How do you break the snacking habit?

User

I think I could lose weight if I could only stop snacking. Any thoughts or ideas? Its sitting in front of the TV eating at night I can't seem to quit.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Don;t bring the stuff into the house in the first place.

Save    
User

thats a hard thing to do since I live so far from town.

Save    
sushipup1

Just buy whole foods for meals, No snack stuff.

Save    
User

1) Buy healthier food and eat it so you're not tempted to snack.

2) DON'T sit in front of the TV.

Save    
christinero

Exercise while watching TV. Drink water or club soda with lemon or lime instead of snacking. I allow myself one snack, usually sugar free pudding and that's it, no grazing in the evenings (it can really get out of hand).

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

It's not a good idea to break the snacking habit...but you must eat healthier snacks. You should have a snack between meals when you feel hungry because it will help you eat less during meals and keep your blood sugar on an even keel during the day. A piece of fruit, a hard-boiled egg, a piece of celery with some hummus stuffed in the ribs, a small amount of nuts, or some string cheese are good snacks.

Save    
Fred Villalobos

Best thing to do is to have no unhealthy snacks in the house. I can tell you that whenever I go to my mother's house, no matter what diet I'm on, I'm always going to eat the cupcakes on the counter without thinking about it. But if there are no snacks in the house, I just shrug and don't eat. As for sitting in front of the tv, make sure to drink plenty of water, and take a short walk every 30 minutes. Sitting down for long periods of time sets your metabolism down low, just simply taking 20 seconds to move brings it back up.

Save    
caitlin726

My husband liked to do the grocery shopping and would always buy snacks. Cheese and crackers, pretzels, some candy. We got into having french bread dipped in olive oil before dinner. I could go on. I would sit on my laptop at night and get up a million times for "a couple pretzels" some nice crackers with some GOOD cheese. I've always been a snacker. After he passed away and I started doing the shopping I bought NOTHING. And I mean nothing. I now will snack on some low fat cheese sticks or a greek yogurt, any protein food. I lost 50 lbs in a year and half. When my gd's come over they know to bring their own snacks (and some cheetos for me). When I'm at the store I won't even look at snacks because I know I'll be suckered in by "baked" veggie chips or popcorn or rice cakes or anything they toute as "healthy" snacks. I still eat them when I go out and there is chips and dips ETC. So my advise is don't bring them home. There are healthy things to sanck on and keep them handy. I hope I don't sound preachy, I'm not trying to be, just saying what worked for me. BTW, I'd kill for some cheetos right now.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World Household Habits and Customs to Borrow From Other Countries
Discover why salt may be the perfect house-warming gift, how to clean rugs in snow and why you should invest in a pair of ‘toilet slippers’
Full Story
Most Popular A Fine Mess: How to Have a Clean-Enough Home Over Summer Break
Don't have an 'I'd rather be cleaning' bumper sticker? To keep your home bearably tidy when the kids are around more, try these strategies
Full Story
Most Popular The Polite House: On ‘No Shoes’ Rules and Breaking Up With Contractors
Emily Post’s great-great-granddaughter gives us advice on no-shoes policies and how to graciously decline a contractor’s bid
Full Story
Scott Davidson founded Davidson Builders in 1998. Scott graduated from Michigan State with a BS in Construction... Read More