Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jellyben_gw

Repair vs. replace a refrigerator?

jellyben
12 years ago

GE Arctica side by side

Our fridge seems to be on the fritz-first the ice/water dispenser stopped working, then it wasn't cooling properly(temps kept creeping up), then it seemed to be running OK last night, and now it seems to not be cooling at all and the temp. display aren't even on. This all began 24 hours ago. It is about 6 years old and we are debating whether it is worth having somebody come out and look at it. IS there any conventional wisdom with regard to repair vs. replace. I imagine a repair is pretty costy. But so is a new fridge! (the plus side would be getting rid of the side by side which we hate)

Comments (13)

• jakvis
    12 years ago

Before doing anything make sure you have cleaned the condenser coils. You will find out how in your Care & Use manual.
    if the coils are plugged up the the refrigerator will not cool properly. Seeing that your frig is 6 years old I think this is the most likely culprit.

The condenser should be cleaned at least once a year and possibly twice a year if you have indoor pets.

• asolo
    12 years ago

One pretty common cause of what you've described is failure of a relay. It's a little plug-in thingy that many (most?) techs carry on their truck. If that's it, the part will probably $75.00 or so and repair will take minutes.

From what you've described, I'd risk the repair call. Since you'll be pulling the unit out anyway do, indeed, clean out your coils as jakvis recommended.

I would be surprised to learn your compressor failed, but it happens. In any event, refs are typically pretty easy to diagnose for competent techs.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

I have an Arctica SxS model PSH23SGPABS that also developed some trouble at a bit past 6 years of age. The freezer evaporator fan wasn't running at full speed. I have experience working on appliances, have access to some service info, and was able to DIY the repair. I can say now that the unit isn't particularly friendly for disassembly, although it's doable. I changed the evaporator fan first, which may not have been necessary as it did not fix the problem. Ended up the motherboard (yes, it has a computer motherboard that controls all the operational components) had gone bad. Found one on eBay for about half the retail price. Was it cost-effective to do the repair? Yes, considering the cost of a new refrigerator, even if something goes wrong again in a couple/few years. However I did save the cost of labor vs. paying a servicer.

• jellyben
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all. I didn't realize a service call was so cheap-it's $40 and I was thinking it would be more like $150-so I have someone coming this afternoon to take a look! Hoping it's a quick fix.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

jellyben, you didn't cite the model number so I can't say on your unit, but some Arctica models (such as mine) have a 3-phase, variable-speed, variable-voltage compressor that does not take a start relay.

Also, depending on your model, it may have what's called a "jelly-roll" condensor that isn't supposed to need cleaning in normal usage conditions. That being said, it still will collect dust and cleaning isn't a bad idea. I blew the dust out of mine with an air compressor when doing the aforementioned repair.

• asolo
    12 years ago

In most instances I've encountered, the loss of food from undiscovered failure was as much or more than the service call and repair. Hope that's not the case for you. Hope it turns out to be something cheap/simple.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

If the cost of the repair exceeds 1/2 the cost of a new unit, then buy the new unit.

• jellyben
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again. The repair was $400-it needed a new control board. As much as I would have enjoyed getting a new french door fridge we could live with a $400 repair!

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Yup. :-)

Unfortunate you couldn't DIY the repair. As I mentioned, I got the board for mine on eBay (new-in-box from a storefront seller) for $125. It was a factory-substitution from the original part number and required a bit of rewiring but included instructions that were clear enough.

• molossermom
    12 years ago

Did replacing the board fix the water dispenser? Mine was leaking so i just disconected it altogether as a temp. "fix".

I'm always amazed with the savings when choosing the DIY route. And great to know the electrical boards are available & do-able . Every time I've bought a new appliance the sales man has used the cost of the replacement boards to scare me into buying the overpriced extended waranty.

• JillyM
    12 years ago

Help!!! This couldn't have happened at a more inopportune time (just came out of surgery and now this- ugh). Anyway, In August my kitchenaid kbrp20elss counterdepth bottom freezer needed service when I found everything defrosted. For 178.00 I got a hard start - relay part I believe it was called. It took a few mins to replace. Today after finding everything defrosted once again, I am told its the compressor. I have custom cabinets and this fridge fits perfectly with no room to spare anywhere - it was kindof boxed in. Soooo is it better to replace refrig and will I ever find one with exact specs or replace the compressor on this discontinued model. Also wondering- since I like the look - I wonder if I can use the door from this fridge on another if I found one that would work in the space.

• angel317
    12 years ago

The refrigerator side on our 2002 GE refrigerator keeps freezing in certain areas. This has been a problem for at least 6 months, and it seems to be getting worse. We adjusted the temperature to the warmest setting and it's still freezing. In addition to that, The water dispenser stopped working 2weeks ago When I press on the ice dispenser I can hear it trying to work. The model# is G-SS25LMF. We do not have a manual for it.

• timtrujillo27
    13 days ago

My whirlpool refrigerator is almost 8 yrs old & was told my the repair man,that it was the computer board,is it worth fixing or is it better to buy a mew refrigerator??Goung to charge me over 300 dollars & 95 dollars for the inspection