Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindytx

LOOKING for: Brownies made in the 70's-maybe old Hershey's recipe

cindytx
18 years ago

Hope someone can help - my brother just emailed me asking if I remember the brownie's we used to make after school on an almost weekly basis ! They were so good and soooo easy to make, but I don't have the recipe.

The one thing I do remember is that we baked them in an 8 inch pan and they had Hershey's cocoa in them ( eggs, butter, sugar and maybe flour but I don't think so - don't really remember using flour.)

I've searched the Hersheys' site and all the recipes called for a 13x9 pan. Anyone have an old Hershey's cocoa can that might have the recipe on it or anyone remember making a brownie that was really simple with just a few ingredients?

Thanks for any help !

Cindy

Comments (20)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

This is from www.nancyskitchen.com:

QUICK & EASY "COCOA BROWNIES"
    1/2 c. oleo
    1 c. sugar
    2 eggs
    1/4 tsp. vanilla
    4 tbsp. cocoa
    1/2 c. flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 c. nuts (optional)

Cream together oleo and sugar, then add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Sift together cocoa, flour and salt; stir into egg mixture. Add nuts if desired. Spread into 8 inch greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 25 minutes.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Here's another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brownies

• angelstiger
    18 years ago

Lets see, The brownies I used to make in the 70's? Well first you need to go down the corner and score a bag of ... ah ... ah ... oregano. Yeah oregano that was the secret ingredient. ROTFLMAO.

Sorry, but with a title like that, I just couldn't resist the temptation. Come to think of it, I couldn't resist temptation back in the 70's either, LOL.

• LucyIL
    18 years ago

I don't know if I've ever seen a recipe for brownies that didn't take flour but I could be wrong there. Anyways, I have an old Hershey's cookbook and went searching for your recipe. Don't know if this is the one you remember or used but here it is:

Chocolate Syrup Brownies

1 egg
    1 cupful brown sugar-packed
    3/4 cupful Hershey's Flavored Syrup
    1 1/2 cupfuls flour (all-purpose)
    1/4 teaspoonful baking soda
    dash of salt
    1/2 cupful butter, melted
    3/4 cupful chopped pecans or walnuts

Beat the egg, and add the sugar and chocolate syrup. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together, and add to the sugar mixture. Then fold in the butter and the nut-meats. Spread in a well-greased shallow baking tin (9-inch square), and bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) 35 to 40 minutes. Cut while warm into small squares. Yield: 16 brownies

(This was copied exactly like they have it in the book. Kind of tells you how old the book is by the way the have things worded here) :)

• cindytx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help:
    Ginger, the second recipe you posted seems very close ! I know there was no oleo as in the first recipe.

Angelstiger- lol!! No willpower here either -thanks for the grins!

Lucyil- our recipe didn't have brown sugar or syrup, but this recipe sounds good- thank you.
    I've forwarded all to my brother and he can now try them out!
    Cindy

• lindac
    18 years ago

The second one Ginger posted was the one I used.... but I would melt the butter in a large sauce pan and let it cool a bit....mix the dry ingredients in a bowl....stir into the butter mix....dump into an 8 by 8 pan and bake.....the bowl only needed a quick rinse.....and we got to lick the pan!
    They are still good brownies!
    Linda C

• shaun
    18 years ago

Well Angelstiger, you and I musta grew up in the same neighborhood! hahaha!

My first thought was POT! We put pot in those brownies! hahahaha!!!

Those were the daze my friends~

• littleonefb
    18 years ago

This recipe is from Hershey itself and the one grandma made for us all the time. Really rich, thick and moist.

3/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine, melted
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 eggs
    2/4 cup unsifted flour
    1/2 cup hershey's cocoa
    1/2 teaspoonbaking powder

Blend melted butter or margarine, sugarr and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, beat well with spoon. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder. Gradually add toeg mixture until well blended. Spread in greased 8 inch square pan. (I use pam instead of greasing the pan). Bake at 350 for
    40 to 45 minutes or untilbrownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. Cool; cut into squares.
    You can add walnuts if you want.
    I remember coming home from school and the house would smell of the brownies almost ready to come out of the oven.
    Just try and wait for them to cool, if anyone is around. Ours never did and they tasted better when they were still warm

• carla35
    18 years ago

Here's a flourless brownie recipe (although it's for a 13X9 pan)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Brownie recipe

• carla35
    18 years ago

Oops...thought that recipe didn't have any flour, but it does...Sorry.

• littleonefb
    18 years ago

This recipe is from Hershey itself and the one grandma made for us all the time. Really rich, thick and moist.

3/4 cup unsalted butter or margarine, melted
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup unsifted flour
    1/2 cup hershey's cocoa
    1/2 teaspoonbaking powder

Blend melted butter or margarine, sugarr and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, beat well with spoon. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder. Gradually add toeg mixture until well blended. Spread in greased 8 inch square pan. (I use pam instead of greasing the pan). Bake at 350 for
    40 to 45 minutes or untilbrownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. Cool; cut into squares.
    You can add walnuts if you want.
    I remember coming home from school and the house would smell of the brownies almost ready to come out of the oven.
    Just try and wait for them to cool, if anyone is around. Ours never did and they tasted better when they were still warm

• littleonefb
    18 years ago

forgot to add to my post just above that there was a typo error in my recipe. It states 2/4 cup flour and should read 3/4 cup flour. I just made the correction. sorry about that

• Dana Martin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

sooo, 14 yrs later ... here's the one we made in the 70s (minus the oregano- lol) it was called 'hershey's 10 minute brownies'

- mix in a large bowl

3/4 c hershey's cocoa powder

1/2 t baking soda

1/3 c oil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- add to the above and stir til it puffs up

1/2 c boiling water

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- mix into the above

2 c sugar

2 eggs

1 t vanilla

1/3 c oil (yes, this is an additional 1/3 c oil)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- stir into above

1 1/3 c flour

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

350 for 30-35 mins in a greased 8x8 or 9x9 square pan

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

Hershey syrup brownies

1 stick butter

1 C sugar

1 tsp baking soda

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

2 C flour

1 can hersey's syrup [3/4 cup]

from my 70s file

• HU-47360902
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Did you ever find the recipe for the brownies that you were looking for just came across this site so my mother had a Hershey recipe book and there was more than one brownie recipe in there but the one mother like the best and the ones we still use was called the best brownies ever it had a half a cup of oil or butyet we always use oil 1 cup of sugar a teaspoon of vanilla 2 eggs 1/2 cup all purpose flour 1/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa 1/4 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt and a half a cup a nuts optional it baked in a eight or 9 in.² pan at 350° 20 to 25 minutes It makes the best brownies

• HU-325815576
    2 years ago

What can you use for the hershey syrup in can no longer make the can

• Doreen Gorman-Pappa
    2 years ago

I clipped this off the covia bix many years ago

• Cheryl Anderson
    last year

YES! I've written to Hersheys and I've searched for the same recipe, it was an 8 inch pan. Hershey sent me a recipe in 9x13 so I know it wasn't the right one. I loved that recipe because it was chewy with the crackle, and shiny top. Have you found it yet? Please share.

• HU-567661959
    6 months ago

l recipe for an 8x8 baking dish

Hersheys best Brownies 8x8 pan recipe

½ cup butter, margarine or butter crisco

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

½ cup flour

⅓ cup cocoa powder

¼ teaspoon salt

½ cup walnuts (optional)

1. Heat oven to 350. Grease 8x8 baking dish
    2. Stir together butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl. Add eggs, beat well with spoon. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in nute if desired. Spread batter evenly into prepared dish.
    3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of dish. Cool completely in dish on wire rack. Prepare creamy Brownie Frosting, spread over brownies. Cut into squares. About 18 brownies.

Creamy Brownie Frosting

3 tablespoons butter, margarine or butter crisco

3 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 tablespoon corn syrup or honey

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup powdered sugar

1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Beat butter, cocoa, corn syrup and vanilla in a small bowl until blended. Add powdered sugar and milk, beat to spreading consistency. About 1 cup frosting.