The VOID between the Wedding & the Reception

David&Sue Schoch

Our Grandson is getting married soon. The Wedding is a SA at 2PM, the Reception is at 5PM, a 1/2 hr drive from the church. Both are at least 1 hr. our home. I'm assuming pix will happen after the event & we need to be present.

We have a OUT OF STATE [great] Aunt + Aunt/Uncle staying/driving with us overnight. They will have a Rental car. Our guests don't need to stay around for Pix. We don't know either area.

What do we suggest our guests DO/GO for the time between events when we may not be able to be with them?

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

What attractions are near the site?

Save     Thanked by David&Sue Schoch
colleenoz

We generally look for a nice cafe in the area (Google Maps or TripAdvisor can help here) and have a long cup of coffee/tea with a group of friends who are also attending.

kathyg_in_mi

We do McDonalds!

David&Sue Schoch

Any attractions nearby are either worth more time than available when driving distance is also included or not of interest to them. Other than family to be involved in post service photos, the "GREATS" don't know anyone else at the wedding. They won't be included in pix [right or wrong].

Do I have them stay at the church, sitting alone together, while the photo ops shifts occur?

There will some time after photos & before the Reception, so I guess Grampa & I will join them at McDonalds for 3/4th of an hour - Grampa in his Tux, me in my formal dress. Somehow it doesn't feel right!

1 Like Save    
gellchom

If you do go to McDonald's in your formal wear, please promise me you will ask a cashier, "Excuse me, is formal dress required here?" and when they say (probably with a baffled look) "No, of course not," turn to your husband and fume, "I TOLD you we didn't have to get dressed up to come here!"

2 Likes Save    
colleenoz

Gellchom, I am reminded of my own wedding many years ago. One of my (two) bridesmaids had herself married about six months previously, and she still had her wedding dress. Her husband was unable to attend our wedding due to being involved in a cross country car rally, and so my bridesmaid was planning to leave the reception early enough to drive down to meet him in the hotel where he was staying that night.

Since she had her hair all done up with flowers, and an obvious wedding-type bouquet, she went home and changed into her wedding dress before driving down. Then she dashed into the hotel with her bouquet saying, "Where is that rat?" giving the impression she had been left waiting at the altar.

It was most amusing :-)

3 Likes Save    
sushipup1

Just read a wedding story in the Sunday paper. Every week, a couple and their courtship and wedding is profiled. This morning's was a big Catholic wedding and reception at a country club. While photos were being taken and before the reception began, the guests were invited to stop for refreshments at the bride's uncle's business, a funeral home.

Save    
arcy_gw

These days they are not so much taking pictures as bar hopping. I find it rude and irritating. This hopping often extends into the first hour of the reception. We use this time to check into our hotel, and don't feel we have to hurry as the guests of honor will not be present at their party for some time.

Save    
gellchom

That is inconsiderate, I agree. You need to think of ALL your guests’ comfort and convenience, not just your peer group friends’ that will be bar hopping with you. Very rude to come to your reception an hour late for that reason.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Weddings Seattle Couple Restyles Their Home for a Wedding
By Houzz
Duo behind Reinspired Home invest in their house rather than a rented wedding venue
Full Story
Entertaining DIY Garden Wedding: Bring a Vintage Vibe to Your Big Day
A beautiful garden wedding made by hand can save you money while being memorable and meaningful
Full Story
Weddings How One Couple Got a Perfectly Intimate Backyard Wedding
Vintage pieces, natural materials and close family and friends are an ideal combination for a Pittsburgh couple
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We are a small company, LLC located in the city of ohio in search of business contracts, commercial among others... Read More