Bread! Bread! Bread! Oprah's commercial...

Beverly Hills

I joined Weight Watchers 3 years ago, lost a good amount of weight, then it slo-o-o-owed down. A lot. Now I have to put in my 2 cents re Oprah:

1. No, you can NOT "Eat whatever you want". You have points and you count them, exceed the points, no weight loss.

2. "Bread, bread BREAD!!" Calm, down, Honey, we do not scarf bread all day. You can have "some" bread.

3. "It's not about the scale, it's about YOU". Huh? This is still a weight loss program, so yes, it IS about the scale. If I want pop psych, I will find a guru.

4. Puhleeze, those daily inspirational messages are getting kinda annoying: "You are all goddesses and goddesses never fail". Oprah, you go right ahead with your $3 billion fortune, your personal trainers and your cook and be a goddess. I'm just an ordinary middle-aged woman tying to lose weight.

SaveComment16Like5
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happilady

I'm a lifetime WW member and have been at goal for almost 3 1/2 years. I've lost 62 pounds.

You out can eat whatever you want, though the new Smart Points program penalties sugar a lot. I eat bread everyday. You just can't always eat as much as you like. But nothing is off limits.

Oprah struggles with her weight just like you do. Obviously having a cook and personal trainer isn't the answer. If she puts too much food in her body she will gain weight just like we do.

If if you really want to lose your extra weight, try truly working the program. This means tracking every bite, weighing and measuring your foods, and planning. It also means if you mess up, you don't quit. You just track it and go on. Good luck!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills

To people who are not in the program, for Oprah to go on TV and say that "you can eat anything" is not accurate. There is no weight loss program on Earth in which people can eat anything and still lose weight.

My objection is this: Oprah is misrepresenting the Weight Watchers program and because they are in financial straits, they are letting her do it. The best part of WW, for me, was cutting through all the diet BS out there and really learning food education. It grieves me very much to see that the truth about losing weight is now being railroaded for celebrity status.

Who will really be hurt by this? Not Oprah,that's for sure.

Save    
User

But I thought that was the whole point of WW....you can eat anything as long as you track the points........whole food groups, like bread or fruit, are not excluded like on other diets. You can have bread, cookies, ice cream whatever as long as you count the points. Of course, if that's all you're eating those points will be "gobbled up" by lunch. I think WW is a great program, but I find it easier to just count calories......because at the end of the day it's still calories in vs. calories burned.

2 Likes Save    
Beverly Hills

Exactly! You must eat within your points, so if you decide to have a hot fudge sundae for breakfast, there go your points... but Oprah does not qualify it at all. She just says,"You can eat whatever you want" period. That, in my opinion, is dishonest and misleading. Much as I like WW, I am disappointed that they let this kind of half-truth represent the program.

1 Like Save    
mandy_elaine

On WW you CAN eat whatever you want but if you make poor choices then you will be out of points and 1. be hungry all day or 2. eat "zero point" foods the rest of the day (if those still exist--it has been a while since I have done the program) 3. go over your points and that day won't be a good day in the weight loss column. Her commercial lets people know that they can have bread on WW which is not an allowed food on many diets so that's a win for WW but as far as Oprah is concerned, she is not my diet guru. Not being unkind here, I like her a lot, but she hasn't been able to keep her weight down steadily most of her life and she does have access to things that most of us do not. If had a personal trainer, chef and the availability to rest as needed/eat when hungry/work out when I should/see a therapist for any food issues I may struggle with, etc. then my weight would probably be stellar! So in my opinion the commercial wasn't necessarily the best representation of the program but then again, Oprah has such a loyal following that some people will jump on board just because it is her.

Beverly Hills

As of this week, WW stock has fallen almost 30%, for a quarterly loss of $11 million. That is a huge hit for any company. Oprah bought a ski home in Telluride a few months ago and just purchased a horse farm (minus the horses) in California. I don't remember the exact amount but I think maybe $28 million, not sure. Bread! Bread! Bread!

Save    
amylou321

I am not a fan of WW. I tried it a few years ago when the points plus program was new. At the end of 4 months tracking my points,exercising and going to the ridiculous(in my opinion, I know they help some people) meetings, I had gained 6 pounds and was hungry and cranky all the time. I am glad my employer paid for the program fully,or I would have been much crankier. While a lot of people in my work group lost weight (mostly the men go figure) I went back to the weight loss clinic,started the lipo shots and low carb life again, and the weight is coming off and I feel much better. ( I will admit that I believe the fact that I pay for the shots and weigh everytime I go get one helps me stay on the program, but at least with low carb, I know I can maintain it forever because I am not starving all day and going to bed with headaches and a empty,growling tummy like I was on ww)

WW is kidding themselves. There are too many free apps and websites that will calculate how many calories you should have to lose weight and help people track them. When I did it, I found a free app that calculated how many points I could have and helped me track them for free. It was dead on with the numbers WW gave me. There are a few paid apps with more features, but they are still much cheaper than ww.To me, the only thing about WW that may help better than doing it on your own is the weigh ins and meetings that offer support and accountability, although one can find those for free at any number of venues. And even those are going away since they started the online program, so im not sure of the advantage anymore.And as for Oprahs joyous celebration of carby delights, i cant relate and wont be lured in. I can't have bread,and frankly don't miss it or rice or pasta,but I can eat all the cheese I want...I EAT CHEESE EVERYDAY OPRAH! SUCK ON THAT! And for me, low carb eating means I eat less calories as well, as all the fat and protein is very satisfying and sticks for a long time, so I don't want to eat all day like I did on ww. I can't fathom having to watch and measure and weigh everything and count points for all eternity,even after reaching your target weight. Also, it seems there is no wiggle room in ww. One day a week I allow myself to eat whatever I want,which is not really a nod to indulgence as it is to convenience. Since the big Atkins craze is long over, it's much harder to find tasty low carb food to grab and eat, so I find myself cooking most of my meals. And I usually have to cook 2 separate meals or at least 2 variations on a meal since SO is 6 foot 5 and weighs 175 pounds and has no intention of cutting carbs or anything else. So that one day allows me to just go to a restaurant or cook whatever without worrying about customizing or rearranging or remaking anything.

I don't think even Oprah can save ww now.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Beverly Hills
tete_a_tete

"It's not about the scale, it's about YOU". Huh? This is still a weight loss program, so yes, it IS about the scale. If I want pop psych, I will find a guru.

I haven't heard Oprah's speech but I agree with this one. "It's not about the scale, it's about YOU".

The scale takes no account of the fact that muscle weighs more than fat.

Save    
tete_a_tete

'for Oprah to go on TV and say that "you can eat anything" is not accurate.'

Well I agree with this one too. I think you can eat anything. Good on ya Oprah.

Save    
tete_a_tete

So where can I find out what Oprah is bleating?

: )

share_oh

Oprah bought 10% of the company back in the fall. It's no wonder she's promoting the heck out of it now.

Beverly Hills

Now I have seen Kirstie Alley back on the Jenny Craig commercials. If I remember correctly, she was their celebrity representative before and bombed out because she did not lose weight. Now she says she has lost 50 pounds - I wonder if she lost that before they took her back or if she really lost it on Jenny.

Save    
paperweights

I'm not much of an Oprah fan, but I do agree with her that you can eat anything you want and still lose weight. Obviously you can't eat all you might want of it. WW helps you think about portion control and maybe exchanging the thing you want for a lot more of something else that you also like. I am a lifetime WW member who has recently returned to take off the 15 pounds that had crept back on. With WW support, I am now back at my goal. I am reminded, however, that there was nothing that would take the weight off for me. I had to do it myself. For me, it was easier with WW support.

Save    
eld6161

I agree Jane. I'm lifetime as well and although I really don't use the points system anymore, WW keeps me accountable monthly. I do enjoy sharing and commiserating with the other like minded people at the meetings.

The locations for meetings has shrank since I joined about 15 years ago. With so many other choices online, it's no wonder that WW is falling out of favor.

For me, doing a weight loss program on line would be sad.

I agree with Mandy. Oprah is not my ideal of a diet role model.

K Sissy

I'm a WW member, and over the past 3 yrs have lost 50lbs. The new program is very tough, and I have been having a very hard time with it. For WW Oprah brings a fresh new perspective. She is someone that everyone knows struggles everyday with her wt. Her representation of WW shows everyone, that if she can make it on the diet, most of us can make it. The new diet is very tough. The focus is more on the low carb aspect than it has ever been before. I am having a hard time, but for me it helps that all fruits and vegetables are free now. It is expensive, and takes a long time, but I would rather do it this way than shots, surgery,etc.

Save    
pekemom

Bread..every single day...sure, maybe one slice, or half a slice instead of the amounts of bread she used to eat..Sorry, I tried WW a couple of times and it didn't work well for me, (I lost weight consistently once I cut back on what I was eating and cut out dessert type foods, on my own.) If diet plans like WW work for others great.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen Ideas for Bread Lovers
Any way you slice it, a kitchen designed with bread in mind conveys warmth and homeyness
Full Story
Life Simple Pleasures: The Joy of Baking
Fill your house with a heavenly scent and your heart with cheer by making time to bake
Full Story
Life Simple Pleasures: Indulging in Teatime
Get out the china cups and cream-slathered scones. Tea with treats can make even an uneventful day feel extravagant
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever