Cramping, but no periods

dee_can1

I'm just wondering if this is a common part of entering menopause...

I've been in perimenopause forever, well, for probably 7 or 8 years now with the last 3 years being more h*llish than ever (but that's for a whole different post!). My blood tests more than a year ago showed I was *in* menopause, however I was still having periods. Further blood tests after that showed I wasn't in menopause - I guess this is common when you're in peri to go up and down like that in your blood test results.

Anyway, I skipped a period about a year ago, then I had periods again, although short ones every 22/24 days. Now since late Sept/early Oct 2011 I haven't had a period. However, I'm having cramps like I'm going to start my period, but it doesn't start. The cramps last a couple of weeks, then go away. Now I'm cramping again, but I'm having no period again this month. So this has gone on for two cycles now.

Is this common when you enter menopause? Has this happened to any of you? I was sort of hoping not having periods anymore would mean I would no longer have cramps! I'm 48 years old. Thanks.

SaveComment160Like3
Comments (160)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kangell_gw

I don't know. I always had a low level of cramping so maybe I'm not a good example. Anyway, in the months where I've missed periods I haven't had any cramping or any other signals at all that a period was on its way/here. This is just my experience.

Save    
mjjones453

I have experienced the same thing. It is very frustrating. Anybody out there that can give us a clue???

1 Like Save    
dee_can1

I ended up having a mammoth period after missing those two cycles. I had heavy bleeding for days, and just about the worst cramping I've ever had. I could barely stand up.

Then I had another period just 22 days later - this one not as intense as the one prior, and shorter. I suspect this rollercoaster is part of going into menopause for some of us.

kangell, I've always had cramping with my periods too. mjjones, how many cycles have you missed? I think I'd rather have a period with cramps then no period with cramps because the cramps just go on and on. I've been thinking about a theory, that maybe with our estrogen levels naturally getting lower going into menopause, the uterus might not be getting a lining every month that sheds (ie. a period) so we keep getting the enduring cramping but since nothing is being shed, the uterus keeps cramping like it's saying 'come on, darn it, do something'. I don't know... ha - guess I'm answering my own questions.

2 Likes Save    
dee_can1

(adding another thought)... Or maybe the lining does build up, but just won't come out for some reason, so we get the endless cramping with no period? Could be why when I did have a period it was so painful and heavy, with blood clots.

1 Like Save    
mjjones453

Well, I missed one period completely the month of November. I feel so messed up. I unfortunatly am on Tamoxifen for Breast Cancer, and it produces hot flashes, but does not put you into menopause. I am peri, I believe. I just wish I had a clue. I had my period arount the 26th of Dec. but am today cramping like crazy. What's up with that!!!

1 Like Save    
doey47

Me too.. cramping but no periods. I just got off the pill in March after a good 25 years of being on it. first month off, i didn't get a period but lots of cramps to make me believe it was certainly on its way. i am actually hoping to get one, just so i can quit freaking out about it. have had some hot flashes, night sweats one night, woke up drenched. good grief. should have stayed on the pill. i'll be 48 in sept by the way. so yippee here i go! so very grateful for this site. need so much to hear other gals are going through the same thing.

3 Likes Save    
TinaL

This is one of the 34 symptoms of peri-menopause and it is called "phantom periods" and it feels as if you have your period or are just about to get it, any time during the month but nothing else, like bleeding happens. It was one of my first signs of peri and it is so confusing because it would actually happen sometimes as close as a week after I just got a period.

5 Likes Save    
doey47

so Tina L are you through all this or still experiencing it all. i'm wondering if anyone else was on the pill and got off and then had the same type of reaction. not too much out there on getting off the pill at a later age and then what will happen. my doc told me i was probably going to have heavy painful periods after getting off and als
o that i had a rather good sized fybroid so i was def expecting periods, not phantoms. not once did he tell me i might start menopause nor skip periods. darnit!!!

Save    
TinaL

I am definitely not all through this since I still have periods. They are very irregular but I am still getting them along with the phantom periods where at times I have missed the period altogether but it feels as if it is there or going to be there. I too have fibroids but am not too familiar with your situation as far as the pill is concerned. All I know is that anything goes as far as peri and menopause is concerned so nothing is probably off the table as far as symptoms go and for you and what you are experiencing is probably from the perimenopause.

Save    
dee_can1

I'd say it's probably perimenopause too, especially considering your age. The pill may have tricked your body into thinking you were... younger, for lack of a better description. Then all of sudden you got off the pill, and wham, your hormones balanced out naturally to where they should be? Just guessing. That's a long time to be on the pill. I was on it for a few years in my early 20's and I didn't tolerate it well.

The term phantom periods describes what's happening perfectly. I just missed the last two cycles again, with some cramping (for weeks!) again. The cramping will stop for a couple of days, and then start again. I did have just a touch of 'show' at one point, but it never turned into a full-blown period.

First my regular doctor told me that the pain could be from scarring on the ovaries from when the egg bursts through every month (hmm, not so sure on that one)... but then when I went to the gynaecologist for my yearly exam, he thought it was from naturally-lowering progesterone at my age (and that my ovaries felt fine upon examination). Then at my latest appointment earlier this month, my regular doctor told me that I don't have enough hormones right now to produce a lining in my uterus every month, but my body thinks I should be having a period so it's trying to expel blood in my uterus that isn't there. Ha - I'm confused at this point what is really the cause, but I'll just say it's from lessening hormones and hormonal swings. Of course, it varies from month to month, which is the 'fun' part, I guess. Not. : /

2 Likes Save    
doey47

don't know what i'd do with out this sight to check in on to keep my sanity about this all! so, missed my June period as well. Come on already. just wish i could have one so i can quit freaking out about it. i start imagining every little muscle twitch as something else! good Lord , we've used condoms all the time, one time, like 2 days before i expected my first pill free period my husband went in without a condom, however yanked out long before the big event. so of course, i think, well??? but i know better. i am just so impatient i guess, 3 missed periods. breasts have not been swollen, and i've actually been losing weight not gaining it, so i need to settle down. from reading all the other topics, it seems not abnormal to miss this many cycles. i should have gotten off the pill long time ago! i told my sis to do the same, she's 4 years younger and of course thinks its just fine to be on yet, she's 43 and her doctor said the same thing as mine had, stay on till menopause, that was until my blood pressure went up and i had weird dizzy spells. oh well, thanks for letting me vent!

2 Likes Save    
MissEdee

I signed up for an account just to leave a message and say thank you thank you so much for even posting the question! I'm on day 2 of what looks like must be a phantom period, and I'd never heard of such a thing. I'm dizzy, pounding heart, night sweats, hot flashes, and bloated to high heaven. These are some of the worst cramps i've ever had! Usually it takes 3 Alleve to bring them down a notch so I can function, and it hasn't made a damn dent. I've been having the other symptoms for a few years now, but this is the first time I've ever felt like I was having a period with absolutely nothing to show for it. Someone else in this thread said she'd rather have cramps with a period than without, and I couldn't agree more. If I'm gonna suffer like this, I'd at least like to have something to show for it! Yeesh!! I'm so grateful for this thread!!

My big question is, does this count as a missed period? They've been wacky the last 4 or 5 years, but I haven't missed one yet. Once you start missing them, is that truly the beginning of the end or do I have another 5 years of this crap ahead of me? Ugh! If we got little to no info on our periods when we hit puberty, there's even less info for this crap!

Again - thanks so much - so grateful to have stumbled on this thread!!

2 Likes Save    
doey47

you didn't say how old you were but your probably in the same boat at some of us out here with the phantom stuff going on. i have not had any periods since i got off the pill in March. always lots of cramping off and on through the month. just no period. still wish i'd have one. then i'd feel like myself again.

2 Likes Save    
geoblewis

I've not experienced any menstrual bleeding in several months. At first I would get cramps, breast tenderness, bloating and carb cravings like the usual signs of the impending bleeding, but then nothing happened. This all slowly diminished over time. Now I just get bloating and cravings, and one most likely feeds the other.

2 Likes Save    
doey47

well I went officially 6 months without a period after giving up the Pill. finally got a period 3 days ago. nothing horrible but am basically happy for it. just makes me feel a bit more like my normal self again. who knows if they'll be regular again or not, but will take it month at a time. Just for anyone out there who has dealt with getting off the pill after so many years, to let you know, it can take quite some time for your body to adjust itself.plenty of cramps and about 3 weeks before i started i got super sore sensitive nipples, hard to even take a shower cuz just a brush past with the soap bar was too much. now that i've got my period, its finally getting better. onward i go down this fun path of peri.

1 Like Save    
Tricia31

Appreciate these posts so much...I have never heard of 'phantom periods', but have been experiencing them lately. Did not understand what was going on! Haven't had cramps or cravings like these in years. Also experiencing hot flashes and night sweats...yay! : (

Save    
ibfroggin

"phantom periords" have been happening to me about every other day.. driving me crazy... cramping like your going to start your period, but nothing there.. is there any relief out there..???

2 Likes Save    
kazoo123

I had phantom periods for probably the last year before hitting menopause. In fact I still have them occasionally now! I think that the hormones are winding down but they are still subject to bumping up and down to some degree, just not enough to produce a period. I've found the cramping with the phantom periods can be worse than with a real period, but ibuprofen helps.

2 Likes Save    
dee_can1

Quote: MissEdee, from Aug 12 - yikes - I haven't checked the thread in awhile. Hopefully MissEdee is still reading : ) "My big question is, does this count as a missed period? They've been wacky the last 4 or 5 years, but I haven't missed one yet. Once you start missing them, is that truly the beginning of the end or do I have another 5 years of this crap ahead of me? Ugh! If we got little to no info on our periods when we hit puberty, there's even less info for this crap!"

I would say that cramping without having an actual period (ie. bleeding) would count as a missed period.

Also, to update on my situation, I haven't had a period now since January, and I can happily report that I haven't been experiencing the bad cramping (w/o bleeding) that I was having when I first started the thread. So I'd say the 'phantom periods' lasted about a year or two for me. Hopefully this is typical. I've noticed some very slight cramping in the last week or so, but nothing like it was before. Hopefully it stays this way, knock on wood.

Also, I've had my very first hot flashes ever in the last 6 - 9 months. They haven't been really bad - just short time periods where I'll get (almost pleasantly) warm all over, and have to 'fan' myself, then a couple of minutes later I feel cold.

I'm at the point where I actually don't want to have any more periods to be honest. So if I'm 'done' it'll be a relief in a way. I just turned 50 last month, which made me feel a little sad. But, I saw a sign last week at a dentist office that said, "I'm not 50, I'm 49.95". Gave me a chuckle.

3 Likes Save    
LovelyThoughts

Wow I a, so glad I found this thread! I've been having those exact symptoms although I am still having mostly regular periods...for about the whole week before I start the cramping and bloating is horrible! It also seems when these steady cramps are happening I feel like I have to urinate all the time...cramps stop...so does the urge to go. I'm glad I know what it's all probably from.

1 Like Save    
sla1

I am in the same boat. I do not have cramping but my back hurts. I have always been lucky when it came to PMS, I very seldom had many symptoms. I have not had a period of any kind since May. I skipped Dec of last year and had strange and irregular periods since. VERY, VERY light now nothing. I am enjoying it other than feeling pregnant. I started hot flashes about a year ago but they only lasted for a total of 5 min around the same time every night. I just got over being hot all the time to feeling normal again.

1 Like Save    
wannabdone

I have missed or skipped periods for over 13 mos and then went on vacation and had the period of my life. Came home and since May of this year have had these "phantom periods", just cramps but no period or spotting. The cramps are annoying for sure. Can anyone tell me if spotting occurs during these phantom periods? This month there was a bit of spotting...should I go into the doctor or is this normal?

1 Like Save    
Saturnluvr

I am so glad I found this thread!!! I have not had a period for 5 years...and for the last 2 days I've had menstrual cramping and no period. I thought these days were gone! I have a doc appt. friday, so I will be asking about this! I like the term "phantom period"...no better way to describe the feeling.

1 Like Save    
llambrix

Well, this is the first time I have had this issue so I Googled it and found this site, VERY informative. I am 51 and have been having very heavy periods and peri-menopausal symptoms for the past 8 years. Yay (not!). This is the first time I have had cramping for over a week (when I was due), the usual back pain, irritability, fatigue and no period! Now I'm over the usual mental period stuff but still having cramping. I take ibuprofen and it helps. But the cramps keep coming back, very weird and unusual for me (I have had severe periods for the last 8 years as well). I would LOVE it if that means I'm close to being done with this nonsense, but this waiting and running to the restroom every few hours is driving me nuts! SO glad that I'm not alone .. that helps a little.

1 Like Save    
MissEdee

Just to follow up, I forgot to mention in my earlier comment (has it really been over a year? Wow!) that I'm in my early 40s and will be 44 in a couple of months.

I finally got a better doctor - regular and gyno - and I'm definitely in peri-menopause. I had an issue in September where, uh, let's just say my doctor thought I might have miscarried (I hadn't, I wasn't pregnant, but that's just how nasty it had gotten). My new doctor and my new gyno both discovered my uterus seemed to be shaped a little weird (heterogeneous shape) and it turned out I had a couple of polyps hanging out in there. I had a hysteroscopic polypectomy with a d&c, and then she placed a Mirena IUD. I tried birth control pills off and on for years, but they make my heart race and send my blood pressure through the roof. Anyway, I'm supposed to wait a few months so my body can figure it out and then see how I feel with the IUD. Already I can tell a difference in that my period is much, much lighter and my cramps are far more tolerable. She took 100% of my lining during the d&c and had it all tested - all came back negative for bad stuff, but said my hormones are really, really low. Not surprising, because I've never been pregnant.

Looking forward to feeling semi-human again! This peri thing really sucks!

1 Like Save    
radmom

I too, just signed up so I could post here! Thank goodness I found this! I'm starting this whole peri menopausal thing, and it's driving me crazy! I went without a period for about 3 months, but then I had a period (not heavy like they usually were thank God) that lasted non stop from July until December!! Then it stopped, and now I'm having cramps that even 4 Advil won't touch! My doctor told me my progesterone and something else (testosterone?) were low, and prescribed hormones. I took them for about 4 months, and that's when the Never-Ending Period started, so I stopped. I know I have fibroids, my gyn said that menopause would shrink them due to lack of hormones (so why was I taking hormones??), but I'm still waiting for that to happen. I'm wondering if the fibroids are coming out, because sometimes I see a clot with a fabric/woven appearance, and I wonder if it's a piece of a fibroid, or if it was pressed against a fibroid. Any ideas?? Btw, I just turned 48. I'm adopted, so I don't know what's "normal" for women in my family.

2 Likes Save    
Deb_Marie

I am hoping for some answers here from real women...I have been in full menopause 2 years already and expected my symptoms would be getting over soon..I thought I was coming through fairly well..so foggy days..a couple hot flashes, but nothing terrible. NOW it seems I am finally getting more symptoms! Is this normal? Not the bed soaking kind-but a lot more hot flashes-and now I know what the irritation for no reason means! Also about a year before FULL menopause I was diagnosed with a thyroid condition and had all those wonderful symptoms--which are VERY similar if you look them up! Now I am wondering if it wasn't really the peri-menopause..? I even let them radiate my thyroid--ONLY because two (male) specialist couldn't figure out why it wasn't "normal" and didn't respond the way they expected from their tests and treatments--said it would be easier to regulate if I had no thyroid and they could give me a pill everyday for the rest o my life--now I am wondering--wouldn't even a male doctor understand about menopause syptoms-maybe it wasn't REALLY my thyroid--I am thinking of suing for mal-practice! HELP!

Save    
angelswed

I am so glad I found this forum, I have been experiencing the same thing first started when I missed one period then had a ugly messy heavy period then I was spot on time for two more periods then it's coming up 3 months with no period (I'm close to being 46) and keep having the cramping feeling like periods about ready to start sometimes like I'm on a period but no flow, my husband had a vasectomy 20+ years ago and last month I was negative on two pregnancy tests (took them for piece of mind) so I can't be pregnant... when i think back more symptoms of perimenopause have been happening for a while.

Save    
tmpickup

Well, I see no one has posted on here in awhile. I found it interesting reading though. I've been having night sweats since about age 36. My period has been somewhat "clotty," for lack of a better word, for the past couple of years. The last 6 months to a year it went from the regular 28 days to 26. A few months ago I had it at day 17. The next one was at day 45, then back to 26. Today I am at day 54. Been having the phantom cramping and low back pain non-stop now for awhile. I am definitely ready to move on to the next phase. I keep praying that I don't get a period. I had a tubal years ago so I'm not really worried about pregnancy, but I did take a test just for peace of mind. Oh, I will be 49 in April!

Save    
tamos6904

This is been me for the last two years!
I skipped several Months then they would start again. The pain would be there every single time with or without the bleeding. they used to be really really bad, I've had bad cramps my whole life than two years ago it all changed either I would have bleeding or I wouldn't have bleeding but every month I still had the pain.

I also started experiencing not hot flashes but what I called tropical breezes!
They laugh at me at work because I would say " hey do you feel the tropical breeze blowing through here?" Lol

One week before my annual physical last year my cramps ware so bad I was in bed and shaking it hurts so bad. When I saw the doctor the next week for the physical I asked him about it and he actually put me on a medicine called fluoxetine I take it on days 15 through 28 of my period and it has been a lifesaver!

As a precaution I had the blood work done and an ultrasound and everything came back fine. This is peri menopause, I'm 47 btw. I have limited medical background with this. I can tell you that taking one or two Aleve is not going to stop the pain you need at least up to 800 mg and that has to be a prescription strength from your doctor and that has helped me a lot as well.

With the 800 mg you can take three a day no more than that or it will harm your liver. Something else that helps and I have not been able to find out why is just plain hot tea....no sugar no honey....just plain hot tea I use Lipton and it works.

Keep some sort of diary, pay attention to your body. Write the symptoms down so that you know when you're approaching when you're going to have the pain and You will know what to do. I have a day planner and keep all my information there.

As usual this event dictates my life and I schedule my life accordingly.
it sucks but I have had to my whole life.

I don't plan anything around that event, I do not do my exercises during that and I just take it easy cause that's the only way I can get through it.
I even have freezer meals in the freezer for that time I just don't cook, I take it easy, I sleep in, whatever it takes.

Make sure that you are getting your nutritional needs, your vitamin D and calcium, vitamin B complex helps with energy and a good multivitamin I take every day. I found that taking those really do help!

There Is an online website called MyFitnessPal they also have an app and by keeping track of what you eat nutritionally you'll be able to tell the difference in how you feel as well. I am a big advocate for that site! A lot of people use it to lose weight but I use it to keep up with my nutritional needs through the day, it really does help!

I hope this has helped someone!

Tonia 47

1 Like Save    
blacky1

It has been been quite funny reading the predicaments that we women are going through. It's time to pass the torch to the men for the next segment of our lives, but of course we know that can't happen. LOL
I'm 56 yrs old and I'm still having all the problems I'm reading here. I have been having wicked cramping for the past year especially since I have switched to taking natural hormones -Estrogel 1 pump pm and Prometrium 100mg at bedtime. I was was having severe hot flashes and sweats night and day and after 3 1/2 yrs I decided to try natural hormones. At first I took 1 pump of estrogel at night for the 1st 15 days then added in prometrium for the next 15 days. This stopped the hot flushes and sweats almost immediately. I had a good night sleep the 1st night in I don't know how long. The next few weeks were up and down but eventually my body got into a rhythm and I was back to having periods with painful cramps back like when I was 16. I couldn't handle this. I didn't know which was worse the painful periods again or hot flashes and sweats. Saw both my family dr. and Gyno. She suggested I try taking the estrogel and prometrium on a daily bases together at bedtime. So I have been doing this now for almost the year.She said it may take 3-4 months for body to to stop spotting and regulate.I gave it 6 months and I'm still waiting for the regulate part. Any day now!! I have now been having wicked cramping with backaches, loose BM's somtimes nausea with the spotting. I'm getting tried with all of this.!! I see the Dr. soon and will discuss this further. I'm not interested in upping the dosages. The lowest the better and I'm on it till I'm 60 then off. That's the plan anyways.
So that's my 2 cents worth, Ladies.

1 Like Save    
Kari Olar

I am so glad we have this site so I know I am not alone. I am going to be 50 this year and have probably been going through perimenopause for about five years now. I get the cramping with no bleeding too. I missed my first period in 2009. I am on HRT and the only symptom it relieves are the hot flashes and night sweats. I wish it would take away my fatigue and irritability too. I hate it because at least when I do have a period, I know the symptoms are going to go away soon. Now I just have PMS 24/7, what's up with that and when, for the love of god does it get better? Thanks for all the posts!!

Save    
Kari Olar

BTW, I am a self employed garden designer and I used to get so excited to get up and work everyday. I now have to drag myself out of bed. I work for a little bit and then I feel so tired, I have to go back to bed. I have been on an antidepressant for twelve years now and I told my doctor that it just isn't working anymore. He told me its still working but put me on a HRT instead. I still feel like crap. I just want to cry. Sorry for all the negativity. I think it could also be that I don't sleep at night either? I am going back to the doc for some ambien.

Save    
flossygirl

Been looking for a while for any info re cramping, I'm 48 in May, and have been going out of my mind past few weeks thinking all sorts about the cramps, been googling ALOT, and I suspected it was related to the menopause, I've been on pill since I was 18, different ones, but the doc put me on combined pill about 7 years ago because I was getting migraines in the pill free weeks on the others pills, and I wish I'd been on the combined years ago, the migraines VANISHED, which was fab, but my periods also vanished, have had one or two in the past few years, but I've only just noticed the cramping and I thought it was because I was thinking about it a lot cos I've been highly stressed having lost my Mum recently so I put it all down to stress. I seem to be able to think of nothing else but the cramping and I know I need to occupy my mind elsewhere , just difficult at the moment, but it's just GREAT that I know I'm not alone with these symptoms, I have a doc apt on 4 April so will ask questions then, but I feel MASSIVELY relieved that it's nothing more sinister, been having flushes and night sweats for a few years, and have always had mood swings, lol, so no change there then .... I'm just glad I came across this page, you've really put my mind at rest, I've read EVERY SINGLE comment, and wish u all the best ..... oh the joys of being a women!!!!!! (❉◠‿◠)

Save    
Deeders

I'm 49 and just missed my first period. It felt like was I going to start, I had cramps and a back ache but I ovulated instead. It's been over 2 weeks and I still have cramps and a back ache. I called my Dr for an appt and he said that if I usually had bad periods that menopause will be bad......Great!
My friends that have gone through it didn't have my issues and the rest are younger than me. I had no one to talk to. so happy to find this!!

Save    
Shanghai-LK

Like many women here I am so relieved to have read these posting and I am not the only one suffering these phantom cramps.

I am an expat living in Shanghai for the past 11 years. I started these cramps 2 years ago (I am 47), went to the doctor. After ultra sound, CT Scan, pelvic exams and blood test, they cannot find what's wrong with me. Just told me I may be stress and asked to take it easy. This is China and you dont know if it is truely "nothing" wrong or just incompetance of doctors here.

This is miserable. In my case, the cramps seem to last longer and longer, of course no flow. I also gained weight when I actually ate less. Exercise helps and I am quite active. But sometimes the pain is so severe you cannot do much. Last night I had a heating pad on my left side and took Advil. The pain did not go away.

It is comforting to know I am not the only one. I am also grateful with technology that I can communicate to the western word.

Save    
PinkBeach69

I just turned 50 and am glad I have found this site. I have been in peri menopause now for many many years. I never had periods in my 20's and once I hit 30 it was like someone opened the flood gates. After I turned 40, the periods started coming on twice a month. I have now not had a period since March. In March, it was so bad, I was in bed for 3 days. Now, I have a terrible yeast infection and the worst cramps ever and NO PERIOD. God the cramps are HORRIBLE but , no blood. This is all so horrific I don't even know what to say. The yeast, the itching, the cramps. My jobs are affected. I look very very young for my age and I am a waitress. Being a moody and sick waitress does not bring in money.

Tired of all of this :(

Save    
PMac49

Hello! I'm happy to have found these posts. I'm 49, soon to be 50. I am on a very low dose birth control which has helped significantly to ease some of the perimenopause symptoms. My last 4 cycles have been slight with cramping and only spotting if that. Do you call that a period. However, this cycle is insanely painful. The cramps are horrible along with headaches and back pain to where it hurts to cough. I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Has anyone else ever experienced this. I'm miserable!!!

Save    
PMac49

Hello! I'm happy to have found these posts. I'm 49, soon to be 50. I am on a very low dose birth control which has helped significantly to ease some of the perimenopause symptoms. My last 4 cycles have been slight with cramping and only spotting if that. Do you call that a period. However, this cycle is insanely painful. The cramps are horrible along with headaches and back pain to where it hurts to cough. I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Has anyone else ever experienced this. I'm miserable!!!

Save    
VickiP61

I too am super glad to find this thread- I'm 53 and have had hot flashes for about 3 years- About a year & 1/2 ago I had 2-3 heavy flow periods & have been heavier than normal ever since. Have just missed 2 periods but now have these cramps with the non period. And major bloating, back pain, gas. And an odd body odor! (noticed that about 8 months ago) That sounds weird, but it is what it is... like my regular deodorant even smells different on my body & is not quite as effective... Have not been on the pill for 20 years, so no history with that. Just straight up peri-menopause... Ha! Fun times... Thanks for posting, ladies!

1 Like Save    
charto712

I am experiencing cramping i am a week late with period. Going crazy! !!! I knoe I am not pregnant. My friends ask me if its possible. I've been have shortened cycles. I need help!!!

Save    
Katie46

Hi! I will be 46 in April and this is the FIRST time I have missed my period. I think anyway. Unfortunately, I already threw away last years calendar that I was tracking my cycle on, and now I forget when my last one started. However, I do believe that I am about 2 weeks late. I have been cramping and having all my 'normal' symptoms of starting, but alas, no flow. Driving me crazy thinking there is a possibility of pregnancy!!!! Lord knows I cannot do this again at age 46. My only baby is now 22. Do you have any idea how terrified I am to think the possibility is there?! My doctor took me off birth control at age 35. So since, my husband and I have been playing Russian Roulette. But it has worked for the last 21 years. I have not yet tried a home test to see, but I have heard and read, about all the false positives/ false negatives. It will take about 2 mos to get into see my doctor and I just don't want to wait that long. I do not take any hormones and have been pretty regular since I was 9. Yes.. 9 years old!!! This possible missed flow is really upsetting to me! Stressing me out beyond words. Any ideas/suggestions? My mother, God bless her, just tells me to wait it out. That it is probably just my age finally catching up to me. Not what I want to hear. If I could just have THIS one, I promise I will take better care to not have the possible scare later..... empty wish??? All my signs of having my period are here and have been for 2 weeks. Cramping, headaches, lower back pain and breast soreness. All typical for me and way typical of pregnancy. I do NOT remember these symptoms when I was pregnant with my son those many years ago. Why is it NOT coming?! Frustrated beyond belief.

Save    
ninnie47

Hi all
I am 47 and have always had heavy, but regular periods.
Last year they started to shift a little. 5 days early or 5 days late. I missed in November and had one in December. Now I am late, had quite a lot of watery discharge and have had some spotting....Last night I was up with cramps, but still no proper period. Just a little bit of spotting. Does this sound like typical perimenopause?
Thanks.....

Save    
drexeluniv

Wow, I am so glad I just came across this while searching for answers online. I am 51 and just had my first missed cycle this month, yet have been having the most gosh awful cramping of my life that doesn't seem to end and I was really starting to worry. The past few months I had some slight changes in my cycle with it coming a bit sooner and the days lasting changing, but this month I swore each time I went to the bathroom it was going to have come, only to find no bleeding still...yet I had all other symptoms that I always had. Then the past 4 days I have had the worst cramping of my life which is saying a lot as I have always had bad cycles with cramping. I have fibroids which I had been hoping would shrink after menopause but the cramps are much worse on my left side where there is more fibroids so I guess that must factor in somehow. All I know is that I am in a newer relationship where we are ready for sex and yet I am in agony right now and don't know how it is going to affect sex with these pains being so bad. What has everyone done in regards to having sex when the cramps are so bad? Just take pain medicine first and hope for the best? I don't want our first time me being in agony between the cramps and fibroids but at this point I feel like they are never going to end. I have had my cycle since I was 9 years old and after 42 years of horrible cycles, ready to just be done with it, yet I'd take having cycles again if I could stop having this insane cramping. So glad to hear I am not alone but wish there was something definitive that could help us all instead of just waiting for it to be over.

Save    
llambrix

ninnie47 - that is exactly what I am going through right now and why I am on here again ... anyone out there have the same thing? Cramps and spotting but nothing else?

Save    
suzzy47

HI.yes i am going through the same thing.im 47 well almost 48..

Last month my periods were so light (light pink in colour) .i never had that before. Not like a normal period at all. I am now 2 weeks late . Ive had really bad cramping

and back pain . I feel as if im going to have a period but all ive had is some spotting.. Im so worried. Any advice!!

Save    
maci1970

I signed up just to be able to comment. OMG this is a dream come true to find this site. I am experiencing the same thing as many of you. I've been having had been having phantom symptoms the past week...severe cramps, crab cravings, fatigue, but no period. It's extremely frustrating. I've been taking my normal menstrual medicine for the discomfort, but I am glad to find that I'm not crazy!! lol! This has been extremely frustrating and the lack of information is very scary.

1 Like Save    
Lori Fortune

I have been experienceing the same thing. I have been in perimenopause since I was 45 and I am 54 I went 11 months with no period two years ago then got one in the twelve month and it was very heavy and painful I couldn't get out of bed. The period lasted for 11 days. Then after that I didn't get one again for another 9 months and it was barely anything. Now I have gone for another 7 months and I am feeling bloated, crampy, my boobs hurt, and my ovaries hurt and no blood been like this for two weeks. I can't take hormones because I had cancer when I was younger and it would be too risky for me, so I have been taking natural supplements to help with hot flashes it only helps a little but I still get the flashes. However the hot flashes stopped because of the feeling that a period is trying to happen. It has messed with my emotions and well being I don't know whether I am coming or going so to speak. I wish there was a magic pill but doctors say it's part of life and normal and that we just have to get thru it. Ugh! It sucks, but I just do the best I can.

Save    
pdh18

Needed to add to this thread - I am 53 and have not had my period regularly for at least 2 years. I went over a year without it and then got it and now it's been 6 months without it however, I like so many other people have these "fantom cramps" and they have been making me crazy. I've had 2 sonograms to look for ovarian cysts, a uteran biopsy and am happy that nothing was found but I'm so frustrated. Glad I know i'm not alone.

Save    
ldiff

There are so many listed symptoms of menopause and yet hardly anything about these symptoms from which many women are suffering, to the point that doctors are carrying out many tests and not considering that phantom periods might be a usual part of the menopause. I'm 48 and had to start preventive medication for migraines that increased to several each month as I hurtle towards menopause. The meds have reduced my migraines in number and severity and I found this thread because I just had my first phantom period but hadn't heard of these before, and I wondered if my new medication had affected anything. Nice to know it's probably just one of the normal, rubbish menopause symptoms. Horrified to discover that tinnitus, worse eye sight etc might also be on the cards. There must be something to look forward to!

Save    
giulia613

So glad I also found this board. "phantom periods" wow!!!! I've been cramping like crazy and last night I woke up totally soaked in sweat. . No period since Sept 2013... Couple of months ago I heard the worse soar boobs... This is NO fun!! Anyone go to the dr. to get a definite prognosis??? I'll tell you though I read on a site just before this, signs of menopause, and I'll tell you I hit so far everything but e on the list.. The eyesight, weight gain and losing hair which I will freak if any of the 3 occur.

1 Like Save    
j9sgarden

I'm buying a pregnancy test in the morning but pray to God these are phantom period symptoms, which term I just learned tonight!!! I've never missed a period and have been like a clock since I was 13, but am now 3 days late. Constant cramping, some hot flashes, very tender nipples, running to the bathroom every hour.... I haven't conceived since I was 27 and now will be 49 in 2 weeks. But this feeling pregnant is still quite fresh in my memory. I'm a grandma twice and still very sexually active and loving it, and never considered birth control since I never have used it and my boyfriend has a low sperm count. This thread gives me hope that I'm just experiencing something normal instead of a consequence of my stupidity.

Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

I went to Google, put in my age and that I had cramps with no blood, this popped up. I am so glad it did. Thank you all for posting here.

1 Like Save    
Beth Johnson

On the same page with almost all commenting in this specific area. The typical symptoms given for perimenopause and the menopausal transition are FAR too vague in guide books or on main Internet sites for medical information. This is probably because they represent averages rather than exceptions. However, there are a lot of the exceptions that occur for many women.

I did the same as Debra, above, and here I am. Same type symptoms, age 46, however, this is the first time in a while I have skipped a period. My perimenopausal symptoms have been getting worse with time. Mood, depression during PMS time, and often right before I start I have 12-24 hours that I think I am really losing it!

SO GLAD to know this happens to others and that there is a large variability in symptoms and severity during this time.

Thank you all for your thoughts, comments and questions!!! They are very helpful!!

2 Likes Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

Beth, I am 54 and you have the same symptoms. Luckily my family is being patient!

Save    
merlinmadre

At 51 I haven't had a period in almost 12 months so I'm now menopausal. 51 is supposed to be the average for menopause.I do have phantom periods every other day. I walk my dogs almost everyday I find that contributes to these phantom periods the more active I am the more phantom periods. I think exercise lowers hormones even more but I won't stop walking my dogs. I had been in perimenopause since the age of 39 and I had all the symptoms. I have a lot of stomach burning due to declining stomach acid so I chew a few DGL and occasionally use Betaine Hydrocloride by Thorne Research called Bio-Gest I also find that taking maca and Rainbow lite food based once a day Menopause Multi along with primrose oil helps a great deal. No one really brings up the digestion issues that much so I thought I would to help my fellow ladies deal with that side which can be hell. I sleep with a small fan pointed at my face for the hot flashes it works. I have never been on any type of hormones I had a tubal when I was in my late twenties after I had my two children.

2 Likes Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

thank you merlinmadre

Save    
djandwilliam

Hi Ladies;

I haven't had a period in 3 years and for the last 6 moths have had uterine cramping. It is painful, and I had it last nite from just when I was falling to sleep, to shortly after I woke up. I'm on pain Medes for other health problems, and it doesn't even touch it. Also, Whenever I have them, I don't have spotting, I have a darkened, old blood looking, stain on my underwear. I am on Norethindrone for 2 yrs, to prevent unusual hemorrhaging from happening. I just had a transvaginal sonogram, and it shows severe thickening of the uterine wall. I haven't gone in for the biopsy yet. Can the thickening of the wall cause the uterine cramping? I also have severe upset stomachs and digestive problems at this time. Good point, Merlinmadre! I am 55. If anyone wants to know, there's a great blog/focus group site called Patientslikeme, that has lots of different medical input from patients. Love you guys, for your help and dialogue.

3 Likes Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

I have no advice for you sweetie. It saddens me that you have so much pain.

Save    
lisalovecat101

awesome to hear all of these real stories. I am just turning 48 , being monitored for my large fibroids- thankfully no major issues. however recently I have been experiencing some hot flashes and have not has a period since May 1st. Except for the stupid cramping which I am a bit relieved to find out is normal, I am happy to no longer have a period.I see my gyno tomorrow to review my latest ultrasound, so it will be a timely appointment ! I definitely have a lot of questions for him.

Save    
asha_satheesh2004

I just turned 49 and have just had what I now realise is a "phantom" period. I have awful camps like a period was coming on, only it never did. I am glad I found this site and to know that I am not alone.

1 Like Save    
User

Such a relief to know I am not alone! 48 years old and after decades of easy periods I am now struggling with severe daily cramping and continuous spotting. My gynae says my fibroids are big and the cause of the pain and fluctuating hormones just make it all crazy. Dr says only hysterectomy will solve the problem, but it will sort itself our after menopause. I am not sure I can endure this pain for a few more years, but really not sure about having the surgery. Can anyone who experienced this recommend the surgery as being the best option?

Save    
mydarlin1962

Glad to hear about "phantom cramps". I'm 53 and just celebrated 12 months no period!! But as I lay here in bed with back cramps and my ovaries cramping I'm starting to wonder! So awesome to know I'm not alone in this. I've spent the last 3-4 years (Before these last 12 months) skipping periods, lite flow, heavy flow, hot flashes, mood swings, no sex drive, can't sleep, you name it I've dealt with it. So it's been great to be period free and considered post menopausal but cramps NOW? Thank you so very much to all of you for sharing. It has really helped me know that I'm not crazy!

2 Likes Save    
JeVonna Ramsey

This site has given me peace of mind. I turned 40 this past May, and I wasn't sure what was going on with me. So far it's been three months without a menstrual period. I have been extremely forgetful, and emotionally off the charts. My boyfriend and kids are afraid of me, Lol. My body gets quick flashes of heat for a couple of minutes, and last week I was so bloated, I coukd only fit into yoga pants. That was a bad week. The best part is the painful cramping I am going through right now as I type this. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor.

1 Like Save    
MDC Mom

Hey Ladies!!! It seems like we are all experiencing some of the same
things and maybe a few unique. I too, came across these posts while
searching to see if cramps and no period were common or if I should be
concerned. I will be 49 in November and although I have differing
opinions from my OB/GYN and my regular doctor, I have been
peri-menopausal for a couple of years. As I got older my periods became
lighter and shorter. A few years ago they slowly started getting wacky. I
was always one of those that started on the day I was due or a day or 2
before then they started coming later and later. It started as a few
days late, then a week late, then back to being early, then late and for
almost a year they were back to normal. Then this year hit and I can't
count on anything my body does!! I skip periods or are weeks late, I do
not get night sweats, BUT I sweat buckets at the slightest amount of
exertion. Before I was one of those women that gently glistened after
running a mile NOW waterfalls just pushing a trash can out to the curb
or unloading groceries!!! When I first started all of this my OB/GYN put
me on hormones and I gained 30 lbs in 6 months! NO THANK YOU, I have a
hard enough time on my own keeping my weight down, so I discontinued
taking them. I have noticed the signs of depression, but I have dealt
with that for years, No mood swings, thank goodness and have experienced
a few hot flashes, but nothing major. Then the last few months I
noticed I was having cramps like I was going to start my period right
around the time I was due, but never started. It seems once my cycle
would have been over the cramps go away. They are uncomfortable, but not
painful and I am praying they do not become painful. It hasn't been
horrible so far except for the constant sweating and the fact that my
sleep is complete ciaos! I will go to bed at midnight or a little later
and by 3 am I'm up and wide awake, unable to sleep the rest of the day!!
At this point I can pretty much suck it up and just go day by day, but
if anyone knows something to stop the sweating, I would love to hear
from you!! GIRL POWER.........ugh!!

Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

That is the best first step, speak to your Dr. I hope it doesn't last long for you.

Save    
bbpatton1

All I can say is thank Jesus for ALL of you!

1 Like Save    
bbpatton1

I'd like to add something that may be helpful: it's been very warm here and the ocean has been warmer than usual so I've been swimming a lot. It really seems to help with the cramps. I don't really notice them when I'm in the water and the exercise is good!

1 Like Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

Thank Jesus, let me second that. I have heard that exercise helps with cramps and that swimming is the best exercise.

Save    
lisalovecat101

update... after 2.5 months of no period... after a week of cramps, a period, heavy for one of the days and more cramps. living with cramps for 2 weeks per month off and on is horrible. I am now monitoring it closer and will hope for a better month this month :/. cramps just make me miserable and grumpy.

1 Like Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

lisalovecat101 me too, and the little mini hot flashes off and on 24 hours a day...uuuggghhhh

1 Like Save    
Shari Slough

Omg! I feel so horrible today. My period for several months have been all over the chart and then a few normal ones. This month all symptoms present but no period. Well extremely extremely light. These cramps an bloating are the worst! I hope it isn't this bad tomorrow, I have to work thru this. Ugh! Here's a symptom that's not usual but is a perimenopause symptom. It's happened a few times before my period would start but it feels like bugs crawling in my hair and on my legs along with a pin prickling feeling. When that first happened I thought I had lice or something wrong with me but I got a bright idea an googled it as a peri symptom and yep it sure can be. One month I had no symptoms, no period, I had energy no mood swings. Wow! Haven't felt that good for such a long stretch. Haven't seen it since. Can't take any herbal remedies for any length of time because it works great for a little while then all the sudden it turns against me and it makes it worse. Then I'm back to square one. So sick of it but what do ya do but suck it up and try not to kill anyone. Lol

2 Likes Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

My cramps and backache are back and strong enough to bother me. They aren't the phantom ones. This will be my first perios since June. My hot flashes have gone from severe to mild to none. Yeah!

Save    
drsheribpredmore

Of all the posts you'd matched my experience the most. I turn 49 jan. Than you.

Save    
littlezoep

Hi all this has been a great read thank you. I have been missing my periods hit and miss for a year every two to three months before that I was getting horrendous night sweats, aching body, weakness breathless. Now I getting bad lower back pain with period cramps but nothing in months not even per menstrual breast pain like I have always had. Im only 30 been to doctors a few time blood tests show no reason. Both my mum and aunt went through early menopause late 30's so I think it is this I feel like rubbish most of the time and last month had burning cheeks never had before. Im a bit confused as doctors just fob me off. Does this sound like menopause?

1 Like Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

It seems like menopause to me littlezoep. :(

Save    
TinaL

I swear this is never going to end! I am going to be 53 and i am still getting periods! They are very sporadic and irregular but they are still showing up!!! I just had it two weeks ago and i feel like i am going to get it again any minute! Crampy, weird bowel issues, low back ache, tired!!! I am trying to do this the healthy way by exercising and eating right but i am a mess..and cranky??? My poor family! When does it end???

1 Like Save    
karenleespree

Me too! I'm 48 just skipped a period after a long (45 days) cycle, and cramping (low grade) like mad.

Save    
karenleespree

I'll just add that I've only ever taken the pill for a month in my 20's and couldn't deal with how it made me feel.

Save    
sawdust9

Hi ladies. I stumbled on this forum googling menopause and cramps. Interesting that it's such a phenomenon. I have some info that might help some of you, I hope. I live in an area that has a lot of imported doctors. Mostly South African, mostly trained in the UK for any specialties. I had 2- 6 week periods at the beginning of the year. I was 48 at the time. GP sent me to ob/gyn. Did all the important tests, all came back normal. Conclusion- menopause. Answer- if erratic bleeding continues the menera (not sure of spelling) iud. I, so far, have not been in and gotten it. I actually haven't had a period for 2 months now and the phantom pains are making me wonder if it might be helpful so I am going to go talk to him. A good friend of mine was suffering horrible symptoms and strongly praises the menera. It's only progesterone, no estrogen. Lasts 5 years which the doctor said should get me thru the worst maybe thru it all. No estrogen can be important for some. My daughter almost died from pancreatitis, caused by a transplant med, and can't have estrogen. Maybe something for some to look into :)

1 Like Save    
sawdust9

Its me again after doc appointment. I had the name of iud wrong it's Merina, still not sure of spelling lol. So- it will definitely help with regulating heavy bleeding but it could possibly make cramping worse. No perfect answer. So at the risk of sounding like little miss sunshine, follow Dory and 'just keep swimming, swimming'. Lol. A good sense of humor and a good perspective on good, bad and evil will get you through.....and wine. Lots of wine

2 Likes Save    
j9sgarden

Haha!! Yes, wine. I don't think I'm ready for this, girls. Wasn't it just yesterday I started shaving my legs? This hormone stuff is for old ladies!

Save    
susan_griffin24

hi my name is susan i have been suffering no periods for very long time i have all the symptoms ,I wish i could find some help for this.

Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

sawdust9 an understanding husband and kids helps too. I am so grumpy lately and snap at them for th least thing...

Save    
djandwilliam

Dee_Can1, I'M GOING TO CAP THIS TO GET UR ATTENTION. YOU'VE HAD SO MANY RESPONSES. YES, THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ARE RIGHT, IT IS LIKE A PHANTOM PERIOD, AND THEY CAN BE PAINFUL. *****THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART, LET UR GYNECOLOGIST KNOW, THEY SHOULD ORDER AN ULTRASOUND AND THEN POSSIBLY DO A SIMPLE BIOPSY, TO CHECK FOR A THICKENING UTERINE WALL AND OTHER THINGS THAT CAN CAUSE THE CRAMPING. PLEASE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. ALWAYS BETTER TO CHECK ON THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT. BEEN THERE, IN 2015. THEY'RE STILL OBSERVING THINGS. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER.

ROSWELL

4 Likes Save     Thanked by dee_can1
sawdust9

I think letting your doc know is obvious.... And hopefully he/she is smart and orders a biopsy and ultrasound blood work too.

Beyond that it's a matter of learning how to get through it. Christine Northrop has a great book. AFTER the doc- read Chrisines book, yoga or other excersice, a hobby that's just for YOUR head/space, wine and friends/family to talk and vent too. If your married, let him know how mucked up you feel on occasion but don't expect him to fully understand, he's a guy, but he wil have more patients, hopefully. Know it's all part of life, being a woman. Attitude will get you through. Also, if it really feels too much, don't be afraid or embarrassed to see your doc about temporarily taking something like Zoloft. As important as feeling good physically is,It's not a bad thing to want to feel good mentally too. It can be tough to get control physically and mentally but we women are strong and can do it. Feel sad, feel bad or angry. Then put on your big girl panties and get trough it. You can do it

Save    
dee_can1

Hi, I'm dee_can, the op. Thank you Roswell for your advice and concern, it's very heartwarming. All the best to you with your situation. I check back in every now and then and read all of the responses. It has made me feel reassured to know there are women out there going through similar symptoms.

I'm 52 years old now. Trying to remember the sequence of events is a bit of a problem (memory goes too a bit, I hate to say! ha)... I ended up having an ultrasound back then, and the only thing it showed was that my uterus was basically flopped over. He recommended a hysterectomy, but I declined. So life went on, and as of this November, I will be 2 years without a period, so I'm in menopause now. Right before entering menopause, I had a period that lasted 4 months straight. I went to the gynaecologist, and he recommended a D&C (biopsy of the whole uterus) and ablation, plus an ultrasound. I decided on just the D&C because the ablation scared me. The ultrasound showed no thickening of the uterus, and the biopsy was negative. Thank goodness.

I had a very light period after the D&C for a couple of days. Then it stopped. And, I haven't had a period since. BUT, I do still have some cramping now and then. I believe since my hormones are low, I'm having issues with slight prolapse, but I've been trying to work on strengthening my pelvic area. And, I exercise - mainly walking, which I feel is my lifeline. The cramps still seem to get worse if I over exert myself. Another thing I'm dealing with that has been devastating is vaginal dryness. It isn't quite as bad as the beginning of menopause, but my vagina isn't the same as it was. It's something I try not to dwell on, but I find it pretty difficult. Oh, and my bladder is sensitive now. I tried bioidentical hormones, but they give me heartburn, so I decided to go the natural route and take no hormones at all. I did have hot flashes off & on, too. But now, they aren't quite as noticeable. I am trying to keep a positive attitude, like sawdust suggests. And yes, you just have to get through it. There isn't any other option - lol.

Anyway, I'm happy to see all of the responses, and I hope just reading about what all of us are going through, and what we have in common, is helpful to each and everyone one of you.

4 Likes Save    
djandwilliam

Hi Dee &other Women;

I haven't gone the hysterectomy or d&c route, yet. I have been on Norethindrone for the last 4 years, to prevent unpredictable hemorrhaging. It also is suppose to help prevent thickening of the uterine wall. It hasn't done that for me ; but. It might of been worse if I wasn't on it. If anyone has excessive or uncontrollable bleeding, ask ur gynecologist about medication to help with it. I am on Nexium,so,that probably helps with the heartburn. I'm so sorry to hear about your problems. I believe that a lot of us women have not been informed about vaginal changes. Maybe it should be included with the birds and the bees talk! That part of my life has been devastating since age 50. I couldn't find a single article online about major changes that cause sex to be almost nonexistent. There are some new drugs out there for us that just went on the market within the last 6 mths. Unfortunately, another pill to take. That is another subject to speak to our gynecologist, the new medication. Good luck to you, Dee, and to all the other women out there. If only men knew what we go through!

Roswell

2 Likes Save     Thanked by dee_can1
jane_mckerroll

Hi. I am 51 and have had a few years of nasty peri symptoms. I was on the pill for 28 years or so and in my late forties when I went off of it, I felt just terrible. The fatigue was crushing for two weeks out of a month and the cramping was severe for 2 weeks out of a month. I've never had much bleeding and that didn't change. So i actually went back on the pill and I didn't even stop for a period break, I just took it straight through for about 3-4 months. Then I stopped it again and my period never came back. It was heaven. I thought wow, I am in menopause already and I love it woohoo. I didn't have a period for over 7 months and felt great. Then bam, a few months ago all the symptoms returned. I am so exhausted all day and I'm getting at least 7 1/2 hours sleep, thanks to melatonin. But its not like a lack of sleep kind of tired, its a lead body, every limb is tired kind of tired, plus a foggy head. I also have cramps again that almost double me over some days that go on for two weeks. I've just gone back on a low dose birth control pill. The cramping stopped almost immediately but the fatigue has not abated....

1 Like Save    
jane_mckerroll

...after reading a few more posts I take note of the digestion issue. I have had GERD issues for about a year and had no idea it could be related as well. Also, I asked my GP about an IUD, so she wanted to do a biopsy first to make sure there wasn't anything else going on in there. However, since I've never had children, she couldn't even get the little tool up there to get a swab....of course I was experiencing terrible cramps at the time, so her efforts were not pleasant for me. So I'm probably not going to be able to get an IUD anyway because of the small opening, but I'm waiting for gyno appointment to discuss alternatives.

Save    
hgroark77

I am almost 39 years old and I am only getting periods every 60 days now. Just wondering if it is possible to be approaching menopause this young. My mother was about 41 when she hit it. I am on blood pressure and anxiety medication and I thought this could be the cause, but since I still get periods, I have kind of ruled that out. My doctor drew bloodwork in July to see if I was going into menopause but everything indicated otherwise. Up until June my cycle came every 28 days and now it's 60 days.

Save    
lisalovecat101

its so hard to say... my update is I didn't have a period for 4 months, then got one then 2 months later another then 6 weeks later another then about 5 weeks another. I am 48. I guess I can just hope the stretch between gets longer again :). I find the cramps are not as bad/long as when I had the 4 months of missed periods but still had cramps for days and intermittently which was a pain, literally!

Save    
mom71664

This has been driving me crazy. I am 51 and have been having cramps for 3 weeks with no period. Prior to this I was having heavier than usual periods. I have always been light and 3-4 days my entire life. The last year has been a roller coaster. I have been having hot flashes for years and wake up soaking wet at night. It's enough to make you think you are losing your mind.

1 Like Save    
kathsmith1904

Hello ladies how reassuring to read all these comments of phantom periods!! Ive gone 16months without a period but have been suffering with awful cramps not sure if ovary cramps as spent a night in hospital in january with excruciating right sided pain I expected a ruptured ovary but nothing showed in internal, exams, swabs,bloods and ultra sounds. Havent suffered with that sort of pain since but none the less uncomfortable cramping on both sides and pelvic. Have just been suffering with lower back pain that has had me off work. Anyone know if high FSH levels will cause this as mine was 110 earlier in the year apparently it can keep rising and if it s high would that cause these pains as it tries to stimulate the ovaries?? Thank you for reading. And thank goodness for this website.

1 Like Save    
jane_mckerroll

I know hormones are controversial, but after severe cramping, I went back on a low dose birth control pill and the pain subsided overnight! it was that immediate. I don't want it to be a long term solution, but quite a positive dramatic result

Save    
kathsmith1904

I'm thinking maybe doing the same jane. Wears you down doesn't it ?did you have a lot of cramping then? Any back aches etc . Glad you have relief now what BCP is it progesterone only?

Save    
Karen Wilson FitzGerald

I am so glad I found this site. It makes me feel normal. I and 52 and I have regular periods very heavy. No I have been cramping for about 8 days and not period. I should be in the middle of my cycle. Is this normal I will be going to the doctor tomorrow. I hope it is just menopause because I think I can handle that better. I just hate feeling this way I have no energy and just feel bloated and crampy all the time. Thanks for listening I will follow up after the doctor appointment

1 Like Save    
jane_mckerroll

Hi Kathsmith. I didn't have back pain, but the pelvic cramps were wild. I would jerk forward sometimes as if I was being stuck with something sharp! It went on, in varying degrees for a couple weeks, whether I was bleeding or not. I'll get the name of the pill when I'm back home and provide it. The almost immediate disappearance of the cramps was remarkable. I still get the fatigue for 2 weeks out of 4 but at least I'm sleeping! :). Hopefully this will all pass for us soon!

2 Likes Save    
kathsmith1904

Thanks Jane as I,m toying with the idea of trying something to alleviate this discomfort so would be of help thank you. Did you suffer many months with the pain before you started taking the pill and also if you don't mind me asking how long have you gone ( presuming no cycle any more) I seem to be in a flare up at the minute Im 15months into menopause and have had heart palps 3nights last week, tired beyond anything also yet last few nights wide awake!! Its all very draining isnt it.....

1 Like Save    
Karen Wilson FitzGerald

I am so glad that people are having the same symptoms as me. I am in so much pain right now. I don't want to do anything.

Save    
jane_mckerroll

I had the cramps about a year ago. They lasted for at least 2 weeks at a time for a few months (along with the fatigue), so I went on a low does birth control at that time and my period just stopped. I stopped taking the pill a month or 2 later and my period and any symptoms did not come back. I thought yippee, I'm through menopause and it was not so bad. I had a lovely 7 months of feeling great and no period and then boom, a couple months ago the period started again and then the 2nd period brought the cramps from hell...worse than a year ago. So that's why I tried the pill again. This time it helped the cramps, but I actually bled for almost two weeks with my period...ugh. So I'm not sure what is in store going forward....There certainly doesn't seem to be a standard. We all seem to have different experiences. I have not had children and I read somewhere that that can make this transition worse, for what its worth.

Save    
jane_mckerroll

the pill i am taking is alysena. it has estrogen and progestin

Save    
kathsmith1904

You have had a rough time Jane. I use to get awful cramps with my cycle after the birth of my daughter. In fact think the whole peri menopause started.was late in life having her atv39 am 49 now and think my hormones were depleting and pregnancy just wiped them out. Not sure if any connection to no children as know women who suffer cramps in both situations. It's horrendous whatever isn't it. I've never had so many aches pains etc is a truly tough time isn't it. I will look into the alysena may mention BCP I asked her if having a high FSH level would cause the cramps (which would expect mine was 110 ) she said No!! The women I know who have ivf treatment always mention excruciating cramps and they are given FSH ?? So conflicting isn't it. Just wish they knew a bit more had answers. Are you in UK Jane?

1 Like Save    
jane_mckerroll

Hi, no I'm in Canada. Good Luck and thanks for your supportive words. I'm going back to my doctor tomorrow too.

Save    
gennyc64

Hi Ladies. I appreciate all of your comments. I was relieved to know my symptoms were common. I have just felt crappy. I'm 51, I have always had regular monthly cycles since I was 10 years old. I've been in peri-menopause since I was 38. I thought the doctor was nuts when she said that, I felt I was too young. I tried lots of herbs for different symptoms. Which seem to take the edge off. None to prepare me for this, no cycle but cramps for 10- 15 days, exhausted, sensitive, and crabby. This has been happening for 2 months. I too share the sentiment, I'd rather have a period, because it means there's an end in sight and I'll feel better soon. I don't feel like myself, I really hate this! I'm sorry we're all going through this, but I so appreciate knowing there's more people I could relate to. Thank you for sharing!

4 Likes Save    
strawberrygirl1

Hmmm, this is all so interesting. I'm in the same boat with all you girls and appreciate your comments so very much. I'm 48, been having the phantom cramps like crazy between each period for months now. I've kept a diary for the last almost 2 years of my periods because after being extremely predictable and on-time since I was 12, they suddenly became rather erratic. Now it's the end of December and I haven't had a period since October 1st--I've had a couple cycles this year that were 90-96 days. But this time at the end of November I had a tiny bit of spotting along with the cramping, but no period. Then mid-December had a bit of old blood present for about 6 days (was that a period???) which I researched and found that "old blood", just a little bit of brown blood, is also a common thing for perimeno. That and some watery discharge, odorless and thin, are both considered normal for this time of life. But the cramps are wearing me to the nub and causing stress because it makes me worry about cancer--I'm paranoid about it already anyway, so it's easy to push me over the edge and all my fears come out at night to play, worrying me to death when I should be sleeping. No other symptoms though--well, my husband gets on my nerves a bit more than usual, but no real mood swings, thankfully, and no hot flashes or vaginal dryness--as far as I know...been married 27 years and don't feel super lovey dovey these days much anyway. I do things naturally, so I keep in touch with my naturopath who regulates my hormones about every 6 months--that really helps! If I could stop worrying about cancer all the time, this wouldn't be so bad, but all this cramping and back aches and digestive troubles gives me nightmares. I'm trying to find a gyno for a full exam but am currently on a waiting list. (small town, few good doctors, and I really prefer a female doc to a male...I hate gynos...) Ugh.

4 Likes Save    
User

I am five years post menopausal. In my early years of post menopause, I would occasionally get cramping, with no discharge. Very occasionally, I still get a twinge of cramps now and again.

4 Likes Save    
zemona2002

Like many of you, thank you for this site. This makes my ninth month without a period. But today, I have the worst what I now know are "phantom cramps". I went on line to see what was going on! So thank you, thank you for this dialog! Oh I will be 51 next month. Praying this too shall pass

4 Likes Save    
User

I don't want to rain on your parade, zemona, but I got as far out as 9 months and got a period again...it was the last one, however!

2 Likes Save    
Lis

Thanks for all the comments Ladies.

Very helpful.

Nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Save    
crampyandcranky

Thought I would add my voice to this topic. I am 41 and also came here after searching cramps and no (or delayed) period.

Back in October 2015 I stopped having periods and was diagnosed by blood test as menopausal. I also had ultra sounds and an internal scan to confirm nothing sinister happening. All clear.

68 days later period returned. It took forever to actually come, the cramping was horrific and it lasted a full week (over the last few years they have only been 2 days). There was a small amount of very watery looking pink blood for several days and then the floodgates opened. Won't get too graphic with that.

Now three weeks later (up until the 68 day break they have been coming every three weeks without fail for years), I have had three days of awful cramping which tablets are only just managing. I actually sat on the sofa with a water bottle last night which I've never resorted to in my life. A very faint pink smear a few times (which you would miss if you weren't looking hard). Nothing looking like blood, but based on last time it's probably coming. (Eventually)

I've always suffered from cramps but usually the cramping doesn't start till the period does and then it's over within a day and a half.

I am so tired and cranky and not getting a great deal of sympathy at home. Which I guess is why I'm over here having a vent!

I never had children (by choice) and I have worked full time my whole life and I'm just finding it difficult at the moment.

I am also having an Ibs flare and I have fibromyalgia and low thyroid (on medication) which I imagine also doesn't help.

I think if this keeps up I will be back at the doctors shortly taking whatever he wants to give me!

Like others here, I don't have any solutions, but it was helpful to read others experiences so thought I would add mine.

2 Likes Save    
ceriphill

I am 42 and i consider myself very lucky as all these years i have never really suffered with my periods -never regular no major bleed, only last 2-3days and no pain, up until now omg! the cramps stop me in my tracks its like i want to push to give birth! It takes my breath away it hurts so much! Then 2 days later nothing. It sucks being a woman we get mood swings ,flushes , periods, cramps, bloating, weight gain, menapause, and men who don't get it and don't care. !

Save    
stonecoldnik

OMG, I'm so glad to know that I'm not crazy. I started the perimenopause last year about April, then all of a sudden in Nov., things started going wacky. My periods changed to spotting in Feb. this year almost every other day, by the middle to end of Feb. I was fatigued, food not completely digesting, nasuea, irritable, tender breasts, and cramping. I will be 49 in a few months and in the last two weeks I have been completely and utterly miserable.

Doctors say that it's that time and choices are what I have read a lot of of you stating about birth control and other ways to control the issues. What is said that not one doctor has any other advice accept to deal with it. I could've came up with that conclusion for free. I actually had one male doctor tell me "that when I was 39 about to turn 40 that I hadn't seen anything yet, just wait every year something new was going to change". I didn't find it funny then and I seriously don't find it funny now. I've been cramping for two going on three weeks at different pain levels, to the one I'm at right now which is constantly almost balled up & in tears.

My husband has been patient and understanding. I seriously thank the Lord for that, because I understand that so many aren't. I've been reading & researching when I can trying to find natural remedies to help, because I never remember my grandma or great aunt going thru this when I was younger. I'm not understanding how I never remember ever seeing them complain or in pain. I try to remember if there were things that I can remember them doing or eating, because this is insane to have to be like this day to day. I pray some one adds a really good old fashioned remedy that could really help a lot of us dealing with the pain.

I've had cramps with my periods for like forever, but this is worse. To have no period, but cramps all the time.

3 Likes Save    
wadiahf

Hey everyone!! I'm 40 with my first (and only) child who's 16 months. My period was here and there the first year after childbirth. Now , I haven't seen one since January and have been cramping for the past two weeks. In addition, I was having major hot flashes for the past few months. They've actually stopped within the last couple of weeks which is one plus. But I had never heard of cramping as a symptom of menopause. My mother started on her late 30's. I guess we have a lot more interesting things to experience!!

Save    
scruffell23

Save    
Tracey

Hi sisters, I'm 48 years old, and no, you aren't going crazy. The descriptions online of what most perimenopause symptoms are like don't go into enough detail. My periods started to get wonky at 46-47, just slightly, a tad early or late. I haven't bled for 3 months now, since February....but the cramps. Oh sweet Lord. Why? The past 2 days have been agony, with cramps and bloating like I was 16 again. But no period.

Yes, phantom periods. You are not alone.

I was in denial, because hey, I'm Gen X, and this just won't happen to us, right? Because I'm still 35 and don't feel almost 50. But no, it's happening, and I really hope some blood shows up soon, because baby I wanna shed this stuff right now. God knows what will come out, could be a whole dining set for all I know.

Bloated, tender breasts, cramps in both sides of my uterus, and my underwire bra is trying to murder me like never before. I only had very brief hot flashes. See, we have all been taught about the GD hot flashes, and if we only have a couple of them early on, it doesn't seem like much is going on. But the cramps and bloating and no show period is a huge deal, much more than flashes for me.

Luckily, I just happened to have a new Gyno appointment made for next week. I don't plan on going on birth control or hormones, but maybe something will help for the in between time.

Screw this.

God bless.

2 Likes Save    
jane_mckerroll

Tracy, you made me laugh, which is what we need! Thanks for your perspective. The dining set reference made me laugh out loud.

1 Like Save    
Tracey

I'm glad Jane! ;-) Something rustic for my patio would be good. I'll let you know what happens.

1 Like Save    
karenleespree

Hi! I read this thread last August (its now late May) when I experienced my first phantom cramping and no period. After two cycles like that with worst cramping as if my uterus might drop, my period returned. It's returned every month either at 21 days or shorter, sometimes longer. Now at the start of summer, my phantom cramping has returned ( two weeks late), no much bloating, or sore breasts, with hot flashes waking me at 4 or 5 am, nausea, anxiety. Debilitating really because the next day I'm an exhausted mess. Hello... So nice everyone is here sharing their stories! Why is it so hard to find information?

Today I stocked up on black cohosh, primrose oil, and sepia ( homeopathy)

i'll update my progress. :).

1 Like Save    
karenleespree

Forgot to mention that I'll be 49 in August.

Save    
wenner34

Hi all, iam 41 i have been having hot flashes going on a year now. But only at night just like someone took a water hose and drenched me with it. But thats another story. My question is: for a week now i have been going through really bad cramping stomach, back, and even my legs. I feel like iam going start but have not yet. This is all new to me because i have really never suffered with this kind of cramping before... has anyone gone through what is happening to me??

1 Like Save    
Michele Midkiff

I have felt terrible and exhausted for about 3 years. Just this month had a full blood work up and everything came back perfect. I have had some heavy periods lately, thinking I may be starting perimenopause. This month I had horrible cramps with back and leg pain and no period. I googled the info only find I have every possible symptom of perimenopause. I've been in denial I guess. I have had a stroke in the past so I've been told I cannot take any hormone replacement of any kind because of increase risk of another stroke. Any suggestions from anyone? I can't deal with this for years. No one should have to.

Save    
Tara McLaughlin Giroud

I had a little laugh to myself -- never heard of this site but googled cramps and no period, perimenopause and this came up. Which is awesome, but then I saw it was for people interested in home design. ha ha. Maybe it's for all the women who went peri-rage on their homes and now have holes in the wall. ;) Anyway, so glad to find this. I am 41 and this all started for me at 39 (or maybe earlier but I had a couple of babies around that time so thought it was PPD) Anyway, my symptoms have been drenching night sweats before my periods, fluctuating periods that got shorter and heavier, the periods themselves would be bleed-stop-bleed for a few days, horrible rage in the two weeks before my period, but I went on a chasteberry supplement that helped with that a bunch. In the past few months, that doesn't seem to be doing the trick anymore. Sadness, rage, now periods have bounced down to 17 days. This month I've had lots of cramps, swollen and painful breasts, fatigue and a couple of days of big rage (my kids are actually afraid :( as am I) and I keep waiting for it to come and now at day 29 with only a tiny bit of spotting a couple of days ago, nothing. I'm just in this cloud of denial on the one hand, I'm 41, this can't be happening now. I'm also happy to hear an explanation for the rage that makes me feel like I'm not losing my mind. What I want to know is why more women really aren't homicidal maniacs? How can human beings feel so absolutely out of control and yet find a way to get through it? We are awesome! ha ha ( I need to pump myself up with pride before I go and scream at my 3 year old for breathing funny) Thanks for sharing all of your stories!

1 Like Save    
victoria_padilla12

I am 47 and am going through Premenopause I think I haven't had a period in 4 month's but my body feel's like it want's to start everyday. The boating and cramping is horrible. Not even ibuprofen is helping. I think my emotions go like up and down. I don't want to go to the Dr. because she makes me feel like I'm just wasting her time or what I'm saying how I'm feeling is not important or ridiculous. She tells me that I'm depressed! Boy is she way off lol. I have so much goodness in my life :) . I just don't know how to go through this or how I can feel just a little better...any suggestions?

Save    
penny_graff

I am currently 51, and I have the bloating and cramps that you describe. What I found after going to many doctors that helps me is progesterone cream. You don't need a doctors prescription, I order mine from Amazon.com. Prior to using it I would have clumping periods that bypassed tampons (not fun) and soaked through pads. I also would get massive migraines (another wonderful side effect of peri-menopause). Before the really bad cramps I used to rub the cream into my calves, because one of the reviewers on Amazon said it had a funny smell, so she did that because you can't smell it on your calves. Now when I have the bad cramps I rub the cream into my lower stomach, above my pubic area and I take Advil. That pretty much mostly takes care of everything for me. If you google peri-menopause and progesterone cream, you will see lots of women go to doctors and get no relief. I am including the link to Amazon. If for some reason it does not redirect you correctly, go to Amazon and search on Progest. It was such a simple solution to a big problem.

Progest at Amazon

Save    
ceriphill

Hi again everyone. Well just to update you I am being treated for arthritis in my hips and they say that it is the cause of all my period pains?????? They are saying that it is secondary pain caused by the hips funny I only get really bad pain just before I am due on weather I have a period or not! I give up. An ultra sound was done and all OK yet I'm still in pain. I asked for a historectamy and he just laughed at me. Would he find it funny if he had to put up with it!

Do vitamins Work? Medication of any kind just makes me retain water ?

Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/

I do not have 8 of these symptoms. All the others come and go and I feel I am going crazy sometimes. My husband and children are trying to be understanding and patient.

Save    
blackwoodla

So glad to have found this forum! I feel like I'm going nuts sometimes lately. I am 48 and suspect I have been in perimenopause for a two years now.

Wildly changing moods (and I have always been pretty balanced), night sweats & hot flashes for a year were a first clue. My Gyn prescribed a progesterone only pill for my birth control a couple years ago, and my life-long migraines were completely gone. (Yay! Happy consequence.) I'm wondering if the pill has also lessened my other symptoms.

Anyway, recently my periods have been either non-existent or totally unpredictable. There have been some months with I guess it would be called spotting, but it's more like a blob of old blood one day, nothing for a few days then another blob. This week I have had that plus strong menstrual cramps today. Haven't had those in years, so I took some ibuprofen, grabbed the heating pad, and got online to see if this is normal. So relieved to hear I am not alone.

Other symptoms I have had which I suspect may be related are 1) other muscle cramping and aches even though I am well hydrated and do vinyasa or bikram yoga five days a week and 2) an occasional sharp pain from what I think is my right ovary. Anyone else have either of those?

Save    
kdarcher21

Hi I am glad I have found this too. I have been in perimenopause sine 2012 and now have not had a period since January. All was ok until July this year when I got a water infection since then it's gone down hill. I just didn't feel right so went to the doctors who arranged an ultrasound, this showed I had 2 fibroids about 3 & 4cms which I understand not to much to worry about they couldn't find my ovaries so this month have had a than transvaginal ultrasound, this time the found my right ovary to have multiple cyst on it which I have been told is common, they still couldn't see my left ovary, what did find is my uterus wall lining has increased from 4mm in the first ultrasound in September to now 7mm which I have been told is normal. I am worried about this as I have read that this can lead to cancer, can anyone help. I am getting terrible period cramps but to other symptoms.

1 Like Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

I have no help for you sweetie. If they are telling you that this is all normal. Please, try not to worry.

1 Like Save    
kdarcher21

Thank you x

Save    
dee_can1

I would get a second opinion if you're worried.

Save    
User

Hello, Everyone. I just happened upon this site after the strangest thing happened to me today. I am 51 and still having regular periods. I have no thyroid gland anymore after surgery in 2005 so I take supplemental thyroid. My periods have been some times a week early and sometimes a week later now but the last two days I've had severe cramping in between my periods. The pain this morning while I was taking care of my horse was so bad that I was apparently hyperventilating. By the time I managed to drive myself home I couldn't feel my hands anymore and my fingers wouldn't work. Then my cheeks and my lower jaw went numb and it became harder to speak. Well the doctor suggested I go to the ER so I did. I found out something new. I learned that when you shallow breathe because of anxiety or pain or whatever, your CO2 can throw the levels in your blood off and the numbness and tingling happens. It was scary but I'm glad to know that it wasn't related to stroke or seizure. In all this because of the most severe cramps I've had in years. and I must mention there was very little bleeding so it was all for nothing. LOL

2 Likes Save    
Carol Halligan

I want to say thank you to all of you talking about having cramps that have lasted for several weeks. I am lying in bed feeling sorry for myself, scaring myself witless reading things online I don't want to read about having pain while going through the menopause. Haven't had a period for 4 months now but always suffered badly with them. Like a lot of other people here, I have had flooding and periods all over the place. Why do we only hear about the flashes? I haven't had them at all. I have a dragging pain and a twisting, cramp like feeling in my left side - I think my left ovary. Doctor said to sit it out for a couple of weeks! Cos of my age it's obviously 'just' menopause related. I have pain but that's okay apparently. Thank God for you women here telling me I'm not alone.

3 Likes Save    
crampyandcranky

I commented in 2016 and I've come back to say I never had such a long gap with cramping again. My period came back (bloody hell) so I guess I wasn't menopausal after all and still in peri, despite the blood test that confirmed I was. Currently 43 and still fun times. Period shows up either with a three month break or every two weeks. I have never had the cramping and no period again since posting. I have had cramping for a day before, but it's always come. I wonder if some other posters were the same.

1 Like Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

I haven't had a period since January 2017. A few phantom cramps and other sypmptoms only. For the last few days my breast are so swollen and sore. I dread putting on a taking off my bra. If someone hugs me too tight, I cry from the pain. I am praying that this is the last of it! I'm 56.

1 Like Save    
blacky1

It’s been a long while since I have commented but thought I would update my past few years. I wrote here in 2014 with all the same problems all of us have had. I’m 60 now, and this was the year I thought I would stop using natural HRT. Since I started 4 years ago it was like night and day for my severe hot flashes and night sweats and it still is. I like many of you still get a few spotting and bad cramps. The cramps are less but every now and then they get bad again. I’m dealing with other heath issues and I’m too nervous to upset the apple cart, so to speak with more hot flashes and night sweats again. I know I will have to soon as with any HRT the least amount of time on them the better even natural ones. Once I get this other issue sorted I’ll speak to the doctor and start to wean off or just stop. Not sure which is the best way yet. I will do some research this and see before I start. You would think the golden years really would be nice but I think for most of us we just carry on as best we can.

2 Likes Save    
visitormouse

It's been a while since anyone has commented but this thread has been a lifesaver. I had no idea what was happening to me and my doctor and gyno also couldn't explain it either. I have fibroids but according to them, they shouldn't cause cyclic pain. Anyway, I am 50 and still having regular periods. It lasts about 3 days but the cramping lasts a lot longer, starting usually about 2 days before the bleed and ending only about 12 days later. It's been like this for about a year now. I'm so ready for menopause to arrive. Ibuprofen helps but the pain still takes a toll. This thread has helped to keep me sane. Thanks to the ladies who shared their stories!

2 Likes Save    
HU-172095482

Hi I’m a newby here and just wondering if anyone is still having phantom period pains after about 16 months of no periods, I have hot flushes and get tired occasionally but other than that I feel pretty much ok! Apart from worrying myself to death about everything. But these pains do worry me! they come probably every month and last about a week or just over! just hoping someone can put my mind at rest for a while, I had a hystoscopy ( not sure if that’s how you spell it) uterine biopsy, I am up to date with smear tests, transvaginal scan and ultrasound scan, everything ok at that time?? Please help ?

2 Likes Save    
dee_can1

Keeping in mind, I can't know for sure, but it could be your estrogen is still dropping. I still had pains after I stopped having periods too. It went on for quite awhile, like you're experiencing. The hot flashes eventually diminished though after a couple/few years(!), I'm guessing once my estrogen finally tanked out or stabilized. :( And knock on wood, I don't really experience phantom period anymore. Hopefully that it the reason, and not something more serious - but it sounds like you've been thoroughly tested.

2 Likes Save    
Tracey

I got an update notification on this thread, I posted in 2016 about cramps but no blood, wondering what was going to (if ever) show up (dining set). Who knew a thread on Houzz would be more informative for us than most other places.

Have stopped bleeding except maybe once every 4 to 5 months. Here's another surprise that no one tells you about: the chest muscle pain. The breasts, yes, with tenderness, but if you have large breasts, the actual chest muscles underneath, like you have been lifting weights.

**sigh**

2 Likes Save    
HU-172095482

Thanks so much for your reply dee_can1, yes I’m hoping that’s the reason, I have massive health anxiety since staring on this ridiculous journey and everything is a disaster!

These pains seem to have been going on forever, how Long do you think you suffered with your pain after your last period and did you ever see a doctor about them ?

2 Likes Save    
dee_can1

Tracey, I agree, you can get pains just about anywhere. One of the most painful for me, beside the phantom periods, was urinary tract pain. I'm sure lowering estrogen levels caused that because the tissue is so dependent on estrogen. Also my allergies became worse.

Hu, I can't say for sure, but the pain and hot flashes went on for at least a couple of years off and on. Sorry to say. The only time I saw a doctor was at the beginning when the cramping and steady bleeding started. I had a D&C and biopsy, and everything came out fine. It was 'just' menopause (lowering hormones) in my case. If you are unsure though maybe you could get a second opinion. I wish you well, and I empathize with you.

2 Likes Save    
HU-172095482

Well yes, I can honestly say it’s been something different every couple of months and I’ve put up with it till it passes, but these phantom periods have got me beat! No period for 16 months and I feel worse than ever rather than better, I think I must under estimate these hormones and I thought, stupidly, that once the 12 months with no period was done, I’d feel great again, how wrong I was!!!

Dee_can1 I’m so happy for you that you’re feeling bettter now, now hopefully you can get in with your life again x

2 Likes Save    
Tracey

The pain can be all over. Why were we never told of this?? It's my 51st birthday and I'm literally just finding out about the muscle pains. It feels like I went to the gym every day.

2 Likes Save    
dee_can1

HU, thank you. I also naively used to think that once the periods stop, I'll be free! lol I'm not feeling perfect by any means because I have a couple of autoimmune diseases BUT in relation to the menopause symptoms I was having, things have seemed to settle down. My hormones are still low, but I'm guessing they are more stable. I can't go on replacement hormones either but I think in the long run that's probably for the best because it think it means I would just prolong the inevitable. I remember telling someone about the menopause problems I was having at the time, and they told me that eventually things will steady out. I hope things settle down for you soon. Of course, if they don't, you should probably consider seeing your doctor about it again. Not that I'm giving medical advice, but we are not all the same, and what it might be for me, may not be the same for you.

Tracey, I know what you mean, I was never told what to expect. Maybe that's for the best because I would have been more worried about what was to come! I have a lot of muscle pains because I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid). Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Ha, I ask people that a lot because when I hear they are having certain problems, the first thing I think of is 'thyroid'. Another thing I learned through this though, is that estrogen is a great buffer for things like pain and allergic reactions, etc. I didn't realize how important estrogen/progesterone were until I had none. haha

2 Likes Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

I'm 58 years old. I just had another period. uuuggghhh About 3 days after the period I got the symptons again...cramps, tender breasts puffy belly...My only experince with menopaues is what my Mom went through. She bled heavily for months and the only explanation was menopause.

1 Like Save    
dee_can1

I bled heavily for months before finally going into menopause, too. I had no idea this could happen. I had to have a D&C and biopsy just to make sure it wasn't something more serious than just menopause. Sorry to hear you had a period at 58 years old! And that you're having symptoms again.

1 Like Save    
Tracey

Ridiculous cramps for 2 days now. Like I'm 16 again. Will there be a period, or is this an ovulation? Who the hell knows.

1 Like Save    
Denise Calderon

I hope people are still looking at the posts here because I'm going out of my mind.Its been almost a year since I've had a period and quite often would have cramps,bloating,etccc even with no bleeding.i went for a few months thinking,whew!Finally!3 weeks ago the cramping started again,horrible hot flashes,anxiety through the roof which makes the cramps worse.I suffer from severe anxiety and depression.I wonder if the anxiety along with hormones is doing This to me.I hope everyone is doing well and thanks for letting me vent.btw I'm 53.

2 Likes Save    
Debra Brooks Kapellakis

I have only one period so far this year. I'm 58. I'm very emotional and cry at the drop of a hat. Hang in there. It will pass.

2 Likes Save    
visitormouse

I last posted here in February. In the interim, I've had 2 periods. Both were very light, which is unusual for me. And the cramps have dissipated along with the bleeding. I celebrated until a new 'thing' started. I started getting general indigestion. I have bloating, discomfort, and heartburn. I'm clearly still in peri and I'm looking forward to menopause as I'm ready to get off this rollercoaster.

3 Likes Save    
Margaret Stewart

Hi everyone. I am 51 years old and not had a period in 10 months. Then yesterday bad painful cramps and two small spots of blood on toilet paper no period. I worry about everything. Has this happened to anyone else?

Save    
dee_can1

Hi. It happened to me once. I'm post menopausal for about 5 or 6 years now and it happened about 2 years ago where I had a bit of blood one day, but no period. It hasn't happened again though. If it happens on a regular basis, I would get it checked out. But if it's a one-time thing, it may not be anything to worry about. I'm like you though, I worry about everything too.

Save    
Gennifer Keiser

Wow, I'm so glad (like many others through the years) that I came across this thread! [I'm commenting so I don't lose the page.] I'm 45 and looked up all the same symptoms -- months of no period, cramps, sheer exhaustion, etc. I'm on vacation with my husband and young kids and I slept the entire day away yesterday which is completely unlike me. I'm glad to find out this is normal, but not so thrilled that it can last so many years. Women deserve medals for the stuff we endure! Thanks to the original poster for stepping out and saying something 8 years ago. ❤ Others' shared experiences have proven more beneficial than other resources.

1 Like Save     Thanked by dee_can1
Andrea Kietzman

I'm 46 and feel like I've been going through peri- menapause for at least several years, but just now am having cramps for a few days with no blood yet. I am also really glad to have found this thread-- it seems silly that phantom periods are not usually listed with regular menapausal symptoms. Like everybody else here, I hope it won't last too long.

1 Like Save    
Speshul Kay

Just going to chime in here. I am 52. I found this page when researching cramping with no period and heavy periods during perimenopause. It gave me some peace. But it turns out I actually have cervical cancer. I was diagnosed in mid September. What I thought was perimenopause symptoms were in actual fact cervical cancer symptoms. I likely have had it for possibly upto 2 years and by the time it started to spread these cramps with no period, heavy longer periods started and I assumed it was normal. It was not. I start chemo and radiation Dec 2/19. I was never a huge lover of doctors but I kick myself now. My advice get regular check ups. This has been a frigging scary nightmare. Get any irregularities checked. Find a great woman's clinic and just go. They just may have saved my life. I let some unfortunate past unsavory physicians visits keep me from regular check ups. For the love of God get regular pelvic exams. Let me be your cautionary tale. Learn from my situation. I have 5 weeks of weekly chemo and five days a week of radiation to enjoy over the holidays. Us ladies have to be strong and brave and proactive with our health. I have a great oncology team ready to attack this cancer. Take care and please heed my warning....if something seems off go see a great gynecologist. Take care all of you.

1 Like Save    
j9sgarden

I’m so sorry!! Do you mind telling us if you had any other symptoms? What made you finally go to the doctor?

1 Like Save    
Speshul Kay

Hello j9sgarden, so as for other symptoms I also had discharge that I thought was Bacterial Vaginosis. I don’t do well with antibiotics and I heard this can also rectify itself. It just was not. Also I had lost my sister this past summer and had to move in with my mother and brother to help us all cope with her loss. So my issues took a back seat. We were all grieving. I started noticing the cramps were getting worse. I was getting flooding during my period for a couple days which I also researched on the web happens to some women during perimenopause with the hormone fluctuations. I was getting my period around every 45 days or so. So there was just a lot of stress in my life and I started researching doctors and finally settled on one though I was so apprehensive and nervous about the appt. Of course the morning I was to go my flooding/period came on full force. The doctor was amazing and still wanted to do a pelvic exam. She spotted the large mass right away and sent me directly to the ER. I was there 15 hrs had 4 pelvic exams and flooded through each one. It was not a good day. They ended up doing a biopsy while I was there. I was beyond frightened during all of it. They basically said it was cancer and a large mass but needed to find out what kind. Since then it has been a roller coaster ride of scans and procedures of not knowing exactly what I was facing. I still have a PET SCAN on the Nov 26. This week we set up and prepare the radiation treatments. I get the tiny tattoos they use to make sure they get the exact areas to treat. I will get radiation 5 days a week for 5 weeks. Every Monday of those 5 weeks I will also get Chemo. The chemo increases/helps the radiation work better. There are 3 different nausea drugs taken on different schedules to really eliminate nausea. They say I may lose some hair but it will be minimal. My chemo drug is Cisplatin. They will also do some radiation internally but start doing it from the outside first. It will fry the ovaries so I will immediately go into menopause. I hope this sheds some light on symptoms and what made me finally go to the doctor. Any other questions I am glad and open to answering. But like I said please just find a Womens Clinic and check any and every concern you may have. Mine was cervical cancer your may not be. But a dedicated womens clinic will make sure you get a thorough examination. Take care ladies.

Save     Thanked by dee_can1
visitormouse

So it's been about a year since my first post. There was a few months when the cramps took a vacation along with my periods. However, my periods returned and the cramping did as well. As time has gone by, the pain has moderated and does not linger as long. There are other perimenopause issues that I struggle with but at least this one issue seems to be waning. I hope I can feel normal again once I'm in menopause.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Period Details Keep History Alive in Portland
Modern functionality and doubled square footage bring a 1910 kitchen into the present while respecting its past
Full Story
Decorating Guides Houzz Tour: Victorian With a Modern Outlook
Layering in furnishings from style eras up to the present gives a period home’s decor a collected-over-time look
Full Story
Bathroom Design 12 Designer Tips to Make a Small Bathroom Better
Ensure your small bathroom is comfortable, not cramped, by using every inch wisely
Full Story
Our well qualified and certified team of hard working craftsman and specialists have a proven record of quality... Read More