A lot can be said about a good walk...

dena_eft

Walking, along with power walking is a good habit to take up. Good for the whole body. don't you think so? :) Dena

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bleusblue2

Yes -- instead of coming straight home I did 20 minutes roundabout. It's amazing though how far you can go at a brisk pace in twenty minutes. New studies show that avoiding heart disease calls for much more than 20 minutes a day -- still I don't denigrate any good effort.

Save    
dena_eft

Well, one can start out doing a short walk, and then gradually extend it.

Save    
tete_a_tete

I agree with you dena. It excerises just about everything but with little strain. And as we get fitter, our pace and everything can increase. Little by little and later, lot by lot. Plus it's free. And you see lots of nice things.

I am meant to be out there right at this minute but just wanted to check gardenweb and have some coffee. Off now though : )

Save    
sherwoodva

Agree. This past spring, I got a fitbit. Started started walking in the neighborhood, which is quite hilly. When the weather got hot, I went to the mall and walked. Did four miles one day, but my hips hurt afterwards, so I limit myself to three miles. I walk 4 to 5 days/week. Lost ten pounds. Don't want to lose any more, but I am still walking. Ten feet in elevation counts (on the fitbit) as a flight of stairs. I average 19 flights of stairs. The tricky part is keeping my back straight when going up.

Save    
steiconi

For the last year, my blood tests showed I had prediabetes. My husband and I started walking in mid January--about a mile a day--and blood tests in early March said I'd edged blood sugars down to just below prediabetes--in just about 7 weeks.

That was so encouraging! We're still walking, and I hope to lower blood sugars even more!

Save    
donnar57

Another way to lower your blood sugar is to lose between 5% and 7% of your body weight. IOW, if you weigh 170 lbs., lose 8.5 to 12 lbs. Diabetes is real (I'm dealing with T2D right now). When I was diagnosed 6 months ago, I went to a healthier way of eating, and gradually worked in some exercise -- mostly walking and a TV program called "Classical Stretch" (PBS). I've lost 30 lbs (18% of my body weight), and my blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels all dropped back into the normal levels. Wish I'd done that earlier, before my pancreas revolted and now I'm saddled with the D label!

Donna

Save    
dena_eft

Yes, diet and walking regularly can alter your health issues. :) Dena

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Beautiful Things You Can Feel Good About Buying
Upcycled, ecofriendly or just made responsibly, these home accessories and furniture pieces will keep your conscience clear
Full Story
Home Tech What Chipotle and Radiohead Can Teach Us About Sound Quality at Home
Contemporary designs filled with glass and concrete can be hostile environments for great sound quality. Here's how to fix that
Full Story
Architecture 4 Things a Hurricane Teaches You About Good Design
When the power goes out, a home's design can be as important as packaged food and a hand-crank radio. See how from a firsthand account
Full Story
We at Frasure Home Improvements feel like everyone deserves our best. We constantly push for excellence. We truly... Read More