Is riding a Bike really good excercise?

netshound

I know that riding a bike is good for your legs but does it help any other areas? I ride my bike around the neighborhood about 3-4 times a week for about 2-3 miles. I don't feel it anywhere else other than the legs. And believe me, I need help in alot more area's than that!! Is it helping me anywhere else and I'm just not noticing yet?

SaveComment23Like1
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julie_m

Good girl, it does your whole self good, your heart, blood pressure and it helps knee & hip joints and uses up calories. I just worry about crazy drivers, around here I'd be the fittest one in hospital!

Save    
organic_donna

It burns calories, which will help you to lose weight in other areas of your body. Try riding uphill for even more of a challenge.
Donna

Save    
awm03

Biking will work everything but your abdominals. When you start doing longer, harder rides with varied terrain, the other parts of your body will be used in support of your legs.

Save    
clg7067

I used to ride my bike to work every day. The round trip was 10 miles. I never lost a pound, but boy did I lose inches! Lot's of inches!

My coworker was amazed that I never lost weight by the way I looked. I do know my arms got good isometric toning during the hard uphills.

I did this for a couple of year until I got a new job and had to stop.

Save    
ell_in_or

Biking burns tons of calories, but doesn't stress your knees. I love cycling. Plus, unlike running, I don't pour sweat when I ride. The airflow dries it up. :-) My saturday ride burned a little over 1,200 calories, so, yeah, it's good exercise.

Save    
coolmama

It is very good for you.my husband used to do nothing but ride a bike,and his butt was firm and toned....his legs were very muscular too.You dont realize but it does work other areas,even arms.

Save    
getta072003_yahoo_com

I was wanting to lose about 50 pounds. Will riding a bicycle up and down hills help or running. Do anybody know which one is the fastest way to lose weight. ALos I don't want to lose my butt. I need to lose thighs, arms, stomach. Do anybody have any suggestions. I really need the help. This will be my first time ever working to lose weight. I really need to lose about 100 pounds.

Save    
debd18

Biking would be wonderful for you. If you are 100 pounds overweight, running would be very stressful for your knees and other joints. Biking is good for your whole body, but you might want to add some light hand weight exercises and some ab exercises to tone your upper body and tummy. There are a lot of short workouts on youtube.com that you can watch for free that focus on those areas. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn whatever you're doing, so adding weight training will help you lose weight faster.

Do what you can on the bike now, but gradually increase the length of your rides and incorporate more hills as you're able. Your thighs will soon be as hard as rock. Good luck and have fun! I love to bike because it makes me feel like a kid again. You might want to see if there are any biking trails in your area. It's nice to be able to ride without fear of cars.

Here's a link to one of my favorite upper body workouts.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 minute pilates

1 Like Save    
g_noelperez_hotmail_com

Bicycle riding is a good exercise especially if you are over 40 years old. It will give you good stamina and good legs reflexes, just make sure you won't overdo it. And don't forget to wear bike helmet, hand gloves and safety glasses for your extra protection.

1 Like Save    
snowman404_live_com

yea its a really good exercise cause me personaly ride almost everyda about ten miles so yea my legs have defitnely got stonger and my arms cause i ride bmx

Save    
JayEmVee

You know, I lost 100 lbs four years ago and it was because of my bicycle.
True, I also joined Weight Watchers, but if I didn't ride, my weight loss slowed to a crawl. At first it was just a couple of miles but last summer I rode 100 miles without much difficulty.
Biking burns calories like crazy, tones everything south of your waistline, but really, the best thing is that it is FUN!
When I first got on my bike, I was 64 years old, 5'3", 250 lbs, angry and depressed. During that ride I laughed out loud! Now I'm almost a different person. So do it... just ride.

Save    
magnell11

Yes it is! More of your muscle is use while you are biking. Biking a full-body workout. You can do this every morning or in the afternoon. Biking is fun to do with some friends and family. You can lose weight easily when you are biking but don't forget to have a healthy diet.

Save    
Andy2302

I inherited a really nice city hybrid 24 speed 3 years ago, one year after open heart surgery. I'm a new man. It has perked me up, improved all medical numbers like BP & cholesterol, dropped 10% of body weight, increased confidence and attitude.
A good ride has lasting effects beyond calorie counts & sweat. It speeds up your metabolism as your body recuperates from the workout which can take a day or more. I eat more & weigh less now. Plus I feel terrific. Average 12 miles per ride & 1k miles per season.

Save    
micasasucasa

Any exercise is good exercise. Biking does provide an over all health benefit. Try biking some hills, or pedal really fast then slow down and then pedal really fast again. Switching up your routine can help and may see better results. If you are looking to add some toning to your exercising. After a good bike ride, hop off and try 25 squats, 10 push-up (on your knees is fine) 30 jumping jacks. Exercising can get be fun, try new things.

1 Like Save    
elleau

It more on a cardio exercise. You need to have exercise variations if you want to achieve optimal health.

Save    
nana_1213

I HAVE A BAD BACK BUT REALLY NEED TO LOSE A LOT OF WEIGHT. WOULD BIKING BE BETTER THAN WALKING?

Save    
Findley Watt

contrary to awm 03 comment, cycling does use abdominals quite extensively although it does depend on what type of cycling you are doing, I am currently a A graded racer with a elite racing licence, in the upper echelons of the domestic cycling scene, my coach prescribes intensive exercises focused on my abdominal muscles this can help in climbing, sprinting and also TT as having strong abdominal muscles is crucial to maintain a comfortable yet aerodynamic position for extended periods of time.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Health and fitness

A nutrition tracker iphone app should be used in such case to know the calorie intake in a particular day. This tracker keeps a check on your daily food intake and calories and guides you on the appropriate calorie intake in a day.

Save    
Krystle

Bicycling is obviously great for your legs but it's also a great steady state, cardio vascular exercise as well. Keep on pedaling! ;)

Save    
Anna_Z

I use Map My Ride on my phone...........gives distance, calories burned, amount of time you rode, and even shows the route you took. I like it.

Save    
krissy377

Well it's definitely good for your hear and pressure. So keep riding!!

Save    
lucillle

I am currently a A graded racer with a elite racing licence, in the upper echelons of the domestic cycling scene

lol.

Save    
Findley Watt

unfortunately - lucille - it is worthy of a lol now - 2 years later I cant even come close to that title any more - I still rack up 300+ km a week and still agree that cycling is best form of exercise hands down

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Storage 20 Ways to Store and Style Your Bike Inside
Artfully placed bikes add a cool spin to room design
Full Story
Decorating Guides Two-Wheeling Design Ideas for Bike-to-Work Week
Salute Eco-Friendly Commuting With Some Bicycle Power for Your Home
Full Story
Life 6 Tips for Teaching Your Kids to Be Good Neighbors
Everyone wins when your children learn to respect boundaries, get help when they need it and show others they care
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever