Hot flashes stop after only 5 months

jenn

I started having very mild hot flashes in mid-February. Not too bad at first, just a comfortable warm sensation. Gradually they increased in heat and duration until late June when, suddenly, they just stopped. It's been three weeks since I had a hot flash. I've had a few very mildly warm sensations that lasted about 2-3 seconds and were so mild I barely noticed them... in fact if I'd never had a hot flash I would not have noticed them at all. Not only that, but I can actually sleep all night again with a light blanket over me.

I regularly exercise, eat a very healthy diet, very little sugar, no alcohol, and just 1 cup of regular coffee in the morning. I don't take HRT or any other medications.

Is it common for them to stop after only 5 months? Or do they briefly stop, and then start again? Our weather has been hot (upper 90s, almost 100), so weather has nothing to do with this.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mclarke

Jenn --

I have no advice for you, but I'll say this -- I could have written your post. I don't even have the one cup of coffee in the morning, LOL.

Could we have escaped so lightly?

I'm interested to read any replies...

Save    
jenn

mclarke, very interesting that our experience and our healthy lifestyle are the same! Interesting, but not a big surprise -- after all, that's why we do this, right? :-)

Save    
cindy57

I went all last winter without a flash, thinking Oh Boy my cohosh and soy is working yea!. However, when hot weather returned in April the flashes came back making me believe my herbal remedy wasn't what kept them away at all it was just the cold weather. I'm now just taking Estroven for the vitamins and estrace vaginal cream for dryness and the hot flashes are being kept at bay again. Is it the meds or just my body who knows, I'm just glad I'm not flashing because it's hot here too (mid 90's)

Cindy 57

Save    
squirrelspur

I hate to be a grinch and maybe you have escaped the hot flashes but I have had hot flashes on and off for a couple years - I thought they had stopped but they returned two times after flash-free periods of months.

However everyone is different so I hope that your hot flashes stay away! Mine have been the worst ever in our hot temps recently - perhaps it is the contrast between our temps outside and air conditioning inside that is confusing my hypothalamus!

I do lead a healthy lifestyle but admit I do need my 2 c. of strong coffee in the morning and maybe it is time to give it up (sob).

Save    
catherinet

I'm going to be a party-pooper too.
You probably ovulated or something and your hormones were at a level that made you not have a hotflash.
I haven't had a period for 4 years, and I'm still doing funky things off and on.
Hopefully, you're just one of the lucky ones and its all over for you!

Save    
TwoMama4

I started having hot flashes over a year ago and they have not let up much at all! I was on HRT but had to stop before having surgery in December. I was doing better for awhile after that and was SO relieved as I could not imagine having hot flashes while recovering from major surgery! I haven't gone back on the HRT and I'm very tempted to try something else. I have 2-3 hot flashes each hour and wake several times at night because of them. Doesn't make for very restful nights for sure! Still nice to know I'm not alone in this! Thanks ladies!

Save    
lucy1au

I just wanted to let ladies know that my flashes have stopped, thank god its been an awful time. A combination of chinese medicine with acupuncture and liver flushes have helped me.

Save    
HU-43867366

I’ve been searching this because my hot flushes stopped also.I’ve had them for almost a year when suddenly they disappeared. I haven’t changed anything I was doing. I don’t exercise and eat pretty much everything I’m not proud of it it’s just I haven’t tried

I think we’re just lucky for now

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Spring Citrus Care Reaps Months of Sweet Rewards
Learn how to tend citrus trees in spring and ways to preserve their delicious fruit
Full Story
Life Stop the Toy Takeover by Changing the Way You Think
Make over your approach and get gift givers onboard with your decluttering efforts by providing meaningful toy alternatives
Full Story
Scott Davidson founded Davidson Builders in 1998. Scott graduated from Michigan State with a BS in Construction... Read More