Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meganewing7

Prints left on luxury vinyl plank floors!!!!

meganewing7
7 years ago

We installed beautiful lvp floors that I love! I knew that they would show dirt and dust more than carpet and I was prepared for that. However, whenever I clean them and they look perfect all it takes is one dog to take one step and they leave a print. It's not dirt or mud or anything it's just a smudge on the floor wherever they walk. So in no time after I clean the floors it is covered in smudges alllllll over it. I'm very upset because my floor will realistically never look pretty with three dogs running around. Is there anyone else who has had this problem? The floors are low gloss and have no wax. Any ideas on how to combat this? Thanks! First picture is flooring after I've swept and ran the swiffer over it. Second is after a dog walked around

Comments (488)

• texasflavorlady
    last year

A floor expert has been here to see the floor and agrees there is something wrong with it . You can rub out the marks and then you see a shiny spot where the floor was rubbed. You can mop with water and the shiny spot will go away until you rub it again. Leaves brown residue on paper towels. Samples of the floor are being sent to a lab.

• ksmerritt
    last year

What brand of flooring do you have?

• Betty Higdon
    last year

I have mannington and my floors also leave a brown stain on towels. rep said its dirt

• ksmerritt
    last year

That doesn’t sound right especially if you've just cleaned them.

• texasflavorlady
    last year

I have Trucor flooring. My Shaw flooring never did this. Will let you know what lab comes back with.

• Courtney Collien
    last year

I have Shaw LVP as well. We installed in 2020 and I thought it was dirty looking immediately from move in. Blamed it on construction dust. I have used vinegar water, Rejuvenation, Bona, all sorts of microfiber mops, and a mr clean mop. Spent hundreds of dollars on cleaning products. We got a dog a year ago. Immediate scratches. Just from her walking. It always looks cloudy, always has a residue, and always printed immediately after cleaning (without anyone walking on it). I attached some pictures of what it looks like right after I cleaned. Most of the time I can’t even get out water spots! (We don’t have hard water)Have not gotten anywhere with Shaw, they said I need to make a claim with our contractor. Our contractor will not call me back. My husband said let’s just ride this out until it’s time to replace the flooring, but we spent 7000 and that is crazy! Has anyone found any other tricks? Has anyone tried having a professional floor cleaning service come in?

• Denise Campbell
    last year

I too have Shaw...also new construction. A rep came out and told me to use IFT cleaner by Basic cleaning. I had the all the same experiences you did. Used the cleaner...equal parts with water, once. It is Very strong. I usually clean with water and isopropyl alcohol. I occasionally use the IFT Very diluted. Also 1 mop to clean and 1 mop to dry. Spent 6k on my floors almost 3 years ago. They look better...not great, but better.

• Courtney Collien
    last year

Thank you for the advice… did the rep happen to say they have been having complaints?

• Denise Campbell
    last year

No. He blamed it on new construction build up!! I had been in the house almost 2 years when he came. I think LVP floors are overrated.

• Courtney Collien
    last year

Same! I want to rip them out!

• Stephanie Kendrick
    last year
    last modified: last year

I hate ours so much. I wish I would have taken the sample and put it to use. Walked on them, spilled water, etc. You cant even take a paper towel or cloth to clean up spills without it showing a smear mark. Anyways, does anyone have this weird thing where when youre mopping it, it shows marks and scratches but they dissapear when dried? Its like the water just glides over the floor but doesnt actually clean the surface. Its hard to explain. I took a photo. You can kind of see the marks and dog scratches. This is right after going over it once with a wet mop before going over it again and then drying it.

• Denise Campbell
    last year

Yes I have that. It seems to go away if I dry them with a separate mop. Weird.

• G'Anne JTX
    last year

You can follow this thread back five years and will find the same complaints you're having now. As far as I know none of the companies who manufacture LVP, nor any of the companies that sell it, have taken any responsibility for the disaster. Mine cost $9000 four years ago. I am still saving money month by month to get them replaced with engineered wood. I HATE what I have. They always look filthy.

• teri kolder
    last year

Dark wood is a challenge to keep clean dog socks? I have LVP in my entire house Lighter colored in most of the house and dark(like yours) in the primary bedrokma nd bathroom i put a rug at the enterence wipe some of the dust off so far so good

I love my LVP the Waddington Oak is great it doesnt show any dirt is super durable and looks great bummer for all these people on here that are having issues

• Courtney Collien
    last year

I too have the issue with the water showing things when wet and appearing different when dry. I just said the other day it seems like nothing is penetrating through to clean it. Sometimes the water beads in areas of my floor, like it is repelling it. Even water spots! They do not clean up! Hate them. And I hate even more that people spend so much money and the manufacturer does not care.

• Sandy
    last year

I have the exact same thing. Every drool spot from our dog shows up when floors are wet. Maybe eventually they will all meet up! so disappointed in these floors!

• Stephanie Kendrick
    last year

@Sandy okay thats what I thought it was! doggy drool spots. It makes sense, as these spots arent where the dogs dont go/lay. Its just so weird how it does that.

• Stephanie Kendrick
    last year

@Courtney Collien Yes, thats exactly what mine do. Its so annoying. When we went looking at floors, every sales person was saying how great they were. Ugh. I wasnt a fan of our old laminate, but I really wish we would have gotten laminate again.

• texasflavorlady
    last year

My lab results came back and my Shaw Easy Street was twice the quality of the Trucor Spiced Acacia put in by insurance company to replace the original Shaw Easy Street. This is a contract violation of the insurance company to replace like with like kind so will be addressing this issue and hopefully getting my old floor back. The best thing I have found to make the Trucor Spiced Acacia look better is a pH neutral floor cleaner used without water with dry microfiber mop. It was used by the flooring expert and I need to find a source of it. My Trucor floor will look shiny if rub it hard with dry paper towel. The dry paper towel also removes the "scratches" from dogs. Unfortunately, unless have time and muscle to do entire floor like this, will have shiny spots on a dull floor.

• HU-511959504
    last year

I just find it so weird that myaglupanny likes to write snarky comments on this thread. Why are you even reading this when you don’t have a VLP floor? Nothing else to do?

• ksmerritt
    last year

I agree that its super weird. Sounds like a troll but with no purpose!

• HU-824394447
    last year

Courtney, I could have written your post. Our Shaw floors were just recently finished after we had a major leak from our fridge. We had engineered hardwood, but every decorator I spoke with raved about LVP. I HATE IT!!! It's like there is some weird film on it. It constantly has smudge marks and scratches from the dog. It's horrible stuff. It almost looks like we have the exact same floor.

• Courtney Collien
    last year

Terrible! I’m sure you paid a lot for this floor as well. I recently looked at the better business bureau and there are multiple claims on the Shaw flooring. Have you had any success with a cleaner or talking to the company?

• jenwinston73
    last year

Has anyone had issues with Coretec? They were purchased by Shaw…but I don’t know if it’s the same product or not. We have Coretec Calypso Oak and love it. It’s lighter which I think also makes a huge difference.

• Denise Campbell
    last year

I found a pretty decent floor cleaner. MORE luxury vinyl floor cleaner. Hope this helps someone.

• Courtney Collien
    last year

I read some reviews on the MORE cleaner and of course they all look good. Denise did it help pull up left over residue and water spots? What kind of mop did you use?

• Denise Campbell
    last year

I use 2 microfiber mops. One to clean, on to dry.. Drying is a must.

• Courtney Collien
    last year

Great, worth a try!

• Laura DeFrancesco
    last year

I have the EXACT same issue. Our dog prints are everywhere even with dry paws. The dog drool marks are also awful. We had to pull up a mannington LVP due to a manufacturer defect and went with Coretec. The mannington one did not do this but I’m so disappointed in the core tec for this reason alone. No scratches, super quiet and feels nice but the marks are awful, it’s like someone is running around with powder on their feet!

• HU-717396793
    last year

Its been abt 2 yrs with my coretec. Its gotten a bit better. Initially it took many washings to remove film. Now I wash it once a week and abt every 6 weeks I put 2 coats of Quickshine. It helps with scratches and dog prints. I also swifer twice a week.

• ksmerritt
    last year

Do you have to remove the old application before applying new? Can you send pics?

• HU-717396793
    last year

I don't remove previous application of Quickshine. I just finished washing it. I put 2 coats of Quickshine abt 2 wks ago.

• ksmerritt
    last year

You’re floor looks great! thanks for the tip. As it starts to wear off does it become dull or show traffic wear? ive been thinking about applying something like this to shine up our Coretec floors

• HU-717396793
    last year

Yes, after awhile youll see more scuffs. 2-3 coats depending on traffic is good for abt 8 wks

• Courtney Collien
    last year

I had my Shaw floors professionally cleaned two weeks ago. They used a hot water extraction method aimed to deep clean LVP. I would say they are 80% better. I’m planning on using Norwex to mop in between and do this every 6 months.

• mwhitcomb
    last year

Sadly, I don’t think anything can fix these damn prints. I can clean it perfectly but the minute a paw or bare foot touches it they show up again. It’s only clean until the next person or dog steps on it. Sucks. This is a $10k mistake for me unfortunately. Next time a lighter color or wood for me.

• Denise Campbell
    last year

Just wondering, has anyone tried Swiffer ?

• HU-511959504
    last year

Yes. I used to wet the Swifter pads but that didnt work too well. What works best for me is a square mop that I wet in hot water. i rinse the dirt out a few times during one wash of my main floor

• blockermt
    last year

Well I guess there is something to finally get some answers and know that we are not crazy. Our Mannington LVP is every thing that has been said above. It looks like this has been going on for years - is there nothing that can be done with these companies selling faulty products. We are just starting with our first claim, we have got $10,000 in new flooring that is difficult to keep clean, sounds like lots of hard labor to keep clean, and no recourse. So very upsetting. I posted on another thread the same message.

• Gil Carolino
    last year

MY SOLUTION! I just installed tabacco road coreluxe and had the same problem for a months. i decided to start research and this seems to be a big problem. We used to use Bona mop and cleaner. The mop head never looked dirty after we cleaned the floor and thought it was odd and we always would see our footprints just after we cleaned it. My wife was so aggrivated that she wanted to rip them out. One day after cleaning the floor she spilled a little water in the kitchen and wiped it up with a peper towel. The paper towel came up filthy. We decided to try another solution so we went with the swiffer wet jet with disposable mop heads. We cleand the floor once and the mop head was filthy so we decided that we would keep cleaning it and keep changing mop heads until we didnt see any dirt on them. It took about 3 runs. Sure enough after the floor dried we started walking on them NO MORE footprints. Sorry to tell you but the smudged footprints are just dirty floors. let me know if this helps?

• Denise Campbell
    11 months ago

Thanks Gil. You are right!! The swifter pads were dirty even after three years of cleaning on my hands and knees. Used swifter days ago, and no footprints. Finally, something that works. Thank you.

• Michele Zeller
    9 months ago

For those that had luck with swiffer, did you use the swiffer solution as well?

• Denise Campbell
    9 months ago

Yes they make a solution for vinyl floors. Works great.

• texasflavorlady
    4 months ago

Turned out the contractor installed a .12 mil Trucor flooring instead of a .2 mil Trucor vinyl flooring and refunded my money. Contractor was caught by the lab report results. I had another contractor put in Karndean luxury vinyl flooring .3 mil and no dog scratches, no smudges, I rarely mop it and it stays looking like a real wood floor that was professionally cleaned. I understand completely what some of you are going through and it is not your cleaning technique, it is your flooring. They try to tell you it is you but it is not. I am sorry for all of you that have had to experience bad flooring.

• HU-169837973
    3 months ago

Your using try je wronb product to ckean it ! Kust a few drops of dish soap to a bucket of water .

• Dulci Rao
    last month

We have both engineered wood and LVP in two different areas. Both are dark floors. The engineered wood shows footprint and hair and anything and everything. Its a little low gloss. The LVP has been fine but its in a bedroom ..also dark but no other problems. I think dark floors and glossy are the main problem with everything showing up on them.

• Karen R.
    last month

I wish I would have found this thread before spending $7500 on a New Coretec LVP floor. I feel like I want to cry. I'm 62 with breathing issues and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was looking to replace 55 yr old floors with something smooth, warm and easy to clean. I did tons of research but never heard about all these issues mentioned here. The installers left at 7pm last night and asked me to sign off on it. After being trapped in our office with 2 dogs for nine hours I was exhausted - but it looked ok so I signed. This morning in the light of daylight I could see deep scratches from appliances; big foggy areas that looked like a film with shoe prints in it, areas that appear stained, leveler all over my front door and landing and every dog print is leaving a paw mark. The floor feels like it has chalk on it. I thought - ok maybe its the grit left behind from the grinding of the leveler. I called the store to make them aware and they advised warm water and a soft cloth. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday. So that is what we will be doing. I have a follow up on Monday to pick up their cleaning product if that doesn't work. That is a LOT of area for me with COPD/CFS to be on my knees washing and buffing!! That's when I went looking for answers and found this thread. My heart sank. I'm old and just wanted one nice floor in my life that was easy to care for. I feel like I have been taken.

• Nelda Pollack
    last month

I agree with others one drop of Dawn dish soap in warm water i use a microfiber mop quick and easy but i do it every day

• HU-688429818
    20 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

We had Johnson Hardwood"s Luxury Plank Vinyl flooring, Public House- whiskey sour installed by the builder after we looked at the product at a flooring center recommended by Johnson. We have lived in the house for exactly 2 years, and for the first year the flooring cleaned up nicely. In the beginning, I had contacted the "technical rep" for Johnson, and he recommended Rejuvenate LVF cleaner as it is low Ph. That is the only product I have used on the floor since we moved in. We loved the floor so much that we paid $7000 to have it installed in our lanai last year.

In the past several months, the floor in the main house is blotchy or spotty throughout, and it looks like certain areas have a film. We clean up water and spots immediately, but the spots continue to show when the floor is wet or dry. So far the lanai doesn't have the same problem, but it's only a year old now. I did report these issues to the technical rep at Johnson, and he wants we to contact the maker of Rejuvenate as that product is likely the cause of the spotting all over the floor. He also wants me to find out who the contractor bought the flooring from when the house was built, and I am to provide the name and contact info for the flooring contractor who installed the floor in the lanai last year. I have tried to take photos with my iphone, but only a few of the spots will show up. I clean this floor at least twice weekly with the Rejuvenate and I vacuum it daily as everything shows up on the dark floor. I know I am going to get the run around from the Johnson rep. I am so upset that we paid top dollar for what we thought was a quality flooring only to have it look like cheap vinyl flooring. I wish we had never heard of Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring.

• HU-688429818
    18 days ago

I just wanted to add that in my conversation with the technical rep from Johnson Hardwood Flooring, he said that I must not use any cleaning solution on the floor that is not low PH. The only cleaner that I have used is the one that he suggested which is low PH Rejuvenate. It has done absolutely nothing to remove spots or what I call blotches on the floor.

He did say that I could use mineral spirits or de natured alcohol on the floor stains, but the smell would be quite overwhelming even for the unscented mineral spirits. Has anyone tried these solvents on their floor? I may try to buy a respirator face mask and gloves and try it on the really bad spot in a small area.