At what point do you decide to donate clothes that are too small?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

I’m doing my twice a year swap of summer for winter clothes (off season clothes go in the now disused closet of a kid’s room). Moving the clothes means I take a second look at what I can actually still wear.

I don’t have anything really small; those I got rid of long ago.

When I lost 25 pounds 7 years ago, I was glad I hadn’t gotten rid of ALL the smaller things, having kept my favorites or colors I needed to go with certain tops.

But my weight has been inching up the last 2 years. I went off a medication about then which seems to be why it’s going back up again. I have regained 15 of the original 25 I lost.

My smallest (that I last wore ~ 2 years ago) is 2 sizes smaller than I am wearing now. None of these things are out of style (I myself am not “in style”); they are things like jeans and practical every day pants.

In a way I feel like donating those means I’m giving up on losing weight. But that’s a slippery slope. I thought of writing a note on the calendar that if size “x” doesn’t fit me in a year’s time, it has to go.

How do you handle it?

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5 (NY)

It goes out to charity if I wouldn't wear it anymore, no matter what size.

I have clothes I haven't worn in 40 years just for sentimental reasons and clothes I can't yet bear to get rid of, in a big plastic box. I get rid of things in my closet I haven't worn in 2 years, either put away or give away.

Bottom line regarding size....would I wear them again or not.

Save    
linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)

Thank you. My question is not, "WOULD I wear them", if I wouldn't, it's gone.

But do you hold on to things you like and used to wear, when you were a little smaller?Things you would be HAPPY to wear again, but they are one or two sizes too small now.

Do you hold onto them in the hopes you will lose the weight?

Save    
newgardenelf

Yes, I do! Due to a medical issue, my weight fluctuates 50 pounds. I have clothes size 10-16. I keep 3-5 outfits in all those 4 sizes. I have what fits in my closet, 1 "too small" bin, and 1 "too large" bin. I've listened to the advice to donate what doesn't fit and used to do that, I don't anymore. I find it demoralizing as I gain weight to have to go shopping just to have clothes and it's equally frustrating to lose weight, buy something new only to have it not fit a few months later.

I've also changed the way I shop. I buy sleeveless tops, sweaters, wrap dresses that work over a variety of sizes and fewer fitted pieces.

Save     Thanked by linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
Sunnysmom

YES!!! Storage space is not an issue for me. I really don't like to shop and I really like having stuff I can wear now that I am starting to have success at weight loss.

For awhile I kept the bins out of sight, they were just depressing. However now that I am making progress I have them lined up in my closet and they are motivating.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides Should You Stay or Should You Go for a Remodel? 10 Points to Ponder
Consider these renovation realities to help you decide whether to budget for temporary housing
Full Story
Storage How to Set Up Your Small Closet to Get More Storage
Get ideas for arranging your clothes closet with 8 combinations of shelves, hooks, rods and drawers
Full Story
Organizing 7 Small Tasks for January Decluttering and Organizing
Get moving on your New Year’s resolutions by cleaning up these often neglected areas at home
Full Story
We are a small company, LLC located in the city of ohio in search of business contracts, commercial among others... Read More
At Schlabach Woodworks, we create authentic hardwood flooring, crafted from reclaimed wood and sustainably... Read More