Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Bad reaction to new Feliway Multicat ?

Debbie Downer
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My brown tabby was in the hospital overnight and was diagnosed with feline vestibular disease , which severely effects balance. When he came home with hospital smells on him and behaving so differently, my other cat Orange was afraid of him and would hiss and take swipes at him. Actually this is pretty typical reaction when one cat comes home from vet or hospital, and I thought Id get some Feliway because that's seem to help in the past.

I thought Id try the new MULTICAT formula instead of the regular formula I've always used.

Well, a few days later I came home to find Orange hiding deep within a storage cabinet, behind some stuff, where he pretty much stayed the next few days. He would come out hesitantly if I coaxed him out, but the minute he saw or heard Figgy even from a distance he would get all twitchy and look terrified and go diving back into the deep recesses of the cabinet.

He was showing all the symptoms of full blown hyperesthesia! Actually, I didnt know what it was called at first - I googled "twitchy cat" and came up with all kinds of info about it. Oh great, I thought. Another weird cat disease.

I observed the same confused twitchy behavior, dilated pupils, etc. as described in the articles. I even saw the "rolling skin" thing - the muscles on his back rippling like a wave under the skin. Very strange. One time I just held him and massaged his back and that seemed to help although the articles warn that petting can be a trigger. It just broke my heart to see this usually confident and happy cat acting like this.

This went on for a couple days until suddenly I realized - this all started a couple days after I had plugged in that new MULTICAT diffuser! So I pulled it out and put back in one that was REGULAR formula, and literally, within 2 hours Orange came out of hiding and was starting to seem a little more relaxed. After 2 days he was pretty much back to being his relaxed, sweet lovable self. Now he and Figgy still aren't close pals like they used to be but they seem to be tolerating each other pretty well.

Interestingly - wikipedia article says a suspected cause of hyperesthesia is suppressed aggression. This is VERY interesting because when I bought the MULTICAT Feliway the guy told me that in addition to the usual happy cat pheremone that's in the original formula, they added another one that mimics the pheremone the mother cat emits to keep harmony between the kittens and keep them from attacking each other.

HMMMMMM......

Well I have no real scientific proof that the MULTICAT caused Orange's symptoms. Its a new product and there isnt much written about it or any reviews pro or con. I'm not about to try it again to see if the same thing happens! So I admit, it very well could be a coincidence that Orange developed these symptoms during the very period this product was in use.

But I know what I saw and I know that what I saw was radically different from what Ive seen before or since. Like every cat Ive ever had, Orange would occasionally twitch, swish his tail, etc. but always brief and nothing out of the ordinary, nothing like he was those few days.

Just thought I should put this out there in case anyone else observes anything similar. If you do and if you are using this product, then you might want to try NOT using it and see what happens.

Comments (12)

• annztoo
    8 years ago

Kasha.....thanks for sharing your observation!

It's sad to think of all the animals that suffer from products & chemicals that we use within our home because we, and the veterinarians, don't first consider that many illnesses are due to allergies/sensitivities to litter, food, supplements, herbs and synthetic products such as Feliway.

You should post your findings on any forums with discussions about hyperesthesia and other neurological disorders.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks Annztoo, yes that's exactly what I thought - as I read about hyperesthesia I had a real sinking feeling because the recommendation is to put the cat on tranquilizer drugs without any consideration to environmental causes.

Feliway is, for all intents and purposes, a DRUG. One that is administered nasally via the scent receptors, but a drug nevertheless. Kinda like an inhaler, no? We don't know dosage, and how much is being taken in compared to how much a kitten might be receiving from its mother. I suspect its highly variable depending on size of house, whether windows are open, etc.

It could be that its highly useful and beneficial to the great majority of cats - indeed, Ive had great results from the REGULAR formula. And it could be only a very few cats have bad reactions. Kinda like a small minority of depressed people have severe bad reactions to SSRI anti depressants, while at the same time they're helpful to many other people,

If that's the case then we ought to be aware and perhaps possible side effect warnings should be on the label Certainly VETS ought to be aware - there was one only one account I came across while googling of a possible bad reaction to the regular formula Feliway - same twitchy cat symptoms and the cats owner asked "could Feliway be causing this?" The vet replied saying no he didn't think so - arghhh!! Im bothered for 2 reasons - the vet didn't say, try stopping it and see what happens. He had to be a freakin know-it-all and say he didn't think so. And whats this guy doing asking an internet vet in the first place- why didn't he think to just try stopping it himself!!!!?? You can do that, you know! Don't need the vets OK.

Sadly, this web page from 2009 didn't have anything about what happened to the cat, was it in fact the Feliway or something else.

We really do need to step up to the plate and be strong advocates for our pets - no one else can do it like we can!

• Kristie Jean
    3 years ago

Thabk You for this. I have used this only one week and saw a dramatic ( not good) difference in one of my cats. We have unplugged it this morning and he’s already back in his front door...could it be this that has triggered such an illness or just coincidence?

• Katherine K
    3 years ago

Just returned from the emergency vet after my cat was having a similar reaction as yours!

My cat, Mowgli, has a URI - returned from the vet on Friday. My other cat, Bagheera, wasn't too fond of the new alien scent, so the vet recommended I purchase the Feliway Multicat diffuser.

Now at the time, I didn't piece the 2 together, but almost immediately after plugging it in, Bagheera started acting weird. Lethargic, a little bit of dry heaving, breathing and drooling from the mouth...2 days went by with her hiding and not eating/drinking.

The emergency vet asked if I had brought anything new into the house, but I didn't even think of the diffuser. Said no, I think she's just suffering from a pretty severe stress response to Mowgli being sick. They gave her fluids, an antibiotic for a URI (?!!?!?), and sent her home. Bagheera immediately went to my room, where I followed to plug in the diffuser in hopes that it would calm her down and encourage her to try eating again. SHE IMMEDIATELY THREW UP.

I now have all windows open and tossed that crap in the garbage where it belongs. I'm so worried this will effect how my once close and loving cats will act towards each other. Nice to know I'm not crazy, seeing reviews like this. I understand the regular Feliway isn't all bad, has great reviews...but, if Feliway can give a reaction like this, even with a slim chance of it happening, I believe we have a right to know from the doctor. I'm very disappointed.

• Kristie Jean
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry to read this.please kow, we are all back to normal. I pray in a couple days you guys are back to your normal!! So sad that we tried this to help, and it made things so much worse. Prays for a quick recovery!!!

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Katharine, how is your cat now, did the symptoms clear up after you removed the plug in?

Since my original post, my cat was diagosed with hyperthyroidism and I can't rule out that that might have exacerbated his reaction to the plug in. On the other hand - I know what I saw, and there was a clear cause and effect. I actually tried it one more time and the same thing happened - panting and twitching that subsided within acouple hours of removing the plug in. Something in that plug in certainly triggered the response. He never had that response to the original formula, only the multi-cat. However its possible the hyperthyroidism could have set him up to have that extreme of a reaction

Anyway I would just strongly encourage you - if you havent already - get your girl well checked out. Yes. do of course mention her reaction to vet, but maybe there is something underlying as well. My huge regret is I kept putting off getting my cat the routine senior cat blood tests my vet was recommending ie thyroid, diabetes, kidney, etc. His hyperthyroid symptoms were not typical and pretty mild and not noticeable ..... until suddenly they werent and he was in pretty bad shape. Best regards to you and your kitty!

• Linda Little
    2 years ago

I know this is a really old post but I am wondering if this is the problem with my kitty Daisy. She won't eat and has diarrhea, she was diagnosed with cecal cancer almost three years ago but is essentially in remission (she still takes meds). We added a kitten to the household 6 weeks ago, she doesn't hate him but doesn't love him either - she is fine sleeping with him but is annoyed when he is awake doing kitten things). I added 2 of the multi-cat plug ins about 3 weeks ago.

We brought Daisy to ER on Wednesday - all her bloodwork is fine except sugar is high (she is negative for diabetes, so they think it is stress related. She saw a cardiologist, mild heart disease but nothing serious. The oncologist did an ultra sound and the it does not appear the cancer has returned. At the end of a long 12 hours - she ate some food from the vet's hand. They prescribed a bunch of meds to decrease nausea, stop the diarrhea and encourage her to eat - also a dewormer (just in case).

We were sent home with the same food but she would not eat it. This morning we dropped her off at ER again - she is seeing an internist, and then they are going to insert a feeding tube (she is down to 5.9 pounds from 6.8 in a week).

At this point, they think her lack of appetite could be stress related - it certainly could be the kitten, but she has been fine the first 5 weeks. The only thing I can think of that changed was the diffuser - I am waiting for the vet to call me and I will mention this - I have unplugged them and have all the windows open so when she comes home tomorrow (hopefully) the scent is gone.

• Kristie Jean
    2 years ago

We had the same issue, once inthrew then away, he was back to his okd self

• shoozyq
    2 years ago

Sorry to hear of your kitty’ experience. I’m not a fan if the multi cat formula either. We tried it after it seemed regular Feliway seemed to lose its effectiveness. My cat refused to go in his “ safe room “ when it was plugged in. He went back in a few hours after it was unplugged. Stopped using it. No problem with regular Feliway.

• Linda Little
    2 years ago

Daisy is almost back to 100% now after 4 days at the hospital. They found nothing wrong with her and she actually ate on her own while at the hospital. I threw the diffusers away just in case they were the problem.

• Mary White
    last month

I finall found this post and think this Feliway cat difuser has been pur problem. Not only has our Oreo suddenly started having trouble with seeing, my eyes have been waering like crazy too. Ive never had allergies before. we got back from the vet yesterday and the bloodwork was fine. We’re going tomorrow again to check Oreo’s bloodpressure. Suddenly over the weekend she lost her eyesight. ive had this unplugged just a couple hours now and hoping and praying we both have our eyes go back to normal.