A Physical Therapist Told Me

jannie

MY DH goes to a physical therapy gym several times a week for a medical problem. I go along as an onlooker/ to "coach" and support hubby. I've had many conversations with the owner/ Lead Physical Therapist. I asked him straight out what's the best exercise for a woman with big hips, thighs and "seat". The answer "Walking". I don't need fancy equipment to do that! I know my cousin walks one to five miles a day and she lost 30 pounds!

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tripletmom83

Hi Jannie. I know walking is the best thing to do, but it is so cold and snowy here, and dark by the time I get home from work. I have no where to put a treadmill, so my solution has been to exercise with my Wii. I bought the WiiFit plus game and absolutely love it. I do Yoga, strength training and the balance games. For aerobic exercise I use the Just Dance games. I am going on 60 and I keep up pretty well with my 30 year old daughter, who by the way comes over once or twice a week to exercise with me. I have used it every day for about a month now, and along with eating a healthy diet, the weight is slowly coming off. But more importantly my strength and balance is improving.

1 Like Save    
socks

You can also get one of Leslie Sansone's walking videos for a change from the wii. I actually have 3 different ones, and it is helpful for times I don't want to actually go out. You can do as little as 1 mile. Good for you, Triplemom, on a healthy start for 2013. Keep up the good work.

Save    
tripletmom83

Thanks Socks,
I used to have Leslie Sansone's Tapes on VHS, and never got them on DVD. I should look for them. I think Target has them.

Save    
physician123

Yes very true walking is the best exercise to loose weight. But you can walk according to your diet and your diet should also be healthy not too oily. you can burn calorie this can really helps you.

Save    
scottdale23

This is true that you can loose your weight by walkin. At a weight loss rate of ý -1 pound per week, it will likely take you at least 20 weeks to lose 20 pounds. Losing weight at this pace is safe and will help you keep the weight off long term. To accomplish a weight loss of ý - 1 pound per week, try to burn an extra 250-500 calories per day by walking. If you find you're not burning this many calories by walking alone, simply reduce your calorie intake through diet in addition to walking.

2 Likes Save    
jensyen ( z7 MD )

Along with walking I would suggest you spot exercise. I found this exercise plan a long time ago and still use it. From Family Circle Magazine 11/74 Titled:
15-Minute Spot Exercises That Take Inches Off-Everywhere! I posted it in one of my Ideabooks where you can check it out. Hope it helps. http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/48407306/thumbs/exercises-15-min-a-day

1 Like Save    
kittymoonbeam

Yes to walking. Also get yourself a mini trampoline or rebounder. You can do it every day inside when it's cold out. Move your arms. The bouncing will get your lymph going and that helps with flushing out your system so it's easier to lose weight.

The most important weight loss idea is to get your liver and metabolism in good health. Then the weight loss follows because that's the natural way the body works. Your liver will take care of the extra weight and the lymph system sends it on it's way out but you need to help by eating things that are good to your liver and other organs.

I started with the book Fat Flush Plan and then read Master your Metabolism and Mastering Leptin. I really like Mastering Leptin because it explains exactly WHY people gain and lose weight. There is no mystery any more. You eat and sleep and move in ways that are friendly to your organs and your body will reset to it's young, healthy weight. If you want a quick idea of some easy rules that work search The '5 rules of the Leptin Diet'. Any of the new books on metabolism will get you on the path but the easiest to read and most inspiring is the Fat Flush plan. Funny name because it's really an easy liver/ endocrine detox book but when you get your organs healthy, the weight loss is just a natural result.

I know people say they get hungry, they don't feel motivated to keep on a diet. When your organs are working better and your Leptin is working for you, the cravings stop and your mood improves. I tried it and it isn't woo-woo.

1 Like Save    
sherwoodva

Yes to walking. After I retired, I took up walking. Now I do 4 miles a day, five to six days a week. We have a big mall just six miles away; when the weather is bad, I walk there. I never buy anything, just walk. I lost 12 pounds the first year and this year I am holding steady, as I am at my ideal weights. Some days it is hard to get motivated but I keep at it. I also lift weights three times a week, as I have osteoporosis in my arms. My doctor said it is possible to strengthen bones, so I am hopeful.

Save    
bleusblue2

There's good information here -- I'm just bumping it for future reference! thanks. If sherwoodva is still around, I do wonder how old you are if you don't mind telling. Thanks!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life A Therapist’s Guide to Dealing With Conflict at Home
Piles of laundry and dirty dishes are a part of cohabitating. Here’s how to accept it and move forward
Full Story
Kitchen Design Survey Results: Kitchen Trends That Seem Here to Stay
More than a third of respondents in Houzz’s annual kitchen trends report now have the means to remodel. Here’s what else they told us
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: A Lakeside Home in Vermont Spreads Its Wings
Patient renovations and additions make a family home a nurturing place for working and relaxing
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever