Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garycook_gw

recipe: looking for Bay Area Stickneys bbq sauce recipe

garycook
18 years ago

The resturaunt has been closed for a few years,but when I was a kid it was my favorite BBQ sauce. They had great ribs and I have never found anything as good.

Anyone have the authentic recipe? I would be very grateful.

Gary

Comments (16)

• User
    18 years ago

Gary, I found some references to Stickney's BBQ sauce and apparently it is not a sweet sauce. I hate most BBQ sauces because they are sweet. I've only found one that I like and it is the Tunnel BBQ sauce from a restaurant in Windsor, Ontario that has been in business for over 60 years. I order it from them and they will ship anywhere. I also have a copycat recipe for the sauce that you might like to try. It is quite close to the original.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

TBQ Sauce
    =========
    1/2 cup Ketcup
    1/2 cup prepared mustard
    1/2 cup vinegar white
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
    1/4 cup white sugar.

Place all ingredients in a blender and mix. Store unrefrigerated.
    Seems to last forever.

Please note:

This is the directions that I was given. Being a coward, I stored mine
    in the refrigerator.

Also: I found that the chili powder flavour was overpowering so would
    either leave it out next time or use only 1/2 teaspoon.

And I used less sugar than was called for, because I really do prefer
    a more savory then sweet sauce..

• cathyid
    18 years ago

We,left the Bay Area, in the late 70's. I had not thought of Stickney's, in years. This brought back fond memories, seeing their name. Sorry, I can't help you with a recipe, Gary. Besides the BBQ ribs, they had the best onion rings and onion soup, I have ever had. I suppose they have all closed down now. Good luck, hope you find a copycat of theirs.

• garycook
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cathy,
    The best onion soup & rings your right about that.I loved everything about Stickney's ,here is an article I found about them .Enjoy.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Stickney's Hickory House

• cathyid
    18 years ago

Lot's of memories. Thanks, Gary.

• garycook
    Original Author
    18 years ago

bump

• phil_from_colorado
    18 years ago

My family went to Stickney's in Palo Alto many times when I was a kid. I do remember the great food as well as the terrific barbeque sauce. I also remember how friendly the staff was and the many happy times our family had there. I wish the best for Kay Stickney and her family and I want them to know I consider Stickney's not just a business; it was in fact, a part of my family's history.

• julsthompson55
    7 years ago

Dear Gary... I read your request a few years ago, and was wondering if you ever found the original Stickney's BBQ sauce recipe? Stickney's was a staple in my family's life, all the way through the early 80's until they shut down San Jose's Stickney's on Steven's Creek...I always ordered the hot pork sammies and dipped the fries in that OMG sauce! lol..The Chicken Noodle Soup and mile high strawberry pies were off the charts too..The closest I've come to getting that original taste, is Heinz 57 BBQ sauce with honey...I miss my childhood haunts...Santa's Village & Frontier Village as well! XO, Julie

• rebeccacooks38
    6 years ago

I went to Menlo Atherton high school with Joan Stickney. Loved that restaurant and would love to have the bbq sauce recipe. It wasn't sweet. Like a smokey brown sauce. Sigh. Oh and the strawberry pie! Rebecca Hayner

• julsthompson55
    6 years ago

XO! Didn't Stevie Nicks go to MA?? I'm second gen. San Josean...Grew up going to magical Allied Arts (with my Gran)...Miss their old restaurant!

• rebeccacooks38
    6 years ago

Rebeccacooks38@yahoo.com well watching bbq on food Paradise show on travel channel. Really would like to find a recipe for stickney's bbq sauce. Dang.

• julsthompson55
    5 years ago

Hi!...What did ya come up with??? Been hunting for years for this recipe (or copy cat)!!! Loved to dip our fries in that YUMMOH sauce, as well...Miss the mid-century coolness of that restaurant...Grew up going to the one at Valley Fair/San Jose...:)

• HU-249854558
    5 years ago

Take 3/4 cup of hienz 57 mix with 1/2 cup famous Dave’s devils spit BBQ sauce. Both are available at your local Safeway. Let me know what you think.

• julsthompson55
    5 years ago

Thanks so much! I always thought that Heinz 57 with honey, tasted very close to Stickney's...I'll try your recipe!

• julie thompson
    2 years ago

The closest thing I came to Stickney's BBQ sauce is Heinz 57 with honey...I added a third a cup of brown gravy to a bottle of sauce mixed all in a bowl and it was super close!

• HU-877699658
    11 months ago

Thank you for the recipe i have great memories there with the family only thing I ever ate was the ribs loved the bun under the ribs. i also remeber a delicious pickle.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus