Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stellar1_gw

Can anyone tell me anything about these?

stellar1
18 years ago

Hello,

These are a family piece that we have little information on. Does anyone know anything about these? The only info that we have is that the artist's name is Catherine

Mc Cullough. Below her name it says Pat. Pending. There are five round based ones and one oblong base. The are 2 1/4' tall and the bases are about 5' in diamater. We have never seen anything like these and are unsure as to there origins or worth. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• lindac
    18 years ago

What are they made out of? Is there a country of origin on the bases?
    Linda C

• stellar1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for getting back with me. We are not sure what they are made of. They may possibly be soapstone but again we are not sure. There is no country of origin on the base either. The only thing on the base is the artist name and "Pat Pend". The size should also be inches and not feet. Sorry about that!

• lindac
    18 years ago

So.....they are not "pottery"...that is unglazed bisque?....not that composition stuff? But if they are soap stone they would have to be carved individually and would not be patent pending. Wonder if the patent was granted?
    There ought to be a way to do a search on the artist's name at the patent office....probably available on line.
    Because they say patent pending I am sure they are not one of a kind.
    Perhaps they are the babies from a movie? Or a children's book?
    Sorry....never seen anything like them.
    Linda C

• centralcacyclist
    18 years ago

I did find a reference to expired ebay listing:

Set of ANTIQUE Children Figurines Catherine McCullough

$60.00

And here is a similar item by the same artist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plaques

• lindac
    18 years ago

Now that I see them closer...I would say they are 1930's or so....and made out of a sort of plaster of Paris stuff....almost like chalk ware.
    I swear I remember seeing those plaques in someone's house when I was a little kid!
    Linda C

• donruth_lworld_net
    17 years ago

stellar1 - I have one of your catherine mccullough baby figurines. It's a crying baby with a puppy leaning up on him, licking his face with baby blocks at his feet. It has "Catherine McCullough" on the side of the base with the word "copywright." I found a US patent office site with 2 listings for Catherine McCullough but there was no picture nor description of the item. My mom is 93 and she's had it for as long as I can remember. Have you found out anything more about them?

• vjhoeft
    8 years ago

My mother had 3 figurines. The baby with the puppy and blocks; the baby pulling on his bootie and the baby watching a kitten eating out of a bowl. All have the McCullough name and 'Copywright'.

I remember them sitting on her dresser ever since I lived at home. Starting at 1952. I'm sure that she had them many years. Maybe from her mother.

• HU-350963516
    last month
    last modified: last month

I just discover one of the babies in my mom's china cabinet, holding the bottle. Was searching for info when I came across your info. Just located some infor on ebay seller (justtimeworn).

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Did a little searching. and one seller on eBay calls it 'salt art' - not sure what that means...?

Saw it called 'salt stone' as well.