Total Gym Ultra

nasy

Two weeks ago I purchased the Total Gym Ultra and love it. And so far have not seen any results. My question is to all those who have been using it for years or months, how quickly did you see the results.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MikkiWokk_aol_com

There was a whole other thread dedicated to the Total Gym and similar products. It's not accepting any further follow-ups, so I'm writing in this one, hoping that folks will see it and respond. I have been looking at the Total Gym for a very long time. I have never doubted its quality and benefits, only its cost. I have lately seen the Ultra Glide XL and the PowerGlide Plus, both marketed via HSN by Brenda Dygraff (actually HSN has the Ultra Glude and the PowerGlide Plus; I saw the Ultra Glide XL on www.goodsanddeeds.com). Brenda very pointedly compares her products to the "$1000 machine out there" (of course the TG 1100) and claims her machine has the same or better features. Does anyone know if this is true? Because the price point is much more attractive. Also, does any know the difference between her machines. There had also been an Ultra Glide. I know the Ultra Glide XL is an updated/more feature laden version, but tonight I came across the PowerGlide Plus. I can't figure out how this compares to the Ultra Glide XL. I'd like to make a purchase already. I'm not getting any fitter just reading/writing forum posts about the machines! But I want to be able to make just one more purchase! I've been using a Torso Track (which, by the way, if you want one, get it from HSN -- I bought it through their infomercial and paid WAAAY too much money for it). Anyway, any quick and solid advice about the Dygraff machines will be much appreciated. Please don't push the TG 1100 to me unless the Dygraff machines are really inferior. I just don't want to spend a thousand dollars and don't want to get if off of ebay. THANKS!!!

Save    
firehawk_4u_yahoo_com

The PowerGlide Plus and UltraGlide XL look really limited in terms of incline options. From the pictures, the build quality seems like it would be questionable as well. My folks have the 1100 TG and I've used that and love it. For myself, I picked up the Sensible Gym from Seattle Traders and I find that to be nearly as good. The unit was $159.95 which is cheaper than the HSN model PowerGlide, and I find the build quality of the Sensible Gym to be incredible. This unit really feels like it should cost a lot more money than it does. I live in a smallish downtown apartment, so the ability to easily fold up and roll the Sensible Gym away is also a big plus.

Pros of Sensible Gym:
-Inexpensive (especially compared to high-end Total Gyms)
-Folds up easily
-Incredible value, build quality
-Very smooth board movement (better than TG 1000/1500 IMO)
-Leg attachment included
-Weight bar included
-Very flexible in different incline levels
-Maximizer bands included for non-weight added resistance.
-Squat stand included
-Push-up bar included

Cons:
-There are two separate ropes that each connect to the glide board, so some exercises shown in the infomercial cannot be done on the Sensible Gym (I have not found this to be a limitation yet)
-The squat stand is not as big as I would really like it to be, but it's workable.

It's been about 6 weeks now and I'm starting to see a noticable increase in muscle from using the Sensible Gym. In addition to purchasing the Sensible Gym, I also ordered the Exercise Flip Chart and instructional videos from www.totalgym.com . The Total Gym instructional materials paired with the Sensible Gym are an ideal and cost effective solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Traders website

Save    
aboxers_gvtc_com

I also purchased the Sensible Gym approx. a month ago. I absolutely love it. I had the opportunity to try the Total Gym at a friends and I have not found much of a difference between the two.

If you're like me, you want to save as much money as you can! Seattle Traders was very helpful with my questions, kept me up to date on shipping, and everything went very smoothly.

I've been using my Sensible Gym from the day I received it. First, I spend about 20 to 30 min. on the treadmill, then go into my workout on the Gym. My energy level has definitley increased, I can see some definition in my legs and upper body starting to show. That's exciting. Trust me when I say, "You'll feel the burn". Be careful to not over do it. The motion is so fluid, unlike free weights, it's easy to keep going and push an untrained muscle beyond its limit.

That's been my experience so far. I hope you find something that you'll be as satisfied as I am.

Save    
gbrichan_hotmail_com

I had been shopping for an exercise machine that would do all that these machines claimed. I liked the idea of using gravity and body weight to exercise (glide board). When I compared the details of the machines on the market, I found durability was a key issue. I plan to use the machine I purchase for a long time and on a daily (or every other day) basis. I am a bit taller than most folks ( 6'7" ) and weigh 275 lbs. Most of the machines had disclaimers in their fine print regarding user weight and height limits (i.e. Total Gym 1000 at $200 has a weight limit of 225 lbs.)
I looked at the Total Gym website and found the 11000 model (weight limit 425 lbs.) I called Total Gym and talked to a sales rep. When I mentioned that I had been doing some physical therapy and missed the machine training they forwarded me to someone else who offered the $1000+ machine for $600. No further questions were asked about my PT needs or for a doctors referal. I now have the TG11000 and find it to be a very durable machine. The best thing about it is it's easy to use and store and I FIT! (My wife is 5'3" and uses it with no adjustments needed.) I would recommend the extra $$$ for the quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Total Gym Web Site

Save    
robertcook44_hotmail_com

Well, since no one else here had bothered to answer the original question, I'll at least address it:

There's no hard and fast answer to the question of "how long does it take to see results?" This depends on many factors: what results do you want or expect? How in or out of shape are you at the start? How hard are you working? How hard are you willing to work? How is your diet? How many days a week do you work out? Do you do any cardio work? And so on.

The MAIN thing is. . .don't get hung up on how fast it'll take to see results. Impatience is a curse of Americans, and it's one of the major reasons people give up on exercise and diets. It takes time for you to effect noticeable changes in your body, especially if you want the changes to be durable.

Just eat sensibly, try to exercise most days, alternating Total Gym and cardio, and--in time--you WILL see results! This is a lifelong committment you're making, so don't be impatient to see results overnight. Two weeks is just enough time to get your body used to the idea of strength training. If you stick to it and are persistent, you'll be well satisfied with the differences you'll see in three or six or twelve months.

I've had the Total Gym 1100 (now 11000) for two and a half years, and I've added muscle and solidity to my 6'3" frame. I can't tell you when I noticed real changes. . .it was gradual. . .but it did happen.

By the way, for folks who are interested in the Torso Track, you can do this same exercise--as well as other effective ab exercises--on the Total Gym.

This is an excellent product, and it WILL do what it promises, if you do the work.

Save    
Dotty9

I have been looking at the Total Gym Ultra for some time now, on QVC. They offer it for 199.00,with the t-bar,and another attachment,can't think at the moment what they call it, plus 2 vidios and an instruction chart. I think in the presentation,they said you have to work on it for about a month before you see results. I'm looking forward to getting it,and would love any comments from anyone that has one.
Dotty

Save    
caitlinscoggins

I'm a big fan of the Total Gym XLS - you guys should check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Total Gym

Save    
mike mckeown

WOW!! This thread is 21 years old at the time I'm writing this. The response posted before me is 12 years old and was posted 9 years after the first posts.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Ultra-White Cabinetry in Calgary
Owners turned to a piano finisher for the gloss on this extra-white kitchen
Full Story
Organizing Your Total Home Organizing and Decluttering Guide
Take it slow or be a speed demon — this room-by-room approach to organizing and storage will get your home in shape no matter how you roll
Full Story
Home Gyms Houzz Your Workout: Home Gyms That Get You Moving
Get inspired by these fitness-minded Houzz users, whose exercise rooms raise the bar(bell)
Full Story
Whispering Pine Construction will build your house to your specifications. Our residential new construction crew... Read More