mothers of estranged son

vivj111

I am looking for advice on how to write a letter to my estranged son, whom I have just learned that he has 1-6 months to live . We have not seen or spoken since the death of my other son almost 5 years ago. we have been estranged for 11 years now and I am at a loss of what to say. He married and has 3 children, whom I also have been told not to contact. His wife was the leading force behind all of this.I am not crying anymore and have up to now come to peace with this. I am pleased, and happy and proud of the way he has done in his life and told me those 5 years ago that he is happy. So that is my only solace. Hearing of this illness is heart wrenching for me, I feel I should reach out one last time. But also fear the rejection again. I feel the best approach is a letter. If there is someone who could give some guidance of words to use or not use. I have been dweling on this for 10 days and still have no idea as to where to begin in this letter to him. Any ideas?

SaveComment6Like
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowergardenmuse

First I would like to say that I'm very sorry to hear about your son and his illness. I'm sorry to hear about your estrangement and what you are facing. I'm certain you do fear rejection and I can fully understand why. With that said, I think a letter a good place to start, although I'm unsure what to offer as far as writing a letter, so I will offer you a website below which I find is very helpful for people who are experiencing or have experienced estrangement.

Maybe start the letter by stating what you have here--that you are pleased, happy and proud and you find it comforting that he told you that he was happy.

As for the website below, I would strongly urge you to take a look at it as it may help you and provide you with comfort and maybe even provide you with some inspiration to find the words to write your son.

Good luck to you with this...you have my hearfelt understanding...

Here is a link that might be useful: E-stranged

Save    
vivj111

thankyou so much for the advice and the link to a web site of interest. I will write again and let you know how it works out. Again thakyou for your kind words,it means alot.

Save    
rosajoe_gw

So sorry, this must be very hard for you to bear. I would also write a warm letter from the heart. Let him know you love him. This contact will also give you peace of mind. You know you tried, regardless of the outcome.

Save    
rockl

I'm sorry to hear of your son's illness. It's a tough place to be in. My son came back from Iraq a different person. He has severe PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury and back problems. I helped him with his VA paperwork, helped him get his education paperwork, and showed him where the VA facilities were, let him live in my home (his wife divorced him shortly after she realized he's not the same person). He becomes agitated with me easily. I have apologized for things I didn't say or do. I have come to realize, the best I can do is pray for him. God is greater than anything in the universe and beyond. I have placed his safety, well being and trust in the Lord's hands. I love my son, but he has to accept who he is now. I hope this helps.

Save    
HU-633101674

Let me start by saying my heart hurts for you. I understand as I have been estranged from my son for 12 years and it all started with his wife. We were very close and went through a lot together. I tried many times to talk with him only for him to be rude to me and his wife said I would never be allowed to talk to the daughter I brought into their lives. It took many years not to be so heartbroken but we do move on. The rejection hurts so badly but I feel you should write the letter with the feelings you have in your heart for him and do this for yourself as well as for him. Have no regrets and it is up to him how he handles it. Just perhaps he will ask to see you, never give up hope. I want to belive they have pain in their hearts also. Sending hugs, prayers and blessings that he has a beautiful journey in death.

Save    
Suzieque

Hi, HU-6331016774 I'm sorry for your estrangement from your son. Please note that this thread started 12 years ago. I'm sure that the OP has either sent a letter or not, or found another way to contact her son. I hope that he beat the odds and is living a healthy and fulfilling life.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Why My Son’s Room Will Be Red: An Expert Weighs In on Colors for Baby
Historical facts, trend recaps and enthusiastic support for painting your nursery any darn color you like
Full Story
Inside Houzz What Mom Wants for Mother’s Day
You’re right about a nice dinner and time with family. Here’s what else will make Mom happy this weekend
Full Story
Mother’s Day Create a Cheery, Romantic Mother’s Day Tablescape
Surprise Mom this weekend with a relaxed and charming table setting with special ingredients you may already have
Full Story