Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norar_il

What is the animal on this rocker?

norar_il
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I recently inherited this rocking chair from a dear friend. She had already given me the mate, also a rocker but it has a couple of broken rungs on the back, so there was a cushion on it. The mate also has a cane bottom which this one did originally. The critter on the back and the significance of it is bugging me.

At first I thought dog, but that seems an off thing for a chair decoration. Then I thought wolf which seems awfully masculine for a rocking chair. Now I'm leaning toward a lion -- a very stylized lion. It looks like a sort of beard under the chin and the leaf could double for a mane. A mean looking thing whatever it is. What do you think? And why?

I'd also be interested in the age if anyone has a guess.

Here is the caned seat of the mate.

I think the cane picture looks sort of oaky, but this one, not so much. The back does not either. Ideas about the kind of wood?

Comments (16)

• chibimimi
    7 years ago

It looks like a lion to me. Stylized and probably not drawn from nature!

The wood in the seat photo is definitely oak or one of its relatives. It's harder to tell in the second seat shot and the back, but I suspect that's because of the lighting. Woods wouldn't usually be mixed in a piece like this, unless it was meant to be painted or have a very dark stain, which I don't think is the case here.

norar_il thanked chibimimi
  • lindac92
    7 years ago

I beg to differ....woods would be mixed in a chair like this because, for one example, oak doesn't work so well for turnings as other woods do.
    The animal is a "whatever".... a mythical critter....likely a cross between a lion and a foo dog.
    Nice chairs, have the broken rung fixed and put caning in the seat of the one that doesn't have it....it's really easy to do.

norar_il thanked lindac92
  • norar_il
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was thinking elm for the wood. You all don't think so?

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

Mixed woods, the back turnings are maple (typical) there seems to be some ash/oak grain on the front seat member (looking at end-grain is necessary). The steam-pressed back is probably soft maple.

Casey

norar_il thanked Sombreuil
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

Wood in the first chair could be maple or ash.

The seat of the second chair (with caned bottom) might be oak.

norar_il thanked jemdandy
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

If you aren't the one who posted your chairs on this site asking for info, you might find this interesting: Several identical or nearly identical chairs....
    Snarling dogs chair...

norar_il thanked Olychick
  • colleenoz
    7 years ago

I still think it's a lion and not a dog as the person in Olychick's link seems to think. It has a little beardy tuft under the chin, which is more lion-ish than dog-ish IMO.

norar_il thanked colleenoz
  • lindac92
    7 years ago

Colleen....check out "foo dogs".

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

Sorry to disagree with you, Linda. I know about "foo dogs" (which are actually a Chinese representation of _lions_) but a) this carving doesn't have any of the Chinese style of carving that westerners call a "foo dog" and b) none of the other carving on the chair looks remotely Asian, so why would there be this aberrant animal?

norar_il thanked colleenoz
  • sam_md
    7 years ago

HERE is a good article on "Press-back" chairs. They were made popular by the Sears & Larkin mailorder catalogues. When we see multiple chairs with the exact same image clearly it is "Press-back", not hand carved.

norar_il thanked sam_md
  • norar_il
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, oylchick! That was not me who posted on the other forum and I was very glad to see it. So there are quite a few chairs with the dog/wolf/lion/foo dog on them. I wish I could go with the guy who says they're carved and rare, but I don't think I can. They must have been quite popular.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

I mentioned a foo dog not because I thought it was an image of one on the chair but because there are many instances of strange hybred animals depicted on the decorative arts.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Stylized wolf would be my guess

norar_il thanked kittymoonbeam
  • sam_md
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Google images for Lion Rampant, you will see many versions. Some with mane, some without, some with tongue, some without, some with crown, some without. What reason do we have to believe this is not a lion rampant?

BTW, I see a tongue in the chair image.

norar_il thanked sam_md
  • HU-667054337
    3 months ago

I have one from 18 century at first they called wolves back then today's day people call them dogs bitts very rare price only found I have one.Thus true story