Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose15604

what cabinet color goes w black stainless steel appliances

rose15604
6 years ago
I bought Samsung steel appliances what kitchen color and hardware go great together

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

What is your style ? It is impossible to give advice with no info BTW I think regular stainless is a much better choice and allows you to choose appliances for how they work not just because they match

• rose15604
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like modern and contemporary look, it’s a craftsman home
  • User
    6 years ago

None of that goes together. Contemporary and craftsman are at total odds, and black stainless doesn’t work period. It scratches and peels.

• rose15604
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Any suggestions, so what exactly goes with black stainless appliances
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The black stainless is very pretty. My husband and I saw a set up at a showroom and thought ooooh this is pretty. How long do you plan to live in your home? Are you just buying appliances? What does the rest of your kitchen look like? What is your kitchen plan, dream, idea? You have a craftsman home, are you going to live their a long time or this a kitchen for a flip? If the plan is to stay there a while, do what you love!

Search photos and see what you like and plan a space that you can enjoy. Do you like white, wood, stained, or painted. Do you need to keep certain aspects of your kitchen? Are you starting from a blank slate? What are the floors, walls, windows,? Do you have tile? Wood floors? What about backsplash? Does the home have elements of craftsman in the space? Have you searched modern craftsman style on houzz? I am not necessarily seeing black stainless but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Below are some ideas of what to do with your space... I will be looking forward to see what you like and what you want to do. If you get the chance post some photos but before you do that, spend some time thinking about what you love so that you can better narrow down how to make the Black stainless fit in your space to enjoy.

A Bountiful Beauty · More Info

Palo Alto Full Overlay Craftsman Kitchen · More Info

Modern Craftsman · More Info

San Diego Craftsman · More Info

The Cyprus - Salt Lake Parade of Homes 2016 · More Info

Craftsman Inspired Kitchen · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen and Bath Remodel · More Info

• quadesl
    6 years ago

Seems to look nice with the so trendy white cabinets.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

high contrast between appliances and cabinet color can give a very blocky look, which is why black appliances look good with darker colors, white looks good with white, regular stainless looks good with everything as it splits the difference.

so for black stainless, go darker wood or darker paint colors.

(if you search for black appliances in white cabinets at houzz... you wont find any for example... you have to search in google to find some. just not a great look.)

• User
    6 years ago

They don’t really look “good” with anything. They are acceptably unobtrusive with darker cherry stains, walnut stains, espresso stains, or any of the darker paint colors like the navys and deep greens that are currently becoming popular. And all of that requires amping up the lighting plan by quite a bit.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

i'll agree with acceptably unobtrusive rather than my 'good'.

• Shannon_WI
    6 years ago

My humble opinion is that black appliances, in particular the fridge, suck the light out of the room. Sorry, had to say it.

When colors and finishes are newly "in" from the appliance manufacturers, I wonder what will happen in 5 years or so if you've bought a suite of them, and one of them breaks and you need to replace it, will the manufacturer still be making that color? I remember a few years ago there was this coppery color available on appliances I think by Jenn Aire, which disappeared. I'd rather go classic of either stainless steel or white. Of course, it's not the worst thing in the world to have two different appliance finishes in one kitchen, it's just something for you to think about.

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    6 years ago
    of the idea posted, this was the only kitchen I thought would blend with black stainless.
  • K Laurence
    6 years ago

Black stainless is used in conjunction with wood toned, very clean lined, more contemporary kitchens in higher end homes where I live. As one designer ( from Beverly Hills ) stated, his clients have tired of stainless overload & granite & the trend ( at least for his clients ) is towards wood toned cabinets with clean lines, used in conjunction with either matching paneled appliances or black. So it goes ... guess everything goes out of style eventually ..

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Is this a true craftsman house from the early 1900's or is this a modern interpretation? That will skew my suggestions.

• quadesl
    6 years ago
  • PRO
    Deck The Halls
    6 years ago

Personally, I think these appliances look very nice with this white kitchen. https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-brings-black-stainless-steel-finish-to-kitchen-appliances/

• Denita
    6 years ago

Corie, it is hard to say with that pic in the link since it is a b/w pic rather than color. Makes me wonder what they are trying to hide by publishing it in b/w only. JMO

• sonni1
    6 years ago

You can certainly create a beautiful kitchen with the appliances you've chosen. If you have photos to post, that may help you to get advice here. Also, search the Houzz photos. You'll see lots of kitchen pictures, save the ones you like and then look through those to see which features the photos have in common. Craftsman isn't too far from modern - both incorporate clean lines, so it won't be too difficult to blend the styles.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

denita, that photo is in color. but some fancy filtering is happening, for sure.

• Denita
    6 years ago

lol, you are right ninigret. I missed the green plant. It just appeared so washed out to me....

• rose15604
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It’s a new construction home
  • rose15604
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    My selections
  • Shannon_WI
    6 years ago

I read several posts here about how gray kitchen cabinets have "jumped the shark". Something for you to think about since you are still in the choosing stage.

Love your counter choice. I am sorry, I don't think the black stainless appliances will work with what you are picturing. Just MHO.

• User
    6 years ago

Keep the counters. Throw everything else off of the island. Including the appliances. If you want stained cabinets, get a standard wood stain that looks like natural wood. Not overly processed perm hair. Natural is best. If you want painted, choose white, or a real color. None of those grays.

• pink_peony
    6 years ago

• Boxerpal
    6 years ago

ooohhhhhh great photos PinkPeony i am sure the OP will love those.

• rose15604
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I’m really liking this color cabinet, snowbank/black gaze/ birch or oak
  • pink_peony
    6 years ago

I like that cabinet color too, just like I loved white washed Oak in 1990. By mid 90's when the white wash had turned a peachy color from light mellowing the wood under it that fad was long outdated. That would be my biggest concern with that color cabinet. It is nice looking but how long will it last?

• Boxerpal
    6 years ago

We were at a cocktail party this weekend and the host had cabinets with a similar grey black stain. Gorgeous! I like them. I do think it is a trend that won't last but even with the 90s white washed oak or the 80s pickled pale oak cabinets, they can be stripped and re-stained. Get them with the black stainless and enjoy your space. It is your home!

• Holly Dietrich
    6 years ago
    white
  • friedajune
    6 years ago

It's the "black glaze" part that I'd eliminate. Glazing like that has a tendency to make the cabinet just look shabby and old. There's enough going on with the gray stain on the wood, no need for glaze too.

You also better make sure you will be comfortable with the variegations in the wood which will come to the surface with that wash. See on the sample pic you posted of the Snowbank door how the vertical, horizontal, and center panel pieces look so different from each other? Make sure you see it IRL and imagine that all over your kitchen. Some people--maybe you--might say "how charming, I love that". Others might not. Which one are you?

• Rachel Nye
    5 years ago
    Rose what did you end up with? And what were the countertop samples? Thanks!
  • Samuel Go lightly
    15 days ago

Oh no. 😥 Hope it worked out. I just bought an oven and induction cooktop. They’re black! Should I not do cream cabinets now? It’s going to be an under counter one, with an island opposite. Maybe nobody will see it, or the reflection from the island will take the edge off the “sucking” problem. I could do accessible beige, or one of those taupe colors instead. Hhhmn.