RECIPE: Lactose free lasagna recipe

jewelisfabulous

Looking for one for my lactose-sensitive son. I have the "vegan cheese" for the top but need a replacement for the ricotta.

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vintageseller

Watch out for the commercial lactose-free products. Although being safe for the lactose intolerant folks, these products might still contain sugar. Good to know for those of us who need less of it.

I've located a website that claims to have known the recipe for the homemade ricotta cheese. They say all you need is whole or 2% milk and either lemon juice or vinegar. Bring the milk almost to simmer, add lemon juice or vinegar, and let it sit while you work on the rest of the dinner. Another 10 minutes or so goes into straining the curds, and then the ricotta is ready for your lasagna, pizza, or whatever devious and delicious plans you have in store.

See the full recipe here: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-ricotta-cheese-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-23326

Hope this helps

Save    
jewelisfabulous

Hmmm, does the simmering or adding the lemon juice/vinegar remove the lactose from the milk?

Save    
vintageseller

I have no idea. I just googled it.

Save    
vintageseller

Here now, I've found a website that provides a Lactose-Free Ricotta Cheese recipe. Here goes:

1/2 gal lactose-free milk

6oz lactose-free plain yogurt

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 tsp non-iodized salt

1. Whisk milk and yogurt together in a large cooking pot over medium heat. Stir often to avoid scorching. Bring the milk up to 175 degrees (hot but not yet simmering; use a candy thermometer if you have one), and remove from heat. Add vinegar while stirring briefly. Tiny bits of curd will form. Set the mixture aside for 15 minutes.

2. Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth. Pour curds and liquid (whey) into colander to strain. Let drain for at least an hour. Ideally, tie up the bundle with twine, thread the twine around a wooden spoon, and suspend the bundle over a pitcher to drain, in the refrigerator, for a couple of hours or more.

3. Transfer solids to a bowl and add salt, working in gently. (You can also add lemon zest, herbs, or anything you like for flavor.) Refrigerate in a covered container; keeps for about a week. (I think it makes about 2 cups)

How to make lactose-free ricotta cheese

Save    
jewelisfabulous

This is great! Thank you so much!

Save    
vintageseller

You're welcome

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
Shop Houzz Houzz Products: Throw a Perfect Potluck
Host a fuss-free feast with serveware, chafing dishes, ecofriendly disposable plates and more from the Houzz Products section
See Products
Organizing How Much Stuff Is Enough?
Play the numbers game to streamline your belongings, for a neater home and a less-stressed you
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever