Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_boehm

KitchenAid double oven won't maintain it's temperature.

Mike Boehm
6 years ago

Howdy,

We have a KitchenAid double oven that won't maintain temperature when it's on. Here's the scenario.

I turn on the oven and set it to 350. The temperature readout will start with "Lo" and then eventually shows the temperature numbers as it heats up to 350. After it preheats I put in what I'm cooking. 25 minutes later, I press Cancel on the Oven and then immediately turn it right back on to 350. What *should* happen is the temperature readout should say 350, or something very close to it and then go right back up to 350. Instead, what happens is the readout will show a number far lower. I did it just now and after 25 minutes the readout was only showing 300 degrees.

The oven was purchased from Sears and we got the extended warranty which is still good until this fall. We've already had it looked at twice. I think they replaced a computer board the first time and a sensor (and maybe another board) the second time. It obviously hasn't helped.

So, my question is, is what my oven is doing considered normal? Does anyone else have a similar problem with an oven? It certainly doesn't seem normal and it does seem like things take longer to cook than they should. If the oven is really cooking at 50 degrees lower than it says, that would explain why.

I'm going to place another service call on it and maybe the 3rd time is the charm

Here's a video I took tonight to show the problem.
https://youtu.be/5dW7oWBSFu0

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (16)

• Mike Boehm
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't know if they've actually tested anything while they've been there as it's usually during the day when my wife is home. We do have an Over Thermometer that does indeed show the temperature drops.

In the video, the over had been preheated for at least 5-10 minutes and then the food was put in 23 minutes before the video was taken so it had plenty of times to heat up.

• robertgoulet
    5 years ago

found this thread as I am doing research, considering a kitchenaid double wall oven myself.

I am sure you dont want to spend any money to address this issue....(and hopefully by now it has been addressed?) but it occurred to me....I just received a bluetooth meat thermometer as a christmas gift. It connects to an app on your smartphone and records both the ambient (oven) and meat tmeperatures throughout the bake. Could be handy for you as it records all of the "bakes" to the cloud, so you can pull up that test you did yesterday or the roast you did last night, and show that the temp dropped and spiked every X minutes. If its not dropping and then spiking, and its consistently X% below what its supposed to be then maybe there is just a setting to calibrate the oven thermostat?

• Mike Boehm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We had our oven serviced over and over and over. They replaced a couple different boards and other things. They never resolved the issue. We'll still set it for 350, put some food in, then check it 15 minutes later and it's down to 310-320. It's now out of our extended warranty coverage so there's nothing else we can do. I will never buy a large kitchenaid appliance again.

• mishmosh
    5 years ago

I think your going about your testing wrong. Opening the oven door and introducing food will change the temp. Also, ovens normally will let temps sag before another heat cycle gets activated. How much depends on the oven. I would take dadoes advice and get a separate digital cooking thermometer and place it in the center of the oven clipped to the rack. Run experiments using that.

• Mike Boehm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have an oven thermometer. And yeah, opening the door cools it down. But 25 minutes later, it should be back up to the proper temperature. It just sits 30-40 degrees below where it's set forever unless I turn the oven off and back on to force it to "pre"heat again. Cooking for a certain at 350 ends up with different results when you're really cooking at 310 because the oven can't figure out how to heat back up.

• fraker
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Edited to add: After viewing your video I notice that your oven is a newer model than mine, but the controls and panel are generally the same. Hopefully my advice below will still be of some value.

I have a Kitchenaid double oven which came with a home I recently bought. It is junk. Here’s what I’ve found: 350* seems to be the temperature at which I have the most problems. I’ve found that if I consistently set the oven to ten degrees above my desired cooking temperature I can reasonably maintain the proper temperature. It’s as if the standard temperature settings, 350, 400, 425 etc are worn out (which I freely agree really makes no sense). If I set the oven to 360* it will reach 350 and hold that temperature for about an hour. After an hour I cancel and restart the oven at 360 again to maintain 350 for another hour. At this point some may be thinking “her oven is off by 10 degrees, what’s the big deal?” However, if I set the oven to 350, it will never, ever get above 300. I have similar problems with other standard temperature settings, but 350 has the widest temperature delta.

So my advice, short of replacing it, (which I explored only to discover the oven is a somewhat non standard size and will require reworking my built in cabinet,) is to always use an oven thermometer and set the oven ten degrees above your desired temperature. Hope this helps.

• mishmosh
    5 years ago

fraker: do both ovens behave like that? If just one, I'd try replacing the temperature sensor, a common failure.

• fraker
    5 years ago

Mishmosh, yes, both ovens are wacky. I will investigate the costs of replacing the temperature sensors. Thanks for the suggestion.

• mishmosh
    5 years ago

It is a DIY procedure for most ovens. Part should be easy to come by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6PqPFVC8PI

• Daniel St. James
    2 years ago

We have a double oven with same issues. instead of ”Cancelling” the oven setting, we just retype the oven temp and hit Start again to get the oven to bring the temp back up. i will try your idea for setting 10deg above needed temp and see if it holds the temp any better.

thank you

• RH Reid
    4 months ago

Ditto here. No amount of recalibration helps. Have looked into replacing. Cost prohibitive. Fridge is no better, dishwasher racks gave broken down and drop. Have already had to replace microwave. 10 years single user, treat appliances well
    Disappointing to say the least but

• Tracy Baroni Allmon
    17 days ago

This has been a problem with my kitchen aid double wall oven for 10 years. It hits the set temperature (say 350), and 5 minutes later when you put the item into the oven, it is at 320. Then it decreases again because of the mass in the oven. When I remind it to increase to 350 (reset it), sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. Such a disappointment. Boards, sensors, fuses, everything has been checked and replaced at least once. It has always been both ovens. Finally have had enough and am replacing it.

• boba1
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

My double oven induction range arrived in my kitchen May, 2017. It took a while of using my ovens before I realized the quirkiness of the ovens that I'd never experienced with any oven. Bottom line is it takes quiite a while for the "thermostat" to respond before the elements turn on to begin temperature recovering to set temp. And during that lag, the temperature continues to decline. I checked iwth another appliance enthusiast who lives in Minn who has a GE range and he didn't experience anythig like this. I've learned to turn the oven off and turn back on so it beings to remover to the temperature I"m needing. I won't have another WP cooking product. Another issue with my particular range is heat from the oven that s being used does manage to seep into the oven not being used. Such that the oven not being used can reach 105F not being used. Checked with my pal in Minn. and he said the oven not being used on his double oven GE range stays complete cool, room temperature.

• RH Reid
    17 days ago

I ended up having to buy new ovens. The salesman told me that the temps reached when using self clean option cause the malfunction and both the heating element and the thermostat are affected
    Now have a GE with Priceline racked and steam clean option.
    Like it so far and a reasonable price

• cruzwulf
    16 days ago

I purchased my KitchenAid 30-Inch 5-Burner Gas Slide-In Convection Range
    Model: KSGG700EBS. It was never able to maintain heat while baking for any length of time. I could get it to reach temperature but it wouldn’t maintain the heat during a a bake cycle. The cook top has always worked perfectly. Every part was replaced, harnesses, board, igniters, spark modules and regulator. They have replaced my oven twice and I am now waiting on replacement #3. I’m very disappointed in KitchenAid for making such a defective produce. I wish I had purchased a different brand, but I’m unfortunately committed. I’m hoping that three times is a charm. I just want to bake.