Anyone ever heard of montly periods starting up 16 mos. after Meno?

Lynn Nevins

I thought my 'last period' would go down in history as being in April of 2015. However last month, 16 months after my 'last period', I got a full on period with my usual cramps on the first 1.5 days and then flow for about 5 days. Now, about a month later, it seems I am getting another 'normal period', complete with mild cramps. I am now on Day 2.

I've heard of 'spotting' after menopause (which can sometimes be nothing and sometimes mean 'something') but has anyone ever heard of getting actual 'periods' that behave and endure just like one of your typical periods from the past, and where at least for the past two months, even the spacing between them is like a typical period? I now have to wonder if my periods are 'resuming', and how long this might last, and if this means I may go through a whole 'nother hormonal craze when they decide to stop again?

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amicus

I had 2 periods long after I stopped having any cycles. Mine were not 2 consecutive though, as the first was about 15 months after my last period and the other was 3 months after that one.

I did go check it out with my doctor, but I secretly wasn't too worried, as I was certain they were 'periods' as opposed to bleeding from some unknown cause. In both cases, about 2 weeks before the bleeding began, I got the same tell tale cervical mucus and the facial breakout that I always got when I was ovulating. So I wasn't shocked when those periods came.

My doctor just felt those 'rogue' periods resulted from my ovaries deciding to do an encore presentation with 2 straggler eggs that had lingered behind. She did a Pap and said everything looked good, so I was just told to come back if I got any spotting, or if I got any more periods after another 6 months. Neither happened, and it's been 3 years, so I'm definitely done. By the way, my cycles ended at age 57, and the 2 extra periods happened at just before I turned 58! So if you're in your late 40's or early 50's, it probably happens more frequently.

Save    
Lynn Nevins

Thanks. I'm 53 btw...

Save    
Marisa Papale

I'm so happy I stumbled on this topic after googling for awhile!! I'm 54 stopped having periods for 10 months and then 2months ago my breasts were so tender and full that it felt like I was nursing. Several days later I had a period heavy and all. Same thing the following month and I'm ready to start on the 3rd month. Because I have a history of fibroids my doctor had me go for an ultrasound. Only my uterine grew and became thicker. I go for a routine biopsy next week. I also feel like this is acting like a normal period. Headaches come right after. I also feel cramps and ovulation like i had last year. I'm happy to hear others feel like they also are having a normal period.

Save    
screeners2

So fun to come back on and chime in. Finally, my period stopped in September 2018 - that is the 12 months passed and I was finally in the clear. I was 57 years old. On 8/4, after a couple of weeks of intense nipple tenderness, a slight pain in that area of my right ovary and some major attitude, guess what arrived? It is absolutely following the same track of my little friend over 40 years. Same # of days and flow. I know the docs will want to be certain that all is well. We did a uterine biopsy in 2016 because docs thought period was irregular. Nothing much to see there but a benign polyp. Not the cause. So, here I am on the cusp of turning 58.8 years of age with, what I believe, is a 'rogue ovulation' as Harvard has named it. Google that. One last hurrah. I'm hoping that my symptoms this month point to just that, a period. A medical marvel! I really don't want that biopsy again....

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Bulletproof Decorating: Upholstery That Stands Up to Anything
Kids and pets are no match for fabrics as durable as these, which meet higher style standards than ever
Full Story
Fall Gardening Make This Fall’s Garden the Best Ever
Learn the most important tip for preventing buyer’s remorse, plus get more valuable buying and planting advice
Full Story
Pools How to Make a Pond
You can make an outdoor fish paradise of your own, for less than you might think. But you'll need this expert design wisdom
Full Story
We are a top ranked remodeling company in North Columbus and Delaware, OH. We specialize in basements, bathrooms,... Read More
Our unparalleled customer service and expert craftsmanship cannot be beaten. Contact us today to schedule a free... Read More