bolt) that matches that size. Remove the appliance panel and drill a hole through it. Push the female end through the back and thread the post onto it.

2.) If you can't remove the appliance panel, you can use a threaded insert. Threaded inserts still have to deal with wood movement but there is just so much thread area on a threaded insert that they just don't have to worry so much about wood movement. Eventually they are likely fail, but still will likely outlast the appliance. They also have the advantage of being able to be installed without removing the door by simply drilling a proper sized hole in the door and threading the insert in. So long as it is drilled true, the post will be much better.

• Kayne Thrift
    10 months ago

Bry911, thanks so much for your detailed description for an alternative fix for the handles.  I will run this by the handyman I think is most proficient and have him install the best solution.  Again, thanks your thoughtful solutions - it's much appreciated.

• TJ Kragenbrink
    7 months ago

@bry911 thank you for all of this! ive ordered the bolts you recommended, we are about to install the long Cafe refrigerator handles on alder panels on a panel ready subzero 48”. any extra advice id super appreciate! do we need to counter sink the female sex bolt piece on the inside of the panel? or do you think there will be a gap on the front of the panel fridge to accomodate?

• TJ Kragenbrink
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

@bry911

@bry911 this is what were installing onto, but i have the Cafe handles that are roughly 33” long.

Pic of the soace the subzero is headed into in the background.

• somersky
    6 months ago

Did the handles work on the subzero ?

• somersky
    6 months ago

Was it difficult?

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    14 days ago

I have the 4 door copper handles the dishwasher handle and double oven handles all the original boxes unused one not even open. All copper let me know if you want for half the retail price as they would not restock opened boxes. I prefer the copper handles but the brush bronze that came with appliances goes seamlessly with my other hardware so I am keeping the original bronze and selling the brand new copper that has never been used. Gorgeous. Stunning. t me know

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    14 days ago

• Sandra Bogaczyk
    14 days ago

• C toddgo
    9 days ago

Can confirm you can get longer handles take out the set screws holding the bar to the ends and cut it to size

• okcorrell
    9 days ago

Yes, read the thread above for more info.