What paper is best for greeting cards/postcards?

mrstlc

I'd like to use some of my own pictures to make greeting cards and postcards, but I don't know if there is better paper than cardstock to use. What would you recommend?

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jillzey

Generally photos look best on photo paper. We like the glossy photo cardstock and buy Office Depot brand in the 100 piece box when they have it on sale. Only drawback is that you can't print on the back (matte finish) side - the ink never dries! :( So for greeting cards I use a seperate piece of paper with the inside message printed on it and glue it inside.
You can also get prescored cardstock in glossy and matte finish for cards. What I used had a "peel and stick" strip for attaching the message sheet.
Brochure paper might be another option for greeting cards. Heavier than regular paper and can be printed both sides, it comes in glossy and matte finish.
Your printer and its settings will determine the outcome so you will need to experiment with different papers and settings to see which work best on your printer.

Jill

Save    
creativemom

I like to use a buff colored card stock. Wal-Mart carries different card stock in reams of 150. They have pastels, all white, and natural (buff, cream, light sage green, light blue) I prefer to attach the picture using a layering method. I pick a color of cardstock (such as a dark green, if there is grass or trees in the photo) and cut it 1/4" larger than the photo and layer them. It really looks nice that way. You can buy "mat Stacks" at scrapbook stores. It is a book of matting paper. This works great.

Here is a link that might be useful: mat stacks

Save    
june_nd

Have you tried Georgia-Pacific Coated Card Stock? I use this with pictures and it works great. You can print on both sides too.
I cut each sheet in half and make 2 cards out of it like the boughten cards.

Save    
Dixiespell

My favorite is "hp brochure and flyer paper, gloss, 44 lb."
Can be printed on both sides and produces crisp, clean photos. Quite affordable.
jackie (hueytown,al)

Save    
Gramof3

I love Iridescent Paper by Gartner Studios, Inc. I get it in Staples or Office Max. The colors are beautiful & the iridescent quality of the paper allows the ink that you printed in appear iredescent too. You'll see what I mean when you print something on it. It comes in 40 sheet packs, usually near the stationery papers.I've been lucky enough to find it on sale for as little as $3, but have paid full price up to $6 for the same pack. Either way, it's worth it. I have never found any paper that I like better at any price. Let us know how you make out.

Save    
petersteeler

I suggest Glama Natural Recycled Paper.. That's perfect for greeting cards/postcard

Here is a link that might be useful: Glama Natural Recycled Paper

Save    
petersteeler

I suggest Glama Natural Recycled Paper.. That's perfect for greeting cards/postcard

Here is a link that might be useful: Glama Natural Recycled Paper

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Call: Show Us Your Original Holiday Card
Calling all designers! We want to see your original Christmas and Hanukkah card designs
Full Story
DIY Projects 14 Fun and Easy DIY Projects With Paper
Look at the abundant and affordable material in a whole new way with these stylish creations
Full Story
Life Simple Pleasures: Put Pen to Paper
Note writing a lost art? Not when you have a nice selection of papers, a dedicated spot and the right frame of mind
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We are a top ranked remodeling company in North Columbus and Delaware, OH. We specialize in basements, bathrooms,... Read More