RECIPE: bread spread recipe for diabetic

marricgardens

My husband was recently diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I've been doing some research for recipes etc. that I can use. I bought ground flaxseed and sprinkle that on salads, cereal, etc. I think this will boost his fibre intake + add some Omega 3 to his diet. Is whole flaxseed better? We have to go see a dietician to check just what he can/can't eat.

We have always eaten whole grain breads but he loves sandwich spread. Does anyone have a good recipe for one that doesn't contain mayonnaise? He has always eaten homemade relish for sandwich spread because he never liked the taste of mayo. Since relish is made with salt, I'm just not sure if that would be good for him so I thought I would try to find a better recipe to make some. Any advice? Marg

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
User

Hope you are all doing well.

I use hummus on my (now open-faced) sandwiches - less bread, fewer calories. I have heart disease and HTN, so I'm on a low fat, low sodium diet. There are some very good lower fat hummus choices, and they have a lot of taste.

One critical issue is portion control. When you read the labels, note the usual serving size. For most dressings, it's two tablespoons - yet you may need only one tablespoon, which cuts everything in half.

Chia seeds are a great source of the omega fatty acids. I buy Bob's Red Mill and sprinkle them on my oatmeal. Pretty tasty, actually.

Good eating to both of you.

Save    
marricgardens

Thanks for the tip! I've heard of hummus but never tried it. Do you make your own? I never saw chia seeds in the stores here (I'm in Canada) but will have to look. Thanks again. Marg

Save    
User

I don't make my own hummus, we have a grocer here (Wegman's) that makes great hummus so I buy theirs. I know Sabre makes a huge variety, but I don't think it would be hard to make your own, if you can get all the ingredients. Then you can add seasonings that you and your husband like. I like the avocado hummus and the spinach and artichoke hummus on my sandwich.

Try some middle eastern or kosher markets, they should have some good stuff, too. They might have a good selection of low fat/low salt foods too, since heart disease and high blood pressure afflict all of us! I found some great low fat/low sodium hot dogs at the kosher grocer here in Baltimore.

Good luck

Save    
marricgardens

Thanks. I think one of the Eastern markets opened in Barrie, so I'll look there and meantime I'll look into the grocery stores and making my own. Marg

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design World of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
By Houzz
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever