Best for a quick weight loss?

mzmint

I know all the rules(more or less) but if I wanted to do a drop of 4-5 pounds even for a quick temporary fix what is the best course of action. A get-together in 2 weeks and I would like to be trimmer. Any ideas? Thanks

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jprakia

Burn more calories than you eat, there is no other trick when it comes right down to it :(

1 Like Save    
lunchlady1948

When I wanted to do that I did the first two weeks of the South Beach Diet~~I lost several pounds fast but of course gained them all back, because I did not follow the rules for the weeks after that. Just an idea:)

Save    
ruthieg__tx

salad and protein in small portions and as the first poster said....move...move...move...

there really isn't any secret to weight loss and no amount of pills will help...it truly is about intake and output..simple as that..

1 Like Save    
shea

The others are correct, of course, that for a sustained weight loss you must simply take in fewer calories than you burn. I realize you understand that, and that is not what you are asking. So that the info I'm going to offer is not misunderstood, I will repeat: for successful weight loss, you must consume fewer calories than your body burns. And the best and healthiest way to accomplish that is with a balanced, nutritious diet and lots of exercise. Those who lose gradually, as opposed to rapidly, usually are more successful in keeping the pounds off.

HOWEVER, what you are asking is, is there any method to drop some pounds quickly. And the answer is yes. By eating foods that are diuretic and slashing calories, you can drop 3-5 pounds in a few days. But be aware that this is water loss, not fat loss, and those pounds will return when you go back to your old way of eating.

I have resorted to this a few times when I've had short notice of a big event and want to fit into a nice dress. I have lost up to 5 pounds in a few days.

Just make sure you eat healthy foods and take vitamins, and only do this for a short period of time.

Eat mostly vegetables and fruits, of course no additions to veggies that add calories, such as cheese or butter. Stay away from potatoes, rice, pasta and starches. Add protein such as tuna or those chicken breast strips that come in packages (I think Oscar Meyer and Tyson make this) in small amounts to salad greens, and top with a little fat-free dressing, no croutons, etc.

Best choice of grains, in moderation, would be a small amount of unsweetened oatmeal, and "diet" whole wheat bread. I like Nature's Own lite wheat bread. Make a sandwich with some mustard, cucumbers, tomato slices.

Limit dairy products and use only fat-free or low fat (1%). You will get a fair amount of calcium if you are eating lots of fruit and veggies. And take a calcium supplement.

Drink plenty of water. Unsweetened tea is also diuretic.

Just focus on fruit such as oranges, berries, pineapple or melon, 2 or three servings a day; and veggies such as asparagus, celery, broccoli, summer squash, tomatoes, as much as you want of these.

Stay away from anything salty! And of course no junk food or sweets. When limiting calories, it is important that every bite be nutritious.

And if you've cut back too much and don't feel well, eat some extra fruit and a slice of lite bread or a few whole wheat crackers, and some protein in the form, again, of tuna or chicken strips.

Once again, I'm only advocating this for short-term, a few days, definitely no more than a week.

For a successful long-range diet, you'd want to use the above suggestions, but add in more whole grains, low-fat dairy and protein (healthy ones like fish, nuts, and lean cuts of meat) until total calories are in the 1200-1500 range. And exercise!

Good luck in finding a way to shed a few in a healthy manner!

2 Likes Save    
dixiedo

mzmint.... I go through this same dilemma when ever a special event is on the horizon. I stress that crap out of myself, saying if I could lose just 5 lbs I will be so much happier, thinner, more beautiful, etc, etc, but honestly... do you think anyone else will notice a 5lb weight loss?? I have come to realize, unless I weigh 15 lbs total, a 5 lb difference isn't going to be very noticeable. Instead, I foucus my attention to some new makeup, hair products, sparkly jewelry, etc, that others WILL notice and go and have a great time!

Eat healthy, stay active, drink water and ENJOY LIFE!!!!

1 Like Save    
mermaidy12

Hi! After lookign though many reviews (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dietclub/msg012254052416.html) I came to a conclusion that proper diet and regular workouts are the best way to lose weight. Actually, if you want to lose weight healthily, you should lose about 4 kilos per month. Not more!

Save    
worriedone

Cleanses work for me - but oy, they are taxing on the system. must be done during weekend to be close to bathroom. good clean water.

No sugar ever anymore for me. NONE. No flour/wheat/rye/ either.

I go down to 900 daily cals. Not easy. (lean proteins, tons of veggies, healthy oils/fats) I get grouchy.

I drink a reasonable amount of water for my weight, too. Not too much. To keep hydrated and as a diuretic.

Good luck!! :)

Save    
kim30

I use beaded fastin from dramatic weight loss and I have been on it now for a yr and have lost a little over 50 lbs, The pills work fast!

Save    
Petunia

Try the Paleo diet. I have lost 10 pounds in less than 7 days.

Save    
GrnThum

Have you tried the fat loss for idiots diet? I use it currently and I have already lost 20 lbs in one month.

Here is a link that might be useful: fat loss for idiots diet

Save    
sonytana

Hello, recently I became interested in shedding weight , my goal is to lose 20 kg in 6 months , which is why searching the internet for the best tips and I came across a great page that leads you Monica . Check it out : http://losekilograms.com/how-to-lose-weight-2/
Really great I describe it all here . Sonya greet :)

Save    
PRO
Healthy At Home

Besides a healthy diet, you need to exercise regularly. I lost 20 pounds in 2 months by following these tips with this weight loss success story http://stayhealthyblog.com/weight-loss/lose-weight-without-exercise-success-story/

Save    
lindi49

Hello. Actually exercise has now been determined to be of little importance in weight loss. In toning, yes, absolutely, but not loss. I lost 50lbs last year from Christmas to May simply by following the WW online diet. I'm not able to exercise aside from walking a block or so, so exercise was not part of my diet. So for anyone who simply cannot exercise, or hates it, :), don't ever think you can't diet and lose weight simply by cutting calories. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html

Save    
blueheron

Try Dr Phil's 20/20 DIet. For five days eat only the 20 foods on his list. It really works. The foods seem to be helpful in losing weight. Look up the 20 foods on his web site. You want to continue to add foods he advises after the first 5 days. You should continue to lose.

Save    
Rebecca Swets

Nothing works better for me than avoiding food for a dinner time. I have my last meal around 5 pm that's all. There are many diets but some women just can't follow them. I am the same, I can't eat what other say I should

Save    
sprtphntc7a

Trim Healthy Mama Plan....been on it a month and lost 9lbs., feel fantastic. no sugar highs or lows....

Plan: Low carbs and then only gentle carbs...No sugar not just in your coffee, but in anything, think: ketchup, BBQ sauce, tomato sauce etc...lots of lean protein and healthy fats... i love the way i feel, no 3:00 slump, have energy all day which burns those calories. LOVE this plan!!! so many recipes and everything has been fantastic.

Save    
K Cann

A wealth of advice has been given and you, the orignial Poster, no doubt already lost that 5lbs.! Good. Must add to all this good advice that includes avoiding big dinners (or any!), exercise, low carbs, paleo diet, drinking water, no sugar, Dr. Phil's 20/20, the South Beach, 900 calories, etc... NO BOOZE! No wine, nuthin'! My vote is on lean meats, tons of greens to the point of "can't chew anymore", little to no grains, NO sugar, including alcohol with daily consumption near 900 calories plus moving exercise - it's hard but doable!

Save    
lindi49

I'm on Weight Watchers and had posted earlier...I still have wine and enjoy a glass now and then and count it towards my weekly "extra" points. I still have a slice of birthday cake when it's offered...I still eat whatever I want on special occasions. Don't "diet"..just eat healthy, and if you are trying to lose weight, count calories, but don't deprive yourself of things you enjoy. Just do it all sensibly.

So far, since Jan 1st, or thereabouts, I'm down just about 30lbs. Hope you're having the same success!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 7 Ways to Design Your Kitchen to Help You Lose Weight
In his new book, Slim by Design, eating-behavior expert Brian Wansink shows us how to get our kitchens working better
Full Story
Decorating Guides Quick Fix: Erase Water Rings from Furniture
A few household items can quickly rejuvenate tarnished wood tabletops
Full Story
Monthly Home Checklists Your Checklist for Quick Houseguest Prep
Follow these steps to get your home ready in a hurry for overnight visitors
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Dream Baths is a complete design-build-remodel firm located in the Historical German Village area of downtown... Read More