Uses for outer leaves of cabbage

ilene_in_neok

I've had to remove some of the outer leaves of the cabbage that is growing in my garden because they're shading out something else. Lots of the cabbage plants are heading up and there's one or two that might be ready to cut in a couple of weeks.

I kind of hate to put these big leaves in the compost. I've tasted one, and it's kind of strong, a hint of cabbage-like sweetness, with a bit of a bitter aftertaste. But they're deep green and I'll bet they're just packed with vitamins and good things. Do any of you grow cabbage and use those big outer leaves for anything? Would they be OK steamed and cut in small pieces for soup, or would the bitterness remain and ruin the whole pot?

SaveComment11Like1
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
livingthedream

Stuffed cabbage rolls are made with the large outside leaves. The cabbage leaves have to be cooked first to make them soft enough to roll, which may also take care of the bitterness.

Save    
blueberrier1

Use a cleaver to make thin strips and pop into a veggie stir fry with fresh garlic, onions, whole radish plants, maybe some pea plants, etc. Can flavor with a bit of meat, soy sauce, sesame oil. Delish.

Save    
cypriotsid

Here is a recipe for Dolmades except vine leaves but should work with cabbage leaves

Whenever I am in Cyprus I can't stop eating these. There's loads of different varieties - meaty, herby, veggie and these, which have sultanas and pine nuts. Serving them with the delicious tzatziki is essential.
Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
125g/4½oz short-grain rice, rinsed and drained
50g/2oz sultanas
50g/2oz pine nuts, toasted
1 lemon, juice only
175ml/6fl oz water
1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
handful of finely chopped fresh mint leaves and parsley
20 preserved vine leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tzatziki
1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and coarsely grated
200ml/7fl oz Greek yoghurt
4 garlic cloves, crushed
handful of freshly chopped mint leaves
½ lemon, juice only
extra virgin olive oil

Method
1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the shallots and garlic until soft. Add the rice, sultanas, pine nuts and lemon juice and fry for one minute. Season, then add the water.
2. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave to cool.
3. Once the mixture is cool, add the spring onions, mint and parsley.
4. Rinse the vine leaves in water, then place them shiny side down on a board. Put about two teaspoons of the cooled stuffing on each leaf and roll into a tight parcel. Chill until ready to eat.
5. For the tzatziki, mix the cucumber with the yoghurt, garlic, mint, lemon juice and seasoning. Tip into a serving bowl and top with a dash of olive oil.
6. You can serve the dolmades either cold or warm (just heat them in a steamer). Put them on a large plate with the tzatziki in the middle and get stuck in.

1 Like Save    
ilene_in_neok

OOOOOH! That sounds good!

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. --Ilene

Save    
bonebloodyidle

I peg them in the pot with potato, carrott and turnip peelings and it makes good soup once you have blended them. The peelings are high in fibre so they're good for your innards too.

1 Like Save    
dmhuyssoon

Cut the stems out, rub with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on the grill until tender. Delicious! You can also roast the leaves like you do with kale. A littler tougher but I don't mind it.

1 Like Save    
User

Haluski is a delicious fried cabbage and noodle dish. I like to make it with a bit of bacon (lardons).

1 Like Save    
Rodney Hayes

We here in southeast ohio on the river call this Crap Cabbage and it is Delectable We take these leaves roll them cut in slivers like one does collard, mustard, or kale greens wash them then put them in a pot of hot seasoned (smoked ham, ham hock or jowl bacon or maybe smoked turkey, chopped garlic, onions chopped worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, vinegar not too much) boiling water let them cook for a while when the water gets low add hot water, bring back up to boiling then turn down to simmer for couple hours until tender

* Then adjust seasoning adding garlic and onion powder, and a shake or two of ground clove

The last half hour of cooking pull out the seasoning meat and pull or chop into biteable (if such a word) pieces and add it back mix in the add sugar to you liking turn off let sit and cool a bit to let flavors sit in....enjoy!!!

If you want and this great also in the last hour or hour and a half throw in a head of chopped cabbage start at * enjoy!!!

You can also put them in a pot of mixed greens

1 Like Save    
Danielle Crowley

Taking notes from here ;) thanks people!

Save    
HU-75209631

The recipes sound delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Save    
HU-927302343

I’ve been wondering the same, I have massive leaves but no recognizable cabbage head yet on these savoy cabbage plants.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Cabbage Tree
Happiest in plentiful sun, this tropical-looking tree gives a pool area or backyard landscape an exotic view all summer long
Full Story
Gardening Guides What's Wrong With My Plant? Leaves Often Hold the Clues
Learn how to identify common plant ailments by reading their leaves
Full Story
Grasses 10 Ways to Use Ornamental Grasses in the Landscape
These low-maintenance plants can add beauty, texture and privacy to any size garden
Full Story