Noticing Perimenopause Symptoms - Armpit Pain?

BunnyWatson

Hi all,

This is my first time posting to this forum. I am turning 40 in a few months and have been noticing some changes that are likely related to perimenopause (i.e. decreased libido, heavier periods, increased anxiety). I've talked to my doctor (gp) and she says I'm too young to be entering perimenopause with which I don't agree. I have an appt with my gyn in a few weeks and I hope to have more of an informative discussion then. Until then, I've been a little concerned with another symptom I've been having for the past month - a sore and aching armpit. It sounds so strange - it feels like a cross between irritation and a pulled muscle in my right armpit. Feels swollen though isn't swollen. Feels irritated though no redness or bumps. No swollen lymph nodes and bloodwork was all normal. Doc sent me for a (3D) mammogram and ultrasound and all was normal. I even went to a breast surgeon for a second opinion and her breast exam and review of the films indicated no concern. I'm exploring the possibility it could be a muscle strain and met with an orthopaedist who thinks it could be that or perhaps pain radiating from a cervical disc herniation. I'm taking oral steroids and starting pt in two weeks which I hope will help. I did read that armpit and breast pain could be a symptom of perimenopause and I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced something similar and what helped or didn't. I'm getting a little worried and am just hoping this goes away soon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SaveComment107Like2
Comments (107)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lifesafreefall

Hi I have the same thing for quite a time now mine is in my left armpit it is like a pulled muscle type pain with bruising feeling. Mine comes and goes. I take paracetamol for a few days and if its too annoying an ibrufen. I also rub deep heat on it which eases it.
It did come in my right arm twice.
I know it is peri related as with all the other crap that goes with this. Havent been drs as lack confidence in any of them. I did go and drag myself there in november2013 for loads of other peri symptoms was told poss peri go get soy and black cosh. Excuse spelling.
Got the soy but cant take the taste.
I am riding the storm out taking multi vits and couple other things.
Each month things change some better some worse but on the whole havent gone totally mad yet :-) i just look forward to the days I am me again and try to ignore the other me who I must say is a tad skittso lol

1 Like Save    
Nancy0925

Hello...I'm new to this as well. For the last few months I have been having ever increasing weird episodes that are never consistent. Since I turned 51 I've skipped a few periods. I am now 35 days late and still have gotten it. I get all kinds of symptoms ranging from brain fog, anxiety attacks, bouts of indigestion, pain in knees, pain in left arm, water retention, feeling like I can't breath, muscle aches and pain, sleeplessness, sometimes cramping. I have gone to the hospital thinking I'm dying because all of s sudden I get shaky, can't breath well and fell like I'm going to pass out but yet all my tests come back normal. Do you ladies find yourself having weird feelings? I hope this doesn't last too long. I feel paranoid about leaving the house anymore...help!

Save    
lifesafreefall

For me full blown stuff started last year I thought I was dying of something.
Was feeling sick for nearly two months wanted to eat but the thought of it made me feel more sick. Anxiety every day. Breathless like my lungs didnt want to work, I know now the anxiety bought this on and made it worse by thinking this is it. I was shopping once and stopped in the middle of the supermarket thinking I cant go any further I need to leave. For this I counted to ten took slow deep breaths told myself to stop being such an idiot. I was standing having a full blown argument with the horrible cow inside me. It worked and I carried on.
I still get anxious but not as often I can mostly tell her to sod off lol sometimes shes persistent but I feel I can win.
Sleepieness is at certain times for this I just go with it I cant sleep during the day never have so I just sit and rest for a bit. Back last year I couldnt even get off the sofa for days on end, I didnt sleep it was like my body was just not up for doing anything. Lifting my limbs and opening my eyes was a constant struggle. Aches in joints knees and elbows were and still are a pain but not as constant as befor.
I couldnt sleep some night was waking hourly.
As each month has passed different things have eased off and I can feel like myself mostly. But a few days each month I feel very negative bad thought well more doom and gloom like something bad will happen. I argue with myself quite a lot lol but it helps me so this is how I deal with it. One month I know I will be me again and I look forward to it. What I did do was make notes of thoughts feelings pains and so on and its surprising how much well all of it relates to the monthly cylce. I can look at it now and say well its that time again so I know why I feel this way. Hope this helps in some way.
It does get easier sometimes some days I feel 47 and not 74 lol

1 Like Save    
lifesafreefall

Oh and the brain fog in the beggining was so bad i couldnt some times string a sentence together. It was like the word was there in my mouth and the brain rearranged it into gobble dee gook and thats how it came out. I just went slong with it halfway through a sentence I forgot what I was saying so just looked at people like its gone will come back to that later. Fortunatley this has eased and i can put five words together at once now without pausing. Lol. It all comes back eventually somethings just take longer.

1 Like Save    
misstori

It helps so much to relate to other women struggling with peri menopause. I'm almost 41 and the last 6 months have been so hard! I recently started taking 10 mg of Lexapro just to try to reduce the constant state of anxiety and obsessive thoughts of doom. It's consuming me and I hate it!!! Last night I paced through the house for hours sweating and restless debating on waking my husband up to go to the ER. Even though I know it's hormonal, I become irrational about what's happening every time. I'm grateful to have found this thread to remind me that I'm not alone. Blessings to all of you and prayers for comfort and peace through this transition.
Tori

2 Likes Save    
hun49

Hi,
I've been coming to this forum for a few years and its been a life saver. I've had all the things you ladies are talking about here and more. My symptoms started at 42 and I was told I had depression! I am now 54 and unfortunately, I still have symptoms that have never improved. I could go on and on but won't bore you.( lol ) However, with regard to the armpit pain, I have to say I haven't had it but, my daughter who is 22, gets it when she uses deodorants containing aluminium and other chemicals ie; if she stays over at a friends and uses their stuff. I stopped using these kinds of deodorants a few years ago and I would recommend everyone do the same. Its really easy to find natural deodorants these days. It may not be the answer to your problem but there's no harm in trying. Stay well everyone x

2 Likes Save    
sharonweston1969

Hi. I have had really bad breast pain and arm painand have convinced myself it's breast cancer. I went to the docs who checked me over and said I'm likely to be premenopausal as I'm 47. I'm suffering terrible anxiety symptoms lump in throat etc. Am booked in for a mammogram as I've decided it's bad. Thanks for listening.

2 Likes Save    
tonyabrooks306

I get those as well. The pain lasts for a few days and then it's gone. I am almost 47.

Save    
tonyabrooks306

lifesafreefall-YES!! I understand you perfectly and I am that way too. I have to tell myself to get a frigging grip! And yes, the brain fog is so bad that I fear I am getting dementia/Alzhmrs. And it just makes the panic attacks worse for me. I wake up at all hours and sleep for a while. There are times when I think I see things and it flips me out. Exhaustion and anxiety on top of each other sucks!

2 Likes Save    
kdiva137

I had the odd armpit pain as well. It eventually went away. In addition, I sometimes get a warm, tingly feeling on my arm or leg along with prickly/bee stinging type pain in various parts of my body. When this all first started, the thought of eating made me nauseous to the point I lost a lot of weight. I also started having anxiety attacks. I've had numerous tests and blood work done which all came back negative. I notice this more now during the time right before my menstrual cycle or during. It is quite annoying. I am 46 and this started 2 yrs ago. I am sure it's perimenopause and/or related to my thyroid even though my levels have been good. Anyone else experiencing these strange, prickly, bee stinging sensations?

2 Likes Save    
Radha Santhapuri

I got same exact symptoms what you have all mentioned . Mammogram is normal dr says every thing is normal . Going crazy with this symptoms .

2 Likes Save    
HU-276869289

Kdiva137,

Are you still getting notifications on this thread? I’ve had the same strange sensations you’ve mentioned. I feel like I must sound crazy whenever I explain them to other people. I hope you get this message, I’d like to know if you’ve correlated it to anything yet?

2 Likes Save    
Amy Hooker

Well, I am here! And I have had that weird armpit thing!!! It is so irritating.. I also had a normal mammogram within the last month or so, no problems.. Now I have the weirdest symptom (this month anyway, it is always changing!!!)..On my right side, just below my rib cage, it fells like a weird pressure, like someone is pushing on it a bit..Not pain just an odd sensation..Does not really matter if I have eaten, slept, walked etc, at least i have not noticed a connection..It has been going on about a week..Not really changing just an uncomfortable feeling..Sorry I cannot be more help, but it helps to know we aren't alone..No one in this house can relate at all, or even my friends..Take care and let me know how you are doing!

2 Likes Save    
HU-817421484

I am 44 and I have the same pain in my left armpit. The right side has pain sometimes but more so the left. I have had a mammogram and an ultrasound and both came back fine. I have no lumps that I can feel and my GYN felt no lumps. I had blood tests done and the only thing that came back is I am anemic and my cholesterol is low. I have contacted a Chinese’s herbalist and have been taking his formulas for a few months but still no relief. The only thing that brings the pain down is ibuprofen for the pain. The Chinese’s herbs have helped with the low iron and cholesterol but not the armpit pain. Very frustrating and I need answers!! These doctors do not know anything!! Ugh!

2 Likes Save    
HU-556821050

I am 48 (49 in January) and also have armpit pain & breast soreness. I was sick with a virus a week or so ago and it felt like it just made my symptoms worse. Now I have joint pain all over and my heat flushing has intesified. I have been on medroxyprogesterone for years for my endometriosis so I haven't a period in probably 5 years or more. Sometimes I just want to stay in bed all day. Probably time for me to call my gyno and see what she thinks. Ugh.

2 Likes Save    
HU-647997376

I am so thankful this thread is still going! I have struggled to understand what the armpit pain is too. I had assumed it was hormonal and related to peri but can’t figure out why it’s so pronounced in just one armpit (my left). I went to my doc yesterday afternoon as the thought of going through the weekend worrying about it was too daunting. All I really need it to have anything terrible ruled out. It all started for me about 4-5 months ago but I have had full blown peri symptoms since 2016 when the first significant episode/symptoms put me in the ER with what I was convinced was a heartattack. Got dismissed with GAD (general anxiety disorder).......I have never had an anxious moment in my life up until that point but have spent the last two years battling with it. The most challenging part of all this is the viscous cycle. You become SO acutely tuned in to every ache, pain, twinge and immediately scour the web for answers (how I discovered this thread, as I’m sure all of you did too) and bingo, it triggers the worry and the anxiety kicks in which in turn exacerbates and seems to magnify the symptoms. I had a mammo and ultrasound back in April and all came back clear but I can’t seem to get any answers on this dull aching, tenderness. As the first post said, it’s like swollen lymph nodes with no swelling, a muscle strain with no injury. I have even had to stop wearing supportive bras as I feel they cut into me and cause the tenderness and pain to increase. Why just the left? So strange. The other odd thing is if I press on the top of my ribs under my armpit, they are extremely tender and sore and even when I stop pressing, they remain sore for quite some time! The ONLY thing I can attribute this too is peri and hormones. My doc yesterday was baffled. Literally baffled. Thinks it’s muscular skeletal and is sending me for X rays next week. I really do think it’s hormone related like all this other crazy sh!@!?*#t !!!! So tired of it. I’m 49 and just wanting some relief. Truly the hardest thing is how the symptoms trigger the fear and doom and the (nonsensical) thoughts that I have a terminal illness and I’m going to die. THATS the most debilitating part. I am sure you’d agree....just tell me it’s something harmless and give me knowledge of what it is and I can deal with it. It’s not knowing.!!! Knowledge really is power with all of this. Just knowing that these bizarre and seemingly unrelated and random symptoms are all harmless and are related to my hormones shifting and I’m not going to drop dead tomorrow and I’ll be fine. Thanks for listening to me ramble on!!! It helps to know I am not the only one out there. And so thankful that this thread has revived. I search (armpit pain and peri) and this thread showed up a few months ago for me and I just revisited it and was so pleased to see there are recent posted and not just the original 2014 ones. Wishing you all Healing thoughts prayers and ANSWERS!!!!

3 Likes Save    
Holly Blair

I feel better after finding this thread and seeing that I'm not alone being 51, perimenopausal (per my endocrinologist) and having recent onset of persistent right armpit pain that is perfectly described in this thread...same as mine. Feels like a strained muscle (but that's unlikely), feels swollen, but it's not, feels like an irritation (and it sure is)! It's persistent but not always painful. Haven't tried ibuprofen yet. Recently had my annual mammogram and it was normal and fine. Just today, after about 3 weeks or more of armpit pain, I decided to make an appointment with my PCP (couldn't get an appointment until Oct 15th so there's a little wait). The pain does radiate at times from my armpit into my right breast. I haven't had a period in 2 months now but that's nothing new. I've been missing them and then I'll bleed like crazy for 2 whole weeks sometimes and then skip a couple of months. Ughhhh! My personal summers are more frequent too (hot flashes). This stuff is definitely no fun at all and it ain't for sissies (yep, I'm a Georgia gal). LOL! Anyway, I'm a little bit concerned because my mom was diagnosed 4 years ago with stage 4 breast cancer and she passed away in January of this year so I panic some when I become symptomatic of almost anything (not to mention that I've been a medical social worker for hospice for the past 10 years - double whammy). Sure do hope the armpit pain is no great cause for concern and is maybe more commonly related to peri-menopause than I've previously been aware of! You guys give me some hope! Prayers and positive thoughts for your situations...I'll look forward to your updates, and I'll keep you posted as well! Good night!

2 Likes Save    
nataliecomer

Wow! This is amazing and brings me some peace. I too have been having right armpit pain. I am 45 and had my mammogram in May...all good. Had surgery for uterine polyp removal and IUD insertion in February and everything went fine. I am at the point where I feel like I add a new doctor every year because of some strange symptom. I will admit I am somewhat of a hypochondriac and go from zero to death in sixty seconds. It's an awful feeling. I can't get out of my own head and have convinced myself this time that it's of course cancer. Just so frustrating because its constantly something...feel like I can't catch a break. As for my armpit pain...it feels dull, sore and achy and I constantly look for swelling and feel for lumps but can't find anything...I lift up both arms and compare and...nothing. Except it's something because I can feel it. But also feel like I can't completely pin point the pain because it moves...if that makes sense. It can be more tender in a certain area one day and somewhere else in my armpit/arm the next. I am truly grateful to have found this thread and all of you because the other stuff I found was terrifying...I'm sure you saw some of it too. I do think perimenopause is a real thing with real symptoms..I know some doctors don't but it's almost debilitating at times and the feeling of doom is horrible. Oh....and last night I used a heating pad and took ibuprofen and it has seemed to help. The feeling is still there but not as intense and I was able to get a decent nights sleep with out waking up in hot flash sweats off an on. Prayers for good health and peace for all of you and I hope we can update this thread as we get answers and relief! Take care!

1 Like Save    
Jen M

Too young for menopause, really! I was told that as well and was prescribed prescription meds for my symptoms. I met a woman that started perimenopause at age 30, thats when I realized many of these doctors have no clue. Find a natural supplement that works for you. I tried several, the cheaper ones at walmart did nothing for me, I found a supplement called smooth transition internal balance through a friend of mine that has worked great, i sleep like a baby and feel normal again and no night sweats!

3 Likes Save    
Vic M

Hi all!

Thank heavens for this thread. I have experienced pain in my right armpit (sore, tender) and sometimes I feel it on the breast and sometimes in my right armpit.

(I have also experienced the tender rib cage sensation described as well.)

The armpit feeling is worse in the mornings for me, as though my breasts have been pulling during the night. Once up for an hour the pain is less intense. I have also experience pins and needles in my left arm during the night.

I have a screening appointment this week and am obviously hoping like many others that all is clear.

I don’t understand why there is so little written about this symptom...it is scary when you are left wondering/googling!

Good luck all...I will report back!

3 Likes Save    
Rebecca Corbett

Thank you all! I’m in the same boat and booked an appointment with my doctor. Looks like this may just be a peri menopause symptom but it’s worrying!

2 Likes Save    
HU-210476324

Thank God I found this thread! I’m 44. Breast cancer is my biggest fear, as my mom, grandma, and great grandma all had it. I’ve started having the weird armpit pain, and naturally I panic. My periods have started getting irregular, I can’t lose weight for anything, so I assume it’s perimenopause. I’ve been getting mammograms every year since I turned 30, and my most recent one was OK (actually it was abnormal and required an ultrasound follow-up, but it was just a cyst). Thank you, ladies, for putting my mind at ease!

2 Likes Save    
nataliecomer

Update: I went to my doctor and he did an exam and I had no swollen lymph nodes or lumps. At this point he feels like it may be a pectoral strain of some sort. Although...I'm still thinking this is perimenopause related as I still have the tenderness/soreness and even itchy sometimes. Just to note....this all began when I made the change over from regular deodorant to all natural...have no idea if that is just coincidence or not. Anyway... I will follow up with updates as things progress. Hopefully we are all just experiencing changes in life and nothing serious. Prayers for you all and answers! Happy Holidays!

1 Like Save    
irishs

Wow! This is very interesting. I’ve been having left armpit pain for 4 weeks now, with about 2 weeks off in the middle. I don’t know if it was completely gone during that time, but much better. Then all of a sudden it can back yesterday. Same exact feeling. Sore, tender, painful when I press on it, and irritated feeling when I don’t even press on it. Sometime, just any pressure from clothing on the armpit will irritate it. My dr wants me to take an antibiotic just in case. Anyone else’s dr tell them that?

2 Likes Save    
nataliecomer

So my doctor did not say anything about an antibiotic..but I would take it if I thought it would help clear it up. I do have a steroid but have not taken it yet because I hate being on steroids....they instantly pack weight on me that I can't get off and make me crazy....so it will be a last ditch effort if I resort to that. Its just the weirdest thing...just wish there was a solid answer with relief in sight. I'm hopeful though...for all of us! Hate that anyone has to go through this but it's nice to know we're not alone...or crazy.

1 Like Save    
irishs

Natalie- mine also seemed to start when I switched from dove to Schmidt, all natural deodorant. Interesting. Totally feels like I have a rash, but when I look...nothing. I even went to the dermatologist today. He could feel nothing unusual (no lumps, nodes, or anything) and visually couldn’t see anything either... weird. My primary will left me get an u/s... not sure if it’s necessary. My “pain” also moves locations..still debating that antibiotic...I just don’t want to take it if it’s not necessary.

2 Likes Save    
nataliecomer

Irishs - Wow!! Yours sounds identical to mine!!! So interesting. This may sound crazy but I have really watched my carb intake and started taking turmeric to reduce inflammation and I am feeling some improvement...so I am going to keep with that and see how it goes....may just be coincidence but I much prefer the all natural route if possible. Maybe it is deodorant related...who knows. I will keep you posted though and thanks for the update! Let me know if you decide to get the ultrasound and what you find out.

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

I also have armpit pain mostly on the right, but dies anyone have pain between the shoulders.... ? It seemed to start when I started sertraline the antidepressant..?

2 Likes Save    
Dorothea Spiegel

Wow! I’m so glad I found this thread! I have been scared to death! I am 48 and I’m assuming I’m heading into or I am in Peri, 4 months ago I started having pain in my right breast and because I have had cysts before I just assumed it was another one, I was laid off my job so I lost medical insurance and the state rejected me for Medicaid until I ran out of unemployment, it’s now going on 5 months of this worry, the pain has stretched into my arm pit and even down Half my arm at times, it comes and goes, sometimes it’s a shooting pain In the armpit and sometimes it just aches and feels sore, I was finally approved for Medicaid and have an appointment on tues for a mamo/sono I’m praying they tell me it’s just hormones, but it does scare me that it’s only been in my right armpit and breast, if it was hormonal wouldn’t it effect both? I guess we will find out. This thread definitely calmed my nerves a bit.

2 Likes Save    
Colleen Harryman

I have the armpit pain as well. I am 51. The armpit pain appears to be a symptom of a sluggish lymph system. I am trying to drink more water and started doing easy Yin yoga a few days ago and it's helping. ( I found the yoga exercise videos by doing a search on the internet.) Good luck to all of you. very happy to have found this thread.

2 Likes Save    
Julieanne Weir

I have had it for about 2 and a half months now. Along with brelast bone pain I was worried, but I agree with you about the slow working Lymphatic system. Also I’m in perimenopause and have Fybro.

2 Likes Save    
HU-276869289

Ok Ladies! Can you please update us on your latest? Anybody think they’ve figured this out yet? I’ve had the strange armpit pains but mine have also been in the groin and just under my jawline. I have no noticeable swelling or lumps. I have had a few breast biopsies (benign findings) so I have some metal place markers in my right breast. 2 weeks prior through my period days my breasts hurt where these markers are along with the usual pre-period breast tenderness. I read that some had noticed the armpit pain coincided with them switching to a natural deodorant. I have always used an aluminum free, more natural deodorant but just since this summer I started using Schmidt’s (like another poster mentioned) and another brand with almost the same exact ingredients. Interesting! I do know that baking soda (one of the main ingredients in these natural deodorants) makes my husband’s armpits miserable with raised, red lumps. I read it happens to some people. However, I feel mine symptoms are more likely hormone related. I’m 45 and in this past year I’ve been experiencing several scary, new symptoms to include: pre-syncope, weird pains throughout my body (from electric shocks/zaps, aches, shooting pains) brain fog, blurry vision/dry & painful eyes, aching joints (mostly hips), bouts of higher than usual blood pressure, numbness inside bottom of mouth/tongue, extreme neck muscle tension, and oddly, my thumbs don’t feel as dexterous as usual, they don’t bend as well! This isn’t even all of it! I resonate with many of the previous posters on this thread. I truly hope someone has a solid answer for what’s been going on with those of us having the armpit pains and am hoping to find someone who may have similar other symptoms like me so we can brainstorm!

1 Like Save    
tonyabrooks306

You describe symptoms that I have. There are so many different things that happen from day to day and month to month. I am heading towards 49 this fall if nothing happens and I have been having these things happen since my 30s. They got worse starting in 2011. I don't know what symptoms that I will have next. I am just trying to survive.

1 Like Save    
HU-276869289

Tonya, to whom are you replying? All the doctors I’ve seen so far think that all of my symptoms are attributed to stress. I can live with this answer however I NEED to have more sinister possibilities ruled out before settling on “just stress”. If all of my symptoms really are caused by stress, I’m blown away by how powerful stress is. It’s scary!

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

Hi , HU -276869289

i have had the strange underarm pain for 3 months now, along with pain underneath my breasts ( ribs ) it’s there all the time I’m fifty and in peri menopause but I also have Hypothyroidism and Fibromyalgia ,any of these two conditions could cause the symptoms you are describing. I have Health anxiety so for me going to doctor is very difficult but I had to have blood work done for my 6 weekly thyroid check and doctor decoded to do full bloods ... they all came back normal. .. so no abnormal high white cells indicative of cancer. ( or infection ) I know this isn’t the same as a mammogram but that will happen soon anyway now I’ve turned 50. I hope you get it sorted to put your mind at rest.

Ps anyone out there who is about to tell me a normal blood count doesn’t rule out cancer .... Don’t

2 Likes Save    
nataliecomer

Wow! So glad we are not alone....even though I wouldn't wish this on anybody! I still have the weird pain...been going on since the end of summer/early fall. As I previously posted....my doctor found no lumps or swollen lymph nodes and really thought it was a pectoral strain. I am 46 next week and def in perimenopause if not menopause. My doc gave me some exercises to do...which at the time I did not because I just didn't feel that's what it was. Anyway...fast forward to the last few weeks...I decided I would give the tennis ball exercises a try...and have definitely felt improvement although still not 100%. All of this is really frustrating to me because I feel in my heart of hearts that it's somehow hormone related. The weight gain, brain fog, irritability, dry skin, brittle hair...you name it...I have it! Definitely do not feel like myself at all. So...really I don't have any new answers other than I'm still hopeful that it will all work itself out. Thanks for keeping the thread going...if nothing else it nice to discuss with those that can relate. Praying relief and good news for all!

2 Likes Save    
tonyabrooks306

@ HU-276869289-I was replying to your post and doctors are full of crap. They deny that these symptoms even exist. It is all part of premenopause/menopause. Even nausea and other things. There are so many different symptoms that the list grows longer all the time. The link below will take you to a page full of other people's symptoms and they are a lot. Drs try to pass it all off as in a person's mind and that is utter bs. This lady wrote up at least 66 symptoms and others in the comments have added to it.

Patient Info on Perimenopause

2 Likes Save    
HU-276869289

Thank you!!!!

1 Like Save    
Cecile James

I am so pleased to have found this thread. 51 years old and I have been experiencing the weird armpit discomfort in my left armpit off and on since around October 2018. The original poster described it to a T. I can’t call it a pain. It is more like a soreness. The kind of soreness I would get sometimes when I shave my armpits. Not severe. On the mild side but there. And in this latest episode it kind of feels swollen but it isn’t if that makes sense and it doesn’t look so. I have looked in the mirror several times to compare the two sides and they look about the same. Again it comes and goes. I also get the pain below my armpit at the top of my rib cage when I press the area and I was having that on both sides but more on the left. It’s only apparent when I press on the area. I don’t have any lumps in my armpit that I can feel. I wonder if it is related to deodorant or bras or shaving. I switched to the natural deodorant Schmidt’s in the summer of 2018. When I first started getting the discomfort in October, I stopped using the deodorant and went back to Mitchum. But the discomfort is still there off and on. I am due for a mammo and will arrange that soon. This armpit “pain” certainly has me very very anxious thinking the worst so it is good to come here and read of others who appear to be going through the same thing.

1 Like Save    
K M

I also experienced the armpit pain. It alternates on either side depending on the way that I sleep. It usually hurts more when I raise my arm and it seems to be right along with the muscle runs from my armpit to my breast. Sometimes I feel it when I bend over and pick things up. No abnormal lumps. Same ones I’ve always had and was checked. It’s more of a tenderness, almost like a deep bruise feeling. It usually goes away in a day or two. I also went out and bought some better supporting bras and that seems to help as well.

I just turned 55 a week ago and still going through this. I started having heavy periods a couple years ago. Then it went to every three months. Finally I went five months without one, until I started doing keto. It’s normal when you go low-carb and lose a lot of weight for your cycle to start. It was a heavy flooding. Probably lasted about three weeks. 2 to 3 of those days were heavy. I just went five months again and started a week ago. One day of heavy flooding and the rest is just been annoying where I start and stop at random times during the day. Possibly from yo-yo dieting.

Hopefully I’m getting close and this is nearing the end.

1 Like Save    
HU-156563693

I too am having the armpit pain. It has been happening since right after Christmas of last year. I have had a mammogram and ultrasound sound that came back normal. They just said I have dense breasts. The pain is not every day but most. It is the worst in my left one but sometimes it hurts on my right as well. I have totally been freaking out. I have had blood tests done showing nothing. I have seen 2 Dr.s so far who make me think I am crazy. I have a appointment with a new one in a week. I am 38 and had my third child 8 months ago. Thought maybe it was related to my hormones somehow. This is the first place I have found anything saying I could be right. Nothing out there on the web links this to anything but horrible things like cancer! So glad I found other’s experiencing this too! Praying it is just a normal change.

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

I know it’s scary , I have health anxiety too which doesn’t help. Mine started about November of last year , like you it sometimes disappears , I also have pain under the breast on the top

of rib. the underarm pain has gone for now. ( thankfully ) I’ve had full bloods done and no raised white cells indicative of infection or cancer. I have Hypothyroidism and Fybromyalgia and I’m just turned fifty ... so take your pick as to what’s causing it. I think it most likely to be the change. ..

Save    
tonyabrooks306

All I can say is it is a symptom of perimenopause. I get the armpit pain too at times and I blame hormones for every issue I have. I'll be 49 this year and I am slowly awaiting the actual menopause to take place. Each month is like playing Russian Roulette and never knowing if the bullet will be in the chamber. Sometimes there is normalcy, other times, nightmarish experiences.

Save    
Julieanne Weir

tonyabrooks306 you’re probably right lol. I hit fifty in January this year....however last year i had Awful pain around my stomach and ovaries with irregualr periods two weeks apart. I did what any normal person would. ... consulted Doctor Google and diagnosed myself with ovarian cancer ... I then took the second best option and went to doctor lol.. and expected her to confirm my diagnosis, and was surprised when she said she thought it was most likely to be the perimenopause..... I had various tests and bloods which ruled out ovarian and cervical cancer . She said menopause can cause all sorts of problems that you would never associate with women’s problems. ... Still get the armpit pain on and off. Good luck with the joys of being a perimenopausal Woman .. ;-D

1 Like Save    
HU-276869289

My armpit pains have gone away. I also had these pains in my lymph area near the front of hips so I was super scared. One interesting thing, I had a massage therapist perform lymph drainage on me in December. It hurt, but I knew he was truly doing work! I wonder if that helped things (toxins) drain out?

1 Like Save    
Courtney

Omg I’m so happy to find this site. I have been experiencing the armpit pain with breast pain, well it’s not pain but it’s there constantly now for 2 1/2 months. I am 38 and I’m not sure what is causing it. I’ve had a mammo and ultrasound. They both came back clear. I have dense breast and it concerns me they missed something. This whole situation has literally caused me to develop health anxiety. I am completely wrapped up in it. Dr google has sent me down a dark hole, I have completely not been myself. I am going for a ABUS in 10 days and I’m totally freaked out about it. I feel better knowing I’m not the only one well not better it sucks that anyone has to deal with breast pain/discomfort. If anyone on here found out what the problem is please comment. I’m in need of reassurance lol

thanks for listening ❤️

1 Like Save    
Courtney

Ps I also have slight shoulder pain that goes along with it. Try and enter those symptoms In Google absolute cancer diagnosis

1 Like Save    
tonyabrooks306

I just attribute it to hormones and another thing that perimenopause puts a person through.

1 Like Save    
Courtney

You think at 38?

1 Like Save    
tonyabrooks306

Perimenopause can start in your 30s. Mine did. And I am going on 49 this fall.

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

HU-750380682

Hi, you’re not alone, I also at this moment have the shoulder blade pain have had it this time for about a week. Also really bad heartburn . My armpit pain not present at moment but comes and goes it’s so comforting to know people are in the same boat. Not that I want you all to suffer but to know you’re not alone is a help. I’m not suffering with hot flushes , get the occasional night sweats.but I’m getting the brain fog and irregular periods aching and vision problems. I’m just turned 50 .

Good luck

2 Likes Save    
Courtney

Thank you for commenting! It’s just so weird to have breast/armpit pain just on left side. I’ve dealt with breast pain before but always in both breast. This is a whole new experience for me. It causes so much stress and anxiety. I’m usually a vet laid back person but this experience has made me completely crazy. My husband and son are both at wits end with me but I just can’t seem to stop the wondering. Ty❤️

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

Yes I know what you mean. my health anxiety is another by product of peri I’m sure. I certainly never had it before. As far as your husband and son go, how would they react if they got pain in their private parts ....? Not well I’m sure. Hope you feel better for offloading and reading our comments.

1 Like Save    
Courtney

One more question for you ladies. I was wondering if the pain like feeling in the breast feels like it’s coming from behind the nipple area or radiating from armpit to nipple. It’s not always like that but some days. I can also feel it in my upper arm. Idk just throwing things out there to see if anyone has gone thru same thing.

Thanks again,❤️

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

My breast pain primarily feels like it’s coming from the side of the breast, occasionally it will radiate from the nipple but not often . My ribs under the breast often feel tender and wearing a underwired bra really hurts. xx

1 Like Save    
Melissa Flowers

I am 47 and have been experiencing perimenopause symptoms for a couple of years now. About a month ago I started having the same symptoms as described in the original post. (I did feel a lump in my left breast a while back but it went away) I had an ultrasound and blood work and both came back normal so I am now taking antibiotics. I am so thankful to see that I am not alone (or crazy LOL).

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

Well you’re certainly not alone anyway... lol ;-D

1 Like Save    
Courtney

So my blood work came back normal and so did Xrays. I just have to wait untill next Friday to get ABUS and if that comes back clear. I’m still going to have no idea what is wrong. I was wondering if anyone knows what test you would ask for to see if you have a hormonal imbalance?

1 Like Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Hi ladies,

I had this armpit pain (left) in my early 20’s and it was consistent with a mammogram showing dense breast tissue, much worse in left breast radiating to left armpit. I’m 2 years postmenopause (53) and the pain came back with a vengeance. I had all perimenopause symptoms you could possibly imagine.

I think it has something to do with fluctuations in estrogen and dense breast tissue. I’m not on HRT, still having hot flushes, weight gain, bloating, high cholesterol and triglycerides, borderline pre diabetic and sometimes high uric acid, which points to metabolic syndrome. All blood tests were normal before perimenopause.

Dense breast tissue is rich in glandular and connective tissue. Connective tissue diseases can be triggered by menopause and low estrogen levels.

1 Like Save    
nataliecomer

Thanks Patricia! This is good info! I have dense breast tissue as well and still have the ongoing pain etc. The perimenopause/menopause symptoms are no joke and I only wish more healthcare providers took it seriously.

Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Hi Natalie,

I’ve just read an article where they have found an increased amount of pro inflammatory markers (cytokines) in perimenopause women with dense breast tissue. They haven’t found differences in estrogen blood levels but they present the hypothesis that cytokines may induce aromathase to produce estradiol locally (micro environment).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5087296/

If this is the case, anti inflammatory drugs could work for the pain!

1 Like Save    
Sabrina Shields-Cook

Thank goodness for you ladies! I have been having panic attacks all day over this armpit pain. Mine is primarily left armpit, but both armpits are red. Anyone else have redness? I’ve been having multiple strange symptoms for about 18 months. I’m about to turn 40. The worst is the medical anxiety. Every symptom leads me to the conclusion that I have cancer. Oh! Like several others, this also started for me after switching to Schmitt’s!! I stopped it weeks ago but still have symptoms.

2 Likes Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Hi Sabrina,

I don’t have redness. Yours sounds like a hypersensitive reaction. Stop using everything and see if redness goes away. If you’re entering perimenopause, be prepared for a lot of weird symptoms. You will think you’re dying or losing your mind. Good luck!

1 Like Save    
Sabrina Shields-Cook

It doesn’t seem to be an allergy or dermatitis. The pain is deep in the armpit and radiates to my elbow and shoulder. I’ve also had heart palpitations, hot flashes, groin pain, and multiple UTIs after never having had a single one in my life. My (male) doctor has been perplexed, but I’m starting to wonder if it could all be perimenopause. I know I am young. My mom started menopause early, but she died five years ago so I can’t go to her for advice.

2 Likes Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Oh, that’s why it’s important to know all symptoms! It looks like perimenopause and it can start as early as mid 30’s. Watch your diet, weight gain, decrease caffeine, sugars and alcohol.

1 Like Save    
Ainslie Gordon

Me too! Turning 40 in six months. Been to the doctors in December and they seem to not be worried about it. Going to the doctors again next month for my annual appointments. My armpit hurts between ovulation and my period. Then stops and starts back up again.

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

Mine seems to be constant., and strays to the ribs and around back ( that’s not constant though .. bloody menopause lol.

1 Like Save    
Patricia Lacerda

I have remembered that when I had these symptoms back in my fertile days, my gynae did prescribe me starflower oil (herbal drug) and it worked!

Edited: starflower oil is sold as a supplement in some countries.

Save    
Julieanne Weir

Thanks , there are a few supplements i can’t take , but I will check this one out.

Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Hi Julieanne,

Yes, check the leaflet before you buy it. By the way, it’s not sold OTC over here (Brazil), it’s not a supplement, it’s a herbal drug.

Save    
Julieanne Weir

Thanks Patricia, I will check with my GP , and Thank you.

Save    
Patricia Lacerda

You’re welcome. Hope it helps!

1 Like Save    
Bonnie Mary

Ty so much everyone. Definitely the fear factor. What a relief to read others experiencing the same things. whewww.

1 Like Save    
Courtney

Hello ladies, I’m back! I had the ultrasound done and the radiologist said I have breast cysts. He won’t confirm that they are the reason I’m having armpit pain and rib pain with some shoulder pain. So I’m still here losing my mind feeling like something else is going on. This site definetly helps me cope. I just wish I could get an actual disgnosis. The shoulder pain might be from all the stress over this but idk #stillfeelinglost

1 Like Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Hi, many women have breast cysts and don’t have armpit pain, unless there‘s breast tissue in the armpit area. I only have pain in my left armpit and mammogram shows dense breast tissue, including armpit.

1 Like Save    
Courtney

I have very dense breasts. I was told that after the mammo. I’ve had a mammo and 2 ultrasounds. All they could tell me was that I had 3 cysts and they would like me to come back in 6 months. I just wish the feeling would go away. They do get a little worse before my period but they mainly stay the same all month.

1 Like Save    
Courtney

Mine is also only on the left side.

1 Like Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Hi Courtney,

That’s interesting. Maybe we could set a poll. It could be just coincidence but who knows? My left breast is bigger than the right one.

Save    
nataliecomer

Mine are pretty much the same.... but my armpit pain is on the right side.

Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Thanks Natalie, poll canceled

: D

Save    
Courtney

My left is bigger

Save    
HU-156563693

My left is bigger too!

Save    
Belinda Metcalfe

Hi Everybody, I've been having armpit discomfort for about four weeks now. It started with a shooting pain in my left armpit and after that has stayed a dull ache which feels like I've shaved and left them sore but no redness, no lumps and it also goes into my right arm pit. It isn't painful as such, just annoying like a burning feeling. my right breast hurt like mad a few days ago, it was awful, really shooting pain and went all through the breast. I never know if that is coming from where my gallbladder was ( I had keyhole surgery October 2017) and somedays it's still sore and did wonder if the pain was after I had a scoop of ice cream and it shot into my breast. About 5 years ago I got diagnosed with a small breast cyst and didn't know it was there. Things improved but I think it might be back as it feels tender when pressed on, but no lumps.

I have been to the hospital and a doctor twice in a few weeks, they can't feel any raised lymph nodes, feel any lumps and don't feel the need for a full blood test

I am 58 this year and went through menopause about 8-10 years ago. It's really worrying me.

The only change I made was a roll on deodorant which I bought about 3 months ago, but haven't used that for about 5 weeks and the armpit thing came on a month ago.

I'm going to ask for a mammogram although I had one January 2018.

2 Likes Save    
Belinda Metcalfe

Well at last the armpit thing seems to have disappeared over the last few days. Really odd

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth York

Hi Belinda that’s good to hear. I’ve booked in to see the doctor as I’ve had the same weird achey pain in left armpit for a month now. No lumps as far as I can feel.

Save    
HU-38118944

I'm almost 43 and just the past year have been noticing some weird "menopausal" symptoms.

The first was hot flashes all of a sudden...all day off and on but worse at night.

Headaches, low libido, dry and brittle hair and nails, irritability and horrible social anxiety!

Now, yesterday, I noticed a soreness in my left armpit I've never experienced before. I kept trying to think back if I did something yesterday that would have made it sore and I can't think of anything!!

Now after reading this thread it fits....I did have bloodwork done about 6 weeks ago with my Gyno and he said I'm definitely in perimenopause....YES at only 42!! He put me on Progesterone pills at night and occasional estrogen Vag cream when needed for dryness. I've only been taking this about a week now. Not sure if this sparked the soreness or if it's just "that time of month"?

I had an ablation done about 2 years ago so i dont experience a "cycle" anymore but still get the other monthly symptoms like headache, tiredness, low libido and facial acne..etc. so I know that IF I were to actually have a cycle it would be right around that time !

I've also started having horrible facial acne especially around my jawline. I've NEVER had acne my entire life and now it seems to spark up worse when I'm experiencing my perimenopause symptoms the worst.

1 Like Save    
Patricia Lacerda

Hi there,

Sorry you're having so many symptoms, same thing has happened to me in my early 40's. Why did you have the ablation?

The acne is a sign of high testosterone when compared to lower estrogen levels. It's very common when estrogen levels fluctuate madly during perimenopause.

Save    
Rhea Young

Hi all. I'm 37 years old. Not sure if Im' having perimenopause, but my mom did go through menopause in her 30's. This thread is a relief. I've had on and off armpit weirdness for the past 8 months. At first it was a fullness on the right side. The doctor ordered an armpit ultrasound which came out fine. Then, four months later, there was pain which lasted a few weeks, then stopped. Then it came back again like a month ago. Sort of a deep pain in the armpit, especially when I move or pick something up. It went away for a week or two, then came back. Now I'm not sure if I'm imagning things because it feels more like an irritation. If I push deep, deep inside the armpit, I do feel like I feel a little lump that moves around. My husband keeps telling me it's nothing but I can't help but jump to cancer in my mind. My dad died of cancer last year and I've been quite a bit of a hypochondriac since he started battling it. I've had 4 breast ultrasounds which have all come back normal. (Last one was a year ago.) But I keep convincing myself of breast cancer, and it's always on the right side. I mentioned it at my OBGYN visit two months ago. He said he didn't feel anything concerning. It's comforting to know others also have this mysterious sensation. Sometimes I wonder if my mind is exacerbating it.

1 Like Save    
Belinda Metcalfe

Now I am wondering if my arm pit ache is due to me wither wearing a Bra which I can't seem to get the right fit. I might have a bit of Costochronditis which is inflammation of the chest as the other day I could hardly move without the rib cage and bone in the sternum hurting. I gtot measured for a bra thursday at M&S and all was well, The day after I wore it, but had to take it off after a few hours, it was pressing wear my gallbladder had been removed and was so sore. That area has been sore again after 20 months of having it removed. Once I took my bra off the ache went into my armpits again, I massaged them a bit and it went. So maybe it's a combination of wearing a bra and cos I'm overweight with fatty arm pits which were getting trapped making my lymph nodes sore.

2 Likes Save    
HU-260310365

So grateful to find this thread! I have the left underarm pain for 24/7 for the past 6 months or so. It is similar, tho more so, to the pain I used to get monthly. No lumps or swelling, feels kinda bruisy, pain moves around a bit day to day and I also have the tenderness right underneath the left breast by my ribs. I am assuming it is hormonal, but I had decided it was cancer and was pretty nervous awaiting my imaging and mammo appt. this past week and found these messages last Sunday. My tests were all fine yesterday so I'm going to try an anti-inflammatory and see if it helps. But so reassuring to hear from others when my doctor, at my annual exam, pretty much blew me off. I had a period about 7 months last year but nothing since January, so I'm assuming perimenopause. Thanks so much for sharing your symptoms and confirming it is legit!

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

Yes it’s legit.. I’ve had it for about a year off and on. I also get a bruised feeling on the ribs below my breasts circling all around .. have it at present , but not there all the time. It’s a nightmare this menopause isn’t it. Lol.

1 Like Save    
Belinda Metcalfe

I use Organic castor oil which I buy from ebay and rub it on the breast, or stomach near where the liver is and put a hot water bottle over the top of my night dress, do this three or four times a week for a few weeks, really helps. Leave the hot water bottle on for at least 30 mins to an hour, really helps with inflammation. I'm also trying to reduce gluten to see if that helps

1 Like Save    
Julieanne Weir

I’ll definitely give that a try , I have some organic castor oil. Thank you.

1 Like Save    
Belinda Metcalfe

Castor oil is great for allsorts. Bit greasy I know, but I put on directly on the skin, cover it up with old nightie and water bottle on top or a heat bag. I found the info on youtube and definetly helps with the soreness. I haven't tried it in the armpits though, lol.

Don't do it 7 days a week, only 3 or four for a few weeks, then maybe once a twice a month if needed.

1 Like Save    
Belinda Metcalfe

Don't know what my excuse is then as I finished menopause many years ago.

1 Like Save    
tonyabrooks306

Well, as of a day or so ago, around July 7, 2019, my right side of my breast has been driving me up a wall with dull twinges. Sighs. I am finished with my cycle just a day or so ago. Hormones are a PITA!

1 Like Save    
HU-240453046

Hello! I am 44 years old. Not sure I am in peri menopause yet. I also have tenderness in my armpit with no lumps or redness. It is on my left side. It has been happening on and off for sometime now. Possibly over a year. Strange as others say..I noticed it after I started using Schmidt’s deodorant. I probably used 2 sticks before thinking it might be related to the deodorant. I quit using and did not use any for a long while. I still have the feeling there sometimes though. However the other day I put some Schmidt’s on and it seem to be more of a pronounced pain than before. I always thought it had something to do with my bra. My breast are uneven. My left size is almost a cup size larger(the side where it is on). I do sometimes have pain in that breast. But usually not in the other I have also wondered if it is hormone related too. Because seems to be more irritating during ovulation and before/during period.

I was glad to see your post and all the responses from everyone feeling the same. Was starting to worry. I made an appointment with my doctor just to be sure. Last time I was there I mentioned it and during breast exam they felt in that area but didn’t feel anything. So they acted like it was no reason for concern. I have yet to have a mammogram.

2 Likes Save    
kimberlynn1975

oh dear lord ! thank you for this .. I have been worried sick for 2 weeks with this horrible armpit boob swelling feeling .. its intense and sucks.. getting checked anyway..thanks for all the comments .. bra no bra it hurts .. Im going to be 44 in a month. (sips burbon) ahhhhh

2 Likes Save    
nataliecomer

Hang in there kimberlynn1975...I feel your pain! Try not to stress and worry yourself! Prayers going up!

Save    
HU-764043559

Hello everyone,

I too have been experiencing all of the above and have spent countless hours and days worrying and scouring the internet for answers. I was overjoyed to stumble upon you all here and learn that I am not alone or losing my mind.

A little info about me.... I am a 45 year old woman who started peri & menopause early!! I started at age 38/39 and had no clue what on earth was going on with me. The usual menopausal symptoms were downright awful but like the rest of you, I suffered through the whole time thinking “ok new symptom, dying again of some mysterious illness or I seriously need my head checked.” Fast forward.... I had my last menstrual cycle right after my 44th birthday (so over a year now) and I have to say the menopausal symptoms have lessened overall thankfully.

Then SUDDENLY, about 2 months ago, just when I thought the worst was behind me, my body introduces to me, a new scary “oh no I’m dying again” symptom. THE ARMPIT ACHE!! I had just finished my routine physical, pap, mammogram, breast ultrasound, had bloodwork and urine tests done as well.... all came back normal. I was so relieved!!! However, my armpit ache started right after that, within a few days, which threw me for a loop. I thought ok maybe I strained a muscle working out?? Maybe I’m feeling after effects from the Mammogram “trauma”??? No clue and of course, panic starts to set in!! Over the course of 2 weeks, the ache in my armpit (right side for me) became an ache in the right shoulder, ache in my right breast and some days the ache even extended all the way down my right arm.

It really is terrifying and consuming when you don’t know what’s going on or why and the Doctors can’t find anything either. So I started experimenting with different things to hopefully find a remedy or at least some peace of mind.

Fast forward again..... long story short.... I accidentally stumbled upon a video on YouTube regarding Magnesium deficiency and it’s symptoms and I thought hmmmm, could it be my issue?? So I started taking Magnesium supplements and within 24 hours, my armpit ache started to disappear!! I have been taking the Magnesium faithfully every day for a few weeks now and I can say the ache is 95% gone and most days I don’t even remember having it at all. I don’t know if it’s merely a coincidence or if the magnesium really helped but I felt compelled to share my findings with you all in the hopes that it may help you as well.

Side note, I had just started taking other supplements approx 2 weeks before the aching started so I thought perhaps they too may have been the culprit so I stopped taking them completely. (Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin C). 1 week later, I started Magnesium which I had never taken before!! Just to clarify.

Together, we will get through this.

Anita

1 Like Save    
nataliecomer

Hi Anita ~ Your post sounds so familiar!! Glad you have found something that is giving you some relief! Thanks for sharing your experience and magnesium info....I actually have some at home and will give it a try.

Glad you found this thread too!!!

Take care!

Save    
nataliecomer

Heading in for my annual mammogram this morning - still have the weird pain. Praying all will be well..for all of us!

Save    
E White

Hello girls, I am 43 and was just told by my Obgyn that I am menopausal. 5 days ago I started having left armpit pain and it’s so painful. Taking corticosteroids. Mammogram and exams all normal just the strangest thing. Side affects are real. And so is early menopause. I’m blessed I had my children young ❤️ Relax and enjoy life girls. Menopause is a condition not a disease. All women have to go through it let’s just get it done ✅

1 Like Save    
Karen Shelly

I am having the same armpit pain that started in one armpit and went to both. I took some Magnesium as Anita suggested and it helped with other symptoms, but my right armpit is still sore. I’m really panicked. I have irregular periods, but was put on the Nuvaring. I was 6 days late refilling my Nuvaring and this is when the armpit pain started. It is more of like a sore, bruised feeling deep in the armpit. I am 35, have weight gain, facial hairs, and I’m loosing hair. Is this periomentopause?

2 Likes Save    
Anissa Buffy Moore-Hodgson

Hi ya, I am 47 and have been having this armpit pain with increasing frequency and intensity for at least the last two years. I'm fairly sure it got worse after the mammogram too. Having said that I am not getting any younger lol. After the Mammogram I noticed an almost immediate development in skin issues. I asked my mother how she responded to mammograms and she said she'd never had one as she was warned off them by a nurse who said the mammogram can actually cause issues because of the radiation and your sensitive hormonal state. Funny how they don't mention this (or maybe I just didn't take it in from nerves) . After learning this I was recalled for another one (fibrocystic breasts it turns out) so insisted they do the less invasive ultrasound as they use both to be thorough anyway. I totally get the freaking out thing. I have ectopic heart beats and high cholesterol. Even when within my healthy weight range my cholesterol is only just within normal and that's a high normal. That coupled with the costochondritis and fibrocystic breast pain, Meant I have been to the ER a few times not knowing what was going on. Despite all my symptoms I have low to normal blood pressure and have never had alcohol or smoked so they fob you off alot just on those risk factors alone. A women Doctor acquaintence of ours said as GPs they really don't know much about perimenopause/menopause at all, I'm guessing because it's so individualised making it varying degrees of normal. So keep at them and if you have no quality of life let that be the first thing you tell the GP. So grateful for the chance to be heard.

1 Like Save    
Gemma Brice

OH MY GOD!!!! This thread!!!! I could kiss all of you ladies!!!

I'm 31 next year and I've been experiencing this strange armpit pain in my left arm for about 7/8 weeks along with 4 weeks of awful left breast pain (which thankfully has seemed to of subsided) but I'm left with this armpit twinge! I can only describe it as though someone is plucking under my underarm like a guitar, it hurts for all of a few seconds and then goes until it happens again! then I have tingles running down my arms through to my fingers every now and again.

I went to the doctor who said it was Nerve Inflammation and put me on 50mg of Pregablin, this hasn't worked at all.

I've had two breast examinations, of which they have ruled out the potential of Cancer. Which I can honestly tell you, I've never had anxiety like it! I'm exactly the same as a few of you who have said every symptom makes you think your dying and going to have this awful terminal diagnosis!

The problem with Googling anything about Armpits is it leads you straight to Breast Cancer and the more you read, the more you convince yourself!

But no swollen lymphnodes, no redness or swelling. Its so bizarre!
Ive switched deodrant from Soft & Gentle (which I've used for years with no problems!) to Dove - but it hasn't made a difference.

My bloods came back fine all except my ESR levels which said there's about 30% inflammation in my body somewhere, so possibly an infection? but I'm due to have my bloods taken again on the 6th of Jan.

I had a full thyroidectomy in April 2017 but my levels seem to be okay. however I was told that the breast pain could be down to hormones changing.

Now I started my periods at 10 years old, so the topic of going through perimenopause early has been mentioned to me.

But I feel like I'm going crazy at the moment, no-one really understands me! So thank you ladies, thank you so much - please keep me updated xxx

1 Like Save    
Amanda McKinney

These comments have been so helpful! I’m 33... I started getting left armpit aches about a year ago. I wouldn’t say they are constant, but they are always coming back! Just the left side too. My cycle is still pretty regular, but my Mom and Grandmother both went through menopause at 30. Anything armpit related is so scary!

1 Like Save