LOOKING for: Diabetic jelly & jam recipe

User

I have a friend I like to send jellies & jams I make to. She's diabetic, though, and could do without the sugar. Any recipes out there? Thanks!

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Try Spenda, we did making Crab Apple Jelly, turned out good, but on the soupy side. Got some recepies thru the North Dakota University extensions department. Need more infor--let me know and I will do additional research
Marie

Save    
Angel03260326

I just made blueberry sugar-free jam. I used Splenda as a sugar-substitute. I knew that commercial pectins wouldn't work to thicken it so I just cooked it until it was thick enough (about 220 degrees on a candy thermometer if you want to check it that way). It took about 30 minutes but came out great. Just remember to cook it down and then let it cool to see how thick it really is. It won't get any thicker when you put it in the jars. I then put it in sterilzed jars and hot water bath processed it for 5 minutes. You have to be really careful when using Splenda, as far as sterilizing, etc. Splenda does not have the anti-bacterial properties that sugar does.

Save    
finngrl_hotmail_com

Good to know Angel,
I've been searching for the answers as to why jelly recipes with splenda were short lived. Good advise on the boiling down too....now I can proceed with as little of the vile stuff as possible.
Thanks

Save    
craftylady

I used Pomona' s pectin and made my plum jam last year with organic unrefined coconut palm sugar.

Save    
User

You could make normal jam without the sugar, and add chia seeds to thicken it.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Edible Gardens Why Grow Quince? For Beauty, Fragrance and Old-Time Flavor
Delightfully perfumed fruit and lovely spring blossoms make this apple and pear cousin worth a spot in the garden
Full Story
Life Slow Living 101: Tips for Turning Off the Chaos
It may feel as though you're too busy to slow down and enjoy life. But even little changes can have a big effect
Full Story
Fruit Trees How to Grow Your Own Persimmons
Sturdy and easy to care for, these trees offer bright fruit through winter — and keeping them in bounds is no sweat
Full Story