LOOKING for: honey, oil & vinegar

Robin Beaumont

I used to take a mixture of honey, oil and apple cider vinegar as an appetite suppressant, but I have forgotten the appropriate proportions of the ingredients. Ring any bells?

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_home_com

Try looking in the Health Forum. They are always talking about some apple cider vinegar diet. I don't think you need the oil.

Save    
BenRose72_aol_com

What I have read somewhere may be different from what you used to take. You may try this:
To a glass of water add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. For flavor add a little honey. Take one glass a day.

Save    
jmdb_teleport_com

Here is one resource I found:

http://www.sjvls.lib.ca.us/sjvls/bens/public.html

I have not yet had my local library check for a copy of the September, 1979 Cosmopolitan Magazine nor have I asked them to request a copy through the San Joaquin Valley Library System. But I am old enough to remember Cosmo did publish as tasty HOV diet.

Good Luck!

Save    
salena330_yahoo_com

Instead of an appetite suppressant why not eat lots of whole grains like whole barley, brown rice, whole rye or wheatberries, beans and veggies. Eat all you want just dont add oils and sugars. Eat whole wheat pastas and whole wheat breads. Meats are 'fat'. You will not be hungry eating this way

Save    
sda31_qwest_net

I use unfiltered vinegar with honey to taste. If I were to add an oil ,it would be , unfiltered extra vergin olive oil.
Made with hot water in the morning it makes a good drink to start the day with.

Save    
paulawylma

Hi I was hoping to find that recipe myself. To the other posters, you didn't understand the original post. In the 70s there was a HOV diet that was actually a book that several magazine articles were written from. It is not the same as the apple cider diet. The idea was that the combination (in the right proportions) of honey, oil and vinegar aided in weight loss by combining cleansing, appetite suppression and something else that I forgot. :-) the proportions were supposed to be important. If I find it, I will repost. It's odd that with so much information on the internet that HOV is so hard to find.

Save    
pamd96

Try a different search engine (yahoo, altavista, ask)and/or try using the words in quotes or with + between them.

Save    
proudmary56

Did anyone find the recipe? Sure would like to give it a try.

Save    
rekhashah22_yahoo_com

Hi, I have that boo0k, 'The Easy low-cost way to Total Beauty' by Lelord Kordel, 1979.
The recipe is as follows:
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons safflower oil
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar(must be apple-cider vinegar)

Mix well, take three times daily , 1/2 hour before each meal.

Save    
Victorianstyle

I have the revised version of the HOV (Honey,Oil & Vinegar)from Ebay. The original formula you have is good;but, I lost weight much faster and easier with instructions from the book HOV- The Supermodels Complete Honey, Oil and Vinegar Diet. There are four versions including one for those who can't have any type of sugar. They are not the ones with Olive oil in it. Hope this helps Ladies!

Save    
Rene Hobbs

the one in Cosmo back in the 70's was 2tsp honey,2 tsp safflower oil,2 tablespoons vinegar..use as a shot glass,in a full glass of water or as dressing on salad 3x's a day

Save    
Kit Kat

To give credit where credit is due, the original HOV mixture came from a nutritionist by the name of Adelle Davis. Her books are from the 40's-60's. Google her or I made it easy go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelle_Davis 

The book it was in may have been "Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit" from 1954.

I discovered her books in the early 70's. She was an early advocate of cutting out the processed foods and eating whole foods only and also she talked about how bad canned food were for you. She was WAY ahead of her time.

Although the above proportions are not the original "recipe" as it was NOT equal portions but it was safflower oil, apple cider vinegar and honey. I do not remember the proportions, but you mixed up about a cup or so at a time and drink 1 tablespoon (?) or maybe 2 teaspoons before each meal. The reason for the oil is that on a diet, most people completely cut oils & fats out, but you need some oil in your diet, so this made up for it. The vinegar aids digestion. The honey was to make it palatable. And its supposed to cut your appetite.

Save    
HU-693813905

Glad I finally found someone who knew what I was talking about. I make a large amount to use as regular salad dressing or just to dip vegetables when I don't want to dig into a candy bar etc. The ratios were 2 to 1 with the ACV being predominant. ACV suppresses your appetite, honey gave you energy and safflower oil aided with digestion. AND the longer it's in the refrigerator, the better/sweeter it tastes!! Thank you all...ENJOY!

Save    
HU-283455949

Will any othrr vegetable oil get the same results? i cant find it at my loval Safeway.

Save    
HU-332113455

The quantity is

2 the spoon honey

2 the spoon safflower oill

2 table spoons apple cider vinegar

take 3x/day half an hour before esting don’t forget vitamin B6 teice a day.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping Vinegar and Voilà: Clean Your House the Natural Way
Ditch the commercial cleaners for nontoxic, inexpensive and versatile white vinegar
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Goodbye, Honey Oak — Hello, Minty Green
After more than 30 years, the Kloesels revamped their space to reflect their rural country town and Victorian-style home
Full Story
Farm Your Yard Hello, Honey: Beekeeping Anywhere for Fun, Food and Good Deeds
We need pollinators, and they increasingly need us too. Here, why and how to be a bee friend
Full Story