What happened to white corn meal?

AMRadiohead3885

I love home made southern style corn bread, made with white corn meal, buttermilk, vegetable oil, a pinch of salt, baking soda and baking powder. No eggs, sugar or wheat flour added.

The best bread is made from pure, natural, stone-ground meal. Just ground up dried whole kernels of white corn. Nothing added and nothing taken away. I used to buy it at the local supermarket; the most popular brand was Bob's Red Mill, but there were others. It was plentiful in health food stores where it could usually be purchased in bulk.

A little under a year ago, I went to buy some more at the local supermarket and they were out of stock. I waited about a week, and they still didn't have it. After several visits, I concluded they no longer carried it in stock. The store employees didn't have a clue.

So I tried several other supermarkets, same thing. Next time I was in Nashville, I looked in several supermarkets and health food stores there. Zilch! Everyone seems to have plenty of yellow corn meal, but that doesn't produce the same texture of bread as white. Martha White "enriched" white corn meal is still available everywhere, but I want the real, plain, unaltered stuff.

Can anyone tell me why this product abruptly disappeared off the market everywhere, a little less than a year ago?

Don in TN

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sherwoodva

Don't know why the stores don't carry it, but you can buy it from the source: http://www.bobsredmill.com/white-cornmeal.html or from iHerb.com

Save    
worriedone

I would also be sure it is marked GMO free. Genetically Modified Corn is prevalent in everything. It's cheap and makes those corporations even richer for buying it. May be harmful to humans. Might take five years until the "leaky guts" -- that are even showing up in very young -- are linked to the bt corn. The corn makes its own pesticide. Day and night. 24/7/365.

No known tests on humans. (Animals have shown problems, but for some reason it gets hushed).

The pesticide works by basically blowing up the stomachs of the caterpillers. Hmmmmm.....

Save    
kittymoonbeam

As I understood it, white corn and popcorn are still GMO free.

Stay far away from GMO corn, soy and canola. Look for the USDA organic symbol on meat to avoid gmo corn and soy fed animal products.

Save    
HU-78958639

started seeing a shortage of Martha white cornmeal 2016, you can find yellow cornmeal easy cornmeal mix but not the white....white....Iawhite....white....I also wonder whats going on......

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining Got Hand-Me-Down Dinnerware? Make a Memorable Meal
They might be mismatched and not your style, but those inherited plates and forks can help bring meaning to your table
Full Story
Decorating Guides Decorating 101: How to Use White Right
If you’ve ever been in white-paint-swatch limbo, you know white can be tricky to work with. Here’s how to get the fresh look you’re after
Full Story
Kitchen Design Dream Spaces: 12 Beautiful White Kitchens
Snowy cabinets and walls speak to a certain elegance, while marble counters whisper of luxury
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever