Tender & Swollen Breasts? after menopause

patrice214

Hi...I am new to this...Found it from a google search.

The last three days I am experiencing tenderness and swollen breast (both) just like when I had PMS symptoms all my life. I feel like I want to put ice packs on them! I have taken Alieve and Tylenol etc and help a little but this am they are I have not had my period in almost three years and these symptoms also. What's going on? Has this happened to anyone else. I am not on any kind of HRT or herbal etc. Menopause started at 42. I am 53 now. The last year ALL symptoms have gone, even the hot flashes which were the last to go last summer. I was sooooo happy to get rid of everything! Now this! Is this a neverending road of surprises! So is this yet STILL more random hormone imbalance due to menopause? I have been under a lot of stress lately. HELP!

Thanks

Patrice

StElmisFire@aol.com

SaveComment31Like1
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1

I would go to your gyno... I don't know if anyone in here would be qualified on this one... that's just my humble opinion.

Save    
patrice214

I actually did some research on the internet for menopause symptoms on various websites and PMS feeling of tender, swelling breasts came up numerous times and found a connection with Evening Primrose Oil capsules for solution. Been taking two days now and it is definetely better! Just wanted to post that in case anyone else had a similar problem.

1 Like Save    
Heathen1

Well, yeah, but I'd think that after 2 years of not having your period, it's strange that you are having PMS symptoms... THAT is why I thought you should discuss it with your gyno.... MY breasts are swollen and tender almost every month.

1 Like Save    
mscratch

Not necessarily so strange as you may think..when I was on hrt, my periods ended BUT each time of the month that I would nornally have a period, the tenderness and swelling would appear. Of course, it is a concern to you, so discuss this with your physician even if you find relief with something.

Save    
roxxy_2006

HI, I thought I had gone through menopause 3 1/2 yrs ago when my period just stopped... I had NO other symptoms, then WHAM! about 4 weeks ago, I started expericing morning and daily nausea, swollen breasts, hot flashes day and night, headaches, tummy is swollen... Oh my goodness! I just went to doctor yesterday and had mutilple blood work done, will know something Monday or Tuesday next week... I just don't understand why this happened the way it did.. has anyone else had their periods just stop for years before expericing the other menopause symptoms?

1 Like Save    
grandmapoo

Roxxy, what did you find out? (fingers crossed all is well.)

1 Like Save    
encourager

Wow... I just did a search on this subject! Have been experiencing tender painful nipples and breasts for over a week. Reminded me of being pregnant. Impossible...had a hysterectomy in '96 and last of the hot flashes, etc, over a year ago. What is going on? Am getting more than a little concerned about this. Calling my doctor in the morning. Can a cyst/tumor on overy cause these symptoms?

1 Like Save    
roxxy_2006

Hi, I had blood work done, my FSH is 32.1, my LH is 10.2 and my prolactin is 9.9.... doctor wanted me to come back this coming Tues October 2... I will keep you posted.. also, my stomach is fluttering.... and my breasts have grown one size and feel like they might grow more.. I am worried!

1 Like Save    
peterpan_2008

Wow, instead of being glad others have the same problem, I'm disappointed to find there's not a solution to this. Seems like most of the posts I read were from a couple years ago and no one has said, "Yeah, it went away after____." I just had blood work done and was hoping my OBGYN was going to say what we could do to make my breasts go back to normal. I'm 53, been on HRT for 2 1/2 years, so this isn't related to that, I've continued to have periods every two or three months since they became irregular and the hot flashes started about 2 1/2 years ago (the reason for the HRT). My breasts suddenly got bigger and tender a couple of months ago, I had a 2 1/2 week period after a few weeks of that, but they didn't go back to normal. Instead they got even bigger. I can no longer even wrap my bras around my chest. Am squeezing painfully into sports bras, and spilling out of them. Didn't want to invest $35 a pop for supportive DD cups. I'm only 5'4" and 120 lbs and my breasts are WAY too big for my body. Clothes don't fit. I feel like I did about two days after I quit breastfeeding so many years ago. Regular GYNO exam revealed nothing unusual so I have had more blood work done.....sounds like nothing will show up. Darn.

In an earlier post, I read that someone used testosterone cream. Do you rub it ON your breasts? Where can I order it?
C

1 Like Save    
ladyharley

Function

1. When women go through menopause, their bodies change entirely. As their bodies stop producing some hormones and start reacting differently to the environment around them, they may experience a variety of unpleasant symptoms, one of which is breast pain. This is a direct response to the body's changing hormone levels, and is similar to what many young women experience before they start their periods.
    Significance
  2. If a woman's periods have slowed or stopped completely and she is 40 years of age or older, she may be going through menopause. Breast pain often indicates that her hormone levels are fluctuating, so this may be normal. However, once her body's systems balance out--and this can take some time, unfortunately--the pain should go away. Sometimes this soreness is related to hormone therapies.
    Identification
  3. Breast soreness after menopause tends to be much the same as the pain experienced during menopause. It tends to make the nipples tender and breasts may feel or actually be swollen. If this is a residual effect of menopause, then the duration of the soreness should not be too long at any given time. Persistent pain is an indication that there may be another problem.
    Effects
  4. If a woman continues to experience breast pain after menopause, it can seriously interfere with her daily life. Chronic breast soreness can make her tired, irritable and difficult to touch. Because this condition can affect all aspects of her life, she should consult a gynecologist to see what can be done to alleviate the pain.
    Misconceptions
  5. Many women believe that breast soreness and even some leakage are just part of menopause. However, if your breasts are constantly sore, appear infected or are leaking, you must launch a thorough investigation immediately. These are not common symptoms and can easily indicate a more serious problem rather than an expected change.
    Warning
  6. If breast soreness escalates despite pain medication or other treatments, a woman's body may be displaying problems with past hormone therapy or trying to tell her that something serious is going on. After menopause, a woman's risk of breast cancer rises about 4 percent, so any anomalies in her breasts should be thoroughly investigated to avoid a big health problem in the future.
2 Likes Save    
neville_50_yahoo_com

I was dx post meno. in Feb 2011..I was 44. I haven't had a period since Jan 2011 but my FSH is 70 and dr says I'm post meno. Didn't have any breast soreness until now..my breasts/nipples are so sore. I've been advised to take Evening primrose oil - Omega 3 and 6. When I was on the flaxseed caps all my symptoms disappeared. When I stopped they come back. Even though we are post meno our pituary gland can still produce some oestrogen. This is normal. Try the omega 3 and 6. best of luck.

1 Like Save    
julianne1963_gmail_com

I have gone through menopause beginning at age 42 I am now 48 and most symptoms have stopped with occasional hot flashes and mood swings. The last few days I have been experiencing horrible breast tenderness, surprisingly only on the left side. The majority of the pain is around the nipple area with it being so uncomfortable that the shower water caused quite a bit of discomfort. I found this site and have been relieved by the other posts.

1 Like Save    
nikkibubble0103_yahoo_co_uk

Hi all I had a hysterectomy 8 yrs ago when I was 24 and 4 yrs later had to have both overies removed! Since then I have been taking a combined hrt, at first I experienced pregnancy symptoms, tender breast even to the point when I was lactating! My gp said this was normal? Now for the past 4 weeks my breasts have been unbearable to touch, itchy and just feeling very heavy, surely after being on hrt all this time this shouldn't be happening? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Save    
Margaret Graham

Thank goodness for all these explanation cause I was getting concern. My thing is that I had a hysterectomy November 2015, since April of this year i started to feel my breasts especially the left one started to feel swollen and tender and a bit painful as the time draws nearer to my would period. I am feeling relieved to know that this is associated with menopause as I experience numerous changes in my body as a result of the surgery that was done. Just as a precaution I have an appointment to do my mammogram early June.

1 Like Save    
Beverly Abbasgirl

Hi! Just thought I'd add to the mix... 54, 3 yrs no menstruation, breasts suddenly tender, particularly nipples. Not a worrier, but a researcher, seems to me SOMEWHAT within the range of normal. Will give it a week or so, if no improvement will see a doc.. Will try and post back anything I learn, and would appreciate any further insights here! Be blessed!! Live long and prosper!! Beverly G

2 Likes Save    
terrylynn0262

Wow, this is crazy. I haven't had a period for over a year. I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breasts in my 20's. From as early as my late 30's my breasts have just out of no where become swollen and i would be busting out of my shirts. My cousin was actually with me one day, and we got out of the car and she said, " What the hell just happened. Why are your breasts so big?"We actually laughed it off and i told her it happens every once in a while. I am 54. I had my yearly mammogram done last month, and it was the worst i have ever had. A week after the mammogram both my breast felt full, heavy, warm and huge. They have been like this constantly, and it is very uncomfortable even to do my daily walk. Sometimes i have to take Motrin 800mg for some relief. I was told to come back and take another mammogram and ultrasound because the other mammogram was inconclusive. I have not done it yet because i want them to compare it to the previous year that i had at another facility. This is so uncomfortable.

1 Like Save    
Margaret Graham

I'm 46 and did a hysterectomy 7 months ago and when I saw my breasts became swollen a few months ago , not as huge and painful as yours I became concerned and did a little research.

It has helped me to understand what is going on with my body, hope your next mammogram reading comes back fine.

1 Like Save    
terrylynn0262

Thanks Margaret. So what did you learn from the research? I am just curious.

Save    
Beverly Abbasgirl

I can say that mine has resolved itself.... for now at least

Save    
spitfire60

If you do your research, you can have menopause SYMPTOMS for 10 years after. Tender breast, a day when you eat and eat.. without the bleeding. I'm 64, havent bled in 13 years, my breast are tender on occasion and i still have that one day when I eat all day.. could be diet and heat too.

Save    
spitfire60

I should have read more before commenting. And I wish our comments were the 1st ones seen instead of the last.. Tests done cream can be bought at any health store. But coconut oil is just as good for a lot of things and it's natural. I haven't done a mammogram in 5 years and don't plan to. Every time they swish you, it squishes everything. If uou did have have a cancer mass the squishing can cause it to spread. Duh! I refuse to do anything that puts radiation in my body for up to 5 years. As tiny as the radiation is, it can possibly trigger cancer. There is another test that can be done without squishing. It's called Thermography, compared to mammograms 78% accuracy, thermography is 98% accurate and can detect up to 10 years earlier. Google, is there a painless mamogram? And yes there is.

Save    
wilez17

I had a hysterectomy at age 37 and am now 65. I've had tender and painful breast cysts for a lot of years that would always come and go with my hormone level when I was taking HRT, but I stopped taking them years ago. A couple years ago this pain returned. I thought about what had changed with my diet and did some research on the internet. I found out that the added hormones that is put in our meat and dairy today was the culprit. I personally think this should be illegal ... if it does this to me, what is it doing to children? Pay attention and see what you think. There are many women who complain about it. I have also read that the natural occurring hormones in cow's milk can cause this problem.

Save    
Carol Sampson

Like everyone here, I have not had PMS symptoms for two years, but suddenly do. Have been on HRT a year and a half, but have sudden breast tenderness, cramping and spotting. Sounds like I am just going through the erratic and sporadic symptoms of menopause, like everyone else. One thing of note to all the others, though, with tender breasts. It could be cystic breasts. I always had tender breasts as an adult, and figured it was normal hormonal issues related to the menstrual cycle. But at 42, I had a bad mammogram, and had to go back for diagnostics and an ultrasound. Turns out I have cystic breasts. After talking to others with this issue, have come to find that caffeine is a huge trigger. The first year after that mammogram, I made sure I was caffeine free for a month before my next mammogram, and sure enough, did not have to have diagnostics. Since then, I have come to realize that I enjoy life better without tender breasts, so I have (sadly) gone caffeine-free. This may be a simple diet change you want to try to see if it helps...

Save    
Catherine Davies

My gosh. I thought I was the only one in the world, and here you all are! I'm 55. I had an hysterectomy when I was 41 and my ovaries removed at 43. I have been on estrogen only HRT since I was 44 with no issues. I had a normal mammogram six months ago.

I started taking methotrexate for arthritis six months ago and my extremely sore and swollen breasts seemed to start when I moved to the higher doses of that drug. I even had some evidence of lactation from my right breast. My GP ordered hormone tests and they all came back in the normal range except SHBG which is a protein that binds to sex hormones to carry them around in the blood stream. I also had a mammogram which showed enlarged ducts with some debris. (My boobs are trashed after breast-feeding five kids but nothing they did is anything on this pain and tenderness.)

I missed a couple of doses of methotrexate (taken weekly) and my breast pain seemed to start to diminish. I also stopped my HRT because I was so desperate for some relief. After a month, the pain has substantially subsided but I still have a residual tingly burn and they haven decreased much in size. I am yet to have repeat hormone tests or a repeat mammogram. I will try the flaxseed recommended above and post anything else that changes.

Save    
HU-664426836

Connie Turner

Hello, I recently started having tenderness in my 62 year old breasts...post menopause 10-12 years, plus full hysterectomy 2 years ago with stage 1A ovarian cancer with no chem or radiation! I had an interesting thought to WHY??? Recently (4 weeks ago) we rescued a 7 month old small Chihuahua mix (likes to be in my lap) and maybe my motherly instincts kicked in causing the tenderness. I just had my annual mammogram and it was normal. What do you gals think?

Save    
HU-907426191

I have not read every single word of all entries but very interested in all. I have had tender breasts all my life ( very buxom and I thought that was the trouble). As I went thro' menopause still there. I am now due to become an octogenarian in 2 days time and I still experience painful tender breasts - and I do keep my wits about me for cancer.

DJ /UK

Save    
HU-736545457

I have been in menopause for 8 years. I experienced severe hot flashes and night sweats and this interfered with my quality of life. I began Hormone replacement therapy and stayed on it for 7 years. It took all the symptoms away and I did not have any side effects. Then I decided to wean myself off of HRT for 4 months this year and my symptoms returned. So I went back on HRT and have been on it for 2 months. This past week my breasts and nipples have become sore and tender. I never experienced this before when I was on HRT for 7 years. I don't feel any lumps in my breasts but am getting a little concerned. I am a healthy 58 year old and started menopause at 50. Any thoughts from the community?

Save    
HU-318971850

I wonder if it's stess, diet and exercise? Im postmenopausal and am under heavy stress. The breast tenderness has increased.

Save    
Leah Franklin

I am 54, post menopausal and have the occasional hot flash but this breast tenderness is the most frequent symptom I have.

I have had 2 mammograms in 2 years and an ultrasound but nothing, thank goodness.

Hasxsnyone who has previously posted had any relief?

or is there anyone new who can add to this conversation?

My breasts aren’t painful as such, just tender...it’s bith of them but moreso the left.

im glad I’m not alone. ‍♀️

Save    
HU-504646026

I’m 51 My last period was at least 2 years ago. 2 weeks ago I started with nipple:breast pain, just like when I was first pregnant with the kids.

2 days ago I had a clear distcharge, lots of and then some streaky blood and now I’ve spotted since then.

really worried, has this happened to any of you guys?and what was the outcome?

Ive seen nurse and having ultrasound next week

Save    
Sonia Tolson

I am 56, went through menopause in my late 40's, and have for the last 5 days experienced swelling and "raw" pain in my left breast nipple. Dr has ordered a sonogram and a mammogram for two days from now. My 1/2 sister died at age 40 from breast cancer, so I get regular screenings and mammograms. Am dreading this one cause it is going to hurt with the existing pain, but pray it will be clear. I just can't figure out where this is coming from. Hoping it is fluctuating hormones, like others on here have said.

1 Like Save    
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Stylish, sophisticated living spaces only happen by design. Mary Shipley-Smith has over 20 years of residential... Read More