Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dredfunk

Miele Combi steam Master Chef recipe book or PDF?

dredfunk
5 years ago
We just purchased a Miele combi steam oven with MasterChef recipes. The oven is great, but there is a steep learning curve in terms of figuring out its many functions.

There are 100+ recipes in the MasterChef section. For example under bread, there are more than a dozen programs: “baguettes, braided Swiss loaf, flatbread, Ryebread, ... But other than instructing on level of browning, tray, etc. there’s no indication of a specific recipe.

Now there are some online recipes, but none that specifically address the Programs in the current MasterChef XXL models That I’ve been able to find. There are some Miele cookbooks in German, a number of Australian and European PDFs and websites about cooking with the Miele combisteam or steam oven. But nothing online or in print that I’m able to locate that describes the individual recipes that the MasterChef Programs refer to.
I sent a request for information to Miele USA, but haven’t heard back yet.

Anyone have success locating these combisteam MasterChef recipes?

Comments (27)

• chispa
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

There are no recipes. Those are just the cooking programs for that particular type of food and not a specific recipe. They are telling you how to cook the recipes that you already have and used to do in a regular oven.

There is a steep learning curve, but so far I think it is worth it. If/when we move to another house, I will very likely plan on getting another Miele CSO.

You need to plan on doing some experimenting and tweaking things as you learn more.

Here are some websites I found that might help you. Some are not Miele, so you will have to make necessary adjustments for your CSO.

https://cookingwithsteam.com/
    https://www.steamandbake.com/
    http://ebooks.miele.com.au/miele-docs/combination_steam_oven_cookbook/#/1/
    http://www.eirvik.is/gogn/L/steamovencookbook_5950081.pdf
    https://www.vzug.com/medias/sys_master/8799350128670/J864.017-1_e_COMBI_STEAM_SL_XSL.pdf

https://us.mieleusa.com/mielerecipe/recipe_list.aspx
    http://www.thermador.ca/Public/Media/pdf/26204724_9000882530.pdf

• dredfunk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Chispa, thanks for your comments and website references.

I’ve seen some of the combisteam recipe compendia and they are helpful. However, there’s quite a wide range in most individual recipes. Even the definitions of what is meant by some recipe headings is open to question.

There must have been a specific master recipe used to develop the program settings in the MasterChef selections. That would make a logical starting point for using the built in programs.

It surprises me that with Miele’s meticulous attention to engineering detail, that this information is lacking.
  • chispa
    5 years ago

Interesting that you see it that way, I never expected that MasterChef would be tied to any recipes.

I think many will already have their own family or favorite recipes and all they need is the CSO to provide basic automatic programs (MasterChef) for those foods/recipes, which they can use to set a benchmark. After the first trial run, you can then fine tune the CSO settings to improve the results of your recipe.

I cooked some poached eggs based on instructions from a blogger who had a different CSO. I threw out the first 6 eggs! The Miele cooked them in 1/3 of the time compared to her oven.

• Kim G
    5 years ago

I agree with what chispa has already posted. I suggest you call an experience center and chat with the personnel there. I had some questions and called and found them very helpful. If there is one that you can visit in person that would be even better. They have several classes that may be beneficial. I think the key is understanding how steam/combi steam can benefit your current recipe repertoire. The Miele CSO is a very powerful tool.

I understand you point about there must be a recipe they used - I am sure they did. For example - under cakes/pastries there is a program for lime cheesecake. Why lime and not just cheesecake? What size pan did they use? Is it a dense New York style cheesecake? Those items would vary cycle selection and cook times. For this program they use only baking cycles and not a steam nor combi steam mode which I would use and other Miele cheesecake recipes I have found use. I find many of the auto programs likely not relevant to my needs so I don’t try to over think them - only use the ones that work for me. I find their steam or combi steam programs very helpful such as vegetables/rice/pasta etc. Their skinning programs work well. I don’t cook a lot of meat in mine so I have not investigated those programs.

There is a baking table in the user manual that outline the various stages for their bread cycles. I have found these very useful as a starting point for incorporating combi steam into my bread baking. The Miele CSO owner’s thread in the appliance forum has a lot of information from users on their use of the oven.

• dredfunk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kim, thanks for your feedback. I did take a class at the experience center in Chicago which was quite helpful, before deciding to buy the Miele CSO. I’m trying to learn as much as I can, early on, to able to use the CSO well. My thinking is that there must have been some benchmark or master recipes that were used to create the individual MasterChef programs. For example: Mixed Grain Bread, Triple Grain Bread, Rye Mix Bread, Flat Bread, Spelt Bread. There are a huge number of possible recipes in each of these. What’s the starting point that was used for that recipe? Although one can save a recipe to favorites, there’s a limited capacity (20) to do so. I’m just interested in a starting point for a specific MasterChef program, so that I can begin to modify my own and experiment with new recipes. Does that make sense or am I asking for too much?
    Thanks for your help!
  • Kim G
    5 years ago

I would call the Chicago experience center then and ask your questions about base recipes used to fine tune their master chef programs. I honestly don’t think Miele is in the cookbook business and the effort to publish all their test kitchen recipes is probably something they don’t want to invest resources on.

For mixed grain bread - if it were me I would find a basic recipe if I didn’t have one already. For example - googling “mixed grain bread recipe” I found the following on epicurous as a first hit:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/multi-grain-bread-with-sesame-flax-and-poppy-seeds-523

This might be one to start with (or any other that looks good to you) and then use the mixed grain bread program and see how it works. As I said the steps for this program is likely in your user manual that you could create your own and tweak if needed. I believe that is what Chispa is suggesting. You will note in the above recipe they have you generate steam in a regular oven which your CSO will be far superior in my own experience.

Personally I want to know what cycles/temps/settings they are using for their programs and not so much a recipe. That would be far more useful to me. For example their MC quiche program. I don’t need a quiche recipe but I would love to know if they use different baking cycles and which ones for how long during their program. That would help me better understand how to use the oven in ways I haven’t explored for my own recipes.

• dredfunk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Kim, thanks for your suggestions. I’d like to know the MasterChef settings: temperature, % moisture, time etc for each listing as well. However, it’s not available through the menu on the CSO, unless I’m missing something.
    I plan on calling the Miele experience center, if I don’t get a response to my email.
  • Kim G
    5 years ago

Please report back it you get any info. I asked a sour dough question through their ask the chef portal on their website and never got a response. That is why I just call the experience center. It woud be nice if you select a MC program you could do a display cooking steps like on the favorite programs. Enjoy your new oven! It’s awesome..

• dredfunk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I haven’t been able to call the Miele experience center yet, but will try next week.
    I sent another email requesting info, referencing a “cookbook” which I haven’t been able to locate.
    I’ll update with any news.

Here’s a copy of my email to Miele USA:

I have a new combi steam DGC6865 XXL
    I’m trying to locate a reference, either electronic or hard copy document that refers to the MasterChef recipes in the oven and accompanying manual. There are a multitude of recipes listed: flatbread, braided swiss bread, three grain bread, etc, but no indication of accompanying recipes.
    On page 128 of the manual that came with the oven (10 290 250) It says “with master chef programs, use the bakeware recommended in the cookbook “. How do I receive the cookbook or an electronic link to this cookbook, as it was not included with my new oven?

Please be so kind as to respond.
  • aussiesx4
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We recently bought the XXL versions of both a pyrolytic oven and also the Combi. Attended 2 classes at Miele. Incredible technology but an almost obtuse approach to the Auto functions. This applies to both the ovens, where the recipes the supplied recipe book, show Auto functions that don't exist. Incredibly, in Australia, the Combi doesn't have an option for Lamb under the Meat selection! And yet the recipe book shows Auto recipes for both Leg of Lamb and Rack of Lamb. Frustrating....sort of like buying Automatic Porsche and only getting manual gears.

• dredfunk
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Aussiex4,
    I agree with your comments. The software is rudimentary by today’s standards. It would be much more useful if the oven settings could be adjusted individually, rather than creating a limited number of favorites. Also deleting some of the unused ones: ostrich, roebuck, black salsify, ... There are master recipes for many of the menu items, just not in the US market. The CSO is really a great appliance and does so many things well, it’s a shame that Miele doesn’t provide better support.
    We use it regularly to roast, bake, sous vide, make grains, pasta, vegetables, yoghurt, soft boiled eggs, can and rejuvenate bread and reheat leftovers. By far our most versatile kitchen appliance.
  • amy
    4 years ago

I agree completely!! I am a serious cook and have many advanced tools and capable of high level cooking. This is the MOST frustrating kitchen appliance/tool I have ever seen. My husband bought and installed it as a surprise. The thought of over $4,000.00 for this makes me sick. The Masterchef is ridiculously bare. There is nothing for as simple as chicken breast. If you go online for basic information nothing exists. I compare this to my Joule which was 200.00. Both represent new and different ways of cooking. The information makes the sous vide simple. The Miele is impossible. DO NOT BUY

• dredfunk
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Amy
    I agree and totally understand your frustration. The software of the Miele CSA is in serious need of reworking. It’s quite behind more recent kitchen tools such as the Joule which has a more elegant user interface and a large library and community behind it.
    I would point out that the Gaggenau CSA, which is even more expensive, has a spartan interface with nothing approaching the Miele’s MasterChef.
    We own a plumbed XXL for just over a year and have had the original replaced once due to multiple defects. It has been the most frustrating and expensive appliance that we have ever owned. That being said, it is also the most wonderful and versatile appliance. There is nothing that comes close. My wife and I use it multiple times daily. Recent examples: soft boiled eggs, roast chicken, reheat food, yoghurt, dehydrated fruit, steamed grains, pasta, baking bread, roasted veggies, popovers, cookies. These were some of the use in the past 10 days. It works well for Sous vide as well.
    There is a steep learning curve, however. Miele complicates this with the MasterChef programs which don’t always work as you would expect, are irrelevant for the US market ( ostrich, with Roebuck and black salsify, anyone?) and don’t have associated recipes.
    There are recipe books for many of the listed recipes online in other markets, but not for the US. Here’s one:

https://www.miele.ee/media/ex/ee/PDF/Steam_combi_ovens_DGC_6000.pdf

In addition the CSA booklet manual contains the breakdown of the recipe programs: temperature, % steam and timing.

There are a number of sites, including Miele’s that have CSA recipe lists:

https://cookwise.com.au/combi-steamer-101/

https://www.steamandbake.com/blog/23112016how-to-cook-turkey-in-a-steam-oven

https://www.mieleusa.com/recipes/

It takes a bit of experimentation. Try some of the built in programs, ignore them if they don’t work, favorite those that do. It’s a computer controlled oven with many unique features that you program to your own needs.
    And don’t forget the extended warranty!
    Hope this helps a bit.

• Debra Fromholzer
    3 years ago

If people are still looking, I found this online pdf from Miele called "Baking - Roasting - Moisture Plus". It is a 152 page cookbook with instructions that include moisture settings. I'll write back once I try a few recipes. https://www1.miele.com/pmedia/ZGA/TX2493/9791371-000-01_9791371-01.pdf

• Martin Halliday
    3 years ago

This website has some great combi-steam specific recipes https://www.steamandbake.com/

• picasso57
    3 years ago

I came across this chain of comments whilst looking for a miele cookbook for our brand new state of the art combi steam over [7series]. I even went to the local experience centre and they didnt have one available although she said that there was one produced. Emailing miele did not help either. Having spent a huge amount of money on their product it is disappointing that there is poor support. I did get a cookbook with my 7 series speed oven bought at the same time , that tallies up with the auto function in the menu. It’s great. It doesn’t need to have hard cover or fancy pictures just something that tallies up with the auto settings! I hope someone from Miele reads this feedback.

• Martin Halliday
    3 years ago

My wife works in the Miele Experience Center in Vancouver, and I told her about this website. Now she tells all of her customers about it. I guess it didn't filter through the rest of the organization. I will let her know and see if she can spread the word.

• Deborah Verginella
    3 years ago

Tune in to my zoom classes. I’m the executive chef At Miele Gallery CAPLAN’S in Toronto and as part of our service we teach our clients everything about the appliances they purchase. www.caplans.ca

we are the only Miele dealer with a live kitchen and we are committed to making sure our clients use their appliances to the fullest!

check out my Instagram too: @chefdeborahverginella

• dredfunk
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Deborah,
    Thanks for letting us know about your Zoom classes. Are there recordings of past ones or only scheduled live events.
    Ed

• Mark Curtiss
    3 years ago

I've had similar frustration in trying to figure out what is happening with the Master Chef settings while cooking and how to use them effectively. This is especially true with bread baking, because Master Chef seems to include some proofing time in the oven but you can't tell how long the cycle is in the oven or how much proofing is needed before putting it in the oven. Imagine my surprise when I came across this Miele USA *convection* oven bread recipe book, which has recipes that tie to each of the Master Chef Plus settings for their convection oven: https://us.mieleusa.com/pdf/brochures/MasterChef_Plus_Recipe_Book.PDF.

It would be so useful if they could produce something similar for the Combi Steam oven that tied to the Master Chef selections listed there.

• dredfunk
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mark,

You may want to check with Miele USA whether there is a US specific recipe book as there is for some other regions. There wasn’t a US one 1 + year ago, though that may have change.

Here’s on from Ireland, that I’d referenced earlier

https://www.miele.ie/media/ex/ie/Cookbooks/Steam%20Combination%20Oven%20Cookbook.pdf

• stillwatergal
    2 years ago

With Covid there are no live classes here in AZ. Miele zoom classes are few and far between, even though I'm glad to virtually attend live classes in other time zones. I love to cook but tend to rely on cookbooks, tweaking recipes that look interesting. I so wish there were a cookbook for the USA market....

• PRO
    Luke Hagenbach Real Estate
    2 years ago

I would like to add here that I have also been racking my brain for how to find the recipes for these MasterChef settings, as well as to find the programs behind them so I can know what to pick for my own recipes (time, temperature, humidity, convection, top vs surround, how many steps...nothing.

Also the recipe search function on the Miele site is broken, and some of their recipes come up in Google search results, only to go to dead links. Like this one for Roasted Beet and Fennel Salad with Goat Cheese.

The link takes you to here, but it's a dead result. I've reported it to them multiple times. Nobody seems to care very much over at Miele USA.

• leonardjan
    7 months ago

Miele is smoke and mirrors. I was promised cooking classes at the Miele experience center to learn the oven here in Toronto and every time I call, there aren’t any events yet.