Do we need a prenup agreement?

jeson hayes

I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
functionthenlook

I would get a pre-nup. If she truly loves you for you she should have no problem with the pre-nup.

Save     Thanked by jeson hayes
User

Pre-nup for sure fair to both of you.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by jeson hayes
jeson hayes

@functionthenlook Thank you.. That's what I thought too.

Save    
Mrs Pete

I would absolutely have been insulted if my then-fiance had wanted a pre-nup.

We didn't get married with the idea of "what if"? We put all our effort into building a life together -- a forever life -- and we're coming up on our 28th annivesary. If we'd started with a pre-nup, with the idea that at least one of us was considering "what if", it would've felt different -- maybe a bit disposable?

If you have ANY thoughts about this relationship lasting, consider pre-marital counseling instead of a pre-nup.

Admittedly, on the day we were married, our joint assets were $200, one car, three college degrees, and a house with a brand-new mortgage. We were broke.

2 Likes Save    
grapefruit1_ar

Both of our daughters got pre-nups. I would advise it.

Save    
sushipup1

If you have assets, and are marrying someone who will be coming to the country just to marry you, YES. Get a pre-nup.

If you have any assets, yes, get a pre-nup anyway. Avoid the pre-nup only is you have nothing to lose.

And read some of these articles on Russian bride scams.

https://www.google.com/search?q=russian+bride+scams&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

2 Likes Save    
User

Sadly, we've seen too many times where a foreign bride marries to get to the U.S. and stays married just long enough to get whatever she can from the "marriage". Definitely get a pre-nup. Why should she be insulted if she is marrying you because she loves you? A pre-nup will let her keep all of her assets and you yours.

Save    
friedajune

If when you tell your fiancee that you want a pre-nup she is offended and won't sign the pre-nup, that would worry me. I would be wondering why she won't sign it.

2 Likes Save    
gellchom

You need to speak to a lawyer about this, not us. Apart from us not having any idea how this will affect YOUR fiancee emotionally, we don't know very important circumstances, such as the following questions: Does either of you have children or other dependents? Debt? How much property do you have that you are concerned about protecting in case of divorce? What are the laws in your state regarding marital property upon divorce? And that's just a start. (I'm not asking you to answer those questions for us, I'm just listing them to show a few of the factors you will need to consider.) Do NOT make this decision based upon the advice of strangers on any web site, even this one. Talk to an attorney and perhaps your accountant. Good luck!

Save    
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
For more than 35 years, Re-Bath® of Pittsburgh has helped homeowners convert worn, outdated bathrooms into... Read More